• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I might be in the minority here. After playing the demo, its a no purchase for me. I didn't like the graphics design. Everything is shiny. The game play seems boring. Running and pressing square constantly. I just felt dull and bored.
Well, for what it's worth, and I'm not sure if it's in the demo but probably not, but there's a lot more than just pressing one button. All the reviews seem to indicate stuff like elemental cyphers, reflecting shots and the catapult shot are essential later on. I wouldn't paint a picture of the game based on pretty much only having one of the mechanics available to you at the easiest part of the game.

I found it by going to "New games this month" which tiles out everything put onto the store in Feb. Both demo and full game were listed in that view. (You can prob just do a word search too)

Sony's store layout needs work as even that is a few too many clicks to discover. I didn't even see it listed in the proper demo section.

Thanks. It's in the demo section, but it's not actually the demo and is the full game. I can imagine many people buying it by mistake if not paying attention >_<

Dante316

Well, for what it's worth, and I'm not sure if it's in the demo but probably not, but there's a lot more than just pressing one button. All the reviews seem to indicate stuff like elemental cyphers, reflecting shots and the catapult shot are essential later on. I wouldn't paint a picture of the game based on pretty much only having one of the mechanics available to you at the easiest part of the game.

Thats true, it could be alot more. I just can't get myself to spend $15 if I don't get hooked. And im a fan of these types of games. Mayb its the graphics design more than gameplay.

Wonko_C

I'm watching the streams and there is no iconic Cypher "schwing!" sound effect? What the hell Capcpom/DH!? I hope the classic sound is an unlockable at least. It's one of the most recognizable SFX in gaming.

Voror

I found it by going to "New games this month" which tiles out everything put onto the store in Feb. Both demo and full game were listed in that view. (You can prob just do a word search too)

Sony's store layout needs work as even that is a few too many clicks to discover. I didn't even see it listed in the proper demo section.

Thank you, downloading it now. Not sure what was up with it before, but it does need some tuning.

I'm watching the streams and there is no iconic Cypher "schwing!" sound effect? What the hell Capcpom/DH!? I hope the classic sound is an unlockable at least. It's one of the most recognizable SFX in gaming.

Really? That sux if true. Strider ain't Strider without that schwing

Edit: Damn, you're right. So lame. That thread title...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I liked the demo but really, really HATED the surround sound effect for this game.

Why are most of the sound affects on the rear speakers, and so loud!?
All the enemy and item explosions are on the rears only and are so much louder than anything in the front and center which is just music, and Strider himself.

Anyone else experience this? I may have to just use headphones.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Game was easy as piss on Hard until (boss spoiler)
motherfucking Solo. Dude is a goddamn brickwall. Be ready!

bigninja

Snagged it for PS4 because of remote play. Loving it so far! That music when he's coming in for his initial landing gives me such good feels.

ChuckNyce

oh boy, pre-ordered it today. have i done the right decision?

I'd say so. I went in pretty blind and first impressions after a couple hours of it are very good. Digging the fluidity of the combat/traversal and overall metroidvanianess of it all. 15 bucks well spent in my opinion.

I'd say so. I went in pretty blind and first impressions after a couple hours of it are very good. Digging the fluidity of the combat/traversal and overall metroidvanianess of it all. 15 bucks well spent in my opinion.
that's reassuring. the impressions and reviews seem pretty great. forgot which one, but a site said something like"if it launched with metroid or SotN, it would be a classic". Got really hyped after that.
Really seems like Double Helix were pretty good devs which had to make shitty games.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I shit you not, (boss name spoiler)
That asshole Solo,
is still wrecking the ever loving shit out of me. That whole (attack spoiler)
homing horseshit he throws by the fuckload near the end of his lifebar flattens me in 2 seconds flat.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wow, this game is great! Fantastic Strider/Metroidvania fusion going on here. The first (real) boss fight had really took me back to the good old days with the attack patterns and platforming skills needed to beat it. No QTE bullshit, no cinematic crap, no hand-holding...just good game play.

It's almost weird playing a game that cuts out all the bullshit and is just old-school, 100% gimmick and DLC-free, 2D platform action fun in 2014. Someone still gets it....or got it, I guess- hope Double Helix keeps making good games after the Amazon purchase.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Played PS3 Demo, buying on One tomorrow.

It definitely DOES have analog movement control. You can make Strider walk very slowly, or run at full gait. There's also a bit of analog to the slashing aim, which I had no problem with on the PS3 pad.

All that Shiny, all that Black... I think that's a pretty good take on Strider Arcade's style, while trying to make it look rich and detailed. The controller shakes when Hiryu gets hit, but he himself doesn't give much feedback.

I LOVE the feeling of running and slashing. It's exactly the feel I enjoy about Strider NES and Arcade (and that felt bogged down by leveling and boring stage design in Moon Diver). While normally a lack of "OOMPH!" is something I loath in melee-combat games, here, since it's representing how effortlessly Cypher slashes things, it's appropriate. Also, watching the enemies get severed is very nice, though I'd love for it to be even more dynamic.

Patterns, enemy tells, rhythmic motion once you get into the groove... these are the marks of a solid game, and the demo gave me all those feelings. Of course, I missed things like air-dashing, double jumps, charge swipes (which you find in the demo) and such, but it seems like the game is set to give you everything you'd want in a game like this, plus a few Strider-specific bonuses.

When the remix of the NES theme popped in after I picked up Charged Cypher, I was pretty much sold. I was completely comfortable with it on PS3, so I expect the same on the XBO.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Played PS3 Demo, buying on One tomorrow.

It definitely DOES have analog movement control. You can make Strider walk very slowly, or run at full gait. There's also a bit of analog to the slashing aim, which I had no problem with on the PS3 pad.

All that Shiny, all that Black... I think that's a pretty good take on Strider Arcade's style, while trying to make it look rich and detailed. The controller shakes when Hiryu gets hit, but he himself doesn't give much feedback.

I LOVE the feeling of running and slashing. It's exactly the feel I enjoy about Strider NES and Arcade (and that felt bogged down by leveling and boring stage design in Moon Diver). While normally a lack of "OOMPH!" is something I loath in melee-combat games, here, since it's representing how effortlessly Cypher slashes things, it's appropriate. Also, watching the enemies get severed is very nice, though I'd love for it to be even more dynamic.

Patterns, enemy tells, rhythmic motion once you get into the groove... these are the marks of a solid game, and the demo gave me all those feelings. Of course, I missed things like air-dashing, double jumps, charge swipes (which you find in the demo) and such, but it seems like the game is set to give you everything you'd want in a game like this, plus a few Strider-specific bonuses.

When the remix of the NES theme popped in after I picked up Charged Cypher, I was pretty much sold. I was completely comfortable with it on PS3, so I expect the same on the XBO.

Yeah that's what I figured

controller joystick only sucks for 8-way directional aiming/moving. Like contra or hard corps uprising or any fighitng game.

but it's fine for sidescrollers with true analog input/movements/aiming. Like I prefered mark of the ninja with the joystick

VariantX

Wow, this game is great! Fantastic Strider/Metroidvania fusion going on here. The first (real) boss fight had really took me back to the good old days with the attack patterns and platforming skills needed to beat it. No QTE bullshit, no cinematic crap, no hand-holding...just good game play.

It's almost weird playing a game that cuts out all the bullshit and is just old-school, 100% gimmick and DLC-free, 2D platform action fun in 2014. Someone still gets it....or got it, I guess- hope Double Helix keeps making good games after the Amazon purchase.

So far, beyond the little story cut scene here or there, its just good ol' fashioned "pay-the-fuck-attention" or get splattered against the wall. Game is hitting all the right buttons so far.

For those who have it, hows the soundtrack?

Waiting for it to unlock on Steam. Give it to meeeeeeeeee
Do PC version will have keyboard controls, right? I have a feeling that WASD or the arrow keys will be better suited for the movement than an analog stick

Dezzy

I tried some of the demo on PS4, and it feels like you mostly just go forward and slash apart enemies. Is there more interesting level design later? More platforming? Trickier enemies?

Also, those scanlines are annoying, why would they put that in there?

I tried some of the demo on PS4, and it feels like you mostly just go forward and slash apart enemies. Is there more interesting level design later? More platforming? Trickier enemies?

I mean, that's a lot of what Strider is about... There will probably be more platforming elements later on?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

There is, just watch a recent trailer or any video that's been put out for it really. Examples: using Ice cypher to freeze enemies mid-air and using them as platforming elements.

And as I mentioned in a previous post, the catapult shot is pretty damn heavily used once you get it. There's one section where you pretty much have to freefall and time + aim your catapult shot correctly or die.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Oh fuckin' hell, is it satisfying to put down any of the bosses in this game outside of the first easy few. I definitely will stay up late, to keep on fighting some of these suckers for sure. It's just cathartic to see that trophy pop out when they croak, jeez.

Thank god for Steam's new preorder refund policy. The game STILL isn't out on Steam, which is just unacceptable in The Year of Luigi 2014; so it can definitely wait for a major sale.

anddo0

I beat the first two bosses. Very happy with the game thus far. My PS4 had been starving for something new.. Outlast and Don't Starve are okay. But this is my type of game.

Shallwhat

Banned
Guys, I don't know which console to purchase this on. PS4 or XB1. Is there any advantage to purchasing it on one or the other. If not, I guess I'll get it on XB1 since that's where my GamerScore collection is at, I usually use my PS4 for exclusives but seeing that a lot of games are 1080P on PS4 and generally look better, it's a tough decision.

Game is awesome, but my only complaint is the level design. I feel like the environments are too big for their own good as well as visually repetitive. It isn't Metroidvania bad, but I would have still preferred a more linear design I think. Maybe it will get better or grow on me though.

Other than that, it's very cool.

Xander51

Guys, I don't know which console to purchase this on. PS4 or XB1. Is there any advantage to purchasing it on one or the other. If not, I guess I'll get it on XB1 since that's where my GamerScore collection is at, I usually use my PS4 for exclusives but seeing that a lot of games are 1080P on PS4 and generally look better, it's a tough decision.

It looks good, but it's not exactly a graphical powerhouse. Runs really great on both machines. Just go with your gut.

Top Bottom