• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Real talk, after having some fun with MVC2 and SF Anniversary Collection for a little while I stopped playing fighting games. Then SF4 is announced and I find out it has 3D graphics, I don't even give it my attention. It comes out and I buy it anyways because I grew up playing SF2. I start liking it and start searching the internet to find out more about it. I come across Gootecks site and listen to some of his pod cast and watched some matches on youtube. I remember hearing him promote SF4 SBO qualifiers and that it would be streamed live. Watching a live tournament sounded like a lot of fun.

I watch SBO quals and it completely changed blew my mind. The level of play, the excitement, the comebacks, and more made even more fascinated with the FGC and overnight I went from interested to being in love with this scene and wanting more and more. I still remember some of those moments so well. Combofiend carrying Valle because he kept screwing up, I believe in Mike Ross(unfortunately for Haunts) Ed Ma's air EX tatsu into demon, Combofiend dramatic come back win against Sextaro, even Gootecks starving and finally getting something to eat because someone bought him some tacos. Just wanted to say despite whatever is said about him, he played a large part in getting me interested in and joining the FGC.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I was never a big Gootecks fan but can't deny his impact on making SF4 popular.

In other news..I dropped Lili because I had no idea how to player but fought a Japanese player today using Lili and I love what I saw. Gonna watch those replays again and get her down. Law/Heihachi is a bit too braindead for me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
GG's Kyo, shout outs to julia high low abuse!

I need to stop trying to air to air hei or kazuya. Their air attacks are just way to damn good

Ultrachen earlier tonight made some pretty awesome points about how knockdowns are ass and grounded resets are huge. Definitely see how their points will surface in play later down the road.

Too bad only a handful of characters are able to combos that result in standing. Law, Hugo, Ken off the top of my head... everyone else has specials that knockdown which is really unfortunate if the dominate strategy later in the game's life revolves around grounded setups.

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
Too bad only a handful of characters are able to combos that result in standing. Law, Hugo, Ken off the top of my head... everyone else has specials that knockdown which is really unfortunate if the dominate strategy later in the game's life revolves around grounded setups.

Your post made me curious about just what characters can do decent strings/combos into a non-knockdown situation that provides time either for their own mixup or a switch cancel mixup afterwards, so I went ahead and ran through the list. Feel free to jump in if you think I'm wrong on one or if I missed one:

SF side:
- Balrog (Dash Upper, I guess? Doesn't seem like it would leave him in great position to mix up, but maybe the switch cancel thing would help)
- Guile (Sonic Boom, but it might not allow enough time for the switch cancel mixup, I dunno)
- Hugo
- Ibuki (one version of her spin kicks special doesn't knock down, right?)
- Juri (LK Pinwheel)
- Ken
- Rufus (Messiah Kick)
- Vega (Rolling Crystal Flash)

Tekken Side (I'll probably miss some here because I'm only moderately familiar with most of the Tekken cast):
- Asuka (Whatever long chain you want cancelled into hcb+K, which should cause enough blockstun for a switch cancel mixup)
- Hwoarang (I think his Dynamite Heel leaves them standing, anyway)
- Julia (She at least has extended combo possibilities thanks to tricks like EX Dash Cancel straight into CH Party Crasher, so maybe some resets will form out of that)
- Kazuya (Re-stand glitch)
- Law
- Lili (Any combo into Dendrobium leaves Lili at a small advantage, and she could potentially tag cancel EX Feisty Rabbit for a switch cancel mixup but that's expensive for low damage)
- Xiaoyu (Combos into moves like Turn of Fortune should afford plenty of time for switch cancel mixup)

Horseress

Omg! Ultrachen show yesterday talked about what I was discussing here on Monday! People are using the meter just to style, and not saving it for a Super Art or Alpha Counter or some more useful exchange.

Tobe

crap :( gootecks was the guy who pushed me into the competitive scene. i remember gootecks having a killer look at the start of vanilla sf4, he eventually took a bigger role in the fgc, introducing fighting games to the whole world i think was his greatest achievements and i seriously think we would be here without ryan. . I really hope he does well in his future projects. srsly someone must do a documentary about him right know he deserves it.

imma go watch i got next right now.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Speaking of Kazuya..how many of his strings end with a friggin overhead that looks nothing like an overhead?

CPS2

Your post made me curious about just what characters can do decent strings/combos into a non-knockdown situation that provides time either for their own mixup or a switch cancel mixup afterwards...
Anyone that can juggle into a move that resets, ie puts them back on their feet. Probably every character.

V_Arnold

You do know a lot of people don't care, right? (Mostly the 09ers are upset)

I personally think it sucks, because I wanted to see him and Mike Ross as a team in Street Fighter x Tekken.
Other than that? Meh.

Whao.... that is some scary generalization right there.

It is a sad day, indeed.

Horseress

I personally think it sucks, because I wanted to see him and Mike Ross as a team in Street Fighter x Tekken.
Other than that? Meh.

I begun watching streams and getting evolved with the FCG in 2011 mostly, and I'm REALLY upset about it, he's a great guy, he helps A LOT the community in general and I'm sure people care a lot about it =/

Masaki_

Other than that? Meh.

Ironically, this sounds like what an 09er stream monster would say. The people in the FGC who know him personally are probably the ones who care the most.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Other than that? Meh.
Is this post full of ignorance and bitterness or what?

(I usually dont reply to these kind of posts but this one takes the cake)

Doomshine

Ironically, this sounds like what an 09er stream monster would say. The people in the FGC who know him personally are probably the ones who care the most.
If anything, an 09 stream monster would be telling us how awesome he is while talking shit about other "lesser known" FGC people.

sleepykyo

Speaking of Kazuya..how many of his strings end with a friggin overhead that looks nothing like an overhead?

Just two.

1. lp, mp, mk [low], lk [mid] natural combo
2. back + lk, lp, mk, lp [mid] not a natural combo; has a low variant b+lk, lp, mk, lk [low] natural combo

Though he does have a lot of other mids he can try to sneak in.

Real talk, after having some fun with MVC2 and SF Anniversary Collection for a little while I stopped playing fighting games. Then SF4 is announced and I find out it has 3D graphics, I don't even give it my attention. It comes out and I buy it anyways because I grew up playing SF2. I start liking it and start searching the internet to find out more about it. I come across Gootecks site and listen to some of his pod cast and watched some matches on youtube. I remember hearing him promote SF4 SBO qualifiers and that it would be streamed live. Watching a live tournament sounded like a lot of fun.

I watch SBO quals and it completely changed blew my mind. The level of play, the excitement, the comebacks, and more made even more fascinated with the FGC and overnight I went from interested to being in love with this scene and wanting more and more. I still remember some of those moments so well. Combofiend carrying Valle because he kept screwing up, I believe in Mike Ross(unfortunately for Haunts) Ed Ma's air EX tatsu into demon, Combofiend dramatic come back win against Sextaro, even Gootecks starving and finally getting something to eat because someone bought him some tacos. Just wanted to say despite whatever is said about him, he played a large part in getting me interested in and joining the FGC.

Wow this was my exact situation lol.

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
Anyone that can juggle into a move that resets, ie puts them back on their feet. Probably every character.

This isn't true in the SFxT system at all. The reason Kazuya's re-stand glitch is a big deal in the first place is because it's the only example found of a move that takes an aerial-juggled opponent and puts them back on their feet. As for the rest of the characters, whereas tons of moves could be used in SF4 to force the opponent to flip and recover on their feet (which was a huge part of the mixup game for certain characters like Sakura), in this game those still result in a knockdown that can be quick risen, rolled, reversaled out of, etc.

mr. puppy

Banned
Ultrachen earlier tonight made some pretty awesome points about how knockdowns are ass and grounded resets are huge. Definitely see how their points will surface in play later down the road.

thats what I'm seeing with Law/Ken, I really can't find reasons to drop this team at all and its looking to get stupidly good as I play the game more.

Shouta

thats what I'm seeing with Law/Ken, I really can't find reasons to drop this team at all and its looking to get stupidly good as I play the game more.

It's a cool idea but whether or not it'll equate to potential damage is another issue. It does lead to nice free cross-ups or mix-ups and keeps you in close with characters that may have trouble staying in.

mr. puppy

Banned
It's a cool idea but whether or not it'll equate to potential damage is another issue. It does lead to nice free cross-ups or mix-ups and keeps you in close with characters that may have trouble staying in.

with Law/Ken its really really useful to throw out a Tatsu and then bring in Law, and this is aided by the fact that Ken keeps people standing....I'm finding the fact that it helps push to the corner, keeps me in, and is a great lockdown. If I can get a hit off that tatsu with Law, I'm almost definitely winning the round.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
with Law/Ken its really really useful to throw out a Tatsu and then bring in Law, and this is aided by the fact that Ken keeps people standing....I'm finding the fact that it helps push to the corner, keeps me in, and is a great lockdown. If I can get a hit off that tatsu with Law, I'm almost definitely winning the round.

How is Tatsu any kind of lockdown when you can just duck? On hit, obviously, but I don't see how useful it is for mixups on block.

zlatko

Banned
What's strong about Akuma in this game? I haven't had trouble with any I've met online.

Roll into teleport is a way to never get punished on wake ups. Still has his great demon flip shenanigans. Big ass damage. GREAT ways to cancel his moves for another character to come in for a solid damage combo. Fantastic foot speed for footsies. Oh and now he has a super he can cancel into that does solid damage, and if done right at full screen, could punish and still leave him safe even though he doesn't get damage on a bad call.

Plus like people mentioned above, if you do Tatsu with him, you can cancel to keep them locked in for a solid time, as well as his HP tatsu.

Just seems like an overall fantastic character if you can overcome his low life issue which is his one issue in every game he's in.

Shouta

Akuma is great runaway but man, that health is a real liability, even more so than other games because getting one hit leads to big damage in this. You can almost 100% Akuma with one combo with some characters, that's scary.

Solune

Roll into teleport is a way to never get punished on wake ups. Still has his great demon flip shenanigans. Big ass damage. GREAT ways to cancel his moves for another character to come in for a solid damage combo. Fantastic foot speed for footsies. Oh and now he has a super he can cancel into that does solid damage, and if done right at full screen, could punish and still leave him safe even though he doesn't get damage on a bad call.

Plus like people mentioned above, if you do Tatsu with him, you can cancel to keep them locked in for a solid time, as well as his HP tatsu.

Just seems like an overall fantastic character if you can overcome his low life issue which is his one issue in every game he's in.

Akuma's meterless damage is actually pretty low.

zlatko

Banned
I do too much dmg with my characters to ever give a shit about akuma LOL

Official request to buff Akuma's health by Q then ? :O

We'll have to wait to see what MurdaFace comes up with to either prove or dissprove my own feeling.

I'm in the same boat though that I haven't played a good Akuma yet, so I just maul his ass fraaaay with my Kazuya and finish him in 2 combos.

Venfayth

Yeah, it's the same for me. I do so much damage normally. Akuma doesn't worry me too much.

If I ever fought a hyper-aggressive Akuma I might feel differently, but tons of Akumas I meet love to run away. For some reason spamming forward-dash beats his keepaway game pretty well if he's being careless with jump fireballs.

People hating on the 2v2 format really need to watch this week's Topanga TV.

They have been playing SFxT every week now ever since it's been out and it was a sleeper.However, this week they went in Evo style, 2v2 no gems and the game instantly turned into so much more fun.

I'm getting closer and closer to having that 1-frame Ibuki jab link down :-o

Ken + Ibuki = 550 damage for 1 bar, plus tons of reset chances.

Anyone else have godlike moves that keep you standing for a long time without using ex meter? That are actually easy to use(unlike Steve's command grab)

Top Bottom