• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

cackhyena

Guy I sparred with on my friends list seriously told me fuck that tagging shit when I suggested it in a message. Ibuki or bust for him just like sf4. Next time we played he literally never switched to his other character once, in about 10 or so matches in a row of getting his ass handed to him.

I eventually just asked why he's even bothering if he won't use both chars. He says only other one he likes to use is blanka so he's waiting for dlc. I could have screamed.

GorillaJu

I've been beaten a lot by people that I am better than 1 on 1 but they used magic series and launcher at every opportunity and made it difficult since their constant switching gave them so much effective HP

LakeEarth

I'm having a lot of trouble getting SRK's after crouching medium kicks and such in the middle of Heihachi strings. QCF P always comes out instead.

For example, say I do a DP + LP, then want to do C.MK into DP + MP, I always end up doing demon's breath instead and knocking them away. Anyone have any tips on this? Should I be doing standing moves in the middle of his strings instead? Are there any standing moves that work?
You can d.mk, then go df db df and press punch and SRK will come out. df d df is a SRK shortcut. You never have to stop crouching, which also keeps your hitbox low which has its advantages.

Be aware that this only works in games where the shortcut is available (SF4 and SFxT). It's a bad habit when you try to get into games that don't have it, like 3rd Strike.

If you don't want to do the shortcut, here's another trick. Try forward, then d.mk, then df.p. Puts the down kick into the SRK motion. Takes a little practice.

ShinAmano

Did the sound fix go in yesterday?

Also I go about 50/50 in my ranked matches...seems that most of the losses are to tekken characters...guess I just dont know thier flow yet.

I am still undefeated at ranked 1v2 which makes me happy ;)

You can d.mk, then go df db df and press punch and SRK will come out. df d df is a SRK shortcut. You never have to stop crouching, which also keeps your hitbox low which has its advantages.

Be aware that this only works in games where the shortcut is available (SF4 and SFxT). It's a bad habit when you try to get into games that don't have it, like 3rd Strike.

If you don't want to do the shortcut, here's another trick. Try forward, then d.mk, then df.p. Puts the down kick into the SRK motion. Takes a little practice.
for some people shortcuts can be your enemy. but it can be your friend if you let it. this is how i do it:

hold downforward, mk, down, downforward + punch.

rock said:
I meant cr.hp, sorry.
link timing is like lp----lp----lp
chain timing is like lp-mp--hp---hp
so to transition from link to chain... do lp----lp----lp-mp--hp---hp

I go 50/50 on ranked because I go for Pandora combos when I'm clearly in a winning position.

but now I can't play because my account is under investigation as I played victim to the FIFA hack. =[

LakeEarth

Yeah, this game is full of shitty achievements.

Connect with 100 quick combos? You mean that shit that I accidentally get and ruins my matches? Activate assist gems? Those gems that I hate and think harm the overall quality of the game and will never ever select?

At least Marvel's only shitty achievement was getting 500k points in arcade mode.

Connect with 100 quick combos? You mean that shit that I accidentally get and ruins my matches? Activate assist gems? Those gems that I hate and think harm the overall quality of the game and will never ever select?

At least Marvel's only shitty achievement was getting 500k points in arcade mode.

its crazy the amount of bs achievments in this game. it makes you wonder if crapcom intended for us to play the game this way...using quick combo's, gems and other gimmicky mechanics.

I lost a match yesterday because of that one anti-throw gem...had the life lead and everything....

LakeEarth

I hate the auto block gem, especially the flash when it activates. Its basically the game going "yeah, you WOULD have smacked him here. But instead, fuck you."

Would anyone be willing to help me train? Maybe set up something over Skype perhaps? It'd be greatly appreciated.

I've been a SF fan all my life but I want to really be as good as possible this time around.

Can't you disable that in the controls?

I didn't even look at those ridiculous achievements, haha.

I just like the background when you get the Pandora KO and the cool looking icon you get with the win.

LakeEarth

Don't forget the get 100 perfects achievement *groan*.

Well at least with that one it will EVENTUALLY happen. Same with the 500 supers, 500 wins, etc. No matter how bad you are, if you play enough it'll happen.

But win with pandora 300 times? It's useless! If you just activate pandora raw, it's almost an instant "lose" button. People are just going to run away (which is really easy to do in this game).

If you do it mid-combo, then you're taking a huge risk for such a small damage bonus. Did you miss the combo followup? You lose. Did you misjudge the damage and he's still alive? You lose. Did match time run out mid combo because the pandora activation animation ate up 3 seconds? You lose. Did the pandora run out before your super animation was finished? You lose.

For a 15% damage boost to your already scaled combo that might've done the job without pandora in the first place. It also drains your meter for the next round, win or lose.

And don't mention level 3 pandora related gems. That's dedicating a lot of your gem slots for the chance to do something incredibly situational.

There's gotta be someone willing to help me get better.

If not can someone point me to the guides/videos I should be looking at?

a) who are you looking to learn character wise
b) what side of the country are in (assuming you're in the us)
c) how old are you..... not even joking
d) what are you experiences with fighting games
e) do you like losing a lot?

a) who are you looking to learn character wise
b) what side of the country are in (assuming you're in the us)
c) how old are you..... not even joking
d) what are you experiences with fighting games
e) do you like losing a lot?
a.) Abel/Asuka. 2 characters I happen to find interesting but I have no set preference. I'll learn anyone.
b.) Southeast
c.) 19
d.) I've been a casual fan since SFII. I became competitive with SFIV but have yet to properly learn anything.
e.) I have no issue with losing, it's how you learn.

a.) Abel/Asuka. 2 characters I happen to find interesting but I have no set preference. I'll learn anyone.
b.) Southeast
c.) 19
d.) I've been a casual fan since SFII. I became competitive with SFIV but have yet to properly learn anything.

I can't help you much with abel but i can help you with asuka. I have tutorial videos for asuka but im sure you probably want a something more than simply watching a video and following notations.

are you on xbox by any chance? Im going to my local arcade spot tonight but should be home around 11pm est. add me on xbl and just msg me that you're from neogaf.

gt is the same as my gaf username

edit: just sent you a pm

I can't help you much with abel but i can help you with asuka. I have tutorial videos for asuka but im sure you probably want a something more than simply watching a video and following notations.

are you on xbox by any chance? Im going to my local arcade spot tonight but should be home around 11pm est. add me on xbl and just msg me that you're from neogaf.

gt is the same as my gaf username
Thanks for the vids.

I won't be on 360 until I move into my University dorms. Kicking it on PS3 for now.

GrayFoxPL

I'm having a lot of trouble getting SRK's after crouching medium kicks and such in the middle of Heihachi strings. QCF P always comes out instead.

For example, say I do a DP + LP, then want to do C.MK into DP + MP, I always end up doing demon's breath instead and knocking them away. Anyone have any tips on this? Should I be doing standing moves in the middle of his strings instead? Are there any standing moves that work?

Have you tried f,d+mk,df+mp ?
If you are on pad df+mk,df+mp should work too.
Both work for me.

b.) Southeast
c.) 19
asuka has really good strings (especially mk, c.mp). most of them are extremely safe and makes it easy to hit confirm. get in range for them and then abuse them.

her standing short is a really good button. it hits low and has very good range and can chain into the [mk, c.mp] string.

Dre3001

So I just got this game yesterday and have been playing for a good amount today and I dont see why it was receiving so much hate on sites like Shoryuken and whatnot. Game is a blast.

I jumped online for a little bit and surprisingly beat 2 people but then lost 4 straight and decided to log off and get back into the training room.

In Street Fighter 4 I was really good with Abel but in this game he seems slower for some reason (Havent played SF4 in a while). I only tried some trials with a few characters and havent really dug deep into the game but so far im liking Kazuya and Hworang the most. It might just be the Tekken characters though since im loving the addition of launchers and what not.

Still gotta adjust to using two characters as many times I only switch when low on health with one rather then using both for combos and what not.

Anyways for Kazuya I watched some videos and cant get the EGWF down yet but can easily do myst into some other combos and what not.

Hworang I need some help with. I did most of his trials but still don't really know some strong combos with him or good setups.

Anyone playing Hworang can you provide some tips? What moves in particular should I be focusing on?

I played Abel in SF4 and that was my initial reaction as well but after awhile he starts to feel the same. He does play differently (step kick, command grab, roll oki mixups not as important) though. I realize I said he's the same and different... well, I guess that's the progression you'll have with him. (He feels slow -> nah he feels the same -> I gotta play him differently).

goldensun

Picked up ryu for fun, and my friend was using bison.

I think we had like 40 wins and 2 losses near the end of our session online today. Character is really broken. Such easy hit confirms that lead to insane damage if you have meter.

I think every time a ryu lands [anything] xx EX Donkey Kick, cr.HP xx HK Donkey Kick, cr.HP xx Tatsu in the corner, someone dies a little inside. I feel heartless playing this character, lol.

LakeEarth

Anyways for Kazuya I watched some videos and cant get the EGWF down yet but can easily do myst into some other combos and what not.
Kazuya tips:
- abuse his b.hk, its like Ken's stepkick but an overhead
- easy non-mist step combo - c.lk c.lk (or any more really) lp slaughter hooks, c. fierce, EX slaughter hooks, c.fierce, qcf fierce. ~400.
- my favourite meterless mist step combo (non EGWF) - c.mk xx mist step GWF, s.fierce xx mist step uppercut to kick followup. ~330 damage.
- change uppercut to EX slaughter hooks, c.fp xx qcf fierce for ~380, or super for 450.
- abuse his c.lk c.mk s.fp chain, its almost entirely safe, good starting range, starts low. One of the best chains in the game.
- c.mp links real easy, play around with that

Myomoto

abuse his overhead, which can lead into a big damage combo very easily. if they catch on to your mids, then go low.

Is his overhead safe though? I've been punching a lot of Kazuyas in the teeth lately with Guile's standing fierce because they're constantly trying to be cute with their mid/low strings that aren't safe on block.

Picked up ryu for fun, and my friend was using bison.

I think we had like 40 wins and 2 losses near the end of our session online today. Character is really broken. Such easy hit confirms that lead to insane damage if you have meter.

I think every time a ryu lands [anything] xx EX Donkey Kick, cr.HP xx HK Donkey Kick, cr.HP xx Tatsu in the corner, someone dies a little inside. I feel heartless playing this character, lol.

I really don't get what the fuck they were thinking with Ryu in this game, he's got EVERYTHING. Excellent reversal/anti-air, great movement speed, 2 very good cross-ups, great projectiles (which he can charge), beast-mode damage, good normals, etc.

Well at least with that one it will EVENTUALLY happen. Same with the 500 supers, 500 wins, etc. No matter how bad you are, if you play enough it'll happen.

But win with pandora 300 times? It's useless! If you just activate pandora raw, it's almost an instant "lose" button. People are just going to run away (which is really easy to do in this game).

If you do it mid-combo, then you're taking a huge risk for such a small damage bonus. Did you miss the combo followup? You lose. Did you misjudge the damage and he's still alive? You lose. Did match time run out mid combo because the pandora activation animation ate up 3 seconds? You lose. Did the pandora run out before your super animation was finished? You lose.

For a 15% damage boost to your already scaled combo that might've done the job without pandora in the first place. It also drains your meter for the next round, win or lose.

And don't mention level 3 pandora related gems. That's dedicating a lot of your gem slots for the chance to do something incredibly situational.

Well, we know for a fact that sometime in May they'll release 60 additional gems, one of them increasing the Pandora timer to 20 sec (up from 10 sec), that should at least make it more useful. To be honest, I'm ok with the fact that you need to spend your gems to make Pandora viable (i.e. +30% damage gem), but to be fair it CAN be used mid combo, and it does give you full super meter, and that at least *sounds* somewhat useful to pull off if you're in a loosing situation in the final round of a match.

What exactly is Hwaorang's overhead? MP?
forward+mk is plus on both hit and on block. if it hits, you can link into full combo, if it misses you still have frame advantage to keep up the pressure. the link is kinda tight though. pretty decent overhead, but i wouldn't say its abusable.

forward+hk is -4 on block so its somewhat unsafe, but can be hard to punish if the distance is right (outside of jab range). its also slower, but i guess the only good thing about it is it leads to ground bounce for an easy combo. still usable.

the overhead you want to avoid spamming is his string overhead [mp, lp]. it leads into groundbounce for good damage, but you should use after confirming off of a cr.short. if its blocked, you can change up into mp, dynamite heel instead which is +1. however, if you see them still crouching and wanna try to catch them sleeping you can attempt the overhead, but its not safe on block. if see them always blocking high, then you can do the chris g and go into sweep instead. damage is damage and so is a hard knockdown. the way i look at this overhead is that its a primarily groundbounce that just happens to double as an overhead.

my favourite overhead is his fade away kick (back+mk). its his fastest overhead, its special cancellable making it completely safe and potential big damage, and the has the bonus of crushing crouching attacks. so its pretty good both for poking and for pressure. i have no problems using this multiple times in a match.

another, i suppose often overlooked overhead is his hk hunting hawk. its a 3 hit special move, and the last one hits mid. its probably one of your best switch cancel move. using the 3rd mid hit you can create a high/low mixup.

xsYyZ.png

LakeEarth

Well, we know for a fact that sometime in May they'll release 60 additional gems, one of them increasing the Pandora timer to 20 sec (up from 10 sec), that should at least make it more useful. To be honest, I'm ok with the fact that you need to spend your gems to make Pandora viable (i.e. +30% damage gem), but to be fair it CAN be used mid combo, and it does give you full super meter, and that at least *sounds* somewhat useful to pull off if you're in a loosing situation in the final round of a match.

But it doesn't give you full super meter right away, it builds. Which means you might not have enough meter if you start with a low amount of it. And super meter doesn't matter too much for characters with long super animations, since you can run out of pandora time even while the super animation is going.

Myomoto

But it doesn't give you full super meter right away, it builds. Which means you might not have enough meter if you start with a low amount of it. And super meter doesn't matter too much for characters with long super animations, since you can run out of pandora time even while the super animation is going.

One of the Pandora gems reduces your meter-usage by 40%.

SUPARSTARX

It refills. Some pandora combos still require you to have one stock or two depending on what you're synergizing with your team. I wouldn't go as far to use two gems revolving around pandora if it came down to it, maybe just one. The 30% damage one is pretty good, but it's hella tight. Like if you use it with Law coming in and you're going to run a Super move on it, you have to Super pretty early or else the timer runs out on you I believe.

Top Bottom