• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
After hearing about how easy this game is, I decided to run with hard mode. I am getting STOMPED lol I have already started this quest and I cannot turn back now.

KiraXD

Not sure if serious. You answered your own question.

To be fair... he didnt really... id be torn too, since im a trophy whore id be hard pressed to get a game on a different console unless it was the better version.

Which is better XB1 or PS4 version? are there any graphical/resolution/textural/loading time differences?

hTF2H5Q.jpg

These are really obtrusive subtitles.

VariantX

I'm curious how many of these reviews were from people who had fond memories of the Strider series and how many were from people who have never played Strider. I wonder how much nostalgia affected their scores and impressions. I've never played any Strider games, but this game looks awesome as a hardcore precision action platformer.

Oh, and from IGN's review

Right, okay. Sometime regenerating health works, but a game like this, not so much. That's not a negative by a long shot.

Also, regenerating health is pointless in because all enemies give you some amount of health when killed + floating health/energy containers are everywhere. The problem isnt the health, its getting hit in the first place. As you go further and further in the game, it just gets easier and easier to not get hit because of all the upgrades you're picking up.

IGN said:
Part of the reason progression through Strider can at times sprint face-first into a screaming wall of frustration is due to the lack of a recharging health bar.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

…Like, do you want ANY sort of challenge anymore!?

jesus….

To be fair... he didnt really... id be torn too, since im a trophy whore id be hard pressed to get a game on a different console unless it was the better version.

Which is better XB1 or PS4 version? are there any graphical/resolution/textural/loading time differences?

I'm playing on X1; I've only seen footage of the PS4 but they look identical to me.

I'd honestly be pretty disappointed if they weren't as this game isn't demanding by any stretch.

Eusis

Both are 1080p/60fps

It's available on XB1 now. I'm downloading it at this moment.
Heh, the lack of D-Pad control (for now?) might make XB1 preferable anyway.

I tried the demo, don't think I'll want this right away. I'll keep an eye on impressions though.

This game is bad ass.

So smooth, so quick, so Strider.

Its like I'm eight years old again, only better, stronger, more productive and with far more pixels. And sparks too. Gotta have the sparks.

At moments like this I have no problems spending $400 on the worlds best retro gaming reboot console.

Thank you very much. And thank you Double Helix and company. More, please. Tickle my inner retro arcade gamer, but with modern niceties.

This game is bad ass.

So smooth, so quick, so Strider.

Its like I'm eight years old again, only better, stronger, more productive and with far more pixels. And sparks too. Gotta have the sparks.

At moments like this I have no problems spending $400 on the worlds best retro gaming reboot console.

Thank you very much. And thank you Double Helix and company. More, please. Tickle my inner retro arcade gamer, but with modern niceties.

Amen brother

I highly recommend people who haven't ever done so, go back and place OG Strider and a little bit of NES Strider.

Double Helix really did give a shit here <3

Playing the PS3 demo. Looks like I'll definitely be keeping that pre-order of the JP physical release.

Man, a (decent) Strider game in 2014. Didn't see that coming. Much less from Double Helix.

I agree with IGN's sentiment that the design gets stale. I am nearing end of game nearly 4 hrs in and am wanting it to be over.

Well…. did you play it like an IGN reviewer? IE: have you been marathoning it?

I played it for 20 minutes and will playing it in bursts throughout the next few days. I ain't in a hurry. We've waiting too long for this...

The Flash

Banned
To be fair, how much is this Double Helix and how much was strict supervision from Capcom Japan?

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

All I know is that they helped reboot two really old franchises and did a pretty good job at it. Imagine if they got put in charge of Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, or Perfect Dark.

jaosobno

It's probably too early to ask, but does anyone know how easy/hard it is to platinum this game? I want to earn my first PS4 plat and this looks like reasonably fun and not too long game to do it.

Footos22

Is there a way to get back to the early levels later on?
I missed a powerup before dropping down to a boss fight and its impossible to get back up due to the electrified wall.

AmyS

Got a solid hour+ of focused play, but still merely toying with the first couple areas. I have not read too much about how the level(s) are truly structured. Really just wanna experience that for myself, first hand. Fought the first boss. Got to realize there is indeed Metroid-Vania elements, not far into it. Apparently more further in.

I can honestly say to myself at least, as far as gameplay, visuals, style and overall atmosphere & backgrounds, this is now my personal favorite Strider in probably every aspect.

While not a fan of the analog-only controls, that doesn't bother me much.

Soooo fast, sooo smooth. Really a truly gorgeous looking game on PS4.

Am I glad I spent $15? Yep sure as fuck am.

Dang, it's well after 4 AM here now... just one more 1/2 hour more of this game.

Nah, make that one more full hour

G_Berry

Banned
Fucking hell Sony!!!! I want to buy this on my PS4 but it's been out like all day on XBL and you still haven't updated the Australian PS4 store.

YOU LOSE!

Ashtar

got it for the PS4, started on hard, might have been a mistake :D rare checkpoints and even basic enemies keep rapid firing!
Yeah I started on hard got my clock cleaned like 10 times in a row and restarted on normal. I'm still getting my butt kicked on normal too smh.

I tried to via browser but it always defaults to AU and I cant be fucked messing with proxy settings and to be honest, i shouldn't have to.

it defaults only if you login with your normal account.

if you have a US account, log out of your normal one, then load the US store, login with US account, buy!
(this does require prepaid PSN vouchers to add cash though still i think, i always grab a few when im the states, or buy them from Amazon)

Should I get this for PS3 or PS4? I haven't opened my PS4 yet, but I'd like to build a sizable physical library of games before I set mine up and running. I'm that way with all my consoles. I still have alot of backlog on my current gen consoles. Is there really any fundamental differences in the next gen versions of Strider so far?

wondermega

played PS3 demo - looks good. I kinda like it. After about 15min of jumping and slashing I decided to dig up the PS1 releases of it's predecessors since "it had been awhile"

Strider 2 - I never played it very much, but I really dig the style. Looks better than I remembered, and of course it has those extremely dated PS1 visuals but man - the things they were doing with level layouts for a 2.5D game were actually pretty wild and inspiring. How does one even think to design stuff like that? I've never played more than a couple of levels thru, but I plan to get my hands dirty with more of this game in the future. It's just a kick to play and like nothing else I've seen. Although I can't say that it's actually a really good game..

Strider 1 was next. I used to have this on the Genesis when I was a kid (when it was new) and man - that was interesting, actually of the 3 I played tonight it was the most captivating. I played on hard mode and it was actually fairly frustrating! But fun enough that I felt driven to see it the entire way through. I've always been of a mixed mind about the game - it's special, but also kind of crazy in a lot of ways - the way the levels shift moment-to-moment (and level to level) has always felt kind of schizophrenic to me in the way no other game has. I don't know if that is good or bad, either, but it's always been Strider's "thing" and somehow they really make the rhythm work with it. But, man, is it a janky piece. I feel like they were really rushing it out the door or something - some levels, especially later in the game, just feel like they didn't give a crap about QA. I know this was like 20 years ago we are talking, but there were plenty of seemingly "airtight" games compared to this. I guess even that looseness is, again, part of what made Strider, Strider.. Anyway, it was a fun play and I am happy to have picked it up again (and won't need to touch it again for another 10 or so!)

As for the new installment, maybe I'll give it another shot shortly. It's definitely better than Moon Diver..

Should I get this for PS3 or PS4? I haven't opened my PS4 yet, but I'd like to build a sizable physical library of games before I set mine up and running. I'm that way with all my consoles. I still have alot of backlog on my current gen consoles. Is there really any fundamental differences in the next gen versions of Strider so far?

PS3 version runs 720p/30 and next gen runs 1080p/60

Top Bottom