• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

tbm24

I wonder if they were against double tapping to run or something. As others have said, atleast an option would've been ace.

I'll tell you what, I wish there was d-pad option solely because the ps4 analog and me aren't friends. Like fifa, I find my thumb sliding off the thing and it's starting to wear down a bit which is odd being that I don't actively use my ps4 much outside some games of fifa every week or so.

Just made it to the residential district.

Game is... alright, so far, I guess. It's a weird feeling because the game is "hard," but it also doesn't really seem to be rewarding me for learning. Some enemies/bosses can just trash you with one or two combos (the first boss/midboss/whatever is easily the hardest thing in the game so far) and despite the fact the loading screen tells you "the latest ability is probably the key to defeating new foes" mashing square does the trick on most everyone. Most of the difficulty I've faced so far has been figuring out when to jump away from big enemies to avoid attacks. I also really don't like how finicky the analog controls are.

That being said, I haven't gotten to "charged" mode (why there is a "charged" mode and a "charge" attack is a bit confusing) a single time. The game seems really easy to brute force, because I'm definitely not "good" at it and I've basically just plowed my way through the first quarter or whatever.

Also, the Kazakh/fake Russia jokes are just lame. Not offensive or politically incorrect, just... lame. They also repeat over and over, and if I hear "EEFEECIENT CITEEZINS MEANZ EEFEECIENT TRANZEET" one more time I'm going to huck my controller right into that big fucking dialogue box.

JoeFenix

G7eFLGZ.jpg

Finished it on Hard in a single sitting, pretty decent game!

I had a bunch of issues with it but I was reasonably impressed overall, wasn't going for the speed demon trophy but realized I could get it so started rushing near the end.

Game feels a bit sloppy with its patterns on Hard, enemies just pile it on but you're pretty overpowered so you can just plow through. There's some slight jank on display here with questionable hitboxes and physics at times but overall it's tighter than I expected.

Presentation is solid during actual gameplay but cutscenes and enemy intros are pretty cheap looking. The designs are cool but the modeling and animations aren't up to snuff at times. Still, it runs well and it mostly looks nice, I kind of expected worse honestly.

You can tell Double Helix actually cared about the game and tried their best to make something respectable. They succeeded, It's a pretty fun vid!

tbm24

Hmm I need to restrain myself from trying to beat this in one sitting then since I need to study for an exam :(. I can definitely see myself getting into speed running this game. Slicing and running is too much fun.

JoeFenix

Fuck me why didn't I play the demo before buying.

Fuck analog movement for platformers.

Oh yeah, that's something I forgot to mention. What the fuck were they thinking?

Game is in dire need of some DPAD controls, I got used to it but analog control for a game like this is certainly not optimal.

The more I reflect on the game the more I realize how janky it actually was but it still had its heart in the right place and did enough things right for me to come out of it feeling pretty positive.

A western developed Strider could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Lexikon

Neo Member
Hmm I need to restrain myself from trying to beat this in one sitting then since I need to study for an exam :(. I can definitely see myself getting into speed running this game. Slicing and running is too much fun.

It's so nice to see I'm not the only one who had to force myself to stop playing to finish writing this paper :/

Is it possible to beat Solo with two health upgades?

Because I'm having a REAL hard time with him. Am I under developed for him now or do I just need to accept it and say I just suck at video games. Because everyone else seems to say this is a cakewalk. :/

tbm24

Oh yeah, that's something I forgot to mention. What the fuck were they thinking?

Game is in dire need of some DPAD controls, I got used to it but analog control for a game like this is certainly not optimal.

The more I reflect on the game the more I realize how janky it actually was but it still had its heart in the right place and did enough things right for me to come out of it feeling pretty positive.

A western developed Strider could have been a hell of a lot worse.
My issues with the actual analog on the controller aside, I have no trouble actually controlling strider with it. Movement is on point as far as I've been able to experience so far.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Is it possible to beat Solo with two health upgades?

Because I'm having a REAL hard time with him. Am I under developed for him now or do I just need to accept it and say I just suck at video games. Because everyone else seems to say this is a cakewalk. :/

He's hard as hell and IMO is the hardest boss I fought so far and I am way further into the game now. Basically...I had to get lucky. When he got to low health, he kept spamming the horseshit that home-ins into you and it fucking wrecked me over and over and over.

And then one time, he didn't do that. He did his dumbass, easy to dodge big laser 2-3 times in a row and I drilled him.

Just learn his patterns. (boss pattern spoiler)
Jump over his screenwide laser attack. Run from the pillars that shoot out the ground when he fires at the floor. Duck under him for his purple screen filling attack. When he dashes across the screen 3 times, jump over him on the 3rd shot. When he summons his big ass squares on the ground, hit him with charge attacks while jumping back and forth. Then when he summons tons of pillars of the ground, learn where they spawn and try to hit him as often as you can with charged shots. It's pretty easy to dodge actually, and the last one you can just jump over. Then you pray. You pray he doesn't spam his fucking mines!

And another thing; designers who make pre-boss fight dialogue unskippable should go to video game jail for their incompetence.

EDIT: Well I beat Solo; Tough and hard fought but I did it. On to the next one I guess.

Yuterald

Played up until the second major boss/character upgrade (some phoenix thing?). Game's alright, almost exactly what I expected. Not offensive at all, but nothing to really talk about it. Game looks/feels nice, but it's definitely got signs of being a "my first Metroid-vania". I'm playing on Hard and I felt like I've been blasting through enemies/bosses. Maybe it gets more interesting later? I sort of liked the first boss, but I fought some chick in a sewer/pit and it was the most "whatever"-feeling fight. I wrecked her so fast. Menu's are boring/uninteresting too. Soundtrack seems adequate, I think I like the boss tune, maybe? The enemy/boss "splash" screens are total Borderlands-esque too. It's the kind of cheap/shit-looking splash screens that a boring western studio would churn out.

Looking forward to seeing/playing the rest, but it's a total middle-of-the-road game from what I've played. I think I would have preferred a more arcade-like experience like the older games. Something more akin to what ASW did with Contra and their Hardcorp: Uprising. I feel like there's like a million (hate using the term, but it's still easier to use) "Metroid-vania"-like games out there now. I don't know, I think Double Helix did a better job with Killer Instinct, so far.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
.I'm playing on Hard and I felt like I've been blasting through enemies/bosses. Maybe it gets more interesting later? I sort of liked the first boss, but I fought some chick in a sewer/pit and it was the most "whatever"-feeling fight. I wrecked her so fast

Yup. That's exactly how my experience felt. The latter bosses? Prepare to get wrecked.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, but the mixing is weird. Like the sound effects are very faint, and the music is kinda baseless.

Are you playing in stereo?
The game sounds awful in surround as most of the sound affects are super loud in the rear channels, and everything from the front speakers is faint.
It's so annoying actually that it has stopped me from buying it until i replay the demo with headphones.

dcx4610

Just played a good hours worth. It's great.

I was worried about the analog controls but it feels fine and the movement IS analog so it wouldn't really work on the d-pad.

I think I would have preferred traditional 8 way d-pad controls but it really doesn't hurt it badly if at all. Excellent, fast paced action. My only complaint so far is the music is a bit subdued.

JoeFenix

Yup. That's exactly how my experience felt. The latter bosses? Prepare to get wrecked.

I don't know, I felt like the game actually got easier (hard mode) as I progressed. None of the bosses were challenging other than the fact that their patterns are questionable as fuck sometimes.

The platforming did get more exciting later on though but you can't really actually fail which is a shame. Kind of makes it feels a bit pointless.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
He's hard as hell and IMO is the hardest boss I fought so far and I am way further into the game now. Basically...I had to get lucky. When he got to low health, he kept spamming the horseshit that home-ins into you and it fucking wrecked me over and over and over.

And then one time, he didn't do that. He did his dumbass, easy to dodge big laser 2-3 times in a row and I drilled him.

Just learn his patterns. (boss pattern spoiler)
Jump over his screenwide laser attack. Run from the pillars that shoot out the ground when he fires at the floor. Duck under him for his purple screen filling attack. When he dashes across the screen 3 times, jump over him on the 3rd shot. When he summons his big ass squares on the ground, hit him with charge attacks while jumping back and forth. Then when he summons tons of pillars of the ground, learn where they spawn and try to hit him as often as you can with charged shots. It's pretty easy to dodge actually, and the last one you can just jump over. Then you pray. You pray he doesn't spam his fucking mines!

Or you can just run off the edge of the platform and hang on the side of it to avoid almost every attack he has. Not really a sporting strategy but it's really easy to do.

My issues with the actual analog on the controller aside, I have no trouble actually controlling strider with it. Movement is on point as far as I've been able to experience so far.

Yeah, the analog movement is fine. It's the combination of the resistance of the PS4's analogs and having to move all the way left or right for extended periods of time that is fatiguing the fuck out of my left thumb :(

I mean, I seriously can't believe how much I adore the PS4 EXCEPT the actual Dualshock4.
As I said in another thread I made, I'm team Sony all the way at this point, but I actually prefer the XboxOne controller.

Are you playing in stereo?
The game sounds awful in surround as most of the sound affects are super loud in the rear channels, and everything from the front speakers is faint.
It's so annoying actually that it has stopped me from buying it until i replay the demo with headphones.

I've been playing Strider in a 3.0 front setup with some pretty decent speakers and I haven't noticed a lack of punch in the game. Obviously it isn't BF4 but it certainly doesn't sound hollow.

I actually had to turn it down a bit when the (early spoilers)
dragon boss ripped through

Note: I have my speakers set to full range with no subwoofer present. Also, PS4 version.

good god..i had the meanest slowdown on the second level. I thought it was a feature to show off how cool he is as a ninja. Played almost through the whole thing until i had to reboot my ps4 and found out that it was just a glitch.

Really happy with the game so far, started on hard but swapped to normal.

I kinda wish I stayed on hard, but I imagine I'll be doing another run for Speed Demon so I'll just play the game on hard then.

Ashtar

Thanks to everyone who tuned in, I had fun playing.
Not sure how I feel about spending 15 bucks on this though.

R0ckman

Hard mode is like kid icarus hard, where it's only hard because you start out so weak. Once you power up and find abilities you start wrecking everything. I died a few times in the beginning then got the hang of things and haven't died since, even during encounters with bosses.

Hit a bug during when fighting the oroboros boss where I was invisible and just floating in the air at the start of the battle.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I've been playing Strider in a 3.0 front setup with some pretty decent speakers and I haven't noticed a lack of punch in the game. Obviously it isn't BF4 but it certainly doesn't sound hollow.

I actually had to turn it down a bit when the (early spoilers)
dragon boss ripped through

Note: I have my speakers set to full range with no subwoofer present. Also, PS4 version.

In that case I think it is just a surround mix issue.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hit a bug during when fighting the oroboros boss where I was invisible and just floating in the air at the start of the battle.

There's quite a bit of jank in this game, which is a shame because the gameplay itself is rather tight. Like I use the downward attack to smash into a series of grates in the ground and when I hit the bottom I...teleported to the top of the shaft.

And a later boss in the game died but...kind of wiggled in place for 10 seconds before doing it's death animation. Still it's nothing too big. I am really into this. Really, really into this. There's a lot more color and variety in the levels, that I expected.

Only had time to spend about 20 minutes with it but I like it so far. Although I hope there is some skill to block projectiles later? Seriously it's almost like bullet hell when you get a bunch of enemies on screen at once.

Lexikon

Neo Member
Only had time to spend about 20 minutes with it but I like it so far. Although I hope there is some skill to block projectiles later? Seriously it's almost like bullet hell when you get a bunch of enemies on screen at once.

Yeah don't worry, you'll get that fairly early.

tbm24

Yeah, the analog movement is fine. It's the combination of the resistance of the PS4's analogs and having to move all the way left or right for extended periods of time that is fatiguing the fuck out of my left thumb :(

I mean, I seriously can't believe how much I adore the PS4 EXCEPT the actual Dualshock4.
As I said in another thread I made, I'm team Sony all the way at this point, but I actually prefer the XboxOne controller.

I'm indifferent towards either console but got a PS4 mostly because it was cheaper and I didn't have that much money to burn in a single month. I don't mind the controller all that much but I have grown to really hate the analog on it. Part of my wishes I waited and got strider on steam instead. I could use my 360 controller and probably be immediately relieved. Though, I guess I could use my ps4 controller on the pc as well and just map the movement keys to the d-pad. Hmmmmm.....

I'm indifferent towards either console but got a PS4 mostly because it was cheaper and I didn't have that much money to burn in a single month. I don't mind the controller all that much but I have grown to really hate the analog on it. Part of my wishes I waited and got strider on steam instead. I could use my 360 controller and probably be immediately relieved. Though, I guess I could use my ps4 controller on the pc as well and just map the movement keys to the d-pad. Hmmmmm.....

I recommend using the Vita if you have one

I'm curious how many of these reviews were from people who had fond memories of the Strider series and how many were from people who have never played Strider. I wonder how much nostalgia affected their scores and impressions. I've never played any Strider games, but this game looks awesome as a hardcore precision action platformer.

Oh, and from IGN's review
Part of the reason progression through Strider can at times sprint face-first into a screaming wall of frustration is due to the lack of a recharging health bar.
Right, okay. Sometime regenerating health works, but a game like this, not so much. That's not a negative by a long shot.

Respawn

Banned
Guys, I don't know which console to purchase this on. PS4 or XB1. Is there any advantage to purchasing it on one or the other. If not, I guess I'll get it on XB1 since that's where my GamerScore collection is at, I usually use my PS4 for exclusives but seeing that a lot of games are 1080P on PS4 and generally look better, it's a tough decision.
Not sure if serious. You answered your own question.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Asking for confirmation if it's easy to go back and get all the collectables after you've finished the game, or if there's some option that reviewers missed. Anyone who's beat it know?

Top Bottom