• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

I agree, but this game is getting a ton of negativity bouncing around it in a way I haven't seen from the groupthink surrounding other fighting games. The game has only been out for 3 weeks and everybody thinks they have the whole thing figured out.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

Shouta

I don't know what it is when I'm playing in Kadey's room but it's like the net goes to utter poop. Can't show off my kuma skills in there. =(

MvC3 did (and still does) get a lot of hate for some fundamental flaws. The difference though is that I don't remember people talking as if MvC3 was totally figured out right out of the gate.

People were calling it "Baby's First Fighting Game" from day one.

I love the game, but it got (and still gets) a lot of unfair hate.

DR2K

Banned
You know if EVO wanted to save time insead of 2 vs 2 they should just make it a scramble mode tournament. I'm sure it'll go over just as well.

Toski

If EVO is going to make SFxT 2v2 as the tournament standard for the game, they should just drop it and replace it with Skullgirls or MvC2 or something else. Making it 2v2 and banning gems should just get the game dropped automatically from tournaments running multiple games just due to how un-tournament friendly it is.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If I was actually seriously into this game, I'd be furious with the 2v2 decision. It's terrible for those of us who don't really have people we can practice with regularly or people willing to drive/fly out to majors.

K701

Banned
I don't know what it is when I'm playing in Kadey's room but it's like the net goes to utter poop. Can't show off my kuma skills in there. =(

I know what you mean. I kept missing my Ryu links and those are cake. I think she's streaming at the same time.

Kadey you should record and upload instead.

Riposte

Says the man sporting the weird fruit-cake guy wearing 80's era Elton John glasses....

not sure if serious

Evo should just be a damn week long event that has every single note worthy fighting game.

To bad that wont ever happen

I agree. It is already the Super Bowl and the Olympics of Fighting games combined, so it should live up to that kind of shit. Also Catherine tournaments plz.

Says the man sporting the weird fruit-cake guy wearing 80's era Elton John glasses....

hwndb9nb.gif

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
If I was actually seriously into this game, I'd be furious with the 2v2 decision. It's terrible for those of us who don't really have people we can practice with regularly or people willing to drive/fly out to majors.

No offense, but if those criteria fit you then you had no chance of a payout at Evo anyway. I say this as someone who also fits those criteria.

theowne

Probably. Its been around the longest and has had the most revisions, so it makes sense. Which is why I mentioned its unlikely to get dropped, even though its boring as a mofo.

Not sure why you're digging so hard for excuses for SF4's life span. It's unlikely to get dropped because it's still popular, people still enter in droves, and stream viewers still tune in in droves.

It's that simple.

No offense, but if those criteria fit you then you had no chance of a payout at Evo anyway. I say this as someone who also fits those criteria.

People don't go to EVO just so they can win money.

sleepykyo

I know what you mean. I kept missing my Ryu links and those are cake. I think she's streaming at the same time.

Kadey you should record and upload instead.
Pretty sure Kadey has the bandwidth to spare . I on the other hand have none. Where is wc crowd?

Thinks back to NCR‚ oh yeah.

d0c_zaius

Not sure why you're digging so hard for excuses for SF4's life span. It's unlikely to get dropped because it's still popular, people still enter in droves, and stream viewers still tune in in droves.

It's that simple.

I'm not "digging" for anything. Dunno why you are "fishing" for something that isn't there (or singling my posts out from others saying the same thing). In the same quote, I also say its unlikely to be dropped.

Saying that its popularity has some to do with the time its been around and the revisions its had (which also seems simple) isn't anything other than using logic. You don't need to get defense force-ish. As people mentioned, MVC3 got hated on pretty hard in the beginning as well. Others have also mentioned that people didn't have the same claims of having figured everything out within 3 weeks of the titles release as many people seem to be doing with SFxT. It takes time for systems to settle and people to understand that same graphics does not mean same game. Relying on what is familiar and comfortable should be expected.

I'm glad you like SF4 though, more interest in any fighting game is a good thing for all of them in general. Hopefully they scrap shortcuts and comeback mechanics for 5. However it would be nice if people that liked SF4, would actually play other fighting games (even non-capcom ones) and give them a chance to succeed, but generally this is not the case from my experience.

If I had a choice between a safe, established game vs an unknown blow up or time out game when it comes to a tourney, I'm obviously going to go with what I have more experience with. Doesn't mean I like one more than the other in the slightest though.

Given how many new games there were this year (and others that are coming), its not unreasonable to have the oldest put to rest to allow the others to breathe. The season finale of SSF4:AE on WNF last week was the most unhype finale I've seen in a long time, no one cared at all. So I imagine I am not the only one waiting to see SF4 put to rest.

By that criteria, why should 90% of the people who go to tournaments even go?

Not everybody is going to end up in the money. It's about going to compete and see where you stand.

I go to tournaments all the time. I'm not finishing in the money in anything. I go to compete and the experience.

I'm just gonna accept that this kind of F.U.D. will happen with the release of any major fighting game.

when people like jwong, ultradavid, or any top player talk shit, it's not set in stone. They're players with opinions and quirks like anyone and they will bounce back and forth a lot, publicly, as they play.

I'll put more faith in people's assessments of the game when the game develops. For now, I saw too many overlong, meter wasting, scaled-to-hell combos and about a hundred missed opportunities for a safe switch to a healthy character this past weekend.

For now, gameplay-wise, there ain't much to criticize in the game itself. besides the gem system because nobody knows what the hell to do with it (to keep it or not to keep it) and Capcom's "fix" is probably the best example of a company not listening and not getting it and just throwing any old crap in there to get people to shut up.

theowne

Given how many new games there were this year (and others that are coming), its not unreasonable to have the oldest put to rest to allow the others to breathe. The season finale of SSF4:AE on WNF last week was the most unhype finale I've seen in a long time, no one cared at all. So I imagine I am not the only one waiting to see SF4 put to rest.

And once enough people are waiting to see it put to rest that the stream numbers and participation goes down substantially, it will be dropped.

Not sure exactly what you're hoping for. "Let's drop a game people want to play and want to watch because it's old and I don't like it".

Fuck this game, I'm working too hard with my team. Two of my VF Buddies are in the top ten of the leaderboards(gl0ry and Gentleman Thief)Because they have a solid reversal character on point. Fuck this shit, I'm dropping my gorgeous Vega, and going with Akuma, Ryu, Julia Or Howrang with my Law

This just popped up in my mind as far as SFxT being a 2v2. In some matches I've played in ranked, I defeated the starting player in both rounds consecutively without the back up player ever getting a chance to get in the game. Yes it's 2 out of 3 and double elim, but imagine the frustration or how demoralizing it would be to play in your tournament matches and not even get in on the action before you lose a match or are bounced into losers or eliminated because your teammate got mauled or for some reason didn't tag you in. Sure it won't happen every round, but it's not unlikely to happen. This is part of the fear of playing 2v2 in SFxT.

d0c_zaius

And once enough people are waiting to see it put to rest that the stream numbers and participation goes down substantially, it will be dropped.

Not sure exactly what you're hoping for. "Let's drop a game people want to play and want to watch because it's old and I don't like it".

I'm not saying drop it to drop it (and I was overly clear about it). I'm saying that there are too many games (especially by next years evo) and it's logical to drop the oldest first to give others the chance to have a focus (or even just to be included). Assuming next year has everything this year including VF5, skullgirls and other titles, which are YOU picking to include? The highest stream numbers and largest exposure? I'm sure there are people that think not just the most marketed should get consideration.

This is not radical thinking (or why you are trying to paint me as a badguy). But my point was made and there is no where to go with this debate.

This just popped up in my mind as far as SFxT being a 2v2. In some matches I've played in ranked, I defeated the starting player in both rounds consecutively without the back up player ever getting a chance to get in the game. Yes it's 2 out of 3 and double elim, but imagine the frustration or how demoralizing it would be to play in your tournament matches and not even get in on the action before you lose a match or are bounced into losers or eliminated because your teammate got mauled or for some reason didn't tag you in. Sure it won't happen every round, but it's not unlikely to happen. This is part of the fear of playing 2v2 in SFxT.

But that's the thing that brings the hype, emotion and drama.

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
By that criteria, why should 90% of the people who go to tournaments even go?

Not everybody is going to end up in the money. It's about going to compete and see where you stand.

I go to tournaments all the time. I'm not finishing in the money in anything. I go to compete and the experience.

If you're going for the experience I don't see why you can't find a partner online, practice with them online (this is exactly what the Briefing Mode feature is for), and then meet up with them at Evo. After all, the person I was replying to specifically said they weren't serious about the game anyway, so why should it matter if it's 1v1 or 2v2 if you're just going to have fun and then play BYOC the rest of the time?

Edit: Just to clarify my question, if you aren't seriously focused on making the money and are instead claiming to participate for the experience, then why is the format a big deal to you? This is what I don't understand.

d0c_zaius

Well there's your problem. It's not logical at all. The purpose of a tournament isn't to do PR for new games.

actually I'm sure some of the purpose of Evo is PR for all the games (hence developer support and showing, people not shitting on SFxT while doing commentary with Seth, and more), as well as big tourneys (NCR, SCR, Final Round, etc). That's part of the reason why games are announced for evo before they are even played, to hype people up for these "evo approved" games. Part of the whole esports nonsense is because of the fact that these events are becoming more and more for the purpose of PR.

Its the same reason why ST was dropped for HD remix (even though ST is widely regarded as the "better" title), so its not that alien of a concept at all. Of course I am speculating as I don't run those tourneys or work in game PR. You ignored my question, but what would be your criteria and pick if you had to get rid of a title for next years evo?

Although this isn't about SFxT anymore and I don't want to derail the topic anymore than I have.

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
There are fewer things in competitive fighting games that I loathe more than pleasing the stream monsters or advertisers at the expense of the players.

There seems to be a healthy-sized contingent of top players that are in favor of the 2v2 format, though. Sure, Justin and Ricky have expressed opposition, but I've heard people on WNF and Spooky streams showering the 2v2 mode with praise.

There are fewer things in competitive fighting games that I loathe more than pleasing the stream monsters or advertisers at the expense of the players.

Yeah I have to agree with this. Basically pleasing the audience should not come at the expense of the players since we're not some league like the NFL where everybody is payed to compete. We're all paying to be there whether we live in Vegas and are only driving there to pay the venue and game fee or whether we're flying in from across the country or another continent.

The Cannon's have stated that this was decided before NCR. And if that's really the case then I guess they have no other choice then. But it better not be because this will make it more interesting to watch. Whether it be 1v1 or 2v2 should be up to the players since they're putting there money on the line to be there and compete.

Top Bottom