• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

kodecraft

I am really digging the Steve/Guile combo, I am usually a Guile/Charlie player but hated him in SF4/SSF4 but in this he just works.

Disabling gems? I don't respect that. At least fucking try it out first before tossing them completely aside for pro play.

Shit's whack.
i think its more of an issue because we're in day 2. people are going to be fumbling with that shit and spend like 5 minutes going "where do i go again" or "hmmm... what gems should i choose". let people get more comfortable with the game so they can streamline their gem selection to get it done in seconds. i don't think it has to do with balance issues at all.

vocab

His are fun and definitely useful too. I especially enjoyed the Wave dash ex knuckle wave dash ex knuckle cr. H wave dash uppercut, etc combo.

<3 Kazuya in this game a lot.

Ya, I just can't figure out how to play him in a real game =/

Ferrio

Banned
Or maybe make the standard that you have to use the preset gem layouts that come with each character? Either option 1 or option 2. Still get the bonus of gems and a quick way to use them.

If everyone is using the same config then what's the point of them?

Venfayth

zv7bO.gif

I'm fine with them disabling gems although, I don't see why not just use the ones that are default with the characters, but whatever.

I wonder how fast the process will take to upload gems from USB to the console though if that isn't fast then it's definitely getting banned.

V_Arnold

I do not get why gems are a burden to organize when there is a switch between channels, as seen in EVO. Setup 1: Actual game played, Setup 2: People getting the gems and inputs ready. Setup 1 finishes? Setup 2 goes "live", Setup 1 gets two new people configuring their inputs and gems. Rinse and repeat...

Skilletor

I do not get why gems are a burden to organize when there is a switch between channels, as seen in EVO. Setup 1: Actual game played, Setup 2: People getting the gems and inputs ready. Setup 1 finishes? Setup 2 goes "live", Setup 1 gets two new people configuring their inputs and gems. Rinse and repeat...

Um...you're not thinking about the dozens of setups of people who aren't playing on stream setting up gems at every station, for every match, for the entire tournament.

Venfayth

It is a bigger logistical problem than just having no gems, but yeah, I agree. I'd rather see the game played with gems than without them.

For every match on stream there are 20 off stream. Gem setup adds 3-5 minutes to each of them.

You think what we've seen in a stream set up can be set up for every station running pools? Unless you have tons of extra systems and monitors to spare, it's not feasible. You can't just run gems on a stream and no where else during a tournament.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Stream monster logic.

When you're running a tournament, you have a given number of setups and you want to run as many matches as possible on those at all times, whether you're doing a 50 person bracket or a 32 person pool.

Venfayth

Whats wrong with default gems?

I wouldn't be surprised if people bitch about "their default gems are better!"

But Spooky did say that they're just doing this for this tournament since it's day2 or whatever. Hopefully they'll come up with a better solution in the future.

The gems are a big deal, i really wish there was a way to make it easier on the tournament organizers. They really change the game in a very positive way, adds a whole new level of play.

zlatko

Banned
For every match on stream there are 20 off stream. Gem setup adds 3-5 minutes to each of them.

Where in the fuuuuck are people getting 3-5 minutes?

If you register to play for SFxT in a tournament when you show up:

1) When you pay/sign up for your pools, you have to show a piece of paper with your character choices, and the #'s of which gem each will use. You are LOCKED to only 2 sets of gems. So if you DO want to counterpick characters go for it, but you are stuck with only loadouts you picked earlier.

2) Make a rule that if you pick to counterpick someone, you can't change that gem load out. OR

3) No counterpicking allowed ever in SFxT. 1 team, 1 set of gems for team. Go.

---If you try to take more than 30 seconds to set up your gems, penalize them a round, or DQ their ass.

I'm honestly not seeing anything more than people relying on a laziness crutch to help push gems to teh side. If you actually want them in tournaments peeps, then step your game up, or have Keits host them all from here on. I guarantee he could make shit run on time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I guess we have to wait for the tournament patch and see if it is indeed something organizers can work with.

Ferrio

Banned

1) When you pay/sign up for your pools, you have to show a piece of paper with your character choices, and the #'s of which gem each will use. You are LOCKED to only 2 sets of gems. So if you DO want to counterpick characters go for it, but you are stuck with only loadouts you picked earlier.

2) Make a rule that if you pick to counterpick someone, you can't change that gem load out. OR

---If you try to take more than 30 seconds to set up your gems, penalize them a round, or DQ their ass.

I'm honestly not seeing anything more than people relying on a laziness crutch to help push gems to teh side. If you actually want them in tournaments peeps, then step your game up, or have Keits host them all from here on. I guarantee he could make shit run on time.

Okay you got us, everyone is just lazy!

kirblar

Every time the players had to switch gems on Cross Assault it took forever because the players had to go in and do it individually. The current system is just not for tournament organizers, and a ban is the only reasonable option. When the patch comes, they'll obviously re-evaluate. The gems are set up by character, not player, so if they switched characters, they'd have to go pick new gems if they hadn't before.

not everyone can have setups as fancy as evo, especially not a local weekly.

zlatko said:
day 2 tourney i can see that. especially since a lot of the entrants might not even have the game at their own home yet and might just be entering this tourney for the fun of it. after a week or so though, it shouldn't take anyone longer than 30s.

one problem i've seen during cross assault, and i'm not sure if they were just doing it wrong or if its just impossible, is that they set up their gems 1 player at a time. there needs to be a way for both players to set up their gems simultaneously (again, i don't know if thats already possible and they just weren't doing it).

another problem is that people might want to have backup characters, backup teams, or just backup gemsets. 1 persong having to configure 5+ gem layouts would take forever.

Skilletor

I don't think it's feasible to make sure everybody at a tourney is using the gems they've written on a piece of paper. Likewise I think it's silly, since gems are designed to make characters play the way I wish, to be stuck to a preset combination when I don't know what I will run in to at a tournament. That defeats the very purpose of gems in my mind. At that point, why use them at all?

Aeris130

You also need to check the papers every match to make sure everyone's following it. And you constantly need to check that noone switches their paper with another mid-tourney.

alstein

Gems aren't broken it seems from first glance, but I can see them making tournies last too long. They should be dumped for that reason alone, or only allow default gem sets.

Bigger news: Spooky testing own3d.tv today :O

Arturo explained the reasoning on his channel just now:

Spooky and "TwitchTV" (*cough*Jared*cough*) don't get on, and Spooky isn't getting enough ad money on Twitch. There was a comment about how he only has three million views less than Day9 but Day9 gets way more money, or something.

Lag is probably a valid reason to test Own3d, but basically it all boils down to the paypah.

LakeEarth

Also, the particular system being played might not have the pre-order exclusive or DLC gems that you want to use. I could see that being an issue too. Kinda like a setup not having Jill and Shuma in MvC3.

Anti-airs work well if you time them deep and late. Otherwise, use the usual cr. fp or whatever other normals you have. Also, blocking is a good option here. Throws aren't as powerful so there's nothing too bad about eating a tick.

To the poster asking if Akuma is similar to IV Akuma: No. He has all the same moves but not as much of a vortex. I'm still trying to figure what his specialty is.

Akuma's mix up seems pretty good. Played a guy yesterday that did some stuff I just couldn't counter.. But then again, I was using King, and his anti-air game is kinda mehhh/non-existant.

zlatko

Banned
I don't think it's feasible to make sure everybody at a tourney is using the gems they've written on a piece of paper. Likewise I think it's silly, since gems are designed to make characters play the way I wish, to be stuck to a preset combination when I don't know what I will run in to at a tournament. That defeats the very purpose of gems in my mind. At that point, why use them at all?

I'm still of the mind gems > no gems, even if it is just preset option 1 or 2 that comes stock with each character.

As for my lazy comment, it's more towards how people are more easy to the idea of giving up on them altogether, rather than at least brainstorm ways to have them be available for use in tournament play.

Tizoc

So apparently there'll be more Quick Combos in the future, prob. as DLC.
I don't care if you gotta pay for them or not, I just want an option to disable them >=/

zlatko

Banned
I don't care if you gotta pay for them or not, I just want an option to disable them >=/

You can't just manually customize the Quick Combo to be what you want? Lol. That's fucked up.

Ilias78

Neo Member
Question: Is my copy deffective? Because i just ROTATE the analogue stick, Hadoken wise, WITHOUT pressing any button and a quick combo happens....! Im tottaly freaked out here...

Skilletor

I'm still of the mind gems > no gems, even if it is just preset option 1 or 2 that comes stock with each character.

As for my lazy comment, it's more towards how people are more easy to the idea of giving up on them altogether, rather than at least brainstorm ways to have them be available for use in tournament play.

I don't care one way or the other. But the purpose of gems is for me to be able to use them to fit my playstyle. If we're going to limit that at all, I think it defeats the purpose of gems and at that point I wonder why bother?

Ferrio

Banned
Lol interesting stuff.
I'd be interested to see if top players even use those preset combos. I get the feeling it won't be something to worry about, but it is mad stupid.

No they won't, but they will affect online play that's for sure. Why bother having your links fucked up due to lag when you can burn a bar and do a huge combo?

ShinAmano

Wait...you can use these online? I thought I tried and they did not work...I could be crazy.

zlatko

Banned
I don't care one way or the other. But the purpose of gems is for me to be able to use them to fit my playstyle. If we're going to limit that at all, I think it defeats the purpose of gems and at that point I wonder why bother?

Best way to look at it is like Assists or Ultras. Some customization > none. Your Rufus might be preset 1, and mine might be preset 2. Still gives him some bonuses that may fit me a bit better than another player, and some bonuses > no bonuses at the end of the day. Just like how some Fuerte players prefer U1 over U2, or how some players like this assist over that assist.

SUPARSTARX

Law feels bad in this game. No normal anti-air (crouch fierce is way too slow). Longest-ranged cancelable poke is not a low. Overhead is badass but linking or comboing out of an overhead is apparently nothing special in this game. Moves are slow and has no safe chain ender on Fierce attacks.

Somersault is a shitty anti-air. EX Somer is nice for escaping the corner if you don't get hit first. The stancepunch is a neat gimmick but if the opponent just waits you're boned. Frame disadvantage everywhere.

If there's one thing he's good at it's getting past fireballs.

Hang on bro...

b.mk is low and cancels into safe spin kicks
b.mp is -5 on block but it's far reaching.
You can link c.lk of over head
C.mp is +3 on block.

You can somewhat play him like a ghetto Feilong up close with that. C.mp can almost be done 3 times on some people. You can do two and bait counter hit with fierce and they cannot punish you from that range.

The fastest low normals are mostly 4f.

the second dragon knuckle has armor, as does ex-dragon charge.

As for anti-airs.. You can meet people in air with MP; hope to counter hit or cleanly best it out with hk. If you get counter hit in air pick them off with c.mp or c.mk into dragon knuckle and tail then send them into the corner.

Law has strong punishment and he setups corner well. I would rate him top ten. His spin kicks are good for pressure cuz its safe. You can cancel shin kicker into it.

A ton of his moves move him forward.

So be like water, my friend.

Ferrio

Banned
Best way to look at it is like Assists or Ultras. Some customization > none. Your Rufus might be preset 1, and mine might be preset 2. Still gives him some bonuses that may fit me a bit better than another player, and some bonuses > no bonuses at the end of the day. Just like how some Fuerte players prefer U1 over U2, or how some players like this assist over that assist.

Who decides these default presets? What if those presets aren't that advantageous to your character, but is to theirs? What happens when someone claims the gem preset favors certain characters?

No they won't, but they will affect online play that's for sure. Why bother having your links fucked up due to lag when you can burn a bar and do a huge combo?

The worst thing about online is the sound desync. I played 50x better with the sounds off yesterday.

zlatko

Banned
Who decides these default presets? What if those presets aren't advantageous to your character, but is to theirs?

What do you mean decide? Each character is automatically set up like that. Go pick Rolento right now without ever touching gem customization, his option 1 and option 2 are going to be same for everyone who does the same and just put in the disc.

How are these presets going to be advantagous to their character? Yourself getting + defense, power, or speed is going to benefit them somehow? Oh okay. As far as I can tell from the few characters I checked preset gems on, they didn't have the +10 power -10 speed ones. It was always + boosts, and no - boost gems.

Top Bottom