• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

But it doesn't give you full super meter right away, it builds. Which means you might not have enough meter if you start with a low amount of it. And super meter doesn't matter too much for characters with long super animations, since you can run out of pandora time even while the super animation is going.
the real question to ask is are people not doing pandora combos currently because they're not worth it, or the situation doesn't arise to really take advantage of it. if its the latter, no amount of pandora gems will solve much of anything. naked pandora activations can still be turtled. if someone wants to waste all their gems on something that will win them maybe 1/10 rounds or less, then so be it.

the real reason people are going to gem out for pandora mode is
for that stupid achievement.

suparstarx said:
cammy is a zoner in this game? news to me.

Xevren

Anyone have tips for Law and King, good buttons/aa and what not.

AA's for king:

air counter (forward+3p)
cl mp works, but not the greatest
ex jaguar bomb is the best but it costs a meter, since it's strike invulnerable (I think it is anywho)
shoulder tackle is good too

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
the real question to ask is are people not doing pandora combos currently because they're not worth it, or the situation doesn't arise to really take advantage of it. if its the latter, no amount of pandora gems will solve much of anything. naked pandora activations can still be turtled. if someone wants to waste all their gems on something that will win them maybe 1/10 rounds or less, then so be it.

the real reason people are going to gem out for pandora mode is
for that stupid achievement.

cammy is a zoner in this game? news to me.

I think maybe he means a footsie character? My experience with Cammy in this game is limited but she does seem more about footsies and less about rushdown in this game. I dunno. Zoning and footsies are pretty similar concepts anyway.

That post is weird. Half of it is wrong, half of it is obvious week-one stuff, and very little of it actually has to do with the meta game.

El Sloth

Banned
Re-posting this in all the fighting game threads:

This seems like a good time to post that I just set up what I hope to be a FGC catch-all channel for GAF on IRC:

#gafilluminati (props to Stabby McSter for the name!)

on Dorksnet servers (irc.wiicafe.com, irc.gamecubecafe.com, irc.browsingtheinternet.com))

Mibbit link for those that don't have a chat program:
http://mibbit.com/?channel=#gafilluminati&server=irc.browsingtheinternet.com

I recommend downloading XChat or mIRC though.

It's pretty quiet right now, but it was only literally just made 20 minutes ago. Probably best used during streams, but come and talk about whatever the hell you guys want.

Tirael

I really don't get what the fuck they were thinking with Ryu in this game, he's got EVERYTHING. Excellent reversal/anti-air, great movement speed, 2 very good cross-ups, great projectiles (which he can charge), beast-mode damage, good normals, etc.

I know, I've thought the same thing! As soon as he starts charging that Hadoken, he's controlling the lower half of the screen, and you don't know if he's using the L, M, or H versions. And then when he charges it up, it eats other projectiles, etc. But if you're closing in, he can just decide to dash one way or another, or perhaps let it go early and then SHORYUKEN. You're right, he has a lot of options.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The dumb thing is that if you're playing one character and you're looking for another character that goes well with them, there's literally no reason not to play Ryu or Rufus unless you just don't want to play those characters.

I've already got close to an 80% win rate with my shit-ass Vega/Xiaoyu team. Thinking about just going straight Ryu/Rufus and slapping on autoblock gems just to see how much more I win.

Re-posting this in all the fighting game threads:

This seems like a good time to post that I just set up what I hope to be a FGC catch-all channel for GAF on IRC:

#gafilluminati (props to Stabby McSter for the name!)

on Dorksnet servers (irc.wiicafe.com, irc.gamecubecafe.com, irc.browsingtheinternet.com))

Mibbit link for those that don't have a chat program:
http://mibbit.com/?channel=#gafilluminati&server=irc.browsingtheinternet.com

I recommend downloading XChat or mIRC though.

It's pretty quiet right now, but it was only literally just made 20 minutes ago. Probably best used during streams, but come and talk about whatever the hell you guys want.

Fraud illuminati

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
FG GAF IRC has been around forever. The guys use it daily. And scramble mode is so damn fun in a drunk kind of way.

I know, I've thought the same thing! As soon as he starts charging that Hadoken, he's controlling the lower half of the screen, and you don't know if he's using the L, M, or H versions. And then when he charges it up, it eats other projectiles, etc. But if you're closing in, he can just decide to dash one way or another, or perhaps let it go early and then SHORYUKEN. You're right, he has a lot of options.

Ryu is one of the best characters in the game and he's just better than 60 percent of the characters in the game, but he does have weaknesses. Characters can step through, dive kick, or teleport around the fireball charge setup.

Ryu's biggest weakness is probably the lack of a great move to tag a partner in. As long as you can avoid random shoryukens, you can bait the tag in and do a lot of damage on the partner or kill ryu outright before he can switch out.

smurfx

get some go again
so what is your take on the sales of sfxtekken? it basically bombed. i believe its under 300k spread out between the ps3 and 360. this game won't have a long healthy life if it doesn't somehow sell more. the messy launch hurt it bad and all the timeouts on streams is killing the hype. wonder what capcoms next move is.

El Sloth

Banned
FG GAF IRC has been around forever. The guys use it daily. And scramble mode is so damn fun in a drunk kind of way.
The gafranbats channel is cool and all, but it's become it's own thing now and is a bit too insular for new folk. It's also sort of SF focused. It's not like both channels can't coexist.

sleepykyo

so what is your take on the sales of sfxtekken? it basically bombed. i believe its under 300k spread out between the ps3 and 360. this game won't have a long healthy life if it doesn't somehow sell more. the messy launch hurt it bad and all the timeouts on streams is killing the hype. wonder what capcoms next move is.

Did they even advertise the game outside of cross assault? Seems like they knew or suspected the game would bomb. I suspect SFxT won't be getting anything beyond the super/ultimate 12.

It'll be interesting to see what Capcom's next game is? Are they desperate enough after SFxT to go for SFxMK or do they figure they can milk the UMvC3 crowd one more time and do a cheap Darkstalkers to close out this generation of consoles?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

-UMVC3/too many SF4 revisions in general probably didn't help.

-Just shit marketing in general. Even the hardcore fighting game people were never really amped for the game.

AAK

Yo, thanks for the Nina practice Sayah!.... And sorry for causing all those losses during our pair play matches :(

Sayah

Yo, thanks for the Nina practice Sayah!.... And sorry for causing all those losses during our pair play matches :(

No problem. :D
And nah, I was the one activating pandora midmatch, lol. We need to keep doing pair play, though. I have more fun that way.
Just some general tips for Nina for anyone trying to use her. If you do her flash kicks and they are blocked, you can instead follow up with a grab. Rather than doing consecutive flash kicks, just do one and follow up with a grab.

Also, her mixups usually come from her b,d/b,b + fierce punch which hits any standing opponent on contact regardless of whether they are guarding or not. And the Ivory cutter is great for people who love to duck guard. Just try to mix up these two moves to create confusion.

Sayah

-UMVC3/too many SF4 revisions in general probably didn't help.

-Just shit marketing in general. Even the hardcore fighting game people were never really amped for the game.

A lot of people were genuinely hyped for SFXTK. A lot of the hype died down after they announced gems. Then with the whole DLC characters and the online sound glitches, people just avoided buying it, I guess. Despite the online problems the game has, though, there is no doubt that it's brimming with content regardless. There is enough to satisfy anyone whether playing SP or MP.

I (along with several others, I'm sure) only bought this because it has the Tekken name and characters associated with it. But I've grown to like the game. Pair play is too much fun when online isn't sucking so badly.

The gafranbats channel is cool and all, but it's become it's own thing now and is a bit too insular for new folk. It's also sort of SF focused. It's not like both channels can't coexist.

I'm pretty sure it's Vampire Saviour, Threi's optimism and "Saty wants to get these kids off his lawn" focused.

hertog

Online works like a charm now! Great patch!

No more sound issues, a lot less rollback. Played 30 games last night and won 24 of them :)
The sound being correct really helps me time my moves better.

Still haven't decided my second character though.

My teams are Guile/Rolento, Guile/Cammy or Guile/King

King: awesome character, but outside his high damage potential he's a sitting duck that can't get in on zoners and can't escape any pressure. But still Flashkick into knee's feels great. But get him the hell out after that.

Rolento: Again awesome character design, hitting people with that baton is satisfying.
Great mobility, easy combo's and tag-cancels make his rekka's safe. My main problem with him is sometimes dropping a combo between lp--> rekka's or cr. mk --> rekka's, so people can mash a shoryuken or command grab in between.
And his options are really limited on a tag-in. Does anybody have any tips on what to do after a launcher? Now I'll just hit them with mk - hk

Cammy: Very good character, but low on health. Great pressure and cross-ups and once again easy combo's
But she and guile combined only got 1850 hp and that turned out to be a problem with some time-out losses or little mistakes.

Myomoto

King: awesome character, but outside his high damage potential he's a sitting duck that can't get in on zoners and can't escape any pressure. But still Flashkick into knee's feels great. But get him the hell out after that.

Get used to using King's alpha counter, it seems like his only real option when under pressure, and it gives you time to do a raw tag afterwards.

With this game not doing so great sales wise, could this be the start for another downward spiral for fighting games? :( I am sure Capcom expected more. Are we reaching oversaturation again or is Capcom to blame for the DLC uproar?

Myomoto

With this game not doing so great sales wise, could this be the start for another downward spiral for fighting games? :( I am sure Capcom expected more. Are we reaching oversaturation again or is Capcom to blame for the DLC uproar?

I think it's a little bit of both. I can easily see that the majority of casual fighting game fans would've been content with just buying SF4/SSF4/MvC, but the launch of SFxT was such a gigantic failure, and Capcom is continuing to mismanage the game with their bizarre marketing bullshit. Seriously, they're choosing to keep colours and gems that are ON the disc locked, so that they can release 100kB unlock codes for FREE sometime in the future. WHY?!

And let's not forget the no local co-op play on the 360 version, that's is just embarrassing.

I think it's a bit of that and a bit of SFxT not being different enough from SF4, at least on the outside. I think Capcom fighting games will be fine though, just no more big budget new fighter this gen. Just work on SF5 for next gen and I'm confident it will sell fine. Much better than SFxT anyways.

Tizoc

I blame Capcom and the DLC uproar.

hertog

IT's really a shame too. It's such a fun game. I can use the more tactical gameplay from Street fighter and have the combo madness from MvC

alstein

I think it's a downward spiral for Capcom, KOF did well, Skullgirls I think will do well.

Capcom has lost the confidence of much of the community, though it's not too late for them- they could likely earn it back- the FGC is forgiving.

BTW where you guys getting the 300k sales figure?

Even if that figure is true, nothing will change unless the suits blame themselves instead of using Ono as a convenient scapegoat, which is what it sounds like they're trying to do.

Myomoto

I found this video in the thread SUPARSTARX posted, pretty interesting analysis of the meta game by Ultra David and James Chen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDat5R7PmM

tl;dw: ABC-series to launcher are worthless, cancel into the manual launcher from a normal instead. Start using alpha counter to switch cancel (more damage than a super in some cases). Stop wasting meter on switch cancel in combos, use the manual launcher instead (unless you're juggling). Knockdowns are bad for pressure (the wakeup roll gives the defending player too many options).

zlatko

Banned
I don't see how you can capitalize on big damage and keep them on their feet with the last statement. Which characters can do like 300+, not knock you down, and keep putting you in a guessing game?

Myomoto

I don't see how you can capitalize on big damage and keep them on their feet with the last statement. Which characters can do like 300+, not knock you down, and keep putting you in a guessing game?

They show some examples of using the switch cancel at the end of a combo that leaves the opponent standing to create a mixup that leads into a big combo with your second character (specifically with Law+Julia).

zlatko

Banned
They show some examples of using the switch cancel at the end of a combo that leaves the opponent standing to create a mixup that leads into a big combo with your second character (specifically with Law+Julia).

Interesting. I'll have to take a peek at it another time since I'm at work.

GrayFoxPL

I don't know about that. Air Counter kills every jump in, so funny when you make opponent terrified to jump. Ground counter works even against shoryuken. Ex giant swing and ex shining wizard is invincible on startup. Jaguar step is so invincible that you just dance over every fireball - zoners are no problem. The ram is godly move when timed right I even countered Ken's shoryu with it. He has options. I don't feel like a sitting duck.

I dropped Kazuya, Jin, Hwoarang etc. in favor of King and Yoshimitsu. Yoshi is so poor, but lol people are mindfucked when they play against him. Has best anti air super and best charging move at least.

you think the rest of the world is gonna save this game? not a chance.

I'm just clarifying that the quoted numbers were not total sales, as the original poster seemed to think (judging by their wording).

From what I've seen around the web, it seems to be around half a million or so, but those are unofficial until Capcom confirms them, so...

We'll see how Capcom proceeds going forward with the PC and Vita releases, and their ongoing DLC decisions.

LakeEarth

Get used to using King's alpha counter, it seems like his only real option when under pressure, and it gives you time to do a raw tag afterwards.

Yes you get a free tag, but unless you alpha countered them in the corner, you can't tag cancel into a combo cause he sends them flying so far away. I guess it's both a good and bad thing.

Anyone else have a problem with King's qcb+P move? I swear that shit comes out accidentally ALL THE TIME! And I play Kazuya who also has a qcb+P move, and it never happens with him.

I'm just clarifying that the quoted numbers were not total sales, as the original poster seemed to think (judging by their wording).

From what I've seen around the web, it seems to be around half a million or so, but those are unofficial until Capcom confirms them, so...

There's no numbers yet, they're just going by the fact that the no.2 game on the NPD chart is at 582k and Mario Party 9 sitting one rank below SFxT at 230k. An estimate of it being in the 300k range is not implausible.

hertog

I don't know about that. Air Counter kills every jump in, so funny when you make opponent terrified to jump. Ground counter works even against shoryuken. Ex giant swing and ex shining wizard is invincible on startup. Jaguar step is so invincible that you just dance over every fireball - zoners are no problem. The ram is godly move when timed right I even countered Ken's shoryu with it. He has options. I don't feel like a sitting duck.

I dropped Kazuya, Jin, Hwoarang etc. in favor of King and Yoshimitsu. Yoshi is so poor, but lol people are mindfucked when they play against him. Has best anti air super and best charging move at least.

Well I got a lot of problems with his air counter.
If you miss it or someone uses an empty jump, you're really in trouble. And I hate the forward motion. Due to all the lenient inputs, a lot of times King does a giant swing or even a RASC (that move comes out when you do a 270 degree motion with King, wtf?!) if you use the counter while you were blocking.

And I still don't get the timing on his standing counter :( such a small window.
Same with his non-ex convict kick. I miss the ddt a lot of times.
I may just suck, but it's frustrating when you're facing a braindead Ryu or Hugo player who mashes everything out against King.

Myomoto

Anyone else have a problem with King's qcb+P move? I swear that shit comes out accidentally ALL THE TIME! And I play Kazuya who also has a qcb+P move, and it never happens with him.

Yeah, that thing definitely seems a little too happy to come out. Hopefully the 'expert inputs' gem will change that?

GrayFoxPL

Well I got a lot of problems with his air counter.
If you miss it or someone uses an empty jump, you're really in trouble. And I hate the forward motion. Due to all the lenient inputs, a lot of times King does a giant swing or even a RASC (that move comes out when you do a 270 degree motion with King, wtf?!) if you use the counter while you were blocking.

And I still don't get the timing on his standing counter :( such a small window.
Same with his non-ex convict kick. I miss the ddt a lot of times.
I may just suck, but it's frustrating when you're facing a braindead Ryu or Hugo player who mashes everything out against King.

Never happened to me when countering. Funny when you counter shoryken with an air counter when you backdash and shoryuken hitbox is really high. Use the ram or jaguar step against jump in if you don't like the counter.

Ryu is free but I'm having trouble with Hugo, fucking body splash it's too good. Still nothing more satisfying then giant swing on Hugo.

hertog

Wow, rufus is insane.

Tried him a little, and his combo's are so easy and do so much damage.
And his super is an awesome anti-air. if you got 2 bars with Rufus he's like an even more unfair version of Zangief.

NeoUltima

...jump back fireball, autoblock + DP mashing.

WHY WOULD YOU PLAY LIKE THAT?
If someone new to the game fine, but the dude that did the above was a B ranker. I mean what the fuck. /rage

AAK

Wow, rufus is insane.

Tried him a little, and his combo's are so easy and do so much damage.
And his super is an awesome anti-air. if you got 2 bars with Rufus he's like an even more unfair version of Zangief.

Tell me about it... got double perfected by one earlier today. Of coarse his partner being Hugo played a high role in that. :(

Top Bottom