• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Ferrio

Banned
How are these presets going to be advantagous to their character? getting + defense, power, or speed is going to benefit them somehow? Oh okay.

Not saying they aren't advantageous. But some characters might benefit a lot more from the default gems than others.

I am pretty sure you can because I saw in the options that there was a customize combos option
i haven't tried personally, but i was under the impression that "customzing" your quick combos consisted of merely choosing from a list of pre-set combos and not creating your own.

zlatko

Banned
Not saying they aren't advantageous. But some characters might benefit a lot more from the default gems than others.

Maybe. I guess it's time to look at all the preset gems on each character, and see what they have been set up with on option 1 and option 2.

But your argument is also like saying, "well ryu has more benefits on his wake up because he has a shoryuken, and so he gets a huge advantage over El Fuerte who doesn't have one and instead has his upkicks."

Again if it's looked at as just like assists for this game, then it isn't a big deal of any kind since certain assist choices for characters are great. Doom Missles = fantastic, doesn't mean everyone needs doom missles to win in UMvC3.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Like I said before, I'd love the option to just turn off quick combo inputs as well as auto-launcher on H after H. Let me hit HP+HK if I want to launch.

Can't do Poison's 11th trial, no idea why.

I can do punch to kick, and kick to projectile, but not all three.
You can't cancel into a non-EX special from a normal that was chained into. You need to insert just enough delay between the punch and the kick so it's considered a link instead.

zlatko

Banned
Like I said before, I'd love the option to just turn off quick combo inputs as well as auto-launcher on H after H. Let me hit HP+HK if I want to launch.

I've never accidently done the quick combo, but I have done the latter. It would definitely be a great feature to be able to remove that.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So they aren't allowing gems or are people just talking about that?

I'm ok with them not dealing with gems for now.

Yeah they work great when you are just playing online but not so great when you need to setup before each match locally.

LakeEarth

i haven't tried personally, but i was under the impression that "customzing" your quick combos consisted of merely choosing from a list of pre-set combos and not creating your own.

Yup, I checked it out and there are only two pre-set combos for each character. And they're just the easy ass ABC chains that shouldn't be hard for even the shittiest player.

And again, the Big Two are disabling gems for THIS TUESDAY ONLY because the game is new and picking through them will likely take up time. In a few weeks when everyone is used to picking their gems quick, then maybe they can start turning them on.

zlatko

Banned

I see it as a we don't deal with it now when the game is in its early stages, try some things now, and if no one does then nothing will ever be done to actually try them later on.

Like Big 2 tonight isn't a major, just a weekly. Let's see how it just goes in the wild at a weekly and just tell people to go fast with it. See how much more time is added on with and without it.

Kuugrr

These early tournaments (WNF, Big 2) are disabling them until the "tournament mode" patch is out. I don't think anyone knows what it entails beyond being able to have gem presets on a USB stick, but Capcom has said it's coming.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I hate gems even more than I hate X-factor.

Just a completely unnecessary mechanic...

MThanded

Is there a way to turn auto combos off? I accidentally would hit LK + HP and waste a bar.

FinKL

Can you edit the default gems and save them?

I mean, what's to stop someone from messing with the default gems, saving them on their machine under the same name and bringing that setup to a tourney?

I'm pretty sure all the gems are created equal, but i'm sure some activate slightly less than others...who knows

This almost ties in with Soul Calibur's Devil Jin/CaS bannings. The whole rational behind banning them I thought was time/different character appearances that alter the gameplay.

MThanded

Gems are a great idea but executed badly. I just wish the idea was simplified to something easy to choose from the character select screen. Similar to how easy grooves were.

I mean who knows when this tournament patch is coming.

Note: I like gems but in their current form they aren't ready for usage during tournaments or even weeklies in my opinion. Hopefully this can be rectified in the future.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I've never accidently done the quick combo, but I have done the latter. It would definitely be a great feature to be able to remove that.
Especially when you end up option-selecting yourself when you mean to cancel a heavy normal into a heavy special.

zlatko

Banned
Can you edit the default gems and save them?

I mean, what's to stop someone from messing with the default gems, saving them on their machine under the same name and bringing that setup to a tourney?

I'm pretty sure all the gems are created equal, but i'm sure some activate slightly less than others...who knows

This almost ties in with Soul Calibur's Devil Jin/CaS bannings. The whole rational behind banning them I thought was time/different character appearances that alter the gameplay.

What's to stop someone from using Turbo at a tournament? I'm sure you can just modify your stick to not have lights turn on and have turbo enabled.

Gems are a great idea but executed badly. I just wish the idea was simplified to something easy to choose from the character select screen. Similar to how easy grooves were.

I mean who knows when this tournament patch is coming.

I actually like the depth though. All the different kinds of requirements make it more strategic based on which character you use and how you play them. Inherently it unfortunately doesn't fit with how tourneys are run I hope the dlc can fix that.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is there a way to turn auto combos off? I accidentally would hit LK + HP and waste a bar.

Is it true that LP + HK is quickcombo as well?
Fucking hell... I use LP to p-link on my pad. fucking hellll....

Guess plinking HK is out of the picture then.

You can't cancel into a non-EX special from a normal that was chained into. You need to insert just enough delay between the punch and the kick so it's considered a link instead.

not sure which that is exactly, but you have to link both the punch and the kick (instead of chaining).

Ah, okay. Thanks.

FinKL

Also, the test on own3d.tv is due to Final Round? I know spooky was complaining about something that wasn't on his end, but I don't remember. He works so hard and it sucks that there are hiccups that he can't fix.

MThanded

Also, the test on own3d.tv is due to Final Round? I know spooky was complaining about something that wasn't on his end, but I don't remember. He works so hard and it sucks that there are hiccups that he can't fix.

I wonder how twitch feels about this? *sending out Jared bat signal*

Venfayth

It's strange. I watched SC2 for a long time before getting interested in fighting games, and the SC2 streams I watched with similar viewer numbers have never had the stuttering issues that spooky has.

SUPARSTARX

The gems are numbered. they just need to throw in an extra menu for gem numbers with colors.

It's not complicated. players just need to know what numbers so their special gems are still shrouded in mystery.

I hope that is the approach they take. Something like three slots and you quickly go through the gem numbers like a combination

MThanded

The gems are numbered. they just need to throw in an extra menu for gem numbers with colors.

It's not complicated. players just need to know what numbers so their special gems are still shrouded in mystery.

I hope that is the approach they take. Something like three slots and you quickly go through the gem numbers like a combination

I said this a month ago and people said it was clunky. I agree. For gems to be usable they need to be very simple and easy to change from the character select screen. If Ono and the team can't make that happen I don't see them being taken seriously.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Auto-combos have to be turned on. You can check it out in the gem editing menu. I believe you can activate it at the cost of a slower filling cross gauge.
But Pandora is OK, right? Haha

no sarcasm, just jokes!

Its cool. Pandora makes more sense than X-Factor imo.

Nose Master

I haven't looked, but can you edit those buttons (L3 and R3) to no function? I'm assuming that's what you're doing, and not the actual button combination.

---

Finally getting a better feel for Poison. Her overhead seems so pointless. Why does she have a slow, shitty elbow drop when she can just do the chicken wing thing, and actually combo after it? (I hope the flip kick is an overhead.)

Really just missing a good crossup, at this point. It seems like a super-deep LK is the best option, and it's not good enough to ever actually use.

I'm trying to appreciate gems, or at least convince myself this isn't as bad as I think it is. I feel like I'm in denial, but on the other hand I don't want to overreact.

Arturo indicated it was due to Spooky wanting off of Twitch due to a few reasons, one of which is that he thinks he should be getting more money, and Arturo speculated that ad revenue on Twitch is about $1.20 per 1k ads, when Own3d is $1.80.

LakeEarth

I hate gems even more than I hate X-factor.

Just a completely unnecessary mechanic...

Gems are stupid, but I don't hate them. I HATE X-factor though.

The idea of x-factor is this: in MvC2, if you were down to your last character, it's over. So a comeback mechanic was needed.... problem is that MvC3 isn't MvC2, and good anchors can do serious damage by themselves. I'm not saying xfactor is unnecessary, but it shouldn't let a 3 hit combo do 500k damage.

Gems are just sorta... there.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do the Mishimas' step inputs? I'm a pad player and I've always skipped neutral when doing DP motions. In order to do these step moves, after I hit right I very deliberately have to take my thumb off of the pad and make a quarter circle, which is very slow and finicky to do in combo situations.

My experience with 2D fighting games is working against me. :C

zlatko

Banned
Does anyone have any tips on how to do the Mishimas' step inputs? I'm a pad player and I've always skipped neutral when doing DP motions. In order to do these step moves, after I hit right I very deliberately have to take my thumb off of the pad and make a quarter circle, which is very slow and finicky to do in combo situations.

I don't do it on pad, but one of the easiest ways to do the mist step is just do a quick double quarter circle forward, and then keep doing QCF's and it'll keep mist stepping super fast so you can get across the screen in a blaze.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

I think you can buffer it with F~HCF, zlatko's method works better though. It feels much faster.

Top Bottom