• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Played PS4 demo, its a great game for sure but I don't have time for it right now.

A few things bugged me:
- Unskippable cutscenes
- Lengthy load times on reload
- No D-Pad support (a crime since its so good on PS4!)

I'd like the D-Pad updated but that's highly doubtful considering Amazon bought them. Wouldn't put me off buying it though, just not at the moment.

Codiox

Played the demo and really liked it. Am i right that this game is somethink metroidvania like? For me it seems so because the map and upgrades.

Load times are surprising.

They're not obscene by any means, but it does take longer than you'd expect.

Haven't had a problem with cutscenes yet - the bosses have all had very quick splash intro graphics ala Borderlands, but that's about it.

Does it get bad as you go further into the game? Am still in the early going (just got option C).

Nuke Soda

About an hour in and having a lot of fun. Playing on Normal, but this is my first Strider game so I don't want to play on hard without learning the ropes first.

Load times are surprising.

They're not obscene by any means, but it does take longer than you'd expect.

Haven't had a problem with cutscenes yet - the bosses have all had very quick splash intro graphics ala Borderlands, but that's about it.

Does it get bad as you go further into the game? Am still in the early going (just got option C).

The only issue I have with boss introductions is when they reintroduce enemies or ones that have color changes and one new attack and get a whole new intro. It kind of hits the pacing of the game because I'd rather just see the guy's new attack.

Any way to turn off the overlay when someone speaks? it really blocks the playing area a fair bit with a bright orange box for no reason at all, especially when background voices repeat.
Yes, this shit needs to disappear.

Liked the first hour or so, but I'm feeling a little bothered by something and I can't quite pinpoint what that is. I get the feeling that I'll be able to articulate my feeling by game's end.

Dahbomb

Started on Hard of course, not having much of a problem. I am up to the part where enemies are now red in color.

Some issues with the game:

*Can't hold up and then jump (at least on Keyboard, may not be an issue on controller). This has caused me to get hit more times than I should've.

*Can't customize controls in the menu.

*I don't know how far I am into the game but so far the enemy variety has been pretty bad. Its like you face 3 basic types of enemies (a flying or attached turret, a regular grunt and a heavy enemy). The regular grunt has different weapons like a Shield, regular gun, MG, shotgun and sniper rifle variants but you dispatch of them the same way. After a while they change colors which means they are tougher than normal which is just old school way of milking enemy variety (ie palette swaps with perks).

*No mission ranking system or performance evaluation of any kind that I have seen. My guess is that its only reserved for the challenge modes. That said this game is not just bullet sponge through enemies on Hard mode, you have to avoid stuff so you can do no damage runs.

*Strider doesn't turn around fast enough and doesn't jump off ledges fast enough which results in combat problems where you are jumping around, accidentally hook to the wall and can't get out without pressing R or jump. The slow turn around means you waste precious time turning around to attack with a charge attack by that time the enemy or boss can attack again so you have to avoid them.

*The text overlay problem. Really annoying.

*Random slowdowns although that ends up helping you a lot in this game as far as avoiding stuff.

Game is still pretty fun and controls well enough. It does have its.issues but for 15 bucks its solid. I think Hard is the way to go for sure although checkpoint system is a bit wonky.

Really liking it so far. Has a good amount of minor issues (enemy respawns, controls sometimes being a little unresponsive, voices being crazy buried in the mix, no d-pad movement) But, it's super fun so far (about an hour in).

My biggest complaint is how filled with worthless collectibles the game is. I don't give a fuck about concept art. That shit shouldn't be the main hidden item in the game. Super lame to spend time filling in your map only to find mostly concept art.

yatesl

Is it worth £10 ($17)? I want it, but in a world where that can buy me 20 other side scrolling platform games, it's hard to justify not waiting for a Steam sale.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
how long is the game?has any replayability?

So if you fight this boss fast enough, he'll be talking at times when you actually need to see yourself and the ground to avoid attacks.

Bg3AKv9CMAEc1sN.jpg:large

Probably just going to turn subtitles off. This is the dumbest implementation I have seen in a long time.

Tizoc

Game runs and looks great on my laptop!
One problem though: How do I resign the key layout?! I don't like Spacebar as jump and S as attack is there a way to remap them?

213372bu

Banned
Wow, I 'm really impressed by the game. It has tons of cool content and it looks like it last over 7+ hours. I thought this wouldn't be as good as promised, but I'm starting to get caught in the hype.

Can't wait to see more impressions on this.

Did DH, Capcom, and any press releases specifically say this game was DX11 only? I want to try and present my case to Gamefly support for a refund, and as far as I know, the specs said DX11, which I have installed and drivers updated, but no indication that the game could only run on DX11-compatible hardware.

Maybesew

So if you fight this boss fast enough, he'll be talking at times when you actually need to see yourself and the ground to avoid attacks.

Bg3AKv9CMAEc1sN.jpg:large

Probably just going to turn subtitles off. This is the dumbest implementation I have seen in a long time.

I defeated him this morning and every time the subtitles cleared before any actual ground danger. It was annoying at first, but I got over it. Edit: On PS4, if thats relevant.

RyudBoy

I take back the comment I made earlier about the music. In the later part of the game, they went and remade one of the original tracks into this funky ass beat. I dig it!

Silky

Banned
Did DH, Capcom, and any press releases specifically say this game was DX11 only? I want to try and present my case to Gamefly support for a refund, and as far as I know, the specs said DX11, which I have installed and drivers updated, but no indication that the game could only run on DX11-compatible hardware.

Minimum:
OS: Windows Vista SP2 x64, Windows 7 x64, Windows 8 x64
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2.83GHz / AMD Phenom II X3 720, 2.8GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 / GeForce GTX 460 or better
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 3700 MB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
Additional Notes: Integrated graphics solutions not supported. Controller recommended.

The Minimum requirement is DX11 so I would assume DX9 isn't compatable.

nded

Usually if a game's requirements don't mention other versions of DirectX, the one listed is the only one supported.

I defeated him this morning and every time the subtitles cleared before any actual ground danger. It was annoying at first, but I got over it. Edit: On PS4, if thats relevant.

I died the first time because I was still watching his attacks. The second time I went really aggressive and he was doing his multi-tiered laser attack (the one that requires you be right underneath him) while talking. I had to really squint to see where I was.

I'm also on PS4.

Damn, didn't realize there was a distinction between having DX11 installed and having DX11 hardware, so I thought I was okay.
Is that commonly known info for most PC gamers?

nded

Damn, didn't realize there was a distinction between having DX11 installed and having DX11 hardware, so I thought I was okay.
Is that commonly known info for most PC gamers?

Yeah, it can be confusing. Sometimes it's the case that the game would have no problem running in DX9, but the dev wrote it in DX10/11 and didn't bother to make it compatible. Divekick, which is essentially a flash game, is DX10 only for some reason.

Anyway, yeah, minimum DirectX version is a hardware requirement.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

lol. You need to read what you are buying. It's not only covered in the Direct X requirements portion, but the minimum graphics card as well. Customers asking for refunds out of ignorance gets pretty frustrating in retail.

It's clearly in the minimum specifications. It isn't Gamefly's problem that you have outdated PC hardware and didn't read the requirements.

The End

The PS3 version was showing its age, so I jumped on steam. I've got a 360 controller, a modern GPU, and a 1680x1050 monitor, so no problems there, but I know with DH being bought out that post-release support will be slim.

CLEEK

Hugely disappointed in this (PS4 version).

The lack of d-pad support (no doubt pandering to 360 owners) is unforgivable. The game feels like they didn't bother balancing it, so just throw health power-up at the player to counteract the cheap wall of bullets that all enemies spray at you.

It's also fucked how basic enemies take more than one hit to kill, so the age-old Strider staple of slide slashing through them doesn't work, as they take the first hit and keep shooting. This goes back to the point, where Double Helix just say fuck it, it doesn't matter, because here's some more health.

Very lazy game design, and as far removed from the razor sharp original as you can get.

Still, it looks OK, and 60fps should always be the target for twitch arcade games.

Dahbomb

It's also fucked how basic enemies take more than one hit to kill, so the age-old Strider staple of slide slashing through them doesn't work, as they take the first hit and keep shouting. this goes back to the point they, fuck it, it doesn't matter, because here's some more health.
You can attack while sliding so if you do Slide into quick slashes you can kill them. Also you can charge while sliding and release a charge slide.

This works up until the red enemy variants shows up in which case they take more hits to kill but can still be killed by slides. And the bullets aren't hard to evade especially later on when you get double jump (every enemy glows when they are about to attack anyway and you can jump over them to make them miss all the time).

Also this isn't a twitch arcade game.

Aeana

I've tried absolutely everything I can think of, and the game still crashes during the title logos. I've just about had it.

anthym

Neo Member
Used the Playstation app to download the demo while I was at work. Got home and went straight to hard mode since everyone in this thread seemed to be recommending it. It's pretty fun but I kept getting my ass kicked by the first boss. Not sure If I want to buy the game right now but maybe sometime in the future. I've got too many other games I need to finish and just bought Tomb Raider:DE on amazon yesterday during the gold box deal.

Preordered Strider through Steam and it plays fine with no problems for me at 1080p.

Didn't do anything any differently. Full screen. Not a monster rig.

JoeFenix

SUj4AXF.jpg

Working on a video guide for Remember The Fallen, some of them are pretty well hidden.

I'll check out the Survival and Time Trial modes, see if there's any thought put behind their design. I bet the game only ranks you on time because it's essentially impossible to no damage.

ArjanN

I have a DirectX 11 card and the game doesn't even boot for me. Good thing I'm juggling 6 other games so I can wait for them to patch it.

Not gonna say much, but after puttzing around in Kazakh city for the past hour or so, I'm completely done with the obtrusive, and poorly accented dialogue. Who thought it was a good idea to cover 1/5th of the screen with a massive text display that repeats the same shit over and over?

Otherwise, I'm really, really enjoying it. Game is ultra responsive and smooth as butter on my PC from 2008. Less talky, more slicey.

kyser73

PS4 & love it, even tho my arcade skills are pretty rusty!

I have completely forgotten how to charge tho, so I'm dying badly on first boss.

Salz01

Is there any way to defend against enemy fire (defend or something), or is the only answer just dodging/sliding?

You'll get an upgrade later to reflect most bullet fire if timed right.

Getting addicted to this game. I like it more than I thought I would. It's so fun to flip around and slash away at stuff. My only criticisim I have at the moment is I wish the slashing sounds made more of that schwing sound from the arcade. It's so faint in this current version. Also as some have stated the text bar at the bottom of the screen gets annoying at some parts. But otherwise love this game.

Melchiah

Normal was too hard for me, so I started again on easy. It's beyond me, why it couldn't be changed mid-game. I really hate how the checkpoints aren't located right in the beginning of the boss battles, as it's annoying to fight the last wave of enemies preceding them again. Seems pretty mediocre game to me.

Adam Blue

For owners of the game, does it compare favorably to Bionic Commando: Rearmed?

I prefer the whole layout/structure of Bionic Commando. Levels and all that.

I've been putting a lot more time into Strider, and I'm just not liking it as much as I thought (and I was hyped). I mean, it has the cool Strider movement and action, but other than that it's like a scaled-down Shadow Complex (and I think SC is a scaled-down Metroidvania). It's not a bad game, but there's nothing to it. When I last played a little bit ago, I stopped due to boredom.

Salz01

For owners of the game, does it compare favorably to Bionic Commando: Rearmed?

Personally I think its apples and oranges. Two different teams worked on the reboots. Plus BC just plays different than this. Having said that, I think I'm having more fun with this Strider than I did with the BC reboot.

Top Bottom