• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

are the free costumes gone already?

Edit: I cant seem to find them anywhere, however, I was able to download only Steve's swap costume for free still, so if anyone wants that one, go for it.

Could someone explain whether the changes to Asuka are good or bad? I don't have the patience to figure out how to make heads or tails of this stuff.
good overall.

the good: better antiairs, better overheads, better lows, better moves overall, and better damage overall.
the bad: no more easy mode dash cancel pressure.

anti-airs:
- she used to lack a reliable (meterless) anti-air. s.lp and dragon wheel kick (towards+lk) were the better ones. they have now both gained invincibility making them pretty damn reliable now.

overheads:
- c.hp can now be cancelled into special moves and starts up faster. gives her better damage options during combos, but the real reason for this is most likely comboing after her thunderfall kick overhead (towards+hk). before, after her overhead, all she could get was either c.hp or c.hk. now she can do overhead, c.hp xx special move.

- her other overhead, tsuwabuki (towards+mp) also got a slight buff. it was a 1-frame link before, and now its a 3-frame link, simply just making it easier to combo off of. at max distance, you now can also combo off of it using the newly buffed c.lk 4-framer.

target combos:
- hyakujitsuko (mk, down+mp) was a staple move for asuka. it's block stun got nerfed meaning no more easy mode dash cancel pressure. however, its still really too good for it to go away. either just let the onikubigari rip and use the newly buffed far lk to poke, or cancel into the newly buffed exorcisor which now appears to be safe on block.

- leg cutter 2nd hit (downfoward+hk, downfoward+hk) was also a good move and got its block stun nerfed similarly to hyakujitsuko (no more easy dash cancel pressure).

- whiplash to toe kick (back+mp, mk) i didn't really like that much before. now its improved with better hitbox and forward movement. still a bit skeptical about it, but hopefully its good. for the players who liked their dash cancel pressure though, this may now be the move to go to now since the other target combos got their block stun nerfed.

- her other mid-range target combo, heron dance (towards+mk, mp) i liked even less than the whiplash to toe kick. it had potential, but just did no damage and was unsafe. that has been remedied by the fact that is now cancellable. the fact that it also has better hitboxes/hurtboxes is just icing on the cake. i can see this move being used now.

normals:
- far lk was already a pretty amazing normal, and it just got better with its hurtbox reduced. my favourite normal, although the newly buffed c.lk is also looking pretty sexy. other normals got buffed, but i think lk/c.lk will still be my goto normals.

specials:
- onikubgari's damage was the only one to get nerfed due to its pressure ability, but fortunately its frame data didn't change so you still can pressure with it, it's just not as much damage.

- again, the exorcisor full string is now safe on block, but as well got a hefty meter gain buff. it looks like a fairly attractive option to go to from mid-range against fireball characters since the hp version has its projectile invincibility intact. doesn't matter if they manage to block it because you're getting ridiculously good meter.

- falling rain combo enders seem to be the way to go now.

- attack reversal and sweep throw give so much meter now. given her nerfed dash cancel pressure and her buffed overheads, it may be worthwhile to sneak in these moves more often.

kirblar

SFxT 2013 is being shown to people behind closed doors- one of the ARMSHOUSE people just mentioned he got to play it and he really liked the changes they've made.

UltraDavid with the hidden Gief vortex tech

http://youtu.be/6M_R90WG4ZA
the more interesting thing from this video to me is that he states rolls will have 8 frames of punishability. inside info or was this already publicly released?

honestly, 8 frames is a huge window. i don't see any reason to roll now. however, vortex still won't really exist because in order to account for the roll you give up on safejump/vortex timing, right?

J10

Banned
good overall.

the good: better antiairs, better overheads, better lows, better moves overall, and better damage overall.
the bad: no more easy mode dash cancel pressure.

anti-airs:
- she used to lack a reliable (meterless) anti-air. s.lp and dragon wheel kick (towards+lk) were the better ones. they have now both gained invincibility making them pretty damn reliable now.

overheads:
- c.hp can now be cancelled into special moves and starts up faster. gives her better damage options during combos, but the real reason for this is most likely comboing after her thunderfall kick overhead (towards+hk). before, after her overhead, all she could get was either c.hp or c.hk. now she can do overhead, c.hp xx special move.

- her other overhead, tsuwabuki (towards+mp) also got a slight buff. it was a 1-frame link before, and now its a 3-frame link, simply just making it easier to combo off of. at max distance, you now can also combo off of it using the newly buffed c.lk 4-framer.

target combos:
- hyakujitsuko (mk, down+mp) was a staple move for asuka. it's block stun got nerfed meaning no more easy mode dash cancel pressure. however, its still really too good for it to go away. either just let the onikubigari rip and use the newly buffed far lk to poke, or cancel into the newly buffed exorcisor which now appears to be safe on block.

- leg cutter 2nd hit (downfoward+hk, downfoward+hk) was also a good move and got its block stun nerfed similarly to hyakujitsuko (no more easy dash cancel pressure).

- whiplash to toe kick (back+mp, mk) i didn't really like that much before. now its improved with better hitbox and forward movement. still a bit skeptical about it, but hopefully its good. for the players who liked their dash cancel pressure though, this may now be the move to go to now since the other target combos got their block stun nerfed.

- her other mid-range target combo, heron dance (towards+mk, mp) i liked even less than the whiplash to toe kick. it had potential, but just did no damage and was unsafe. that has been remedied by the fact that is now cancellable. the fact that it also has better hitboxes/hurtboxes is just icing on the cake. i can see this move being used now.

normals:
- far lk was already a pretty amazing normal, and it just got better with its hurtbox reduced. my favourite normal, although the newly buffed c.lk is also looking pretty sexy. other normals got buffed, but i think lk/c.lk will still be my goto normals.

specials:
- onikubgari's damage was the only one to get nerfed due to its pressure ability, but fortunately its frame data didn't change so you still can pressure with it, it's just not as much damage.

- again, the exorcisor full string is now safe on block, but as well got a hefty meter gain buff. it looks like a fairly attractive option to go to from mid-range against fireball characters since the hp version has its projectile invincibility intact. doesn't matter if they manage to block it because you're getting ridiculously good meter.

- falling rain combo enders seem to be the way to go now.

- attack reversal and sweep throw give so much meter now. given her nerfed dash cancel pressure and her buffed overheads, it may be worthwhile to sneak in these moves more often.

Thank you. The improved overheads and AAs alone will help a lot.

SUPARSTARX

the more interesting thing from this video to me is that he states rolls will have 8 frames of punishability. inside info or was this already publicly released?

honestly, 8 frames is a huge window. i don't see any reason to roll now. however, vortex still won't really exist because in order to account for the roll you give up on safejump/vortex timing, right?

Someone from Europe was play testing 2013, might be one of the Armshouse dudes, he said there's around an 8f window recovery on rolling.

Horseress

Someone from Europe was play testing 2013, might be one of the Armshouse dudes, he said there's around an 8f window recovery on rolling.

Actually, they are doing exactly what they did with auto-block gems, they realized it was a bad idea and made it useless (not as useless as auto-block gems tho). And I like this, rolls killed the whole mixups on knockdown situation..

Shouta

The point of rolls was to make it 50/50 so vortexing wasn't as all-powerful as it can be. That's very SF4 but they want to mix a bit of SF and Tekken in there so the roll helps that. Only reason they're changing it now is so that you were safe on roll before, unless your opponent got a really nice cross-up and you messed up. Now it's much more rewarding to guess correctly. If you guess wrong still, they get away.

Uraizen

Banned
The point of rolls was to make it 50/50 so vortexing wasn't as all-powerful as it can be. That's very SF4 but they want to mix a bit of SF and Tekken in there so the roll helps that. Only reason they're changing it now is so that you were safe on roll before, unless your opponent got a really nice cross-up and you messed up. Now it's much more rewarding to guess correctly. If you guess wrong still, you get away.

I dunno, all I can picture is ibuki OSing a neckbreaker after she jumps in at you and knocking you down again. Seems like it'd make rolling pointless unless there's something I don't know about.

Shouta

I dunno, all I can picture is ibuki OSing a neckbreaker after she jumps in at you and knocking you down again. Seems like it'd make rolling pointless unless there's something I don't know about.

Just standing up means you can block form knockdown so they have to go for the cross-up to be able to capitalize most of the time. If they try to cross you up, you roll and they whiff. That's kind of the idea for most of the cast. Some of the more obvious Vortex characters will get a few things to play with but that's the process I think Capcom is thinking of.

Ken

Question about costumes:

I see that Alisa has a Juri costume and a red dress outfit. How do I get both costumes? I only see "Swap Costumes" for the DLC character and nothing else.

Edit; Nvm, someone answered in the Vita thread.

Uraizen

Banned
Just standing up means you can block form knockdown so they have to go for the cross-up to be able to capitalize most of the time. If they try to cross you up, you roll and they whiff. That's kind of the idea for most of the cast. Some of the more obvious Vortex characters will get a few things to play with but that's the process I think Capcom is thinking of.

And that's when the option select neckbreaker would come out and catch the roll. =( I don't mind nerfing rolls, just not like this.

SUPARSTARX

Actually, they are doing exactly what they did with auto-block gems, they realized it was a bad idea and made it useless (not as useless as auto-block gems tho). And I like this, rolls killed the whole mixups on knockdown situation..

I like tech rolls. Some people don't. I hate the mindless auto pilot jumping in SF4.

I had an even better idea: they could've just made rolls instant instead of delayed and it would've made more sense instead.

Hard knockdown-> nada
Regular knockdown-> quick stand or quick roll-> guess wrong or get option selected, but you have room to breathe

Right now it's just more momentum killing cuz nobody is just going for anything.
Hard knockdown-> roll or stay in one spot, let the other guy flop backwards with a jump.

Even though rolls aren't hard to see and react to, there's no recovery. It makes the long stages, which I kinda of frown upon already, even more painstakingly aggravating when chasing people. This is why Sim and Guile are so good in this game. They run and have this impenetrable wall and you can't do anything about it.

Capcom Support said:
It is complete bullshit that he's asking us (PC owners) to "For now, please be patient" with this update. Holy shit, it was only last month he said we'd be getting 1.06 soon! And then he releases pretty much the same information again (we'll be getting 1.06 soon!!!) just 20 days later, again!! What are they doing over there?!? And I love how they just shut down any forums asking what's going on with the game without barely answering anything. Derek already did this once last week and now he's done it again today. Wonderful.

Fucking hell, I've already bought this game so I'll keep playing it. Hell, I'll enjoy it and I'll probably even pick up the character pack. But I fucking swear that this is it; I am not buying any new fighting game on any platform from Capcom at all for the next 10 years. Fuck their bullshittery.

Horseress

I like tech rolls. Some people don't. I hate the mindless auto pilot jumping in SF4.

I really don't think it's THAT mindless auto pilot, if you mindless jump at someone, you get dp'ed//AA'ed, but a calculated jump with a good mix-up can give you lots of damage. Maybe they are buffing AA's predicting people will not roll that much anymore.

Even though rolls aren't hard to see and react to, there's no recovery. It makes the long stages, which I kinda of frown upon already, even more painstakingly aggravating when chasing people. This is why Sim and Guile are so good in this game. They run and have this impenetrable wall and you can't do anything about it.

The chasing game is already hard enough with the infinite stages, and they take away the lockdown on the corner, giving people rolls to run away from mixups? Not cool broh, not cool.
Also, at least I can see mixups on the knockdown better than rolls.

I really don't think it's THAT mindless auto pilot, if you mindless jump at someone, you get dp'ed//AA'ed, but a calculated jump with a good mix-up can give you lots of damage. Maybe they are buffing AA's predicting people will not roll that much anymore.
i think he meant safejumps, which are immune to reversal dps.

i honestly like rolls even though i do think they are just a bit too strong. however, they are far from broken, as it's not the wisest choice to roll 100% of the time. in the game's current state, you're going to mix up rolls with quick stands. in the state as of the patch, it seems to me like rolls will become a pretty rare occurence. maybe 1 roll every 10 knockdowns if even that. i'm not that mad at the nerf though because i still don't think vortex will become prevalent, which was one of the main purposes of the roll.

shaowebb

For those looking to get their buddies into this game amazon has the special edition for $26. Best Buy had the same thing for $35, but they price match amazon now so after tax it'll be something around $28. That gets you the gem pack and a few grab bag things. Gem pack is mainly what you can sell folks with on that deal.

I'm not a fan of this game, but for those who are with friends they want to play that are on the fence still I thought I should share since Best Buy's seem to have a decent amount of the Special Editions to price match...at least they do here in WV.

So from the newest patch notes, it looks like Bryan STILL doesn't have any anti air? I thought they were working on giving the tekken cast reasonable anti airs?

Street Fighter X Tekken v2013 patch notes part 4 - System and Pandora changes plus remaining characters

System Changes

• Gem activation effects - Glowing effects toned down
• "FIGHT" timing at the beginning of the round - Disappears before characters are able to move
• Recoverable health color - Changed from dull white to orange color to increase visibility
• Camera work - Camera no longer changes during the launch attack portion of a cross rush
• Normal throws - Startup changed from 7F->5F
• Guard cancels - Can no longer follow up with additional hits after connecting with a guard cancel move
• Recoverable health speed - Speed of life recovery reduced to 1/3
• BP table contents - BP table modified
• Fortitude gem effects - Small:100 Mid:130->Small:80 Mid:110
• Life Force gem effects - Small:80 Mid:100->Small:60 Mid:80
• Harmonize gem effects - Small:60 Mid:80 Large:100->Small:40 Mid:60 Large:80
• [ID:23] Immense Power Lv.3 - Attack 30%UP->Attack 10%UP Effect Time 10 secs->20 secs *Along with changes, name changed to Immense Power Lv.1
• [ID:182] Harmonize Lv.3 - Life recovery 80->Life recovery 60 *Along with changes, name changed to Harmonize Lv.2
• [ID:189] Harmonize Lv.3 - Life recovery 80->Life recovery 60 *Along with changes, name changed to Harmonize Lv.2
• Forward recovery roll - After a forward roll, hurt box appears 7F before any additional actions are possible (still throw invincible)
• Cross Arts - Initial move damage changed from 100->150
• Pandora - Timer increased from 7 secs->10 secs

SUPARSTARX

Won't need to with some of these changes. Damage is so high up from buffs and nerfing chains. Overall people will probably go with more link and frame trapping. Chain fishing RIP December 2012.

DR2K

Banned
Won't need to with some of these changes. Damage is so high up from buffs and nerfing chains. Overall people will probably go with more link and frame trapping. Chain fishing RIP December 2012.

Eh, yeah it does. If stages are still as big as they are then scamming the clock will be just as viable.

MexicanKing1337

Neo Member
I can't wait for 2013. so far its looking like its going to be really good. i'm loving the changes to Law, Xiaoyu, Lars and Alisa.

happy that boost chain fishing is finally going to be a thing of the past come December.

Shouta

Eh, yeah it does. If stages are still as big as they are then scamming the clock will be just as viable.

But considering how much more damage you can do, and footsies being a little less safe overall, it's going to be much less of an issue, I think. Game is pretty different when when folks are using high damage combos and now it should be a bit easier to get because there's more room to punish people with big shit.

Forward recovery roll - After a forward roll, hurt box appears 7F before any additional actions are possible (still throw invincible)
this confuses me. so during those 7 frames, you can still block? in other words, all it does is prevent you from roll wakeup reversal dp or backdash? doesn't sound so bad afterall.

and i hope there's still more incoming. pandora is still practically useless.

SUPARSTARX

this confuses me. so during those 7 frames, you can still block? in other words, all it does is prevent you from roll wakeup reversal dp or backdash? doesn't sound so bad afterall.

and i hope there's still more incoming. pandora is still practically useless.

Not sure, might be window of opportunity to hit people instead.

hertog

Jack is looking awesome. He has less health and he does less damage, but he'll be far more viable as a stand alone character.

He needed some faster normals and capcom delivered, and they even gave him a cross-up :)

This version is looking better with each patch note. still I'm sour that they buffed Jin, Lili, Heihachi and Law. They were already very strong characters and I'm afraid they'll mess up the balance.

hertog

The cross-art damage buff is great, together with the overal nerfs in health, it is finally worth 3 bars.

And I love the fact that rolls are punishable. No more Gief's or Hugo's that can roll out of your "zoning zone" for free

stn

The cross-art damage buff is great, together with the overal nerfs in health, it is finally worth 3 bars.

And I love the fact that rolls are punishable. No more Gief's or Hugo's that can roll out of your "zoning zone" for free
But at the same time, they don't even need to roll closer to you. Fireballs are so shit now that it won't even matter.

Not sure, might be window of opportunity to hit people instead.
then why would they give you throw invincibility? who in their right mind would punish a roll with a measly throw when 7 frames is plenty enough time to land a full damage combo? i think it means they're just locked in place for 7 frames forced to block. giving them throw invincibility makes sense, because there would be no possible way to defend against a command throw otherwise.

SUPARSTARX

then why would they give you throw invincibility? who in their right mind would punish a roll with a measly throw when 7 frames is plenty enough time to land a full damage combo? i think it means they're just locked in place for 7 frames forced to block. giving them throw invincibility makes sense, because there would be no possible way to defend against a command throw otherwise.
All just speculation at this point. I'm thinking that's what might happen too. Just locked in at -7f disadvantage.

See, that makes sense, which means it's likely not what Capcom did. You are more than likely actually fully vulnerable to attacks for 7 frames.
look on the bright side, at least now you are fully invulnerable to throws! i mean like, we all know throws are super powerful in this game!

on the serious side, do people really still hate rolls? on day 1 people loved rolls because they hated vortexes. a few days later people hated rolls because it contributed to the heavy keepaway playstyle of the game. nowadays, there's a lot of anti-roll tech, and i'd at least like to think that people have adjusted to dealing with rolls by now.

hertog

look on the bright side, at least now you are fully invulnerable to throws! i mean like, we all know throws are super powerful in this game!

on the serious side, do people really still hate rolls? on day 1 people loved rolls because they hated vortexes. a few days later people hated rolls because it contributed to the heavy keepaway playstyle of the game. nowadays, there's a lot of anti-roll tech, and i'd at least like to think that people have adjusted to dealing with rolls by now.

I agree, but I'm not complaining. It makes my oki with Blanka a lot easier.

Top Bottom