• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Asuka is kind of a reaction character going by how she has a bunch of counter moves, right? I'm just not that great at stuff like that. I like more straightforward characters (so no grapplers or tricky trap characters), not that I have any idea if Alisa is one.

Asuka isn't really a reaction character since her reversal moves aren't very good. In capcom games, counter moves like those on asuka or gouken in sf4 are more for mindgames than reacting to attacks since even top tournament players won't be able to reliably react fast enough to counter moves that come out in fractions of a second. Asuka is fairly good at applying pressure with her long hit strings and special kick dash cancels. She also has a decent crossup jumping hp.

hertog

Just general stuff like BnBs, how I should play her, good tag partners, etc.

I think she makes a great anchor with her control of the screen.
She has a great projectile zoning game, and if destroy form is activated she's the queen of anti-airs.

She also has a good rushdown game with her chainsawcombo's mix-ups

Pair her with a good point character like Guile, Vega or Rolento

But she takes a lot to learn due to her weird normals. Some come out somewhat slow or don't have a decent range.
She's also pretty slow and had a worthless backdash.

some BnB:

cr. lp > cr. lp > c.mk xxx QCB+k > FS.hp xxx HCF+p with a kick follow-up

st.hk > cr.lp > cr.mk xxx QCB+k > c.mk xxx super

after a launcher:

close standing mp > st.mp > cr. mk xxx HCF+p-k

after her chainsaw overhead:

cr.lp xxx st.mp xx cr.hp xxx EX.qcb+2P, st.lp, st.mp, cr.hp hcf+p with kick follow-up

Mr. Fix

Call me crazy, but I'm kind of interested in buying this. How's the online fare for most people? I had no problem with SSF4's online, whereas I couldn't play marvel online (that second delay really screws with me). I'm mostly interested in playing tag-team with a friend.

Any problems at all (I've heard that there were some before the DLC batch)?

And lastly, do you chain combos like marvel (lenient timing when doing a combo)? Or linking like SF (more strict)? I've heard both, and I'm probably using the wrong term. I've read the OP, but I think that's something different.

Xevren

Call me crazy, but I'm kind of interested in buying this. How's the online fare for most people? I had no problem with SSF4's online, whereas I couldn't play marvel online (that second delay really screws with me). I'm mostly interested in playing tag-team with a friend.

And lastly, do you chain combos like marvel (lenient timing when doing a combo)? Or linking like SF (more strict)? I've heard both, and I'm probably using the wrong term. I've read the OP, but I think that's something different.

Just my views, but the online for me was awful on PS3 but on 360 it was probably the best of Capcom's offerings on the system in terms of netcode.

It has both chains and links, chains typically don't do a lot of damage while links will net you much more.

in my experience, the netcode is better than marvel on ps3.

links are usually better to do, but it really depends on the character. the built-in chain is usually always unsafe but makes for an easy combo and a way to tag in your partner. on top of that, a lot of characters have tekken-style chains which have lenient timing like abc chains but are often safer and can be cancelled into a special move.

Mr. Fix

It has both? It sounds like chains are a handicap here, in which case I'd opt for links, but is there an option to toggle chains off?

And the sound is fixed now, right?

It has both? It sounds like chains are a handicap here, in which case I'd opt for links, but is there an option to toggle chains off?

And the sound is fixed now, right?
i think you're looking at it the wrong way. both have advantages and disadvantages. you'll want to utilize both to max your game. you might use a link to confirm into a chain into a launcher, for example. the usage of chains vs links is mostly character dependent, as some characters might use links more and some might rely on chains, but generally you're going to use both.

and yes, sound is fixed.

SUPARSTARX

The online is indefinitely better than Marvel and AE. I don't know how matches are in general in 2v1, but I feel like those are probably the worst online matches because of the three way communication.

And just like any game, if your opponent has crappy service, no amount of amazing netcode will help save it. In general my experience on PSN and XBL are pretty good. PC version has some issues with the rollback being overtuned, there are hiccups with it.

hertog

Would Dudley be an okay front character with Alisa as the second? I was okay with Dudley in SSFIV.

Dudley is pretty good, but his normals lack any kind of reach and he has no cross-ups.
But if you like a pure rushdown-game go for dudley.
Heck, my best point character is Blanka and he's one of the worst characters in the game.

hertog

My game crashed and now I've lost all my saved data!?!?!

All my bp is gone, all my costum colors and gems set-ups... what the hell

SUPARSTARX

Joined in for some online bi-weeklies organized by some SRK peeps sunday. Recorded most of the PSN matches. Here are some of them
Thread: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sfxt-online-tournament-series-bi-weeklies.167118

chaoslimits (Nina x Kazuya) vs kojibeoulve (Alisa x Asuka)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9O_lNcoiXE

OZleon (Heihachi x Akuma) vs THERagingRay (Hwoarang x Juri)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxgEO-h2qM

THERagingRay (Hwoarang x Juri) vs aceattorney413 (Chun Li) x Doug_Drealer (Xiaoyu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz6_IgGxzAE

mousefire777 (Lei x Xiaoyu) vs chaoslimits (Nina x Kazuya)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc58UsmCA2g

chaoslimits (Nina x Kazuya) vs THERagingRay (Hwoarang x Juri) - Winner's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZgnfNhz8zo

chaoslimits (Nina x Kazuya) vs THERagingRay (Hwoarang x Juri) - Grand Finals 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDW6JW2ONio

chaoslimits (Nina x Kazuya) vs THERagingRay (Hwoarang x Juri) - Grand Finals 2/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qRATF9rk2E

Had some lite discussion with some others about tiers.
Top Ten:
Ryu, Guile, Cammy, Rolento, Zangief, Kazuya, Hugo, Rufus, Chun Li, Jack-X, Julia

Other extremely notable characters that could break into top ten as well: Dhalsim, Jin, Cody

Does anyone have any suggestions for reliable anti airs for Bryan?

I get constantly destroyed by jump ins from my friends ryu/ken. My other character is Cody, who just has amazing anti air tools, but I can't do shit when I have Bryan out.

I especially get caught up in situations where we are close enough that he can jump in and get me with a cross up, and I sort of get stuck in cross up loops with him, where unless I make a good series of blocks, I get destroyed and its tough to come back from the health deficit.

SUPARSTARX

Nina's good when she gets in your head. I think she's not a bad point character but she seems only OK as a secondary. She's better suited alone if this game had a solo mode lol

Her fast limbs are short, her anti air is okay at some distance. She's strong when you setup ambiguous j.MP and confirm into 400 solo damage combos. Raw tag is short range, alpha counter is decent. Her strength lies in high low mix ups and command grab reset is good.

Before the Vita version. :p

And much cheaper too I bet, but I saw the Vita version at GamesCom and it looks very promising. I think it's pretty much the same game as on consoles with very little graphical sacrifices, a great dpad and a super responsive display. Vita was basically made for this kind of thing.

Khezu

Haven't got much time to put into it just yet, but despite its faults, I think its really fun game, much more fun the SF4 to me.

Unpopular? opinion time, game would probably be way better as a 1v1 game, I don't think the tag mechanics really add much to the game so far. Also less weird and super oppressive damage scaling.

SUPARSTARX

Haven't got much time to put into it just yet, but despite its faults, I think its really fun game, much more fun the SF4 to me.

Unpopular? opinion time, game would probably be way better as a 1v1 game, I don't think the tag mechanics really add much to the game so far. Also less weird and super oppressive damage scaling.
The scaling is ok, I wished it wasn't the same as SF4's but it's crazy cuz they already made boost damage really weak and they made the scaling off boost combos pretty bad. I suppose they didn't want to give away so much damage for something so easy but at the same time a lot of characters are just going to be pretty much hit confirming off a lot of light hits.

The stronger combos in here range around 400ish with a meter solo or tag, it's what most people can aim for. With two meter combos, the damage should be aimed up toward 500ish. The key thing is to squeeze as many big hits as possible.

Kazuya's doing a full EWGF combo can probably hit like 450-500 solo. It's ridiculous. Not even factoring in reset setups here. A quick reset will easily bring someone to almost losing their character in 2 combos.

hertog

The scaling is ok, I wished it wasn't the same as SF4's but it's crazy cuz they already made boost damage really weak and they made the scaling off boost combos pretty bad. I suppose they didn't want to give away so much damage for something so easy but at the same time a lot of characters are just going to be pretty much hit confirming off a lot of light hits.

The stronger combos in here range around 400ish with a meter solo or tag, it's what most people can aim for. With two meter combos, the damage should be aimed up toward 500ish. The key thing is to squeeze as many big hits as possible.

Kazuya's doing a full EWGF combo can probably hit like 450-500 solo. It's ridiculous. Not even factoring in reset setups here. A quick reset will easily bring someone to almost losing their character in 2 combos.

Well a good placed roundhouse cancelled into a launcher with Jack doing his super does somewhere around 500-600 even with scaling :)

SUPARSTARX

Well a good placed roundhouse cancelled into a launcher with Jack doing his super does somewhere around 500-600 even with scaling :)

Oh, yeah if you start off with jumping in, which is pretty reliable here since bad pokes get whiff punished easy in this game. 50% combos are very practical fortunately in the games current progression of knowledge. A shame some people ditched the game for DLC issues and stream trolling.

I like this game a bit better than SF4. There's a lot of autopiloting and mindless rushdown in SF4. You don't really get respectable matches a lot online. I've been playing tons of Tekken Tag 2 lately and some SFxT on the side. Both games punish you hard for mistakes and require you to sometimes play it real safe. They just need to balance out the health and maybe the damage slightly on a few key moves for every character here. SFxT will be fine. People still just need to learn the game cuz they're playing it "wrong" like SF4. Hit confirms in here should be brutal along with appropriate resets if your team has the potential for it.

hertog

Oh, yeah if you start off with jumping in, which is pretty reliable here since bad pokes get whiff punished easy in this game. 50% combos are very practical fortunately in the games current progression of knowledge. A shame some people ditched the game for DLC issues and stream trolling.

I like this game a bit better than SF4. There's a lot of autopiloting and mindless rushdown in SF4. You don't really get respectable matches a lot online. I've been playing tons of Tekken Tag 2 lately and some SFxT on the side. Both games punish you hard for mistakes and require you to sometimes play it real safe. They just need to balance out the health and maybe the damage slightly on a few key moves for every character here. SFxT will be fine. People still just need to learn the game cuz they're playing it "wrong" like SF4. Hit confirms in here should be brutal along with appropriate resets if your team has the potential for it.

Ow I enjoy it way more than SF4.
That's a pure poking/footsie game

This game can be over in seconds or last for three time-outs
The real shame is in the balance.

Ryu/KAzuya/Zangief/Cody/Chunli/Jin are just too good compared to the rest

SUPARSTARX

Yeah I think the roster balance could use some tweaks. Nothing huge for overhaul though. Those character have tools but a lot of the others unmentioned have good neutral game.

I don't think corner pressure is too important here. It's useful but it's never in the same as SF4 where that's a good a mount of damage being setups off throws or up close mix ups. Those mix ups still work in SFxT.

On the note of strong characters, Dhalsim and JackX are pretty b.s.

hertog

Yeah I think the roster balance could use some tweaks. Nothing huge for overhaul though. Those character have tools but a lot of the others unmentioned have good neutral game.

I don't think corner pressure is too important here. It's useful but it's never in the same as SF4 where that's a good a mount of damage being setups off throws or up close mix ups. Those mix ups still work in SFxT.

On the note of strong characters, Dhalsim and JackX are pretty b.s.

They are really specialized but they have clear weakpoints. Sim has only 900 hp and is really slow while jack's fastest normal at 6 frames is slower than Ryu's sweep.
For me the strongest characters are without weaknesses like Ryu and Kazuya

Learned one thing today ihearthawthats has one evil annoying Ibuki :)
thanks. i'm a bit surprised more people don't play her, as i feel she's pretty strong in this game. i guess people are too used to sf4's vortex version of her, but i think she plays closer to her 3s version which i actually prefer. you really need a good reversal dp to stop her offensive pressure, or burn the meter on a cross counter.

superstarx said:

i wouldn't mind if the stages were smaller, so it'd be easier to get the corner. sometimes in this game i don't even bother to try to get em in the corner.

They are really specialized but they have clear weakpoints. Sim has only 900 hp and is really slow while jack's fastest normal at 6 frames is slower than Ryu's sweep.
For me the strongest characters are without weaknesses like Ryu and Kazuya

Kazuya doesn't have a good reversal so characters like Zangief and Hugo can destroy him. It's also easy for some characters to zone him out since he needs to get close to the other player to do damage.

Dhalsim is really good in this game. He does well against most of the other top tier characters (Shotos/Gief/Kazuya/Rufus) that are played in tournaments. His standing short comes out really fast and leads to big damage due to chain combos into tag. The roll on wakeup in this game also somewhat eliminates his main problem in sf4 of getting trapped in a corner and dying.

And yeah, Jack does really well when other players don't know about the character, but his slow moves are a liability.

hertog

I started out with Guile and King. And I thought King was not a viable character. Now that I know the game a lot better, I'm actually pretty good with him.

I can anticipate counters so much better and I'm getting good at his high/low/throws mix-ups.

I'm really doubting about a main team right now. I win the most matches with Blanka/Jack, but that's because I've always played Blanka and I use Jack as a combo-extender.

A more natural team would be Guile/Blanka or even Blanka/King. And there's still Rolento who's playstyle I just love.

stn

I'm all over the place with who I use. I'm trying to level up my team of Akuma/Yoshimitsu. I happen to be much better with Rolento, so I generally use him with Ryu as my sub. Sometimes I'll throw in Lili or Paul, two characters I really enjoy using. I'd also like to learn Dhalsim, maybe pair him up with Akuma?

These few characters are the ones I always rotate, but for now I'd say my current main is Rolento. I've always been a footsie-heavy character since ST/HDR.

Horseress

Hey guys! It's been a long time I don't come here since I've been playing TTT2 A LOT! But...I still love this game <3

And this video made me want to play SfxT again and try new stuff, some great examples of setups with pandora.

SUPARSTARX

Hey guys! It's been a long time I don't come here since I've been playing TTT2 A LOT! But...I still love this game <3

And this video made me want to play SfxT again and try new stuff, some great examples of setups with pandora.

Yeah that's some good stuff there. If they made pandora not put you back like a few steps back there would be way more pandora punishes since it's 0 start up plus whatever your next moves are.

I started out with Guile and King. And I thought King was not a viable character. Now that I know the game a lot better, I'm actually pretty good with him.

I can anticipate counters so much better and I'm getting good at his high/low/throws mix-ups.

I'm really doubting about a main team right now. I win the most matches with Blanka/Jack, but that's because I've always played Blanka and I use Jack as a combo-extender.

A more natural team would be Guile/Blanka or even Blanka/King. And there's still Rolento who's playstyle I just love.
i used to main king but i don't play him much anymore. i still really like him and while he's not top tier i still think he's somewhat viable. he does really good damage off a tag with his knee combos, so i can see him as a decent replacement to jack. people nowadays are really privy about his overhead, so i never really go for it anymore. i mostly jus go for counterhits instead of a high/low mix-up, but when i do land a throw with him it's much more satisfying than with hugo or marduk.

stn said:
I'm all over the place with who I use. I'm trying to level up my team of Akuma/Yoshimitsu. I happen to be much better with Rolento, so I generally use him with Ryu as my sub. Sometimes I'll throw in Lili or Paul, two characters I really enjoy using. I'd also like to learn Dhalsim, maybe pair him up with Akuma?

These few characters are the ones I always rotate, but for now I'd say my current main is Rolento. I've always been a footsie-heavy character since ST/HDR
i play yoshi too, but i like starting him on point because he has decent keepaway to build meter for a windmill switch cancel.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hopped onto this on PS3 last weekend.

Endless was dead. Just a few lobbies up with 1 person waiting in each.

Hope there's more people on when the Vita version comes out. :/

Top Bottom