• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Huggers

Dudes. Just got this. So excited, haven't played a Strider game in 20 odd years. Is everyone playing on hard? Should I?

bumpkin

Downloaded the demo on PS4 last night, but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Since the wife was watching her TV shows, I was going to fire up my Vita and get my Remote Play on. Too bad I didn't realize my Vita was dead and needed to be recharged first. :(

Tonight I'm definitely going to give it a whirl and see what I think. Since I have $10 chillin' in my PSN wallet from getting my PS4, I'm actually thinking about double dipping on XB1 too; you know, show my support of such projects by letting my wallet do the talking. Between the $10 on PSN and the $3 I have on XBL, it'd only cost me $17 for both versions out-of-pocket. Not bad at all.

Heck, I double dipped on Daytona USA w/o any sort of preexisting credit to burn.

Jubbly

3840x2160 downsampled to 1920x1080:

striderx64_r2014-02-1qzkhd.png

Original screenshot: http://abload.de/img/striderx64_r2014-02-1drkx5.png

JoeFenix

Hard is definitely the way to go, normal is ridiculously easy. You can just barrel through everything without even trying.

Hard mode makes the game more enjoyable.

Oh and for people looking to collect everything, the game has missable items.

The [Balrog Airship] area near the end of the game isn't accessible after you finish it. There's 4-5 Large Health Crates in there that count towards your completion %, make sure to grab them while you're there!

Kadin

Direct X11 only!? That can't be true. Do they think this is Crysis 3 or something? My GTX285 should be able to handle this game with plenty to spare.
I have the same video card. Game is installing right now, what do I need to prepare myself for? I have DX11 installed but obviously the card doesn't direct support 11's features. Did I just waste $15? :(

Hard feels really challenging at the very beginning but by the 3rd boss I was tanking hits like a boss with only 3 HP upgrades, long way to go though.

legbone

dammit. told myself i wouldn't let my backlog get out of control on the ps4. told myself i would not by this until i finished ac4. played the demo and sure enough here i am with a backlog. fuck my impulsive ways. great game though. reminds me of my youth striding along slashing fools.

SkylineRKR

Game is excellent so far, just got the double jump and quit.

I play on Normal but I do die now and then. You have to clear sections, the game does throw you back a bit if you die. It does get much easier now that I have some upgrades though.

Direct X11 only!? That can't be true. Do they think this is Crysis 3 or something? My GTX285 should be able to handle this game with plenty to spare.

Game doesn't even look like it has any DX11 specific features like Tesselation that'd warrant its exclusivity. In fact, it being also available for the older gen consoles (PS360) means that they could've easily targetted it down for DX9.0c cards but chose not to.

64bit only support is also pretty odd, but acceptable.

Bah, I'm bummed that I'll have to play this on my desktop instead of my oldish DX10 laptop which I prefer for mobility.

Game doesn't even look like it has any DX11 specific features like Tesselation that'd warrant its exclusivity. In fact, it being also available for the older gen consoles (PS360) means that they could've easily targetted it down for DX9.0c cards but chose not to.

64bit only support is also pretty odd, but acceptable.

Bah, I'm bummed that I'll have to play this on my desktop instead of my oldish DX10 laptop which I prefer for mobility.
Damn it, that's the issue? A waste of $12 then for me. I checked and can run up DX10 on my laptop. Most games on medium settings are fine for me. I didn't think a 2D platformer like this would have an issue like this.

Damn, I thought having DX11 installed would be okay, didn't realize there was a difference between having DX11 and having DX11 hardware

AmyS

Man, now more so than last night, I've really seen the reason for the talk about backtracking and metroidvania in Strider. I need whatever weapon to break through the red barriers. Looks like I haven't scratched the surface yet. Literally.

No handholding from the game, and no spoilers please.

Can't believe this game was only 15 bucks.

Damn it, that's the issue? A waste of $12 then for me. I checked and can run up DX10 on my laptop, and most games on medium settings. I didn't think a 2D platformer like this would have an issue like this.

Damn, I thought having DX11 installed would be good, didn't realize there was a difference between having DX11 and having DX11 hardware
Unless you prefer waiting to see if they'll fix this, it would be a fairly convincing argument to return the game on steam.

But I didn't get it from Steam, got it through Gamefly because it was discounted there :(
Damn...Well, maybe you could try talking to gamefly support? it's still a good argument. I Don't remember reading the game would be DX11 exclusive anywhere, so it isn't a case where you were misinformed or didn't research before buying it.

Kadin

I'm a good bit bummed because I too don't have a DX11 card. I got it from GMG for $12 so I'll just keep it in my Steam library for now for when I do eventually upgrade the card. I'll probably pick the game up this afternoon on my 360, I liked what I saw in the demo.

Slightly off topic, any recommendations on a decent DX11 card that will still work with my C2D E8500 in a PCIe 2.0 slot? Not sure if that's still the norm (slot).

AmyS

Is there any genuine footage of the 360 and/or PS3 versions out there?

PS4 here, but I'd like to see what it looks like at half the framerate, out of nothing more than sheer curiosity.

Started last night on hard and loving it. I didn't try normal or easy, but feel like hard should be what the default is. There's enough damage being thrown at you where you have to make some effort to dodge, but its not overwhelming.

R0ckman

Anyone else find the human 3D models a bit strange looking, particularly the wind chicks. Strider looks a tad funky too honestly, a bit "stiff" I guess?

Silky

Banned
Is there any genuine footage of the 360 and/or PS3 versions out there?

PS4 here, but I'd like to see what it looks like at half the framerate, out of nothing more than sheer curiosity.

Most of the footage shown is PS3/360 footy. It's basically less particles, no hair effects, and a locked 30 in framerate.

Melchiah

Not a bad game in itself, but the checkpoints are too far between, and I don't really fancy the fact that enemies spawn again even if you just go few steps away.

Great game! However, it looks like it's impossible to bind movement to the d-pad on the PC version. In the binds_pc.cfg file, movement is described as "forward" and "backward" which do not map correctly to the up and down buttons on the d-pad-- it gets weird, like down is up in the game, and you can only crouch if pressing left-down on the d-pad.

Has anyone else tried? I might be missing something, but I think it's just the nature of the game since movements aren't mapped to 8-directions (to account for cypher slash angles).

Top Bottom