• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Tirael

Visually it's the best looking Capcom fighter to date too. But I agree with his opinions about the gameplay.

Oh yeah, it's got some great stuff going on in the visuals department. I'm also surprised how well the Tekken cast translated over; the designs are true to the original while successfully adopting the style of SF.

Special note: Paul's pre-fight pose is extremely unfortunate. And by pose I mean his face.

Riposte

Oh yeah, it's got some great stuff going on in the visuals department. I'm also surprised how well the Tekken cast translated over; the designs are true to the original while successfully adopting the style of SF.

Special note: Paul's pre-fight pose is extremely unfortunate. And by pose I mean his face.

Guile's victory screen face is pretty busted.

Don't like the character designs in this game much at all. Heihachi is such a grouchy old man in this though, so he gets a pass.

SFxT's music has some nice melodies, it's the insturments that I think turn people off.
IMO at least~

Mishima estate 2F has the best fighting music I've heard in a long time.

The Pandora stage(s) are pretty good too.

I despise the happy japanese hardcore one in the truck stop (pit stop) OMG you're going to run me over stage

Only really complaint I agree with 100% is odd hitboxes, weak throw range, and cannot see exactly what gems a person has.

Everything else else really I'm not sure if I'd want it to change just yet.

Ex: Damage scaling: There's already so many characters that can do about 400 damage or more without the use of any special bars or just one, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to change it.

I somewhat agree with the stages being too wide, but I don't know, I kind of like it.

The clock does kind of annoy me the more I happen to play this game though, it's really a mix between life regen so fast or the fact it never slows down.

Shouta

I like the stages being wide actually. It allows some characters to reset themselves rather than getting beaten hardcore inside. I'm finding myself doing that often with Law and Kuma, rather than get mixed up or rushed down, I step back and force them to come to me where I have an easier chance of fighting them. Or if I'm rushing them down, I have an easier time by limiting their options against me.

ElFly

There is definitely better songs in past Capcom fighters, that's for sure.

The better music in this game isn't on stages though i.e the store menu music, the pick a trial music.

Well at least it's a big upgrade from SSF4.

Haven't played enough marvel to judge, though.

The gem visibility problem would be easy to fix by displaying their names before each match.

SSF4 and this game are both guilty of having few supers. This trend started with III, though and I find it lame. Liked much more the alpha series where even some characters (Charlie) had more supers than special moves.

Ok maybe that's an exaggeration, but even the supers that exist now are kind of lame. Rolento's super is now a cinematic multi hit attack, instead of the funky supers he had in Alpha 2 and 3.

Of course maybe having only one super makes it more strategic, or at least that was the decision design in III. For example, chances are that having rolento's supers from alpha 2 would totally shutdown jump ins and fireballs, which maybe is too much.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I like the stages being wide actually. It allows some characters to reset themselves rather than getting beaten hardcore inside. I'm finding myself doing that often with Law and Kuma, rather than get mixed up or rushed down, I step back and force them to come to me where I have an easier chance of fighting them. Or if I'm rushing them down, I have an easier time by limiting their options against me.
I agree with this 100%. People need to stop thinking EVERY fighting game has to follow the exact same mold in regards to stuff like that, throw range, complaints about rolling, etc.

They dont need to change too much IMO. Kill the infinites, slow down the timer, make throws true hard knockdowns, some minor character tweaks here and there, and I think i'd be happy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
SFxT's music has some nice melodies, it's the insturments that I think turn people off.
IMO at least~

The space stage's music is my fave. I'm a sucker for that wah-wah sound they got going on.

My fav musics are: space elevator (wah-wah), Pitstop 109 phase 1, and all three Mad Gear Hideout phases.

But the Bison/Juri mix for their Pandora boss team stage is pretty fucking hot.

LakeEarth

I am more and more confident with my Jin/Kazuya duo.
It lacks the ladies and the nice bodies, but it has MIST STEPPING - a lot! :)

I hate it when you press the wrong punch after a step kick because they differ between the two characters. With Kazuya you usually want to use mp/fp, but with Jin you usually want to go with lp. Accidentally press the wrong one for the wrong character and get an easily punishable, should only be used in combos move.

I tried out some King last night, he's fun. Definitely on the low tier side of things, but not useless. Finishing a match with his super with the brainbuster finisher is very rewarding. Gotta figure out the best ways to get knees from Kazuya.

ElFly

I mentioned this before, but the weak throw range is probably a bone thrown to the casuals. Historically casuals have hated throws in fighting games. Hate to play the "casuals are ruining the game" card, but it was stated by capcom as one of the problems they were trying to fix with the gem system.

Totally agree that Pandora is a wasted mechanic. I find it hard to fix in its current state, and it is a fundamentally bad idea, since it activates when one of your dudes has 25% of energy left. What I'd do is to change it to the Garou T.O.P. system (I think that's the name?) where you'd select a section of your life bar and you'd go into pandora, where you'd hit harder and gain super bar faster. That would help greatly the timeout problem.

Of course that'd be another choice to make in the character selection screen which is always lame.

zlatko

Banned
I hate it when you press the wrong punch after a step kick because they differ between the two characters. With Kazuya you usually want to use mp/fp, but with Jin you usually want to go with lp. Accidentally press the wrong one for the wrong character and get an easily punishable, should only be used in combos move.

I tried out some King last night, he's fun. Definitely on the low tier side of things, but not useless. Finishing a match with his super with the brainbuster finisher is very rewarding. Gotta figure out the best ways to get knees from Kazuya.

Slaughter hook Cancel, and the ground bounce produces enough time to come in with knee from King. Although what I usually see from others is just crouching LP, knee, HP, HYPA BOMBA SCOOP!

He could probably get knees off ending a combo on Kazuya LP out of miststep which causes a larger launcher up instead of the god fist of MP/HP.

Something I want to test out tonight is to do Kazuya's QCB +K move, probably the ex version, tag in right as you're about to end it on the mid finisher, and that way if they block it high, you can go into king's LP version (250 damage standing) command grab, or if they block low, then they'll just get bopped and get king in close to start his pressure game.

Yeah it's 2 meters, but if they are blocking a lot, and you have it, this is a solid way to open them up and get 250 damage hopefully.

ShinAmano

Wanted to double check...the sound fix is next week right? Along with color packs? What about DLC outfits?

Thanks.

Also past two nights I went 40-2 ;)

LakeEarth

Thanks for the advice Zlatko, I didn't consider mist step lp.

And the main problem with Pandora is how quickly you die. Right now an raw pandora is basically a suicide button.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the advice Zlatko, I didn't consider mist step lp.

And the main problem with Pandora is how quickly you die. Right now an raw pandora is basically a suicide button.

Tell that to the fool I trapped in the corner with my Rolento, activated as I smelled a jump back, then entered with a mist step as Kazuya and proceeded to maul him. xD

I had an accidental Pandora activation the other day though. I wanted to do cross assault, but they did a cross up, so I quickly swung the stick to the other direction to hit the MPMK, and it counted the down input twice I guess and activated it. </3

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wanted to double check...the sound fix is next week right? Along with color packs? What about DLC outfits?

Thanks.

Also past two nights I went 40-2 ;)

Next week is sound patch, tournament mode, three free color packs, and I think the first tier of everyone's costumes up for individual sale.

The swap costumes are first. The wacky stuff like Plumber Rolento is later. I think there's supposed to be discount bundles for the swap costumes up as well.

CPS2

I mentioned this before, but the weak throw range is probably a bone thrown to the casuals. Historically casuals have hated throws in fighting games. Hate to play the "casuals are ruining the game" card, but it was stated by capcom as one of the problems they were trying to fix with the gem system.

They said the throw range is like that because there was a problem with mashing throw during blockstrings, it would grab limbs really easily. Probably the same reason some of the hitboxes seem weird.

I suck at this game, plain and simple. I've a long road and a lot of time ahead of me before I can even begin to think about trying to win matches consistently.

I'm going with Vega/Hwaorang as my team, simply because I enjoy both of those characters. Quick question about Hwaorang, though... Does he have a jump-in cross-up? If so, what is it? I just can't seem to get an attack in by him edge-wise, since he seems to get out-poked for me by, well, everyone else.

cackhyena

Daigo himself said throws were too strong in SF4.

ElFly

They said the throw range is like that because there was a problem with mashing throw during blockstrings, it would grab limbs really easily. Probably the same reason some of the hitboxes seem weird.

What'd be the difference with mashing throw in SF4?

Honestly, I am still pissed grab is a command now instead of being direction + button, like in SF2/Alpha. That setup worked like magic and there was no need to mess with it.

Daigo himself said throws were too strong in SF4.

Waaah?

ShinAmano

Next week is sound patch, tournament mode, three free color packs, and I think the first tier of everyone's costumes up for individual sale.

The swap costumes are first. The wacky stuff like Plumber Rolento is later. I think there's supposed to be discount bundles for the swap costumes up as well.

Sweet...not sure about the swap costumes...but I am sure there are a couple that will make me think about picking them up...so long as random select actually uses them.

The good thing is if you color edit a character and select them...after that random wil pick them up so i have high hopes fo rthe costumes working the same way.

Ferrio

Banned
What'd be the difference with mashing throw in SF4?

Honestly, I am still pissed grab is a command now instead of being direction + button, like in SF2/Alpha. That setup worked like magic and there was no need to mess with it.

Waaah?

Command throw is superior.

sleepykyo

I like everything he said here. Hard to argue with any of the points made, so I'd be interested if anyone here can rebutle his points.

I'm hoping a patch comes soon, but I don't see it especially with Ono out of the game, so odds are all decisions that aren't DLC oriented might be on the back burner. (Edit: Ah okay he did have someone carry the torch for patches, good deal)

Game could honestly use some balance changes too to a few characters in reference to his hit box comment i.e Yoshimitsu. :(

There's nothing to rebuke. Most of the issues he mentioned are obvious issues or things that aren't really issues.

The throw range is somewhat offset by the amazing + frames in the frame. And it isn't that the throw range is even that short, it's more like players got accustomed to SF4's throw range.

The wider issue thing isn't really huge issue for me. The rolls and wider stages take out the get one knockdown and win the match that became the last 2 years of SF4.

Yes, Pandora and Cross Assaults aren't as useful as X-factor. But that's just an unfair complaint, since if they were great then he would complain about yet another dumb comeback mechanic. At least in this game both are situational comebacks instead of general purpose comebacks. Specifically one requires setting the gems for it to really be scary and the other requires a talented team mate.

It's just the timer that could be slowed down a bit and cinematic portion of supers/cross arts/pandora should freeze the clock.

In general sense, I agree with him, I'm just not quite as bothered by it.

ElFly

Command throw is superior.

Sure.

But I always found the old setup almost telepathic. It was like "ok I want to throw so I'll just punch" and what do you know, you'd be throwing.

Above post makes a great point that Pandora being useless makes this a game without a come back mechanic, which is good.

cackhyena

There's nothing to rebuke. Most of the issues he mentioned are obvious issues or things that aren't really issues.

The throw range is somewhat offset by the amazing + frames in the frame. And it isn't that the throw range is even that short, it's more like players got accustomed to SF4's throw range.

The wider issue thing isn't really huge issue for me. The rolls and wider stages take out the get one knockdown and win the match that became the last 2 years of SF4.

Yes, Pandora and Cross Assaults aren't as useful as X-factor. But that's just an unfair complaint, since if they were great then he would complain about yet another dumb comeback mechanic. At least in this game both are situational comebacks instead of general purpose comebacks. Specifically one requires setting the gems for it to really be scary and the other requires a talented team mate.

It's just the timer that could be slowed down a bit and cinematic portion of supers/cross arts/pandora should freeze the clock.

In general sense, I agree with him, I'm just not quite as bothered by it.

If the timer is slowed, there shouldn't be a need for it freezing concerning the cinematic super stuff. If the former happened, running out the clock with a super would be fine by me, same as SF4 as a legitimate ( albeit, remote ) tactic.

DR2K

Banned
If the timer is slowed, there shouldn't be a need for it freezing concerning the cinematic super stuff. If the former happened, running out the clock with a super would be fine by me, same as SF4 as a legitimate ( albeit, remote ) tactic.

They should both happen, those cinematics can drag on.

Shouta

I suck at this game, plain and simple. I've a long road and a lot of time ahead of me before I can even begin to think about trying to win matches consistently.

I'm going with Vega/Hwaorang as my team, simply because I enjoy both of those characters. Quick question about Hwaorang, though... Does he have a jump-in cross-up? If so, what is it? I just can't seem to get an attack in by him edge-wise, since he seems to get out-poked for me by, well, everyone else.

I don't think he has many jump-in cross-overs but I haven't played him much yet. Trying to outpoke SF characters kind of a losing battle unless you're intimately familiar with them. Learning how to bait and punish, work the mind games, and getting in is probably a better idea for someone like Hwoarang.

Elfly said:

I generally agree with the sentiment on throws in SF4. They're way strong in the overall context of the game. With no gtfo options, throwing provides huge pressure by A)forcing position and controlling of space B) forcing the wakeup game which is rough as hell in SF4. At least, that's how I see it. Throw range being a bit gimpier and rolls being in the game make the SF4 approach to pressure not as good and a lot of folks aren't as used to it at the moment, IMO.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Most of the supers in this game are way faster than the sf4 ultras. I figured they knew about the clock thing and kept them short for that reason. On the flip side of things. LOL GOD DAMN JIN WHY IS YOUR SUPER SO LONG

LakeEarth

I still thnk it's ridiculous that the timer runs down during a super, but a fireball just hovers still in the air until the animation is done.

DR2K

Banned
Most of the supers in this game are way faster than the sf4 ultras. I figured they knew about the clock thing and kept them short for that reason. On the flip side of things. LOL GOD DAMN JIN WHY IS YOUR SUPER SO LONG

When you factor in the clock speed, they're just about even. Crossarts are even longer than that.

cackhyena

They should both happen, those cinematics can drag on.

Only the tag supers. Nothing in this is any more elaborate than they already were in SF4. That being said, how awesome would it be to have a mode where everything just stayed side scrolling like the good ol days? Quick, no camera changing and right back in it. Ugh, I wish.

ElFly

Cinematics are kind of annoying. Particularly on the Tekken side, where some characters have them in their special moves that aren't grabs (Asuka comes to mind).

Only the tag supers. Nothing in this is any more elaborate than they already were in SF4. That being said, how awesome would it be to have a mode where everything just stayed side scrolling like the good ol days? Quick, no camera changing and right back in it. Ugh, I wish.

So awesome. Move the camera all you want once the fight ends, just leave it alone during the fights.

Room for both, I really actually like the cinematic throws and such, but i don't think it should be in every fighting game that's for sure. Actually Guile's air throw in particular used to give me a headache when I first saw it. I thought it was the worst thing ever.

LakeEarth

Cinematics are kind of annoying. Particularly on the Tekken side, where some characters have them in their special moves that aren't grabs (Asuka comes to mind).
Oh for sure. King's standing command throw goes for literally 3-4 seconds before you get the damage.

cackhyena said:
there are a lot of timeouts so far, but there are also very little use of super arts and cross arts, and practically no use of pandora. i think the way we should moving forward is to promote the use of these things, i.e. freeze time during super/cross arts and allow pandora to freeze the clock completely. so if the clock is running out, you can at least blow pandora for an attempt of another 15 seconds to try to come back.

if i had to choose only one over the other, i'd take the freeze timer on super arts/cross arts/pandora.

Top Bottom