• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

The game releases on Steam tomorrow

This is really confusing if you're not in the US though because the game release date is usually adjusted for your time zone, meaning when Strider read "19th" I assumed it was releasing the same time as the console versions. Why isn't it on the same day? Why the fuck would I preorder it if I can't play it at the same time as everyone else?

SegaShack

Guys, I don't know which console to purchase this on. PS4 or XB1. Is there any advantage to purchasing it on one or the other. If not, I guess I'll get it on XB1 since that's where my GamerScore collection is at, I usually use my PS4 for exclusives but seeing that a lot of games are 1080P on PS4 and generally look better, it's a tough decision.
Go by controller.

This game looks pretty neat, but I would be much more tempted if this were on vita, which it seems perfect for. How does it stack up against Guacamelee?

I don't know why would you?

Dunno m8. Probably because of what I said in the rest of the post you're quoting? The whole premise of my coming into this thread is telling everyone they can cancel their preorder thanks to Steam's new customer-friendly policies that mean I don't have to precisely research shit like this when purchasing bideogames.

Yeah, but the mixing is weird. Like the sound effects are very faint, and the music is kinda baseless.

It has volume adjustments. I find the overall game audio to be very lacking.

Thanks for the quick replies. Strider always had fairly dramatic impact sound effects and such. Bummer to hear the new one isn't an audio tour de force, but downloadable title and all that jazz.

Expectations tempered.

rhino4evr

As a long time strider fan since the genesis, and even NES. And a Long time Metroid fan. This is right up my alley. I think the game nailed the quickness of the first game. The longer you sit still the more you'll get shot. Your character isn't invincible, just fast enough to avoid most damage.

Teknoman

Thanks for the quick replies. Strider always had fairly dramatic impact sound effects and such. Bummer to hear the new one isn't an audio tour de force, but downloadable title and all that jazz.

Expectations tempered.

Thats no excuse, Bionic Commando Rearmed was top notch audio.

Sophia

Anyone tried the PS4 demo with Remote Play? For some reason the game literally slows down after a few minutes of play. It's not merely the Vita either. I can see the slowdown happening on the TV when Remote Play is active and continues to slow down until the application is restarted. o_O;

I thought it was just my end at first, but someone else on Twitter confirmed the slowdown happening with them too.

eliochip

About an hour and a half in. The game feels great. Very fast paced. Looks great too

I like it. This is my first Strider game. I don't know If I should bother with the previous ones but I'm sort of interested

About an hour and a half in. The game feels great. Very fast paced. Looks great too

I like it. This is my first Strider game. I don't know If I should bother with the previous ones but I'm sort of interested

Strider 1=yes
Strider NES=maybe, if you understand it is more metroidvania than frenetic platformer
Strider 2 (PS1)=yes, but it is easy
Strider Returns=no
Osman=yes
Moon Diver=maybe

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone tried the PS4 demo with Remote Play? For some reason the game literally slows down after a few minutes of play. It's not merely the Vita either. I can see the slowdown happening on the TV when Remote Play is active and continues to slow down until the application is restarted. o_O;

I thought it was just my end at first, but someone else on Twitter confirmed the slowdown happening with them too.

I can confirm that the game does slow down for some reason if you're using Remote Play.

Shin-Ra

I always find it strange when games mix such obviously low-res 2D art with the rest. Start the demo up and the first thing you're greeted with are Capcom and Double Helix logos that look like they were pulled from a budget PS2 game. The background of the main menu (dark so harder to tell) and lots of the popup screens during gameplay (especially the boss intros) mix high and low-res art as if it was finalised for much lower resolution platforms. Just gives the presentation an unnecessary cheapness.

Also found it funny that the demo starts up really quickly (as game startups go) but when you die and it reloads a checkpoint, it takes much longer than you'd expect.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This game is getting more and more "metroidvania" the further I get into it, only with more platforming/climbing and way more action in comparison to those games. The developers have done a really good job with the game progression; new enemies and stage hazards get introduced as you go along. Mini-bosses you encounter also start showing up as regular enemies. This is a really good game for fifteen bucks; I'm impressed with it and pleasantly surprised at how good of a job Double Helix did.

The only real complaint I have right now is with dialog. One of the enemies will constantly talk in some sections, and the text box covers up the bottom portion of the screen. It can get a bit annoying when you're moving downward.

Ok, I blazed through the demo and had a lot of fun with it. How much game am I looking at here? I'm definitely interested but I just want to be sure I'll be getting a little meat.

This game is getting more and more "metroidvania" the further I get into it, only with more platforming/climbing and way more action in comparison to those games. The developers have done a really good job with the game progression; new enemies and stage hazards get introduced as you go along. Mini-bosses you encounter also start showing up as regular enemies. This is a really good game for fifteen bucks; I'm impressed with it and pleasantly surprised at how good of a job Double Helix did.

The only real complaint I have right now is with dialog. One of the enemies will constantly talk in some sections, and the text box covers up the bottom portion of the screen. It can get a bit annoying when you're moving downward.

Gonna be a damn shame that this dev will be stuck making Confection Smash Legend forever

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
He must be playing on easy or normal.

I'm playing on hard and , believe me, if you don't play well you fucking die.

It's not especially hard but it forces you to dodge projectiles and stuff like that.

I'm only half watching the quick look because I'm pretty sure I will be buying it, but he just died repeatedly to an early boss and he's already beaten the game. Sounds like there's at least a small incentive to play well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Jeff Gerstmann: "There's no real incentive to play well."

:/ That doesn't sound great.

After playing the demo on normal and breezing through it, I could see how this might be the case, but put it on hard and you'll have to play fairly well until you get a few health upgrades.

I'm a couple hours into the game now and my incentive to "play well" is simply that it's fun to kill every enemy as fast as possible. I don't need the constant threat of death to make it feel more meaningful. Also, some of the checkpoints fucking suck, so I'm happy to not die.

I also agree with the complaint that the dialogue overlay is highly intrusive and completely pointless. A real dumb design decision. Overall though I'm having a great time with the game.

AmyS

This year would be the 25th anniversary of the original Strider coin-op arcade machine's release (1989).

QYi4xeS.jpg

vtdeE9v.jpg

Yeah you should play that, by any means that you're able to.

(i.e. Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 on PS2 and original Xbox (CCC Remixed on PSP), MAME or other emulation, etc etc.)

The Mega Drive / Genesis port was really good too, for its time.

AmyS

Good to know, stuff I bolded.

Now that my FFXIV beta has downloaded and dinner is over with, going back to play more Strider.

MrMephistoX

He must be playing on easy or normal.

I'm playing on hard and , believe me, if you don't play well you fucking die.

It's not especially hard but it forces you to dodge projectiles and stuff like that.

Sounds about right I was just about to ask if there was a difficulty select option: thanks! I guess developers still feel like they need to make normal easy and easy toddler level.

Top Bottom