• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fucking EPIC!

Analog controls are a non-issue (IMO).

The only things I don't like are the checkpoint system (it's not bad or anything, but I consider it an archaic mechanism in general) and the fact that you can't keep playing from where you left off in the demo if you unlock the full version. Instead, you have to start over. No biggie though. This game is all about old-school reflexes and pattern memorization (at least so far), so I'll breeze right through it the second time.

Yea my first death on the snake boss sent me right back to the checkpoint and I quit out. I did buy the game after so I'll give it another go later.

Kind of wish there was more oomph behind your swipes. More tactile response or feedback...felt more satisfying carving enemies in half in the original game compared to how enemy death is handled here. Not bad so far, but presentation, UI, menus, seems a bit on the cheap side.

Voror

What's up with the PS4 demo? I went to the section on the store where it's at, but the page only has the option to get the full game?

Adam Blue

I've played plenty of games on a 2D-plane with analog, no problem. It's really not THAT bad with Strider, but it is noticeable. I do catch myself accidentally slicing over an enemies head on an incline because of it, or even not jumping in the wrong direction because the analog stick happened to slip in the wrong position at the moment. But also, I haven't played ANY 2D-plane games with the DS4.

So, it could just be the DS4.

Back to the game itself - I love how challenging and fast-paced it is. It really nails the atmosphere and feel of the original Strider very well.

VanWinkle

I'm personally not getting any analog. If you slowly move the stick up and down while running and attacking, only at a certain point will it move to the next animation (diagonal), then it has range before the next (completely up or down). Same with crouching.

If I'm wrong, then forgive me...could be bad at detecting analog or something.

Well, I mean that your walking/running speed will change depending on how far you're pushing the analog stick forward.

Silky

Banned
Analog control isn't a big deal to me if there's a reason why I can use D-Pad. at the same time? An option would be nice

Adam Blue

Well, I mean that your walking/running speed will change depending on how far you're pushing the analog stick forward.

Ah, yes - you are right. Interesting to see if that has an affect on gameplay. I was just full on playing it like old-school Strider, blasting through enemies!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What's up with the PS4 demo? I went to the section on the store where it's at, but the page only has the option to get the full game?

I found it by going to "New games this month" which tiles out everything put onto the store in Feb. Both demo and full game were listed in that view. (You can prob just do a word search too)

Sony's store layout needs work as even that is a few too many clicks to discover. I didn't even see it listed in the proper demo section.

Apparently you use the d-pad to switch between skills or something later on, so it's not used for movement for obvious reasons.

A more elegant option would be like Dragon's Crown where the user has the option to move with either the D-Pad or the analog stick and select consumables with the other.

Apparently you use the d-pad to switch between skills or something later on, so it's not used for movement for obvious reasons.

I would rather use the analog stick to switch skills. Choice > no choice

Puppeteer was the same way as Strider by default and they gave us the choice to switch it.

S1kkZ

is someone else having issues with the soundmix? i played through the japanes ps4 demo 3 times, with no issues. the full us versions sfx track is so silent, that i can barely hear anything. even when i tone down the music in the options, its still weird and silent.

AmyS

I didn't play the demo, just bought the game. There was already an update immediately.

Been playing for about 15 min now. Absolutely fucking lovin' this -- whereas I did not really enjoy Strider 2 Arcade/PS1 all that much back in 1999-2000, I bought PS1 Strider 2 mainly for the port of the original arcade included on the 2nd disc (labeling got switched).

The new game's controls seem fine to me so far, though everyone will (already do) have a different opinion on that.

So far, the visuals & atmosphere / backgrounds are just, beyond incredible.

Megasoum

Banned
Well.... I just got completely owned twice by the first...boss? I guess he's a boss..he has a little intro...anyway. Sucks to have to go through the whole level everything you time... Think I'll pass for now.

Downloading now, game has the coolest fucking icon on the ps4.

EDIT: the psn icon, dashboard is just the logo and a white background. shame since that cover art is godlike.

Well.... I just got completely owned twice by the first...boss? I guess he's a boss..he has a little intro...anyway. Sucks to have to go through the whole level everything you time... Think I'll pass for now.
You shouldn't have to go through the whole level. You probably missed a checkpoint somewhere.

Speevy

Banned
Okay, this is total bullshit. I clicked on the demo to try it, and without realizing it, it added the game to my cart.
I went to purchase another game and now I have to pay for this too. What the hell?

I'm at a part where there are
two building walls with electricity covering both walls.
Are there little red lines? If so, do a slide attack.

If it's the other kind of electrical mechanism, hold down the attack button until you get a charge. That should open it.

I didn't play the demo, just bought the game. There was already an update immediately.

Been playing for about 15 min now. Absolutely fucking lovin' this -- whereas I did not really enjoy Strider 2 Arcade/PS1 all that much back in 1999-2000, I bought PS1 Strider 2 mainly for the port of the original arcade included on the 2nd disc (labeling got switched).

The new game's controls seem fine to me so far, though everyone will (already do) have a different opinion on that.

So far, the visuals & atmosphere / backgrounds are just, beyond incredible.

Man. I remember that! Lol.

I also remember the disappointment of not being able to play the Strider 2 disc because it had copy protection built in. I had bought a modded PS1 so I could play the import version of Dragonball GT Final Bout.

Dante316

I might be in the minority here. After playing the demo, its a no purchase for me. I didn't like the graphics design. Everything is shiny. The game play seems boring. Running and pressing square constantly. I just felt dull and bored.

Top Bottom