• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Ferr986

Damn, would like to get this one, but right now I only have a 360. Guess Im gonna wait till summer when I get a PS4. dem glorious 60 fps are worth it.

ys45

Got this yesterday for PS4 , the game is quite good so far I must say I'm impressed .
If only they could make a game like this for Castlevania series -_-

The gameplay is pretty much like Strider and it felt like a Strider game .

Wonko_C

Strider 1=yes
Strider NES=maybe, if you understand it is more metroidvania than frenetic platformer
Strider 2 (PS1)=yes, but it is easy
Strider Returns=no
Osman=yes
Moon Diver=maybe

Don't forget Run Saber=yes

Woke up early to download the demo on my almost dead 360 (it gives me 3 red lights in the middle of playing, sometimes they appear instantly, other times it can take hours to appear), I'll get it on Steam at a later date.

Anung

Un Rama
Never thought I'd buy another Double Helix game after Homecoming was terrible but I caved in anyway,

Streaming it on PS4 as well.

Gong

Had a quick blast through it and it felt fluid and a helluva lot of fun. Looking forward to getting properly stuck in later on today.

It's up now, but.. no demo for the PS4 version?
looks like. Shows Trial + unlock for PS3, but only the full game for PS4.

Assuming they are both identical apart from graphics? So I could use the demo for PS3 to decide if I want to buy, and then buy on PS4?
For the third time, I'll post this link.

I wish someone could add it to the OP.

dcx4610

I was a huge Strider fan as a kid and I love the new one but something feels slightly off. I think Guacamelee was the better Metroidvania game but this one is no slouch.

JoeFenix

58uzjpL.jpg

That Double Helix quality!

The more I play it the more I dislike it. It's decent but nothing more, so many questionable design decisions.

Playing this game on hard, it's brutal mostly because you can't block attacks. On the first boss if I want to get the health above the room it's too awkward to climb up jump and hit them quickly enough.

Fun so far but no block is really annoying.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Someone post links to the soundtrack if they have it uploaded.

Please don't disappoint me GAF

Randam

Is this game comparable to guacamelee?
Because that was #2 on my goty list.
Even bought the special edition for pc after already having played it on my PS3.

Dropped a few very excited hours on Strider last night. Took the advice of several review sites and started the game on Hard mode, and I'm having a blast with it. Not sure how far into the game I am, but I'm at 8/10 Health upgrades thus far, and I started seeing a lot of shuriken doors, so that's probably the next big upgrade.

Also, 60fps on the PS4 looks terrific

I'm curious how many of these reviews were from people who had fond memories of the Strider series and how many were from people who have never played Strider. I wonder how much nostalgia affected their scores and impressions. I've never played any Strider games, but this game looks awesome as a hardcore precision action platformer.

Oh, and from IGN's review

Right, okay. Sometime regenerating health works, but a game like this, not so much. That's not a negative by a long shot.

Wat? Next thing you know, IGN will give fighting games automatic 1/10 for not having recharging health bars. lol

Footos22

Even bought the special edition for pc after already having played it on my PS3.

Kind of in the way the levels are set up. I'm loving the shit out of It and guacamelee was one of my favourite games last year also.

Xater

Playing this on hard was definitely the right way to go. My only issue right now is tha ti have no clue how to get back to previous areas.

Any way to turn off the overlay when someone speaks? it really blocks the playing area a fair bit with a bright orange box for no reason at all, especially when background voices repeat.

RyudBoy

[QUOTE="D";101456957]Someone post links to the soundtrack if they have it uploaded.

Please don't disappoint me GAF[/QUOTE]

I'm having a blast and absolutely love the game, but if I had to make one complaint, it would be the music (or lack of). Other than a couple of recognizable tunes from the original Strider, there isn't much to hear. Disappointing, but it's a minor fault.

It seems surprisingly hard to get unstuck from walls at times.

I think that's happening is that it wants a hard movement away from the wall so it doesn't get confused with going up or down. It's very, very easy to not get it exactly right with an analog stick, though.

Don't know why they didn't just have a D-Pad option.

dcx4610

Should I get this for PS3 or PS4? I haven't opened my PS4 yet, but I'd like to build a sizable physical library of games before I set mine up and running. I'm that way with all my consoles. I still have alot of backlog on my current gen consoles. Is there really any fundamental differences in the next gen versions of Strider so far?

I don't see a reason not to get it on the PS4. 1080p/60fps, more graphical effects and a better controller.

dcx4610

I liked Guacamelee better but they are similar except Strider is straight up action unlike Guacamelee where you had to talk to people at times.

Run around, kill enemies, fight bosses, fill in the map, find secrets, upgrade your abilities. If you liked Guacamelee, Metroid or any of the later exploration Castlevania games, you'll like this.

Aeana

When I open the game, I get the Capcom logo and sometimes the Double Helix logo and then the game crashes. Tried disabling D3DOverrider and Afterburner but neither helped. :\ Also tried verifying the cache, no good.

Bought this yesterday and I love it. It's annoying sometimes if you don't know where to go (I don't play with volume so they very well could be telling me) but I'm having an absolute blast playing this. For us to have this high quality 15 dollar game on PS4 is awesome. Not everything next gen has to be expensive to be fun.

Wonko_C

Direct X11 only!? That can't be true. Do they think this is Crysis 3 or something? My GTX285 should be able to handle this game with plenty to spare.

PS4 or PC? Kinda tough to decide since they seem Identical.

Here's how I look at it:

If you have the choice and controls aren't a factor, then PC. That version will probably still work on a PC in 10 years. PS4 version on PS5 or 6? Far less likely. And you'll probably double-dip on PC during some sale anyway so why not just buy it on PC to start with?

Here's how I look at it:

If you have the choice and controls aren't a factor, then PC. That version will probably still work on a PC in 10 years. PS4 version on PS5 or 6? Far less likely. And you'll probably double-dip on PC during some sale anyway so why not just buy it on PC to start with?

At that point, he might as well get it now on the PS4 if he's acting for it and THEN buy it on the PC once it hits Steam Sale Status.

rofl at this port. i cant select 1080p(the game selects 720p for some reason) but i can use all resolutions after that up to 4k just fine.

EDIT: It looks pretty good when downsampled though. will post some screenshots.
Both downsampled from 4K.

fernoca

Got this on Xbox One! (since the PS4 version was the same aside Remote Play, and wanted to expand the digital library on the One).
So far, so awesome. Love how it basically throws you right into the game without explanations and controller prompts.

Top Bottom