• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

zlatko

Banned
Secret part of me hopes this whole 2v2 for EVO thing just pushes even more top SF players to go hit up KoF so I can enjoy the hype that game brings. :p

Bizazedo

Only top players are asking for entry fee to 20-30 raise?

The only reasons you'd want to pay more to play is ....

A). Prestige. Only serious contenders would enter.
B). You want to artificially limit through cash expenditure the number of entrants.
C). You realistically think you have a chance of winning / finishing in the cash / be able to split the pot with your buddies so, the more $$ it costs, the more you'll make.

Only top players are asking for entry fee to 20-30 raise?

I'm not a top player and I want the increase to 20 per game for the top game and for SFxT to stay 1v1. Both are despite the fact that I have no shot at winning EVO. I wouldn't even make GAF top 8 in either SF4 or SFxT. I just feel like EVO is like the World Series of Poker main event, so I want the stakes to be higher and the rewards to be bigger. As for the format of being 1v1 or 2v2, I just prefer 1v1. Besides personal preference it's more convenient. Not having to make sure you have a partner with you, not having to make sure your partner is there on time with you, not having to make sure you don't let down your partner and vice versa(although that's always going to be apart of team tourney's).

And to be honestly, I really didn't like the fact that Krone and Kurosou only won about $1500(give or take) for winning Marvel and SF4 at Final Round. Both were over 400 players and the largest ever for there respective game outside of EVO, and both had $1000 pot bonuses. Despite that only $1500 for the winner, and I'm guessing that the winner only got 30% of the pot. Seriously, I think Infiltration, Ricky, and F. Champ all made more at NCR because the winner got 70% of the pot plus pot bonuses. SFxT didn't have a pot bonus, but had the most entrances. It just feels less prestigious for you to win such a large tournament, but walk away with so little money. And this goes for EVO as well, the winner of a 1000+ man tournament at $10 per player will make less then the winner of the 50-60 man MK tournament did at this past MLG which I think is pretty fucking sad although many of you may not care.

zlatko

Banned
I want to play KoF but... I need really good net code D:

I'm lucky in that there is apparently a scene here so I can get some offline grinding in in the future if I stick with it.

The online isn't total dog shit though, my major gripe is just the lack of spectator. However, the matches I've played so far on it, have been lag free or at least on par with SF4's offerings that I can play and do my combos.

Just gotta find GAFfers to play with you don't lag on. ;)

theowne

Secret part of me hopes this whole 2v2 for EVO thing just pushes even more top SF players to go hit up KoF so I can enjoy the hype that game brings. :p

Judging by twitter a lot of the FGC seem to be doing just that.... Last I checked Combofiend, Flashmetroid, Ultradavid, LI Joe, Justin were all jumping on the KOF bandwagon

Ultradavid always seem to come off bitter about this game honestly like no matter what. Not to say his opinion doesn't matter but he dislikes the music in this game!

brian

I just heard to news, can't say I like it right now but if that's the route they want to go then so be it. I'd prefer they stuck with 1v1 but it looks like EVO is more concerned with playing to the crowd and trying to create a more hype tournament after the debacle at NCR. While it's true that there isn't much time to see how things play out, I would have loved to see them crown the first SFxT solo champion.

I'm not a fan of tag fighters, and I'm even less of a fan of team tournaments crowning champions of singles even though they may be more entertaining and hype to watch. But we'll see how it goes this year. If I were going to EVO I think I would probably just enter SF4 though. I feel the same way as Thatcrazyguy, don't want to be dragged down by a teammate or do the same to him. I just want to rely on myself regardless of my own skill.

Just curious.. what was the debacle at NCR? I only tuned into the Top 8 and things ran fairly smoothly from that point, and the game was fun to watch. I didn't know there was a debacle.

sleepykyo

Just curious.. what was the debacle at NCR? I only tuned into the Top 8 and things ran fairly smoothly from that point, and the game was fun to watch. I didn't know there was a debacle.
Stream hates the game‚ Ultradavid would rather talk about avocado in sandwiches ‚ lots of timeouts in pools . Korean was clearly taking it so it was as dead as the Gamerbee v. Momochi matches at one of the SBs.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ultradavid always seem to come off bitter about this game honestly like no matter what. Not to say his opinion doesn't matter but he dislikes the music in this game!

He's been literally BITCHING about the game since gems were announced. He was annoying as fuck at the prerelease event there too talking to seth about the game. Then he was trying to "make teams that break the game with the assist gems" To bad that's fucking impossible.

This game rewards smart play almost fully. There are almost no guaranteed set up trap bullshit where you lose cause of random guess you had to hope to get right.

Even some of the trickier tag cancel mix ups can be guessed to block properly once you learn jump arc timings.

Most of the people that are hating on the game just honestly don't know how the fuck to even approach it in the first place yet. Watch any streams and you can tell. Then watch justin or floe or even art play and you can get an idea of what's supposed to be done.

sleepykyo

He's been literally BITCHING about the game since gems were announced. He was annoying as fuck at the prerelease event there too talking to seth about the game. Then he was trying to "make teams that break the game with the assist gems" To bad that's fucking impossible.

This game rewards smart play almost fully. There are almost no guaranteed set up trap bullshit where you lose cause of random guess you had to hope to get right.

Even some of the trickier tag cancel mix ups can be guessed to block properly once you learn jump arc timings.

Most of the people that are hating on the game just honestly don't know how the fuck to even approach it in the first place yet. Watch any streams and you can tell. Then watch justin or floe or even art play and you can get an idea of what's supposed to be done.
I can't add you .

There was no real debacle. Viewers were just unhappy with the slow pace and matches that ended in a time out.

David doesn't hate the game he just think people should go for more resets and less of this footsie play. If you read his post on SRK forums or listen to him in the #capcom channel he just has a different approach on it. I can get where you're coming from if you are just looking at his twitter, it does seem like he hates it.

Doesn't that get the most entries (or at least top 3) in most major tourneys?

Yes, and actually I don't think SF4 has ever dropped below #2 at a Major. It's hard to say which game had more at NCR, but I think SF4 edged Marvel by a bit but I'm not sure. I see what some people are saying about the game, but it's crazy talk to think they should remove SF4 now or anytime soon. If it's not your cup of tea then that's cool, but saying they should get rid of the game that could garner another 1000+ players and be the most watched game at EVO because it's old and not hype in there eyes is ludicrous.

I was exaggerating, there wasn't a true debacle. Just the fact that the hype wasn't there, for the audience or the stream. That's what I meant when I said debacle.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The only reasons you'd want to pay more to play is ....

A). Prestige. Only serious contenders would enter.
B). You want to artificially limit through cash expenditure the number of entrants.
C). You realistically think you have a chance of winning / finishing in the cash / be able to split the pot with your buddies so, the more $$ it costs, the more you'll make.
A lot of proposed price hikes come with a proposed revamp of the payout structure (UFGT style top 10% instead of a flat top3/top8).

I think it's kind of stupid that Evo still charges only $10/game for entry fee. After a ~$70 venue fee, super expensive hotel rooms, and plane tickets for everyone who has to fly in from afar, having only $10 go toward the actual pot is just kind of insulting to the top international talent imo. But Evo isn't eager to make any changes that hurt their entry numbers.

brian

UltraDavid has really been riding his high horse about this game. I like the guy, but I think he needs to stop trying to be so smart all the time and just let the game get played and see what happens. The FGC is one big echo chamber and especially with twitter and forums, there's a hell of a lot of groupthink going on about SFxT and I'm getting a little tired of it.

I would be much more interested to hear about what the Japanese think about this game.

yes. I don't understand why everyone thinks AE needs to go. There was a dumb "AE is dead" meme going around, but it seems like some took it too seriously.

I enjoyed watching AE the most at NCR. MvC3 was trash for whatever reason and SfxT is just plain boring to see.

From a viewer's point of view, AE as 1v1, MvC3 (with hopefully some care factor) and 2v2 SfxT (to introduce a bit of hype/fun) is the ideal mix for me.

But Evo isn't eager to make any changes that hurt their entry numbers.

I know what you mean man, anybody who isn't from the West Coast is probably spending upwards of $500 minimum just to fly, stay at a hotel, and eat for 4-5 days. Would $10 extra dollars really be the deciding factor on whether people come to EVO or not? But this is the FGC so I guess I shouldn't really be surprise if that were the case.

Evo should just be a damn week long event that has every single note worthy fighting game.

To bad that wont ever happen

There was a poll at SRK lat year asking if EVO should stay at 3 days, 3 and a half, or even a 4 day event. I voted for 4 and most people did as well(4 days won, but only by a little over 3 days). But still they stuck with 3 day event. Don't know the reasoning, maybe to keep cost down, I don't know. But that would have guaranteed SFxT as a solo tournament if EVO was a 4 day event.

smurfx

get some go again
evo should raise the price of the entry fee. i want to see the top player go home with a giant e-sports type of payout. 15-20 bucks should be the norm. i doubt you will have people say they couldn't come because of the extra 5 or 10 bucks.

evo should raise the price of the entry fee. i want to see the top player go home with a giant e-sports type of payout. 15-20 bucks should be the norm. i doubt you will have people say they couldn't come because of the extra 5 or 10 bucks.

The thing is that the "venue fee" goes up every single year that's probably why they are reluctant to raise the "entry fee". In a perfect scenario they raise entry fee and keep venue fee the same, but I just don't think that's plausible.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Honestly the best solution is just getting sponsors to add bigger pot bonuses. Everyone wins in that case.

Grecco

UltraDavid has really been riding his high horse about this game. I like the guy, but I think he needs to stop trying to be so smart all the time and just let the game get played and see what happens. The FGC is one big echo chamber and especially with twitter and forums, there's a hell of a lot of groupthink going on about SFxT and I'm getting a little tired of it.

I would be much more interested to hear about what the Japanese think about this game.

There hella groupthink about every game imo not just SF x T

d0c_zaius

Let's see, huge international contingent, still drawing lots of viewers on stream and participants in venue, yea AE definitely needs to go.

McDonalds gets a lot of customers as well, doesnt automatically make it good food. I used to enjoy watching UMVC3 as well, not so much anymore. However the shelf life of that experience lasted a lot shorter than SF4 overall (thanks Wesker!).

Of course my opinion was based on a personal dislike for SF4. I'm sure its good for people but not for me.

But I know my opinion is unrealistic, unlike some of the people asking for a 3 week old game to be dropped (blocking = boring now I guess).

Doesn't that get the most entries (or at least top 3) in most major tourneys?

Probably. Its been around the longest and has had the most revisions, so it makes sense. Which is why I mentioned its unlikely to get dropped, even though its boring as a mofo.

However if I had to choose, I guess I would choose MK to be dropped over SF4.

brian

There hella groupthink about every game imo not just SF x T

I agree, but this game is getting a ton of negativity bouncing around it in a way I haven't seen from the groupthink surrounding other fighting games. The game has only been out for 3 weeks and everybody thinks they have the whole thing figured out. Even when a lone Japanese player comes to America and bodies all of our best players for free, we think we understand what this game is all about.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
"Scary how Blazblue is probably the most tournament friendly game ever, very fast button config and you can't accidentally use the wrong version, but not enough people like it so it's not at EVO."

Until Virtua Fighter 5.
Hahahaha

Tekno is the Fersis of VF. :3
BTW i havent touched a VF in years but VF5 FS looks hype.

I agree, but this game is getting a ton of negativity bouncing around it in a way I haven't seen from the groupthink surrounding other fighting games. The game has only been out for 3 weeks and everybody thinks they have the whole thing figured out. Even when a lone Japanese player comes to America and bodies all of our best players for free, we think we understand what this game is all about.

You mean Korea? And yea that shit was pretty free. Which is sad because I think as of right now only Justin actually knows what he's doing and the rest of America is kind of lost in SFxT.

Haunted

zyN33.gif
:lol

Top Bottom