• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

IronLich

So as a Nina player, I'm very pleased. LK Geyser Cannon sounds demonic, basically being turned into a great anti-air. Making the hurtboxes bigger on her normals was an obvious change, if anything. But cr.HP being 5 frame startup now just makes that all the more dangerous, as well.

I guess with Julia's health nerf, the only girl left above 950 health is Alisa... for now.

EDIT: I'm very surprised s.MP seems to go untouched in frames. +3 on block, Capcom.

xCobalt

I can only hope Capcom wasn't too harsh on Heihachi. I'm expecting them to add frames to most of heihachi's moves but possibly increasing his walk speed.

Shouta

Aha, I knew King was getting buffed nicely! I may have to play him some more now because he's getting buffs like I expected him too. =O

With the general meter generation going down and boost combos getting nerfed, it looks like they want folks to shy away from really tag combos and focus on singular combos to deal damage.

SUPARSTARX

Aha, I knew King was getting buffed nicely! I may have to play him some more now because he's getting buffs like I expected him too. =O

With the general meter generation going down and boost combos getting nerfed, it looks like they want folks to shy away from really tag combos and focus on singular combos to deal damage.

Yeah, they want legit hit confirms, not chain fishing. I'm glad they are nerfing those but it feels like for some characters it's necessary. Now people have to find a different way to approach pressure on some of those characters and they definitely need good light/mediums, unique strings, or good range to whiff punish into it.

Xevren

Wonder what will happen with Lili, I used to run Abel/Lili a lot and Abel already got some nice buffs, so hopefully nothing too bad happens to her.

hertog

Ok so they're not nerfing everyone
WHY DID THEY NERF BLANKA!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for the Kuma/Jack changes, but there's chance King is back in my game. They actually made him a grappler, good for you King.

And so many anti-air options, so awesome.

And megaman looks more viable :D, if only he had 200 more health.

stn

No lie, I haven't been LESS hyped for something in a while. I have this fear that all these nerfs will make characters resort to universal ways of creating openings. Meaning much more jumping. All matches will look the same?

I don't know, I don't like it one bit. I also dislike the zoning nerf. Rush-down was already very strong. Zoning is what makes Street Fighter, well...STREET FIGHTER!!! There were some characters that were free to fireballs but its REALLY not that bad. Zangief is your typical slow grappler and even he could get in!!!

People were whining for nothing, and now Capcom has no idea what its doing. The only change I like is less fishing for boosts. Should make characters resort to their own combos, which I like.

But other then that...

Horseress

No lie, I haven't been LESS hyped for something in a while. I have this fear that all these nerfs will make characters resort to universal ways of creating openings. Meaning much more jumping. All matches will look the same?

I don't know, I don't like it one bit. I also dislike the zoning nerf. Rush-down was already very strong. Zoning is what makes Street Fighter, well...STREET FIGHTER!!! There were some characters that were free to fireballs but its REALLY not that bad. Zangief is your typical slow grappler and even he could get in!!!

People were whining for nothing, and now Capcom has no idea what its doing. The only change I like is less fishing for boosts. Should make characters resort to their own combos, which I like.

But other then that...

That's the biggest problem with this game, this IS Street Fighter, but it's NOT supposed to be played as Street Fighter (like 95% of the players are doing).
I 100% agree with the zoning nerfs, the more zoning the more timeouts we'll have, so rushdown needs to be great and zoning needs to be weaker.
Remember, it's Street Fighter, but it's x TEKKEN, so, if you wanna make a game Tekken-like, you need to make rushdown WAY better than zoning, especially when you have 2 health bars.

That's the biggest problem with this game, this IS Street Fighter, but it's NOT supposed to be played as Street Fighter (like 95% of the players are doing).
I 100% agree with the zoning nerfs, the more zoning the more timeouts we'll have, so rushdown needs to be great and zoning needs to be weaker.
Remember, it's Street Fighter, but it's x TEKKEN, so, if you wanna make a game Tekken-like, you need to make rushdown WAY better than zoning, especially when you have 2 health bars.

Zoning =/= turtling, throwing fireballs is always a risk. You can jump over a fireball and punish it for far more damage than what one unblocked fireball does. Nerfing zoning isn't going to do much other than reduce one dimension of this game and make it more shallow.

stn

Zoning =/= turtling, throwing fireballs is always a risk. You can jump over a fireball and punish it for far more damage than what one unblocked fireball does. Nerfing zoning isn't going to do much other than reduce one dimension of this game and make it more shallow.
Exactly! Zoning in this game is soooooo much more forgiving than it used to be. Consider:

-At some distances you can avoid chip by easily neutral-jumping.
-There are many spots where you can jump forward and fall out of AA range.
-ONE missed fireball can result in an ABC = death combo.
-A fireball that hits scores minimal damage.
-Rolls allow you to come closer after knockdown.

Seriously, people were complaining too much. Anyone who couldn't get through fireballs here must have hated the hell out of ST, Alpha 2, HDR, and so forth. People who actually know their basics will find fireballs easy to avoid.

Horseress said:
See, this is where we disagree. Tekken is supposed to integrate into the Street Fighter world, not the other way around. Why do you think characters like Raven and Jin were given fireballs for the first time...ever? The game you speak of will exist once Tekken x Street Fighter releases.

In the long-run, these changes will just encourage even more jumping. Players will realize long-range tools are inferior and will resort to mindless jumping for getting in. I personally think every character will have the same play-style, no variety. Oh well, will try the patch once before I drop the game entirely.

SUPARSTARX

Ok so they're not nerfing everyone
WHY DID THEY NERF BLANKA!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for the Kuma/Jack changes, but there's chance King is back in my game. They actually made him a grappler, good for you King.

And so many anti-air options, so awesome.

And megaman looks more viable :D, if only he had 200 more health.

But other then that...

Changes all indicate to me they want this to play a bit more like Street Fighter for sure. And they defintely want more offense. People want it, they're going to get more offense to open people.

Nerfing chains = no more safe blockstring out of punish range, people will frame trap way more. Thus making more gambling of low crush tags. And with throw start up buff that will increase tossing people around. This is how the game should've played in the first place. Vanilla Ryu was a good example of how most characters should function. People didn't fish for LM, LM, LM chains that much, but a lot of them were all just trapping with c.MP c.MP c.MK xx Joudan into stuff.

The rise of some designs like Cody in here is what's driving a lot of the game to be extremely bland on offense because of how sickeningly safe it is. c.LK~MK all day. Kazuya c.LK~c.MK all day. Julia c.LK~c.MK all day. All examples. Anyway, things might seem "bad" from an individual standpoint but they are supposed to have more announcement changes for the system as well. I can't imagine what they will do but if I could have a hand at making some changes I would do the following:
  • Alpha counters cause juggle state. Makes no sense having to burn 2 meter to get out / continue combos for a game like this which is kind of starving for some more damage.
  • Tech rolls happen instantly when you land and hold forward; This creates option select opportunities and people can continue pressure. You either quick rise, stay down, or quick roll. The scenario is if people don't quick roll or recovery you're still just on top of them regardless anyway. Tech roll distance is good and I take it if there's something to option select against, back dash is always an option. So it's still possible to still go with how people pressure now.
  • Make pandora useful in some form of way.. like NOT pushing your character 1/3 screen behind alone would just make just about everything an increasingly awesome punish since it's 0 frame startup.

I am afraid to throw fireballs. Fireballs FEEL slower on recovery and I get jumped at a lot. I only successfully zone and pump plastma from like 4/5 screen away lol
SFxT Vita headcount? Anyone taking the plunge?
My copy is out for delivery. Newegg $29.99 deal. I will happily take pix with my Poison waifu.

i'm not seeing how they made him a grappler. they give him better anti-airs, a better low, and better damage overall. not sure how that makes him more of a grappler. his tag-in damage is actually lower now due to the knee lift nerf. curiously, they actually improved his meter gain on whiff.

i used to use him as a tag-in for the knee lift damage and followup oki situation, but it seems like they want people to play him on point instead. what's worse is that i used to use poison to fish for boost combos to get king in, and they nerfed that to hell as well. so my poison/king team at this point is looking pretty ass.

speaking of grapplers, i agree with combo that marduk is the best grappler in the game. i've been wanting to switch to him for a long time now, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. i'm glad he didn't get many nerfs. zangief is a really good character, but people play "boost combo" zangief more than "grappler" zangief. i can see people dropping him after this patch rolls out.

Shouta

I hope you're not suggesting Julia isn't top-tier because she's been pretty consistent in tourney play and results. Unless you mean someone else getting nerfed.

xCobalt

I don't really see the rationale behind people who aren't playing certain characters anymore because they got some nerfs. We don't have all the information yet but as it stands right now, the majority of the cast is weaker. Relatively speaking, these nerfs shouldn't be that detrimental when you look at the big picture.

SUPARSTARX

I don't really see the rationale behind people who aren't playing certain characters anymore because they got some nerfs. We don't have all the information yet but as it stands right now, the majority of the cast is weaker. Relatively speaking, these nerfs shouldn't be that detrimental when you look at the big picture.

Most of the nerfs are removing completely safe distances of some moves into more of a grey area (i.e. punish button mashing), addressing overuse of safe chains, meter build and running away (even though these don't happen until later in the matches).

Everything looks more positive for gameplay for sure. Super SF4 had a lot of damage nerfs too all in the name of balancing and everything plays out fine and some things still look like a ton of damage.

Shouta

I suspect it may be something like making it so you can't block on roll instantly or something, allowing your opponent to possibly meaty you for more damage if you guess correctly.

vg260

Hey, if you haven't bought the swap costume pack on the PS3, there seems to be a free dupe of it on the PS3 store. Figured I'd try it for the heck of it, and it was the real deal. Chances are it'll be fixed soon.

SUPARSTARX

Everything looks hella nice. The entire cast on both ends are looking really good with chain nerfs and other buffs.

SFxT is going to turn into an even better fighter than anticipated. Hopefully people give the game a second chance for the gameplay and look past the DLC and PR disaster.

capcom unity version

really liking the yoshi buffs. better pokes, better frame advantage, better antiair, better reversal (including one that does 250dmg and leads to crumple into full combo lol). i thought i was gonna miss the meter building, but with these buffs maybe i won't miss it that much. interesting that they chose not to nerf his boost combo.

asuka buffs are even better. her and yoshi are now on the top of my list of characters i'm looking forward to playing.

suparstarx said:
The entire cast on both ends are looking really good with chain nerfs and other buffs.
except that quite a few of the tekken side aren't getting their boost combos nerfed.

Hey, if you haven't bought the swap costume pack on the PS3, there seems to be a free dupe of it on the PS3 store. Figured I'd try it for the heck of it, and it was the real deal. Chances are it'll be fixed soon.

Thanks! Randomly checked this thread and saw this.

J10

Banned
Could someone explain whether the changes to Asuka are good or bad? I don't have the patience to figure out how to make heads or tails of this stuff.

hertog

Again waiting for my Jack-X changes.

But buffs for Kuma are awesome.

For now my SFxT 2013 team looks like this:

point: Blanka/Paul

Anchor: Jack/King/Kuma

My biggest concerns is that Jin actually got buffed, and I considered him already as top tier.
And I hate that emo douchebag design... ugh.

stn

Jin is going to be really good. In a game where they're trying to nerf runaway, he actually got a BUFF to his fireball. Um...yeah. Rolento and Raven look like a few of the worst characters now.

I hate the way Capcom balances games SO SO MUCH!!!!!!

Top Bottom