• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

LakeEarth

Jeez, for some reason the last hour almost every team has had either a Kazuya or Rolento in the team.

Lets see this next match... yup. Kazuya.
Next match? ... yup. Rolento.
Next match? ... uh oh I know this guy, he's an A rank. Ken/Steve, co-co-co-combo breaker.

galvatron

And while we're at it where my black people at on FG gaf?

Do you find yourself playing characters that require an extremely high amount of inputs such as viper? Or characters with movement options that require excess buttons ala guy and fuerte? Or just flashy and loud characters in general? Do you notice that you get extreme enjoyment out of performing ridiculously long combos that scale damage to shit but are the definition of swag? Joekage is the embodiment of that last one LOL. I find that SFxT would be a perfect case study to see who is truly black out there since while you can perform short efficient combos, you can also bellyflop into the deepend by doing combos three times as long that do less damage.

I'm black and I main Hugo/Guile, so not so much ... I might be inclined to take on someone more execution intensive if I had more play time. As it is, I only get in maybe 10 hours a week.

LakeEarth

Any tips on how to anti-air someone who hurricane kicks at the last second for the crossup? The redirection always lead to a whiffed antiair.

Another Rolento.

Grifter

I always go into my first online game tight and mentally beat and couldn't pull the trigger. Now with my salt levels appropriately raised, my wife calls me out on date night.

Imm0rt4l

I always go into my first online game tight and mentally beat and couldn't pull the trigger. Now with my salt levels appropriately raised, my wife calls me out on date night.
This is the equivalent of losing a match in an unconvincing matter, waiting for the next fight only to see your opponent leave when its your turn to fight again.

You might be SOL then. I feel like the SFxT engine fits dudley a lot more than the sf4 engine did, him having the most likely fastest walk speed in the game only helps. He should be really scary once people get real lab time on him. I'm calling it now that he'll either be A tier or on the cusp of S.

Oh well. I'll play him anyways, I'd rather play a character who I enjoy and is strong than to play a character that is obscure and garbage. No more low tier hero shit for me.

zlatko

Banned
Fucked around with Gems on Kazuya today, and rethought my power gems.

Currently with 3 meters I can get 983 with my Kazuya.

With 2 it's around 800 some.

The most I was able to get was 1283 but that had the dumb Pandora gem so it's 100% worthless, but fuck me if that isn't some serious juice. :p

Rethought my Rolento meter gems as well, and am able to get all 3 to almost proc same time and each is giving a huge boost in meter gain, so now if I land one a knife at the start of a match, then a rekka combo, then I'm in there for some super good meter gain for Kazuya to burn.

Sayah

You are doing it wrong. You don't push the buttons on "snap" but much later just when she's about to let the opponent arms go. The opponents breaking out means you are pushing the buttons too early.

I'm letting Paul go after losing 1000+bp, love the character but capcom made him Dan tier here.

Ah, thanks. :)
Will try this again when I get on.

zlatko

Banned
Ah, thanks. :)
Will try this again when I get on.

Here's how I do it:

The first time you hit the buttons is when you see the crack and two white splashes appear near the point of impact, you then hit again fairly quick after that, then there is a long pause to hit the last one when the screen hits black.

Now I can't do it just by watching it, BUT I found a way to hit the buttons to a pattern or rhythm I create as I press buttons. I don't mash, because that won't work, but you can hit as much as you like as long as you do get a the follow up hits when they need to be. Basically, find a way to drum the buttons along and keep in mind the final hit needs a pause in it.

Ratta ratta ratta, pause, ratta~ratta quickly is how I get it everytime.

Just practice and switch up your timings from earlier to later until you find the sweet spot.

Sayah

Here's how I do it:

The first time you hit the buttons is when you see the crack and two white splashes appear near the point of impact, you then hit again fairly quick after that, then there is a long pause to hit the last one when the screen hits black.

Now I can't do it just by watching it, BUT I found a way to hit the buttons to a pattern or rhythm I create as I press buttons. I don't mash, because that won't work, but you can hit as much as you like as long as you do get a the follow up hits when they need to be. Basically, find a way to drum the buttons along and keep in mind the final hit needs a pause in it.

Ratta ratta ratta, pause, ratta~ratta quickly is how I get it everytime.

Just practice and switch up your timings from earlier to later until you find the sweet spot.

This will be very helpful. I would get on and try now if I didn't have work to finish. Much appreciated.

Tirael

At this rate, I'll be the only Paul player in the country. People dropping him left and right. Represent.

Stylistically I love him, I just hate how he has very few ways to extend combos.

And walk speed don't mean shit when I've got meter for EX Sway.

zlatko

Banned
I love Paul but yeah, he needs work still. He's dan-tier right now but I'm sure they didn't really intend on making him that way. If they'dj ust increase his overall damage output or increase the speed/chain abilities on his attacks, it'd help, I think.

His problems don't lie in damage imo. It lies in hit boxes and foot speed. He is THE easiest character in the game to zone out and just run away from. Plus his hit boxes on his up kicks is dog shit to use as a reversal on wake up. Most of his specials leave him unsafe as fuck too, so that makes him trying to do mix ups like his smasher pointless.

It'd be nice if the knee cap move that moves you forward, could be comboed after mid screen without the ex version.

Also, does landing a sway into HP version where he puts his palm out result in a wall bounce even on counter hit? That'd be great.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
After carefully analyzing the game, I can say this game looks awful. The art and design can't hide the low-res muddy textures and uneven color saturation. Technical wise, it's a step back from SFIV. You definitely should turn down the brightness.

Shouta

His problems don't lie in damage imo. It lies in hit boxes and foot speed. He is THE easiest character in the game to zone out and just run away from. Plus his hit boxes on his up kicks is dog shit to use as a reversal on wake up. Most of his specials leave him unsafe as fuck too, so that makes him trying to do mix ups like his smasher pointless.

It'd be nice if the knee cap move that moves you forward, could be comboed after mid screen without the ex version.

Also, does landing a sway into HP version where he puts his palm out result in a wall bounce even on counter hit? That'd be great.

I think his damage is still pretty lacking. Biggest issue is that all of his specials have the same damage I think, which is awful. His combo options aren't nearly as good as other Tekken characters as well.

Currently with 3 meters I can get 983 with my Kazuya.

4f15f2151b62416b2976e820c676e4557c25f51a.gif

zlatko

Banned

LMFAO! That gif is fantastic. Goooootecks. :(

In memory of Gootecks I'm going to buy two silver rings just like his so I can step up my handsomeness and overall swag.

@Shouta

Also good points there. His combo extension is lousy to capitalize on meter. It's like always better to tag in a partner to get more juice with him it seems. Quite the opposite of Kazuya.

I tried a ton of variations with the teams I use with Kazuya, and attack gems on both, etc and varying up when to tag in, when to spend meter, going for team supers, and all that jazz. In the end I found it's always best for Kazuya to just spend his meters on solo supers. If you have that 1 extra meter just use it for an ex S.Hook into Cr. HP into super.

I hope someday they buff Paul though. Him, Bob, King, and Yoshi are characters I really like and want to play with Kazuya, but I just feel lacking in one too many ways. The only one I'm not sure may be ass in there is Bob, who I still think is slept on, and needs someone with solid execution and footsies to shine light on him.

Tirael

The knee move is called Mountain Raze. As far as I know, the HK version of MR can be combo'd in the corner, and it pushes them a pretty long way anyway. So it's not that far of a stretch to say he might punish a projectile into a combo. (HK MR can also be combo'd from cr.MP, which is one of Paul's better pokes.)

No, HP Sway does not wall bounce on counter. Also he doesn't really put his palm out, it's more of a punch that knocks down if it connects. The EX version ends with a palm, though.

And not everyone can have a real Shoryuken, I guess. : /

Paul has options, just very very few, unfortunately making him pretty predictable. I'm not going to stop using him though. At least, not yet.

Shouta

http://i.picpar.com/4f15f2151b62416b2976e820c676e4557c25f51a.gif

With Power Gems though. Some characters in this can get pretty wild with them but it's only supplemental damage.

Honestly, defense gems are probably the best choice for Tekken, mostly because it allows you to get messy and go in if you got high damage combos. The extra power is nice but most characters have enough to end matches quickly anyway. Power Gems help SF characters quite a bit though.

zlatko

Banned
With Power Gems though. Some characters in this can get pretty wild with them but it's only supplemental damage.

Honestly, defense gems are probably the best choice for Tekken, mostly because it allows you to get messy and go in if you got high damage combos. The extra power is nice but most characters have enough to end matches quickly anyway. Power Gems help SF characters quite a bit though.

I'm of the Gootecks mindset philosophy of SF. Meter, meter, meter. That's why Rolento is the battery for me. I find my own defense and footsies good enough that I shouldn't ever lose a match free, and instead it will be down to the wire, or clearly in my favor.

That's why I want power gems on Kazuya when I can tag him in off a Rekka. He does fantastic damage if you catch people sure, but his normal link combos without EWGF aren't too beafy, and those gems make even those scary.

Plus, right now a lot of my shitty match ups are against giant health characters. (Rufus, Hugo, Gief) I want every hit I can get in on them to REALLY hurt as bad as how one of their openings on me hurts badly with or without gems.

You're right though that in the current state of the game, defense gems are hella strong, especially if you don't mind playing lame and taking advantage of the game's shitty clock. At some point I hope the time issue is patched, and that way my gem philosophy will be even stronger.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Never I will stick with power julia and ogre and you will deal with it!

Myomoto

Is there some kind of trick to landing King's Jumping Knee Lift when he comes in from a launcher/cross rush that I'm just not getting? I think I've managed to hit it 2 times...

Grifter

Is there some kind of trick to landing King's Jumping Knee Lift when he comes in from a launcher/cross rush that I'm just not getting? I think I've managed to hit it 2 times...

I just don't think it's possible with certain distances (and possibly characters).

LakeEarth

I love it when someone activates super when I have a defense gem or two on. It's like, that gem was worth its slot!

Went to training mode to optimize some stuff with Kazuya/King. I discovered that you can't tag cancel Kazuya's mist step uppercut (lp), so no fancy uppercut into King knees. Figuring out ways to get King's elbow special into some combos.

And I discovered that I've been leaving an 'easy' 106 damage on the table with Kazuya after a god wind fist. I always went for a sweep after, but it is so much better going standing fierce xx mist step xx uppercut into kick followup. You just gotta get the standing fierce timing down.

cackhyena

After carefully analyzing the game, I can say this game looks awful. The art and design can't hide the low-res muddy textures and uneven color saturation. Technical wise, it's a step back from SFIV. You definitely should turn down the brightness.

That's been obvious from day one. I think the game is fun, but why does the movement of all these characters feel more rigid than in SF4? Something I can't put my finger on. Characters I used to use, Guile, Ryu, Ibuki...just not as smooth using them to me.

LakeEarth

Hmm, when I connect my xbox directly to my modem, the "VS" screen just sticks there for literally a minute before starting up the match. Connecting it to my router, its fine. I wonder why that is. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That's been obvious from day one. I think the game is fun, but why does the movement of all these characters feel more rigid than in SF4? Something I can't put my finger on. Characters I used to use, Guile, Ryu, Ibuki...just not as smooth using them to me.

I personally think they took out some of the animations to compensate for a lot of other stuff.

AAK

Man, I have come to the conclusion that Asuka is absolutely inept in this game.

- None of her normals have feasible Anti-Air properties
- None of her air to airs have have any special properties such as putting them in a juggle state or ground bounce
- Her counter is absolutely useless if any of the specials done by the opponent have them leaving the ground at any point in time... i.e. you can't counter dragon punches, hunting hawks, spinning bird kicks, etc.
- Her command grab and her anti air grabs are extremely risky to use unless you use the EX version because of their startups
- Her super is retardedly hard to juggle into considering you need to get the last cartwheel kick to connect
- Her only way of dealing with projectiles is her hcb+p which can only be viable to use at a range where no one is stupid enough to even throw a fireball.
- Nothing to pressure with at long range
- Her only good Anti Airs is her LVL3 and EX air grab making her extremely vulnerable to jump ins.

By no means am I an expert at this game so I could've missed a lot but lordy, there's very little reward to playing her considering how risky she is.

I tried for a long time to get the Jumping Knee Lift to connect and with any characters I paired him with (Zangief, Cammy, Hwoarang, Law, Abel off the top of my head) the jumping knee lift just doesn't combo well. I can't even get it to work off an EX Hunting Hawk switch. You might have success with a c.HP into a knee lift but I can't get it to work. The only normals I can get to work reliably off a switch with King is his HP and HK which pretty much end combos anyway.

LakeEarth

I think only certain characters launch you high enough to get knees right away. Vega I think. For Kazuya after a launch I do c.jab as soon as possible, rising knee, then standing fierce cancelled into powerbomb, ex powerbomb or super.

Shouta

Man, I have come to the conclusion that Asuka is absolutely inept in this game.

- None of her air to airs have have any special properties such as putting them in a juggle state or ground bounce

Counter hits in the air cause a juggle state.

Top Bottom