• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

cackhyena

there are a lot of timeouts so far, but there are also very little use of super arts and cross arts, and practically no use of pandora. i think the way we should moving forward is to promote the use of these things, i.e. freeze time during super/cross arts and allow pandora to freeze the clock completely. so if the clock is running out, you can at least blow pandora for an attempt of another 15 seconds to try to come back.

if i had to choose only one over the other, i'd take the freeze timer on super arts/cross arts/pandora.

Yeah, I'd get behind this. Anything is a step in the right direction from where it is currently.

Ferrio

Banned
What jackass thought the last hit of Snake Blade should be low? Last night vs Q I know the whole string is low, yet every so often I get the instinct to block high when seeing that animation.

Stupid eyes don't wanna listen to my brain.

zlatko

Banned
What jackass thought the last hit of Snake Blade should be low? Last night vs Q I know the whole string is low, yet every so often I get the instinct to block high when seeing that animation.

Stupid eyes don't wanna listen to my brain.

What's the right way to block the Ogre multi kick thing? Like he starts low, goes high, then it goes low multiple times again, but I've fucked up everytime one has done that(only fought like 2 that did it), and never got to see what happens after that or how to block.

Ferrio

Banned
What's the right way to block the Ogre multi kick thing? Like he starts low, goes high, then it goes low multiple times again, but I've fucked up everytime one has done that(only fought like 2 that did it), and never got to see what happens after that or how to block.

It's high, mid, low, then rest are high.

there are a lot of timeouts so far, but there are also very little use of super arts and cross arts, and practically no use of pandora. i think the way we should moving forward is to promote the use of these things, i.e. freeze time during super/cross arts and allow pandora to freeze the clock completely. so if the clock is running out, you can at least blow pandora for an attempt of another 15 seconds to try to come back.

if i had to choose only one over the other, i'd take the freeze timer on super arts/cross arts/pandora.

sounds like a good idea to me

I want to see more super/cross arts use, mainly because of recoverable health. I'm curious to see how much of an affect it'd have, since supers don't give any recoverable health and cross arts take all of it away. Those long combos with EX moves and switch cancels give tons of recoverable health but seem to be more popular, based on recent tournaments. Seems like not being able to heal up like 25%-50% of your health over the course of the match would help with time outs.

Ferrio

Banned
So block standing, standing, crouching, then standing for the rest? Is he punishable after it or can he cancel it into something then you can punish?

I haven't hit the lab against it, will be doing that tonight probably. So I can't say for sure, but looking at the frame data:

Second hit you block high, 3rd you block low, all others it doesn't matter. It's punishable after the last hit it looks like. Might be punishable after the mid hit too.

After my bouts with Q last night I'm more worried about julia now. Don't know shit about her, that damn backdash and crumble mid hit are such a bitch.

Shouta

Ogre is like the devil fusion of SF character design and Tekken character design in this game, crazy good pokes and reach, and can combo off of them lol.

LakeEarth

Recovery of Ogre's 5-kick chain, from the guide:

It depends what kick you end on. They're mostly heavily punishable, if they do all 5 hits, its -11. It's best if they stop on the low, its -5.

I don't know anything about pushback.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

It depends what kick you end on. They're mostly heavily punishable, if they do all 5 hits, its -11. It's best if they stop on the low, its -5.

It's special cancelable who gives a fuck about the recovery

Shouta

If it's the brady guide, the data might be off but I don't know.

Punishing it online is kinda hard though the lag kinda makes that timeframe difficult to get anything else in.

zlatko

Banned

Good, both Kazuya and king can stand or crouch jab into a combo hopefully.

Agreed about Julia. Fuck if I know what she's doing lol. I just rush her ass down and bait out DP's on her wake up. I know that if I'm far away to just block high so I don't get crumpled by her lunge punch.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I haven't hit the lab against it, will be doing that tonight probably. So I can't say for sure, but looking at the frame data:

Second hit you block high, 3rd you block low, all others it doesn't matter. It's punishable after the last hit it looks like. Might be punishable after the mid hit too.

After my bouts with Q last night I'm more worried about julia now. Don't know shit about her, that damn backdash and crumble mid hit are such a bitch.

free 50/50's for life

In general sense, I agree with him, I'm just not quite as bothered by it.

Yeah, I kinda feel like UltraDavid is complaining about many of the mechanics in the game being rather poorly implemented. And in that sense I quite agree with him as both Pandora and Cross Assault seem rather silly and only occasionally useful, especially to lower level players like me. But unlike UltraDavid the addition of poorly implemented mechanics don't really bug me as long as I can just ignore them and just enjoy the rest of the game. UltraDavid really likes the theory stuff, so I can see it bugging him more that extra unneeded crap is in the game.

Bah, I'm so bad at this game. Went like, 1W/10L today.

I just made D+ today, and this was only due to running into like three straight gray or black color Ken, Ryu, Akuma teams that pretty clearly were just flowchart Kens from SFIV playing SFxT for the first time. Also tossed my claw twice mid-match, and not as a taunt, just me spazzing out on the buttons and messing up inputs. So yeah, I'm terrible, having fun though, and I'm actually starting to get a little bit cleaner on my inputs, trying to do lots of different trials (though I usually stall out in the high teens currently) and getting used to not pressing buttons all the time.

Ken

What are some BnBs or things I should know about playing Ibuki and Asuka before I go back into ranked to get destroyed? :(

Shouta

I want to see more super/cross arts use, mainly because of recoverable health. I'm curious to see how much of an affect it'd have, since supers don't give any recoverable health and cross arts take all of it away. Those long combos with EX moves and switch cancels give tons of recoverable health but seem to be more popular, based on recent tournaments. Seems like not being able to heal up like 25%-50% of your health over the course of the match would help with time outs.

It's very smart to use them actually, it minimizes regenerating health. They take time but they also reduce your opponent's pool of resources. So even when switching they don't get extra life. It helps to minimize timeouts some.

"Fun fact: Julia is the first female not to recieve a vagina tax from Ono's team."

Actually, Makoto got her vagina tax removed in AE...only to get it back in 2012.

"You mean they usually have fast pokes and agility? Does that mean rufus is sporting a muff?"

Well, Rufus does have low stun in SF4. Generally speaking I can't really think of too many reasons why a character like Chun-li has low health, yet very similar playstyle characters (Balrog/Vega) don't, however Chun-li does have higher than average stun, apparently.

DR2K

Banned
And that is?

Usually speed, damage, and mobility would be the trade off. Julia excels in all of that though, but then you have a character like Raven that has those qualities, but no health nerf in sight.

I'm not seeing why Nina needs the low health for example. Not yet anyways.

Ferrio

Banned
Ya it seems to me the vagina tax is something that used to be needed when females were all stuck in that agile pokey category and all the males were slow heavy hitters. That's not the case anymore, and now it just seems they kneejerk apply it without actually thinking it through. Nina being a good example.

"Usually speed, damage, and mobility would be the trade off. Julia excels in all of that though, but then you have a character like Raven that has those qualities, but no health nerf in sight."

Julia doesn't excel in speed at all, damage is pretty average for the cast.

Ferrio

Banned
"Usually speed, damage, and mobility would be the trade off. Julia excels in all of that though, but then you have a character like Raven that has those qualities, but no health nerf in sight."

Her backdash isn't excelling in speed?

DR2K

Banned

Her back dash is very fast.

CPS2

What'd be the difference with mashing throw in SF4?
I think it was to do with the chain combos and especially the Tekken strings in SFxTK, on block you could just spam throw and the throw would win. I think the few chain combos in SF4 tend to put them into autoblock. You can still throw someone's limb but it's not something you can just mash during a blockstring now.

I think I spoiled myself by training with King first. Now I'm training with Hwoarang and Law and the damage they do seems piddling in comparison.

7-hit combo with King no meter? 350-400 damage.
7-hit combo with Law no meter? 200-250 damage.

:(

DR2K

Banned
See above. One thing doesn't make an entire character "fast" when the majority of their qualities are slow.

Her foward dash it pretty fast too, and her qcf k are deceptivley quick and cover a lot of space. Plus her qcf lp covers a lot of range quickly. If not fast then she's at the very least incredibly mobile.

Shouta

I think I spoiled myself by training with King first. Now I'm training with Hwoarang and Law and the damage they do seems piddling in comparison.

7-hit combo with King no meter? 350-400 damage.
7-hit combo with Law no meter? 200-250 damage.

:(

Law > King in damage output. Law has free EXs and supers all over the place. He also has more ways of landing the damage.

Top Bottom