• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Shouta

But that's general across all characters. She could have desperately used something like ryu or juri's j.mp to give her something against people that just freely jump to her.

If you're having trouble against folks that jump-in on you, try jumping back and doing a melee attack. It seems to be a much more viable option for a lot of Tekken characters.

AAK

Just play lili if you want a fluid female tekken character

I just like playing characters that are very gimmicky. Hence why I use juri in ssf4. In this game she's kinda brainless. Lili has a very unappealing character design and I refuse to play her.

I dunno... gonna grind it out a bit more and see what I can come up with. I originally wanted to use yoshimitsu but his walk speed is wayyy too annoying.

impact

Banned
I just like playing characters that are very gimmicky. Hence why I use juri in ssf4. In this game she's kinda brainless. Lili has a very unappealing character design and I refuse to play her.

I dunno... gonna grind it out a bit more and see what I can come up with. I originally wanted to use yoshimitsu but his walk speed is wayyy too annoying.

Seems like you only like playing bad characters

I've finally cracked on the Kuma front and have dropped him for Ryu. I'm currently running with him on point; the first combo I land I launch into Jin as it's the most damage I can get with no meter, the next combo I tag cancel a combo back to Ryu and my opponent's next to dead. Looking back I was crazy to ever use that bear.

Is there some kind of trick to landing King's Jumping Knee Lift when he comes in from a launcher/cross rush that I'm just not getting? I think I've managed to hit it 2 times...

I do a jab before I do the knee. I play Paul/King, and I can never get the knee straight up. I probably suck, heh.

Shouta

Bear Defense Force assemble.

any minute now

Did someone call?

I've been killing folks left and right with him myself. Smarter ones give me a bit of trouble but I've gotten to 5500 BP with Kuma and Law, so it's working nicely.

I have to say I enjoy going into the Elite Channel and watching some of the replays in there. Just watched a Julia/Rufus vs. Heihachi/Marduk match that was pretty amazing and made me feel impotent at fighting games. The combos, the combos!!

Myomoto

Nah it's character specific I think. Some characters magic series launch higher than others.

I've only tried doing it with Guile on point, and so far I've managed to hit a couple of Kazuyas with the knee right after Guile's launcher, and earlier today I managed to hit a Juri with it, but it seems like the timing is insanely strict.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've only tried doing it with Guile on point, and so far I've managed to hit a couple of Kazuyas with the knee right after Guile's launcher, and earlier today I managed to hit a Juri with it, but it seems like the timing is insanely strict.

I'm pretty sure the timing is strict, based off info from a friend. I also think that's why Combofiend switched up his tag-in combo from knees to like punch punch power bomb - because he'd drop it more times than not. A lot of characters have some weird timing on tag-in moves that are optimal. Law's back.mp.mp comes to mind..so many times I flew under the opponent..

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Alright consider me salty. What the fuck is unsafe for Hugo. Is there anything he can do that can be punished minus whiffing a fuckin throw..which no Hugo even does..

I'm an expert

Yeah but they only clothesline after a hit confirm. And whether they let go of their charge clothesline or not is usually a guess. I don't really have a huge problem with Hugos but I literally fought 3 in a row in ranked and it was jab clap jab clap jab clap splash jab clap.. kind of hard to alpha counter as well though I guess I should work on that training.

Sayah

Man, I have come to the conclusion that Asuka is absolutely inept in this game.

- None of her normals have feasible Anti-Air properties
- None of her air to airs have have any special properties such as putting them in a juggle state or ground bounce
- Her counter is absolutely useless if any of the specials done by the opponent have them leaving the ground at any point in time... i.e. you can't counter dragon punches, hunting hawks, spinning bird kicks, etc.
- Her command grab and her anti air grabs are extremely risky to use unless you use the EX version because of their startups
- Her super is retardedly hard to juggle into considering you need to get the last cartwheel kick to connect
- Her only way of dealing with projectiles is her hcb+p which can only be viable to use at a range where no one is stupid enough to even throw a fireball.
- Nothing to pressure with at long range
- Her only good Anti Airs is her LVL3 and EX air grab making her extremely vulnerable to jump ins.

By no means am I an expert at this game so I could've missed a lot but lordy, there's very little reward to playing her considering how risky she is.

You should try Nina. Soooooooooooo much fun to play with. Not nearly as fun as she is in Tekken 6 but still fun.

Edit: I also can pull off Nina's command grab now thanks to GrayFox and Zlatko.

I won three matches tonight where people hard-tagged in characters with significantly lower health (as in the character that tagged out had 75%+ health left, while the character they tagged in was ~10% left). Now I'm not the best, but even I can punish a hard tag correctly. It wasn't weird until it happened to me in 3 out of the last 5 matches.

I also had something neat happen. I did an EX Giant Swing with King right as my opponent switched out his character, but the Giant Swing connected so the new character was helpless and just stood there as my King went through the entire throw animation. Nearly killed his second character, too with that, I wonder if I would have gotten the K.O.

Shouta

I won three matches tonight where people hard-tagged in characters with significantly lower health (as in the character that tagged out had 75%+ health left, while the character they tagged in was ~10% left). Now I'm not the best, but even I can punish a hard tag correctly. It wasn't weird until it happened to me in 3 out of the last 5 matches.

I also had something neat happen. I did an EX Giant Swing with King right as my opponent switched out his character, but the Giant Swing connected so the new character was helpless and just stood there as my King went through the entire throw animation. Nearly killed his second character, too with that, I wonder if I would have gotten the K.O.

It's possible, yes. I've done it before myself with Kuma's Headbutt. Switch tags aren't always safe if the move you did is blocked.

Finaika

- None of her air to airs have have any special properties such as putting them in a juggle state or ground bounce
- Her counter is absolutely useless if any of the specials done by the opponent have them leaving the ground at any point in time... i.e. you can't counter dragon punches, hunting hawks, spinning bird kicks, etc.
- Her command grab and her anti air grabs are extremely risky to use unless you use the EX version because of their startups
- Her super is retardedly hard to juggle into considering you need to get the last cartwheel kick to connect
- Her only way of dealing with projectiles is her hcb+p which can only be viable to use at a range where no one is stupid enough to even throw a fireball.
- Her only good Anti Airs is her LVL3 and EX air grab making her extremely vulnerable to jump ins.

By no means am I an expert at this game so I could've missed a lot but lordy, there's very little reward to playing her considering how risky she is.

I play Asuka.

:(

DR2K

Banned

Well I mean they didn't accidentally give her Makato's english VA.

You should try Nina. Soooooooooooo much fun to play with. Not nearly as fun as she is in Tekken 6 but still fun.

Edit: I also can pull off Nina's command grab now thanks to GrayFox and Zlatko.

At what point do you press the punches during the second chain?

LakeEarth

Yup, I've done it before. My opponent knew it and taunted while waiting for his inevitable demise.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I like Asuka despite her being just as bad in the game as she is in Tekken. Problem is many of her moves have slow start up so it's easy to predict what she's going to do. But if she lands something, she can potentially take off a lot of health so that's good for her. She seems really free to zoning though so using her against long range characters would be a bad idea.

Finaika

I like Asuka despite her being just as bad in the game as she is in Tekken. Problem is many of her moves have slow start up so it's easy to predict what she's going to do. But if she lands something, she can potentially take off a lot of health so that's good for her. She seems really free to zoning though so using her against long range characters would be a bad idea.

Forever low tier

screen14.jpg

Consider me a convert to the Church of Julia. After messing around with her in training and discovering how brain-dead easy her BnBs are, I'm pretty happy with her. I can now do Zangief/King, Hwoarang/King, Cammy/Julia, Hwoarang/Law, and King/Julia as possible combinations. I'm still working on Law, though. Julia came a lot easier.

Also, damage scaling is really freakin' weird in this game. King/Julia: start with King, do j.HK > launcher > H Rising Kick. 300+ damage. That's crazy. Easily the best input to damage ratio I've seen that involves a switch and no meter.

AAK

Asuka has one of the best cross-up moves in the game though.

It has good range... but it's hardly ambiguous. IMO a crossup being ambiguous is is a far more useful quality than the range of it. A competent player will always know which direction to block.

Also from the fiddling I've done, the only other jumping normal that an possibly cross up is lk.... making trying to get damage even harder because of the lower hitstun & damage compared to the other jumping normals.

Shouta

It has good range... but it's hardly ambiguous. IMO a crossup being ambiguous is is a far more useful quality than the range of it. A competent player will always know which direction to block.

Also from the fiddling I've done, the only other jumping normal that an possibly cross up is lk.... making trying to get damage even harder because of the lower hitstun & damage compared to the other jumping normals.

Consistency, is the biggest point to it IMO. Not the range. A lot of characters can cross-up but that HP is like guaranteed, even if it's blocked, unless you totally botch the jump.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm feeling much more comfortable with Kaz/Jin in ranked now. Actually hitting my combos, and stuff coming more naturally now.

Yeah but they only clothesline after a hit confirm. And whether they let go of their charge clothesline or not is usually a guess. I don't really have a huge problem with Hugos but I literally fought 3 in a row in ranked and it was jab clap jab clap jab clap splash jab clap.. kind of hard to alpha counter as well though I guess I should work on that training.

It's not a true block string. You can reverse between the jab and clap.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I wish Cammy's DP was as good was is was in SF4. I'm not used to it getting stuffed so much.

Also, does Julia have an unblockable move? That lunging punch that builds up?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I wish Cammy's DP was as good was is was in SF4. I'm not used to it getting stuffed so much.

Also, does Julia have an unblockable move? That lunging punch that builds up?

No, she doesn't have an unblockable but there are situations where you can do an unblockable with the right team. Her lunging punch is overhead.

Tashi

No, she doesn't have an unblockable but there are situations where you can do an unblockable with the right team. Her lunging punch is overhead.

Oh ok. I must have been crouching then. I had some guy do it to me a bunch on wake up and it would really fuck me up.

There are so many new characters to learn in this game. It's tough.

Thanks

Tirael

There are a lot of overheads in this game that don't look like overheads. Kazuya's Oni Front Kick comes to mind. It's essentially a thrust kick that hits about at torso level, but if you're crouching, you can't block it.

Tashi

There are a lot of overheads in this game that don't look like overheads. Kazuya's Oni Front Kick comes to mind. It's essentially a thrust kick that hits about at torso level, but if you're crouching, you can't block it.

There are just a lot of overheads period. Some characters have over heads in the middle of their multi hit attacks. Almost like Abel's turn of hands...or whatever it's called. I know Heihachi has one that's tough to block. Also, if it hits it's leading to a huge ass combo. And Haworang has one too. The kick. That also usually leads to a huge ass combo.

There are just a lot of overheads period. Some characters have over heads in the middle of their multi hit attacks. Almost like Abel's turn of hands...or whatever it's called. I know Heihachi has one that's tough to block. Also, if it hits it's leading to a huge ass combo. And Haworang has one too. The kick. That also usually leads to a huge ass combo.

That Heihachi punch is the bane of my existence. Seriously. I hate it. So much.

Yeah I remember getting hit by a lot of his overheads that didn't look like overheads. I played Ccrook in a Kazuya mirror. We played it mainly as a 1v1 game. I didn't switch because I wanted to learn Kazuya, he noticed this and then didn't switch much either. I was still getting use to the character while he was decent with him at the time, I was getting hit with all sorts of stuff and didn't know how to block them. Besides his 3 overheads that look like overheads, he has probably about 4 moves that don't look like overheads but are.

I really like the character. I'm guessing he won't be in SF5 so I hope they make a character like him. Meaning a character with a lot of overheads, so he has a strong high low mix up game. But on the other hand he has no reversals or escapes so he either blows people up or gets blown up himself.

cackhyena

I really like the character. I'm guessing he won't be in SF5 so I hope they make a character like him. Meaning a character with a lot of overheads, so he has a strong high low mix up game. But on the other hand he has no reversals or escapes so he either blows people up or gets blown up himself.

Was thinking the same thing last night playing him.

I really like the character. I'm guessing he won't be in SF5 so I hope they make a character like him.

That's what I'm hoping for for quite a few of the Tekken characters. I really like King and Hwoarang's style, particularly in that King is a more mobile/varied wrestler character than compared to like...Zangief or Hugo or one of those types. I've never played any of the SF3 series so I'm guessing R. Mika might be similar? But yeah, I hope SF5, whenever it comes, is more focused on varied new characters than another greatest hits compilation like SSFIV.

But yeah, I hope SF5, whenever it comes, is more focused on varied new characters than another greatest hits compilation like SSFIV.

And have another SF3 situation? The franchise is sort of doomed to bring back the mainstays over and over with their straight forward, archaic playstyles.

I'd really like to see the franchise turned on its head in the next iteration. Make Ryu an old dude or something and giving him a walking stick that he can use like Rolento. Also, Ken is dead.

Oh ok. I must have been crouching then. I had some guy do it to me a bunch on wake up and it would really fuck me up.

There are so many new characters to learn in this game. It's tough.

Thanks

Hey, are you the guy I played about seven hours ago? What was the team... I think it was Rolento/Hugo? I was Julia/Steve. Dude licked me with Hugo's super armor and after the game he messaged me asking if Julia's hard lunge punch was unblockable.

cackhyena

And have another SF3 situation? The franchise is sort of doomed to bring back the mainstays over and over with their straight forward, archaic playstyles.

I'd really like to see the franchise turned on its head in the next iteration. Make Ryu an old dude or something and giving him a walking stick that he can use like Rolento. Also, Ken is dead.

I laughed.

Tashi

Hey, are you the guy I played about seven hours ago? What was the team... I think it was Rolento/Hugo? I was Julia/Steve. Dude licked me with Hugo's super armor and after the game he messaged me asking if Julia's hard lunge punch was unblockable.

No.

I play Cammy/Sagat.

Still trying to get used to Sagat. He's such a fuckin robot compared to Cammy. I have to get better with zoning and connecting on some hard hitting combos.

Shouta

Wow, finally sitting down with Asuka, Her damage is surprisingly good even without jumps. Getting close 350-ish for most ground started combos, jump-ins are closer to 450 damage. Pretty neat.

Ferrio

Banned
Good games, Ferrio. Poor Asuka got her ass whooped. Law and Kuma got revenge for her though!

I was stupid, I should of stopped jumping. If i lost the trade kuma gets that easy ass big damage combo. Still lot of dropped mist steps for me, always would eat something when I fucked it up.

Top Bottom