• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

BY2K

Membero Americo
I think I made the right choice by starting my game on hard.

Made it to the transit system and so far the game is pretty rad.

Just jumped in with the Steam version on hard. I FUCKING LOVE IT! So fast, at first I thought the animations where kind of half asseded but I realized I was canceling most of my animations and that needs to happen for him to move so damn fast.

Just beat a few bosses and yes, this game is defiantly up there for a live arcade game. I'd give it a 8.5 or a 9 out of 10. I'm wondering though how the game would have played if he actually had combos that would chain, and different animations per slash ala marvel... or like MegamanZero.

But overall it totally has a metroid feel and it makes me love the game even more, the music didn't start getting memorable till I got further into the game, and fought some bosses, but the music has a megaman / classic capcom like sound to them... but I guess remixed...

Game is great, going to dive back in! Picked up on STEAM and PS3 ( special edition has not shipped yet )

Anung

Un Rama
Loving this! Sunk 4 hours into it and I'm totally hooked. It makes me really want a Metroid Fusion 2 or something. I never thought I'd see the day that Double Helix would make a good game.

Also

Bg28cClIYAA3Edn.jpg:large

So hype!

TentPole

Seems like a few people (including Jeff Gerstmann) are a little confused on the reflect cypher. You only need to time you want to bounce lasers back at whoever shot at you. Just jamming on the attack button will still deflect shots it just wont send them back at your attackers.so anytime there is a hail of fire just switch to your first cypher upgrade and jam on the attack button. You will not take a single hit.

Played it for a bit, my only complaint being that the box of text at the bottom stays a bit too long, and kinda restricts view. Other that that...it's certainly a Strider game, through and through.

You can attack while sliding so if you do Slide into quick slashes you can kill them. Also you can charge while sliding and release a charge slide.

This works up until the red enemy variants shows up in which case they take more hits to kill but can still be killed by slides. And the bullets aren't hard to evade especially later on when you get double jump (every enemy glows when they are about to attack anyway and you can jump over them to make them miss all the time).

Also this isn't a twitch arcade game.

Playing on hard I learned to jump a lot so I can jump over and hit them from behind. I like this, I don't want to hold forward and mash A to win. Sliding through works well too, but sometimes they unload into you while you slide. Having to avoid things and work for the kill a bit is good imo. I also like that they'll melee you to stop you in your tracks sometimes.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm about two hours in and I gotta say I really enjoy it. The action is pretty great and the movement and flow is pretty awesome. It just feels good to play.

Though, I have to admit -- I wish there was more to the game itself. It's an action game - first and foremost, but I still wished they developed the exploration and setting a bit more. It seems like I'm being pushed forward, which is really odd for a metroidvania style game. I'd also like more story, because what's there is really solid.

I just want more. If this gets a sequel, I'd really love for them to go all out and flesh everything else a bit more.

H2Yo

Bought this on PS4 and played it on my Vita via the PS4 Link. It was awesome to have full surround sound from my setup while playing on a little Vita.

Chaplain

Not liking it so far. Coming from someone who mastered the arcade game in 1989, to the point of being able to beat it on one or two men, this game just hasn't clicked with me.

Been having a blast so far. I beat Gravitron and an very excited by the possibilities of the teleport dash. definitely a great purchase, one of my favorite download games in a while. Nice job Capcom + DH.

Has anyone notice some slight slowdown or is the game suppose to play that way?

This is what I came to ask, except slight is an understatement

Ps4 demo, it's still looks smooth but it turns like half speed when there's more than just strider on screen. It's awful

CLEEK

Not liking it so far. Coming from someone who mastered the arcade game in 1989, to the point of being able to beat it on one or two men, this game just hasn't clicked with me.

I'm with you, bro. My Strider love affair started with the Amiga port, which I played to death. It was rekindled when I finally go to play the arcade version in MAME, and then on PS1 and Capcom Classics.

Of the two sequels - Strider 2 on Amiga and Strider 2 on PS1, only the latter had the feel of the original, but was too disjointed. The Amiga sequel was awful.

This game has more in common with the PS1 Strider 2 than the glorious original. I initially didn't have any concerns about it turning into a Metroidvania, but should have realised that they would have to sacrifice craft and precision of the original to increase the size and scope. The original didn't need a glut of power ups, new moves and abilities. It's limited ability set was more than enough to provide a thrilling experience for the player. Less is more.

I just can't get over the fuzzy analogue controls in this version. That, more than anything, has meant it just doesn't feel like Strider, even though it sure looks like it.

XTERC

The game is great, the music and sound design is awful. The audio bothers me so much it's detracting from the experience.

I liked the demo, I'll prolly buy it after I clear out a few games from my backlog. Im not an old school strider guy tho, so maybe thatz y

Ill Saint

I just played through the demo and was sorely disappointed by how bland and rather uninspired everything seemed to be. I've followed this new version since announcement with interest and some hope, as Strider arcade is one of my most beloved games of all-time, but this just isn't doing it for me in any capacity.

Almost every screen in the original Strider was some kind awesome set-piece or inventive, memorable, acrobatic sequence with crazy mid-bosses and unexpected moments. That shit blew my mind back in the day. So, running down non-descript corridors mindlessly slashing at equally non-descript goons is not what Strider is all about to me, and that's pretty much the only thing I've seen and experienced with this version. Even the Orobouros fight, which was such a cool moment in the original game is limp and anti-climactic, to put it nicely.

I'm kind of bemused, as I'd love to appreciate this game. It controls well, Strider himself looks good and is well represented, but everything else just looks so very dull, and doesn't inspire me to hand over my cash.

pixlexic

Banned
This game is the only 2.5d game that truly recreates the feel of old school 2d for me. DH did and excellent job. With this and KI is sucks they got bought by amazon :( unless of course amazon becomes a real publisher.

Rokal

I love how this plays. ~an hour into the Steam version on Hard, and the pace of combat/movement feels perfect.

So in terms of changing colors and unlocking new costumes, is any of this available during the first playthrough, or am I going to have to beat the game before I can start messing around with Strider's look?

How is the PC performance on low end GPUs?

I have a 5770 and getting a rock solid 60 at 720p with all the effects on. Computer is 6 years old. Seems very well optimized.

Hiryu's animation when he throws a kunai is so goofy/great. It reminds me of Legend of Kage.

Arion

I have a gtx 540m which supports dx11 yet the game doesn't work for me. Is there any news of a patch I really want to play this?

Sanctuary

So does anyone know where the save is stored on PC?

edit: Found it. For anyone that cares, it's Steam\userdata\28410109\235210

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So far I really like it. I think DH nailed what they were going for here. Strider is a case where there is no "correct" version to screw up by changing it - Strider is both the arcade game, and the NES game which is very different.

This game does a great job of dramatically expanding on the metroidvania design of the NES game, while layering over the arcade game's acrobatics and fast combat. I suspect if you want this to feel just like playing arcade Strider you're going to be let down.

Play mechanics get really good as abilities unlock. It's a case of more is actually more.

The music is probably the most here-and-there aspect. The way it remixes a ton of classic tunes is very nice. The soft, vaguely dub style isn't going to appeal to everyone though. And the more bombastic version of Strider tunes could have worked very well here.

Unlockable spoiler.

Beacon runs are a blast! Can't wait to unlock more of them. To be honest, I didn't even know the game had challenge modes. It just keeps getting cooler.

Top Bottom