• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
People hating on the 2v2 format really need to watch this week's Topanga TV.

They have been playing SFxT every week now ever since it's been out and it was a sleeper.However, this week they went in Evo style, 2v2 no gems and the game instantly turned into so much more fun.

I don't get it how did it make it more fun? The only thing two players can do that one player cant is the double team thing.

Otherwise you are actually more consistent with one person play.

zlatko

Banned
I'm getting closer and closer to having that 1-frame Ibuki jab link down :-o

Ken + Ibuki = 550 damage for 1 bar, plus tons of reset chances.

Anyone else have godlike moves that keep you standing for a long time without using ex meter? That are actually easy to use(unlike Steve's command grab)

Law's punch move even without ex can keep them there for a while.

Edit: @ The question about using alpha counters. Unless it's against a Rolento who does unsafe Rekkas, no. The timing for it is just too damn fineky online. :/

I don't get it how did it make it more fun? The only thing two players can do that one player cant is the double team thing.

Otherwise you are actually more consistent with one person play.

What i meant to say was that the game actually looked twice more fun not just for the player but also for the viewer.They have been playing the game the past few weeks as well and as soon as they used to switch to SFxT, I used to close the stream :)

Dartastic

I think I finally found a character I'd like to play as besides Julia. Julia and Hwowrang. LET'S GO.

...think that's a good team GAF? I found a really nice, easy, close to 370 damage combo with Julia... off of just a jump in, no meter, with reset opportunities. FUCK YEAH. LOVE THAT GIRL.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What i meant to say was that the game actually looked twice more fun not just for the player but also for the viewer.They have been playing the game the past few weeks as well and as soon as they used to switch to SFxT, I used to close the stream :)

Once again how does it make it more fun for the viewer. It's still the same game being played. I don't get it.

Ok it looks like only Ken's HK Tatsu and Xiaoyu's HK Flower Power have enough active frames to tag cancel Ibuki in for cFP SJC jRH to link. So I'll be exploring those two characters. Xiaoyu seems really interesting.

zlatko

Banned
Once again how does it make it more fun for the viewer. It's still the same game being played. I don't get it.

Idon'twanttosayit'sthepatriots,butit'sthepatriots.jpg

I haven't watched the game 2v2 yet myself, so hopefully it brings some juice into it as a spectator.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't care one way or the other, but the 2v2 style is more enjoyable to watch because there are more variables at play. Watch the CC Invitational and you'll see with teams there's a lot more dynamics, like people dropping tags or mistagging, people trying to play 1v2, teams getting angry at each other (or giving each other a big high five), and in general all the guys just laughing with each other since they're a group and it's not as heated as 1v1. It's the same game, but it's not being played the same way at all. All you have to do is play 2v2 yourself to know that.

sleepykyo

Easy. It isn't about solid gameplay. People just want to see dropped combos, ugly exits and the blame game.

Are any of you guys even using alpha counters?

Depends. With SF characters, not quite as often. But I tend to use them quite frequently with the Tekken characters. Alpha counters really should have been more common at NCR.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Easy. It isn't about solid gameplay. People just want to see dropped combos, ugly exits and the blame game.

Sounds shitty. I don't watch streams for that. I want high level solid gameplay I can learn from.

It's the same game, but it's not being played the same way at all. All you have to do is play 2v2 yourself to know that.

I play it with friends and so. It feels exactly the same outside of now I'm just staring at the screen to press the tag cancel button now and not doing things the entire match. YEAH LESS INVOLVING GAMEPLAY IS TOTALLY MORE HYPE

Sounds shitty. I don't watch streams for that. I want high level solid gameplay I can learn from.
People who watch streams to improve their gameplay are pretty rare. It's like the NFL. How many people who watch the Superbowl actually play football? I'm with you, though. As soon as I find out no one is using any of my characters, I pretty much tune out unless the matchup looks interesting.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Don't worry 1v1 guys, Tekken Tag 2 is coming

With True Ogre <3 *even though his arm got bastardized*

And if you mean 1v1 as in only using one character I wont be playing it like that at all. *unless ogre has something stupidly broken about his dmg playing like that*

Dueck

Banned
The one thing I have to say that's a funny coincidence is that Rolento and Ibuki are a default team. Rolento was my favorite SFA fighter, and Ibuki was my favorite SFIII fighter.

Venfayth

Ok it looks like only Ken's HK Tatsu and Xiaoyu's HK Flower Power have enough active frames to tag cancel Ibuki in for cFP SJC jRH to link. So I'll be exploring those two characters. Xiaoyu seems really interesting.

Just so you know there's no way to combo into full hits of flower power :(

LowParry

She is actually. I've gone back to play around with her again and been getting used to doing her stances more often.

And where's my damn colors. I need my pink Kuma.

Venfayth

She is actually. I've gone back to play around with her again and been getting used to doing her stances more often.

And where's my damn colors. I need my pink Kuma.

angry-car-soon-water.jpg

sleepykyo

I'm getting closer and closer to having that 1-frame Ibuki jab link down :-o

Ken + Ibuki = 550 damage for 1 bar, plus tons of reset chances.

Anyone else have godlike moves that keep you standing for a long time without using ex meter? That are actually easy to use(unlike Steve's command grab)

What about Kazuya's sweeps or Chun's hk spinning bird kick?

I play it with friends and so. It feels exactly the same outside of now I'm just staring at the screen to press the tag cancel button now and not doing things the entire match. YEAH LESS INVOLVING GAMEPLAY IS TOTALLY MORE HYPE

I think the compromise position is at the moment sfxt is boring to watch, and 2v2 is more interesting because of the drama. Hence playing it at EVO in this format.

If the whole gem thing can be sorted out, then I feel 1v1 will be more viable to play and watch at tournament level next year. Until then, to me it seems like they are playing almost half a game and I'm ok with this approach.

Mind you, you would hope gems etc was sorted before EVO. Something tells me it will not be though.

brian

Can someone explain why SFxT is boring to watch? As someone who enjoyed watching the Top 8 at NCR, I'm just curious why people think this. I don't want to hear because you can jump back and letting the clock run out, because I saw very little of that in the Top 8. It is almost to the point where it is thrown around as common knowledge that this game sucks to watch, but I haven't heard a lot of convincing arguments.

Next we need a marvel game with 6 players where the assists aren't controlled by the point character.

Your partner gets a text, no hidden missiles for you

Sure it won't be fun, but them pop off yo

Can someone explain why SFxT is boring to watch? As someone who enjoyed watching the Top 8 at NCR, I'm just curious why people think this. I don't want to hear because you can jump back and letting the clock run out, because I saw very little of that in the Top 8. It is almost to the point where it is thrown around as common knowledge that this game sucks to watch, but I haven't heard a lot of convincing arguments.

To me it looks very limited. Fish for a hit, combo to launcher, perform the same combo as last time, fish for another hit.

I know this is a *very* simplistic view of what is going on, but this is really what I am seeing and I find it boring. Characters just don't seem to have many options in this game compared to a marvel or even SF4 where they seemed more rounded and diverse. All the moves just seem much the same no matter who is being played. That may seem like a strange statement, but the tactics of the characters who are actually being played all are pretty much the same or are repeats from SF4 with fewer options.

I feel like I have seen it all already, especially for the 'top characters'. When the same match up happens, I'm not looking forward to seeing something new.

This may all change as people work out the game or I get better at knowing what is going on. But it all seems like even if it does grow on me, it will still be very subtle which doesn't translate well to watching or excitement.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To me it looks very limited. Fish for a hit, combo to launcher, perform the same combo as last time, fish for another hit.

I know this is a *very* simplistic view of what is going on, but this is really what I am seeing and I find it boring. Characters just don't seem to have many options in this game compared to a marvel or even SF4 where they seemed more rounded and diverse. All the moves just seem much the same no matter who is being played. That may seem like a strange statement, but the tactics of the characters who are actually being played all are pretty much the same or are repeats from SF4 with fewer options.

I feel like I have seen it all already, especially for the 'top characters'. When the same match up happens, I'm not looking forward to seeing something new.

This may all change as people work out the game or I get better at knowing what is going on. But it all seems like even if it does grow on me, it will still be very subtle which doesn't translate well to watching or excitement.

Yeah uh, the characters in this actually have more options than sf4 in the long run. Like I said before most people playing are still not playing right. For starters every character has a free FADC. This isnt used often still -.-

d0c_zaius

I know this is a *very* simplistic view of what is going on, but this is really what I am seeing and I find it boring.

correct.

what you are seeing is a game that plays differently that has only been out for 3 weeks.

if its the same by Evo then I will certainly admit my ignorance.

question: is there a reason a mass of people think: "I feel like I have seen it all already, especially for the 'top characters'"?

I agree about it being the superior game. But I still <3 sf x tk for giving me that late 90's early 2000 capcom vibe

Agreed, which is probably why I am a little fanboyish about SFxT right now.

correct.

what you are seeing is a game that plays differently that has only been out for 3 weeks.

if its the same by Evo then I will certainly admit my ignorance.

question: is there a reason a mass of people think: "I feel like I have seen it all already, especially for the 'top characters'"?

Hey I agree, not saying the game is flawed or being played the right way. But for now this is what is going down in tournaments and this is why I find it boring.

The 'seen it all already' is because pretty much every stream has people doing the same thing with the same characters. So either there are no other options, those options are not viable/effective, or people just haven't learnt them yet.

In the case of the last one, all will be well with time as you stated and this is most likely. The game should improve over time, and I think gems will help a lot with this by adding some variety and strategy. But for now? Can't really watch a game and say it is good because of the potential, so yeah it isn't that great.

Just calling it as I see it.

d0c_zaius

Hey I agree, not saying the game is flawed or being played the right way. But for now this is what is going down in tournaments and this is why I find it boring.

The 'seen it all already' is because pretty much every stream has people doing the same thing with the same characters. So either there are no other options, those options are not viable/effective, or people just haven't learnt them yet.

In the case of the last one, all will be well with time as you stated and this is most likely. The game should improve over time, and I think gems will help a lot with this by adding some variety and strategy. But for now? Can't really watch a game and say it is good because of the potential, so yeah it isn't that great.

Just calling it as I see it.

oh thats understandable. sorry if I came off aggressive. Its kinda weird that I see a ton of potential where others don't see any. Maybe I'm just getting old and senile, or overly optimistic heh.

Sayah

So I go into this trailer thinking " yo I'm actually really digging some of these characters in SFxT, maybe I'll give this a shot". Ugh.

That trailer is an English voice over/translation of what was originally in Japanese.

Although, we should all know Tekken has better characters. :p

Huh? EVERY single fighting game involves finding an opening and then maximizing your damage off of that. Try to hit someone then combo... yeah that's every game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Huh? EVERY single fighting game involves finding an opening and then maximizing your damage off of that. Try to hit someone then combo... yeah that's every game.

Buf sf4 does it so much more BAD ASS LIKE!

jab jab jab combozzzzz into knockdown random 50/50 ambiguous cross up, repeat.

Toski

If these people find AE 2012 more interesting than SFxT then I want to see it through their eyes.

People/Players have been bitching about comeback mechanics in SSF4 and UMvC3 and wanted Capcom to make a game that didn't have those. SFxT's comeback mechanic doesn't work and you think people would be happy about that but no. No one wants to admit it but FADC into Ultra and level 3 Dark Wesker running trains brings hype due to the momentum shifts.

SFxT sometimes looks like dudes playing SF2:WW with tag mechanics. The game is just "solid" with no real flash, just fundamentals. Combine that with the lack of supers and setups, SFxT is "boring." I think Floe was the only person who actually used supers more than once during top 8.

I think a big part of the lack of hype in sfxt streams is due to the commentators. It kills hype when all the casters do is complain about how Rufus does too much damage or how the gems are broken. They also tend to do a bad job of explaining what players are doing. For instance, at NCR I remember Magus or Seth talk about how Infiltration didn't do a very damaging punish when he went for low forward -> donkey kick, totally missing the fact that he did that to create the spacing to tag out safely.

2v2 seems more hype because the casters can commentate on the blowups regarding team dynamics instead of the game itself.

While I'm not 100% on this game it beats the vortex bullshit of SF4. Stuck in a 50/50 guessing game with OS if you backdash and you're pretty much screwed in certain cases if you don't have a reliable reversal.

brian

If these people find AE 2012 more interesting than SFxT then I want to see it through their eyes.

People/Players have been bitching about comeback mechanics in SSF4 and UMvC3 and wanted Capcom to make a game that didn't have those. SFxT's comeback mechanic doesn't work and you think people would be happy about that but no. No one wants to admit it but FADC into Ultra and level 3 Dark Wesker running trains brings hype due to the momentum shifts.

SFxT sometimes looks like dudes playing SF2:WW with tag mechanics. The game is just "solid" with no real flash, just fundamentals. Combine that with the lack of supers and setups, SFxT is "boring." I think Floe was the only person who actually used supers more than once during top 8.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you exactly. I actually do still find AE more interesting at this point just because it is a game I really understand and can follow along with a lot better. I'm still new to watching SFxT so I don't understand what's going through the players' heads as much, but still, it's a fine game that seems to have all of the right elements. Personally I'm fine with watching really solid fundamentals over extended combos and comebacks. Every game doesn't need to be EVO moment 37, like UMvC3 would have us believe.

Riposte

UltraDavid proves he is one of the best fighting game critics around and let's loose some potent criticisms on the game:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...ion-thread-rev-b.147257/page-217#post-6715055

I can't disagree with any of it, only the degree of some of them. I am loving the game, but some of the mechanics simply don't mesh well together and time-outs are a result of that.

Give me a super please and make it DLC.

(Comments on the game being too new are superfluous. Of course I know that, we are working with what we know now and can change our minds later.)

Shouta

And when players learn the game better, it'll be a lot more interesting. The flash exists in the game and it needs to be laid upon the fundamentals. Everyone is playing this like the wrong mix of SF4 and UMVC3 i.e. defensive play with pokes and prodding but with UMVC3 style long combos. That's absolutely the worst way of playing it because of how little damage you produce and it runs the clock off a lot. When they start doing big damage combos off the fundamentals, and stop with the crappy UMVC3 combos, the game will be interesting.

I think it was Ultrachen or david or someone talking about it last night but combos ending with your opponent standing still will be big in this because of the potential damage that's possible and not having to worry about the wake-up game. It's an additional element that'll be explored for sure. Before that though, getting the big damage combos in will be the important key to the game.

Ironically, this sounds like what an 09er stream monster would say. The people in the FGC who know him personally are probably the ones who care the most.

Of course.

However, he has been under a bad light lately, so people are like, "Whatever."

Is this post full of ignorance and bitterness or what?

(I usually dont reply to these kind of posts but this one takes the cake)

You can call ignorance if you want, but I'm not bitter at all. He did no wrong to me.

I'm still sad that there won't be a "Cross Counter" team at EVO.

Top Bottom