• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

SUPARSTARX

The damage is fine in this game. Needs to be a little higher like another 5~8% baseline IMO if people aren't going to use gems. Or perhaps a 10% to 15% cut on grey health.

The timer's basically the same here as SF4 but you have double the health bars. The damage needs to get as high as it can.

Tizoc

^Why do Nina's breasts seem odd in your avatar?

IMO, tagging in a character who has grey health should lose that grey health.

SUPARSTARX

They already lose health when you tag in.

Maybe because I cropped the picture well so Nina looks more gratuitous. Lol

I mainly just want grey health to be more minimized. I think damage is good for a lot of characters. It makes cross art pretty important along with meter. nobody can really lock down someone 100% unless they are out played because there always possibly a health trade off at best or just complete recovery.

There's a lot of common scenarios where this is heavily affected and it is very practical with every single match.

If you've gotten that good opening in the first twenty seconds of the match and dropped 40% of the opponent yet somehow your character can't or you can't maintain wake up pressure and they tag out, the grey health counts a lot...

Opponent raw tags, character A recovers 20%, you've effectively only done 10% damage to him (both characters counted) in the first twenty seconds of the round.
Opponent raw tags, character A recovers 20%, you punish character B for 40% damage, you've effectively done 30% damage to him (both characters counted) in the first twenty seconds of the round.
A lot of SF4 matches do end up with this sort of pacing where two players just space each other out and chip down or do some low or quick pokes and bnb's for 20-30% in the first twenty seconds.

Percentages will skew heavily if recoverable health is a lot lower. This is offset by I believe specials and Supers and then ultimately Cross Art eliminates it. Chain combos and Cross Rush net the most recoverable health, so doing links into manual launchers (HP+HK) minimize this the most for BnBs. I feel this is a bigger point to drive than prolonging the timer, which may help some close games but if you're already losing mostly to 40% health leads, it's not gonna be much help if you cannot start offense on your own.

I always get suckered into fighting games, thinking this time it will be different. I will train, and get better to at least be competitive online.

So I bought this game, and hopped online. I was juggled into perfection twice. Now I remember why I swore off fighting games. I suck, I should stick to other games. I don't know why I thought this time would be different. :( And for some stupid reason I have SS4 Arcade coming to my door today.

WHY?

zlatko

Banned
I always get suckered into fighting games, thinking this time it will be different. I will train, and get better to at least be competitive online.

So I bought this game, and hopped online. I was juggled into perfection twice. Now I remember why I swore off fighting games. I suck, I should stick to other games. I don't know why I thought this time would be different. :( And for some stupid reason I have SS4 Arcade coming to my door today.

WHY?

Practice. Months of practice. Seriously.

I lost hundreds of matches in a ROW in SF4 before I started to make solid improvements.

Months
of
practice.

Edit: Here's what you need to know, and why you are losing-

You lack character knowledge. i.e what moves they are doing, how to block them, if you can punish them
You need better knowledge of what gems fit your characters.
You need knowledge of optimal combos for your characters.
You need knowledge of your best pokes, anti airs, air to airs, etc.
You need to learn the mechanics of when to tag, etc.

You're going to lose a shit ton when you don't know these things and are starting out fresh, and yes it will take a long ass while to gain all that knowledge. It's like learning an entirely new language.

WHY?

don't get discouraged, this happens to me as well, I love fighting games a lot, I like this game a lot, I can do awesome combos on practice mode, tagg-ins cross ups you name it, yet the minute I play online nothing of what I do in practice comes out and I get obliterated most of the time, sadly I don't have much time to practice due to work and family, but I sill love the game and I am sure that with time and practice everyone can get better.
Keep going at it!

Practice. Months of practice. Seriously.

I lost hundreds of matches in a ROW in SF4 before I started to make solid improvements.

Months
of
practice.

Edit: Here's what you need to know, and why you are losing-

You lack character knowledge. i.e what moves they are doing, how to block them, if you can punish them
You need better knowledge of what gems fit your characters.
You need knowledge of optimal combos for your characters.
You need knowledge of your best pokes, anti airs, air to airs, etc.
You need to learn the mechanics of when to tag, etc.

You're going to lose a shit ton when you don't know these things and are starting out fresh, and yes it will take a long ass while to gain all that knowledge. It's like learning an entirely new language.

don't get discouraged, this happens to me as well, I love fighting games a lot, I like this game a lot, I can do awesome combos on practice mode, tagg-ins cross ups you name it, yet the minute I play online nothing of what I do in practice comes out and I get obliterated most of the time, sadly I don't have much time to practice due to work and family, but I sill love the game and I am sure that with time and practice everyone can get better.
Keep going at it!

Thank you guys. I appreciate it. The encouragement is nice. I won't quit. I know everything you said is the truth. What Path should I follow to? What game mode?

Can you lay out a plan for me to get better?
1) Pick Two fighters I like
2) ?
3?
4)?

Thanks.

One more thing..........in all seriousness, is Street Fighter 4 Arcade the batter game? I ask because I want to know which one I should devote my time to.

SUPARSTARX

Thank you guys. I appreciate it. The encouragement is nice. I won't quit. I know everything you said is the truth. What Path should I follow to? What game mode?

2) ?
3?
4)?

Thanks.

One more thing..........in all seriousness, is Street Fighter 4 Arcade the batter game? I ask because I want to know which one I should devote my time to.

Apples and oranges IMO.

Myomoto

SF4 seems like an 'easier' game to pick up, in my opinion. The Tekken dudes in SFxT have some very 'noob killer' hit strings that switch from hitting mid to low, which make them difficult to block if you're not familiar with the character.

And seriously, don't get discouraged. When I picked up SF4 for the first time it took me over an hour just to figure out how the hell to cancel into a special move from a normal, and I literally had to consult the internet just to figure out how the shoryuken motion was even supposed to be performed. I'm still not much better than above average, but I'm rocking a 60% win rate in SFxT right now.

Going from rock bottom in SF4 and actually starting to win the majority of my fights online was one the most rewarding feelings I've ever had from my gaming hobby (if you've ever struggled with any kind of math problem, only to have an epiphany and suddenly finding it completely elementary, it's that kind of feeling).

zlatko

Banned

2) ?
3?
4)?

Thanks.

It's definitely apples to oranges. Both have their issues, and both have great things about them. You've already invested the $ into SFxT, so stick with that for now. I feel like one of the shittier things you can do is pick up more than one fighter at once in order to learn fighting games.

So:

1) Pick two fighters you like.
2) Go into their trial missions, see how far you can get.
3) Go into training mode often and a lot to practice simple things like just quarter circle, srk, half circle, etc motions with the character/s you want to play. 10 on one side of the screen, 10 on the other. If you fuck up even once, then start over again from 0. You gotta build up that muscle memory.
4) Learn how to block, then learn how to do combos. Often people just fixate on learning how to deal the most damage, yet they can never do any of their learned combos simplyl because they never get the chance due to shitty blocking.

---Learning to block is a matter of fighting against that character, and a matter of learning what to block against all characters. Perfect example is a cross up. Person jumps over you and hits you on the back side while in the air, which means you have to block the opposite direction as it happens. See it a few times, you get it down, and no longer will cross ups be the thing where people get free damage on you.----

5) Possibly the most important thing is to find a practice partner, and to set a goal for yourself. Without goals you lose sight really quick, and without a practice partner you don't put what you practice into motion, and plus you have less fun I think just getting bodied by randoms on Ranked.

---Perfect example of a goal is what I did when I wanted to learn my first RTS, Starcraft 2. My goal was to reach Gold League by June, and I set the goal around December. I reached that through more games, refining builds, etc. With fighters I made a similar goal through my practice partner. In SF4 the win ratio was like 90% him, 10% me. So I told myself I wanted in 3 months time to bring it more like 60% him and 40% me, and my last goal I reached was making it 50%-50%. Now with SFxT, my goal was/is to make it 60% me, 40% him, but unfortunately he has abandoned the game due to time out issues, and I can't quite blame him----

Oh and play around with everyone in the cast even if its just doing some of their trials. It gives you some familiarity with the character, and who knows, might find you someone that suits you better than just what two look awesome to you out of the gate. :)

cackhyena

Oh and play around with everyone in the cast even if its just doing some of their trials.

This shouldn't be dismissed. Learn characters you'll never play, because after a time, you aren't playing against them, you are playing against opponent tendencies. Learn what you don't know can hurt you, then learn to read the player using those moves.

zlatko

Banned
The advice is much appreciated.

No problem. You just have to accept that you are less than shit currently, and it requires a LOT of work on your end. There is some fun along the way, but the brutal truth, and the turn off to most, is that it is indeed WORK to get better before you can really enjoy it.

However, you can always just have fun with a fighter if you find an equal skill opponent. So if you and a buddy are just mashers, then you can still reep hours of fun out of a fighting game together.

Months from now you'll look back and wonder how the fuck you even got to where you are, and impress yourself when you're the one double perfecting someone else.

hertog

IMO SF4 is the more basic game, you can learn what a fighting game is all about. Combo's are a lot harder in that game. But the slower pace and more diverse fighting community allows you to make more mistakes. You can find a lot more tips and guides for it online.

Personally I love SFxT. The game feels tailor made for me, though normally I prefer charge characters.
But it feels like a perfect mix of the easy combo's from Marvel and the more tactical approach of SF4.

IMO SF4 is the more basic game, you can learn what a fighting game is all about. Combo's are a lot harder in that game. But the slower pace and more diverse fighting community allows you to make more mistakes. You can find a lot more tips and guides for it online.

Personally I love SFxT. The game feels tailor made for me, though normally I prefer charge characters.
But it feels like a perfect mix of the easy combo's from Marvel and the more tactical approach of SF4.

Yep, SF4 is the better game in terms of learning the fundamentals of fighting games.

If you learn SF4 well, you can transfer to other games better than if you learn SFxT well and try to transfer.

Myomoto

The only problem I could see with SF4 is that it's a very old game at this point, so most of the people who play it are probably pretty dedicated to that game, so expect to run into quite a few beasts online.

Another point though, make sure you practice your anti-airs well, a lot of people don't respect anti-airs online, and if you can't properly punish people for jumping at you, you'll come under a lot of pressure very quickly.

cackhyena

The only problem I could see with SF4 is that it's a very old game at this point, so most of the people who play it are probably pretty dedicated to that game, so expect to run into quite a few beasts online.

I've been playing it the last few days and I'd say the amount of beasts v newcomers is relatively the same as SFxT atm. Maybe that has to do with what time I'm on or something.

I still play SF4 quite a bit online, it's still my main game and I can attest to what cack says. There are still quite a lot of low level players. You'll run into decent/good players quite a bit, but it's not as often as you may think.

If you learn SF4 well, you can transfer to other games better than if you learn SFxT well and try to transfer.

Playing SFxT only for a couple weeks really wrecked my execution in SF4 for a short while. I used Ryu and Kazuya, I got way too use to dem easy links that I kept missing my BnB's with Evil Ryu(mainly the jab > strong link) when I went back to SF4.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Anyone around 1000 bp want to be my friend on xbl? I've ranked up to C 3 times now but it throws me up against people with 4000 bp ("same" rank lol) and I just get bodied back down to D+, then I fight idiots all the way back up to C, rinse and repeat. Or maybe someone who is better can give me some tips when I fight.

Tag: Name Generated

LakeEarth

I'm dropping King. I'm just sick of his sponaneously occuring qcb+P elbow move, and his c.short which has half the range of what it looks like.

zlatko

Banned
I'm dropping King. I'm just sick of his sponaneously occuring qcb+P elbow move, and his c.short which has half the range of what it looks like.

Too much about him sucks, that's just the tip of the iceberg, but fuck me if he doesn't look bad ass in that Alex alt.

Get yourself a meter machine and have your Kazuya as the back up. That way you can start to just plink EWGF with him, and if you fuck up you'll get an ex WGF so no biggy. :p

*Pick Rufus if you never want to lose again*

That way you can start to just plink EWGF with him, and if you fuck up you'll get an ex WGF so no biggy. :p

You can plink with the lower kick buttons, but it will feel awkward as hell. I tried doing it for different moves in SF4, just couldn't get use to it. But if you can you can plink EWGF without wasting meter.

shaowebb

I'm curious why no one ever brings up the option of just running a tourney with the clock turned to infinite to get rid of timeouts in SFxT. Does anyone have a reason? Is it just taboo to get rid of a way to win like this?

Just curious.

sleepykyo

I'm curious why no one ever brings up the option of just running a tourney with the clock turned to infinite to get rid of timeouts in SFxT. Does anyone have a reason? Is it just taboo to get rid of a way to win like this?

Just curious.

My guess is the fear that two turtles will drag out every match.

It's taboo to play a fighting game in any way other than default options, that shit's for casual noncompetitive children's party games like Smash!

except for banning gems, that's okay

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ultradavid has been making the case that time management is key in the game and lol, even says he's starting to like that aspect.

Based on my own matches so far, I'm really starting to think that nothing more than stopping the clock for cinematic sequences would solve the timeout problems. Would be such an easy tweak to make in the next patch.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Just curious.
Removing the timer can also reverse life lead incentives. The person at disadvantage has no reason to attack the other guy and can just sit around forever waiting for a good time to stage a comeback, while the person with the life lead can't win with just that and needs to continue playing offense and even take risks that would otherwise be entirely unnecessary.

Or they just both wait it out. Remember, in a tournament situation shit is on the line.

Removing the timer can also reverse life lead incentives. The person at disadvantage has no reason to attack the other guy and can just sit around forever waiting for a good time to stage a comeback, while the person with the life lead can't win with just that and needs to continue playing offense and even take risks that would otherwise be entirely unnecessary.

Or they just both wait it out. Remember, in a tournament situation shit is on the line.

30 minute Justin Wong/Dieminion stalemate

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Asuka's trials last night and messed about with her in training mode. Such fun! Never been a Tekken guy, but seriously considering her as my first main for SFxT!

I love those chains that you can mix and match to your liking/depending on the situation. She's got a counter, command grabs, and jumping fierce feels like wicked cross-up material. I'm probably still very much naive, but it's been a fun learning process!

I also like Bob but have no idea how to use him effectively. Seen some pretty brutal combos out there, but they seem to require levels of execution that I cannot (yet) attain with my humble Dualshock 3.

As for repping the Capcrew, I fancy Rolento (great for keeping pressure and building meter) and Poison (great eyecandy), but they seem pretty mainstream.

I'm brand new to this game but not brand new to fighters. Gouken has been my SFIV main since day one... does anyone have any character suggestions before I completely lose the plot and jump online?

Just curious.

Are you out of your mind?!?!?! Clock turned to infinite would encourage players to drag their matches as long as possible, they don't even have to go in when they are trailing their opponent in health. It's an awful idea not just for SFxT but for any fighting game.

Nose Master

Are you out of your mind?!?!?! Clock turned to infinite would encourage players to drag their matches as long as possible, they don't even have to go in when they are trailing their opponent in health. It's an awful idea not just for SFxT but for any fighting game.

I can see it being a problem for tournaments, but I always have infinite time on.

Asuka is super fun.

She seems kinda lacking in some regards, but characters like those inspire the most creativity and attachment.

Poison/Asuka team is so enjoyable, I haven't really played as anyone else in ranked for weeks.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I certainly hope I enjoy Asuka even after I start getting my rump handed to me online!

As a SF/Capcom fanboy, I have a newfound appreciation for a lot of the Tekken cast and their design (particularly how they translate into this 2D plane), but I've just never naturally taken to the series.

There's still plenty of experimentation to be done. For example, I'm interested in Heihachi purely because he's an old guy with counters (like Gouken) - but I'm wide open to suggestions if anyone thinks that's a terrible approach.

Cheers!

Darvan

Not sure if your on PSN or XBL but I'll be willing to practice with you. I'm sort of in the same boat trying to get a trail done that requires links that I can't seem to get for the life of me.

WHY?

Well, I certainly hope I enjoy Asuka even after I start getting my rump handed to me online!

As a SF/Capcom fanboy, I have a newfound appreciation for a lot of the Tekken cast and their design (particularly how they translate into this 2D plane), but I've just never naturally taken to the series.

There's still plenty of experimentation to be done. For example, I'm interested in Heihachi purely because he's an old guy with counters (like Gouken) - but I'm wide open to suggestions if anyone thinks that's a terrible approach.

Cheers!

Well, you get at maximum 200 damage off a counter meterless, so don't count on it being one of your main strategies.

The only usefulness of that counter is to land a surprise counter when your opponent is at 40% and combo into a team super to win the game. Other than that, he is a character with good high/low mixups and decent meterless damage output.

Darvan

I think that's a great match up in my limited experience, also it would seem to be able to win online you should master with Asuka/Heihachi a pattern to defeat Hugo since everyone and their mother is using him

Cheers!

Darvan

Now I understand that Gem's take a bit to setup but other than that there was no other reason to have them disable. What Haunts is talking about here sounds like a good idea a set of gems setup so there is no time wasted. The guys complaining about having Gem's turned on sound like they don't want to learn or deal with something new. Also I fully hope when Capcom patches the guest characters that they will no longer be banned at tournaments

Playing the game the way it was designed! Not being prude and afraid of a little sugar and spice.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Now I understand that Gem's take a bit to setup but other than that there was no other reason to have them disable. What Haunts is talking about here sounds like a good idea a set of gems setup so there is no time wasted. The guys complaining about having Gem's turned on sound like they don't want to learn or deal with something new. Also I fully hope when Capcom patches the guest characters that they will no longer be banned at tournaments

I'd always felt that people should have tried playing with the default gem sets that come configured with the game. The default sets are 2 of 3 gems that seem basically logical for the character - power gems for strikers, defense gems for characters expected to take punishment, etc.

After people get used to the gems and begin to experiment, the current tournament selection system could be used for people to select their most preferred set because they'd already know the number combination for it. Essentially make this the rule: tournament gem selection is NOT for experimenting, you're asked to sit down and only input the number of the gem set you have already decided on using.

That said, it was a big mistake with the pick-by-number system to not include an info pane on the screen that does remind the players what each gem's activation condition and duration is. That seems like something that could be patched in, in another update.

Top Bottom