• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

This game feels like it has no substance.

To be fair I've only played it about 5-10minutes but I was just running through the level slashing everyone I came upon. Is that it?

Sanctuary

To be fair I've only played it about 5-10minutes but I was just running through the level slashing everyone I came upon. Is that it?

The game is about running and hitting enemies, but the beginning is nothing. It becomes a bit varied soon enough. Although you'll still be doing a lot of running and slashing. That's what Strider was always about anyway.

Tizoc

So I found out how to remap the keyboard layout of the game, making the X key jump and Z and C for sword attacks.

Just beat
the first Pooh sister,
having a blast playing this game. Is there a way to turn off subtitles though?

its about hectic running, dodging bullets and slashing 20 bad guys all around you. Also soon it will start to open up and be more like Metroidvania with a little exploration elements.

i actually recommend playing on Hard! Got to play like a ninja to survive the onslaught :D Protip: slide under enemy gunfire.

Krilekk

Banned
its about hectic running, dodging bullets and slashing 20 bad guys all around you. Also soon it will start to open up and be more like Metroidvania with a little exploration elements.

i actually recommend playing on Hard! Got to play like a ninja to survive the onslaught :D Protip: slide under enemy gunfire.

Yeah, no. I started on normal and got my ass kicked by the first boss. I restarted on easy and now I can enjoy it. Loving it, actually. I might go back to harder difficulties after beating the game but to learn the controls I can only recommend easy mode for the first run. If you're not used to these kind of games anyways.

I am a bit impressed that all the posters and graffiti in game are in proper Russian instead of usually poorly auto translated nonsense.

Yeah, no. I started on normal and got my ass kicked by the first boss. I restarted on easy and now I can enjoy it. Loving it, actually. I might go back to harder difficulties after beating the game but to learn the controls I can only recommend easy mode for the first run. If you're not used to these kind of games anyways.

filthy casual! :D

Loving Strider so far. But a little bit disappointed by the difficulty. Hard is more like an easy normal. Still good fun though.

Just have to ask, I'm like 1,5-2 hours into the game, but I saw a video playthrough of the demo, which took place in the beginning and one of the unlocks he found was the reflect cypher, but I still haven't found it. Is it possible I've missed it? Or was the placement of the upgrade in the demo a hoax?

Loving Strider so far. But a little bit disappointed by the difficulty. Hard is more like an easy normal. Still good fun though.

Just have to ask, I'm like 1,5-2 hours into the game, but I saw a video playthrough of the demo, which took place in the beginning and one of the unlocks he found was the reflect cypher, but I still haven't found it. Is it possible I've missed it? Or was the placement of the upgrade in the demo a hoax?

The reflect Cypher isn't missable, so no worries.

Love the game so far. Environments are a little samey but not a huge deal. My only other complaint is to echo everyone's thoughts on the subtitles. The window is a little to obtrusive. I think Hard is a pretty decent challenge, but normal looks easy as hell. Definitely play on Hard.

The reflect Cypher isn't missable, so no worries.

Love the game so far. Environments are a little samey but not a huge deal. My only other complaint is to echo everyone's thoughts on the subtitles. The window is a little to obtrusive. I think Hard is a pretty decent challenge, but normal looks easy as hell. Definitely play on Hard.
Thanks. I just got the upgrade :)

Melchiah

Same here. I immediately changed the setting, when I found out the last checkpoint was far away from the boss battle.

MattVT

So far I really like it. I think DH nailed what they were going for here. Strider is a case where there is no "correct" version to screw up by changing it - Strider is both the arcade game, and the NES game which is very different.

Yes, I am impressed by how they have maintained aspects of the arcade game and NES game. It is a nice marriage of the two.

It is also cool to hear musical cues that I haven't heard in years that immediately take me back to playing the Genesis port of the arcade game. Incidentally, anybody else remember how they hyped the Genesis cart as being the first "8-meg" cart. I had no idea what that meant as a kid, but I knew I was supposed to be impressed.

The arcade game had a jungle level with crazy Amazon ladies as enemies. I hope this game has a nod to that somewhere.

Ein Bear

Just put an hour into this, am really loving it so far! Sucks that the PS4 version doesn't let you use the D-Pad for movement though, I'm not a fan of analogues for 2D sidescrollers.

Yup, that's it. The first 5-10 minutes of the game is the exact same as the rest of the game, no change. The first 5-10 minutes of a game is usually the best indicator of what the entirety of a game is like.

Anyway, does anyone know about the unlockable costumes and custom colors? Is that unlocked during the first playthrough or do you have to beat the game before you can get/do any of it?

Gbraga

Played around 15 minutes using family share, and it convinced me to buy it, I really liked it.

The boss fight was terrible though. Way too easy.

The rest of the game is much more challenging than I expected (at least on hard). Combat is mashing X, sure, but you have to kill people fast because you don't have a lot of health and you need those health points.

lordxar

Snagged this the other day but it came amidst other stuff so I haven't put much time in it. I did like what I played and can't wait to sink my teeth into it. I remember reading Nintendo Power as a kid and drooling over that version but never getting it so a day one purchase was definitely in order!

Canti

Just beat the game on normal, around 5 and a half hours with 53 percent. The ending
is so short, blink and you'll miss it.
Disappointed in the lack of new game plus, it would have really benefitted from it. Some bosses felt cheap near the end, had to exploit some blind zones to easily beat them. Definitely worth the money though, I'll be sure to replay on hard after mopping up the collectibles.

Wonko_C

there's a Strider bug thread on Steam, so they are looking into patching the game. D-Pad support is being asked from a lot of ppl

Good. I think ill ask for DX10 support there, then. I don't want to light the Durante-signal yet.

Sioen

That assassin boss that can fly was quite difficult for me, got him after 6 tries on normal. Very fun game though.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Christ I want the d pad! Also strider doesn't turn around fast enough. If you're facing right, tap left , release a charged attacked but the attack still goes right then there's a problem. I need NES Ninja Gaiden levels of precision here.

Solune

Just put an hour into this, am really loving it so far! Sucks that the PS4 version doesn't let you use the D-Pad for movement though, I'm not a fan of analogues for 2D sidescrollers.

Uh , wut? Is this the same case for the PS3 version as well?

---

Did anyone order the JP LE from Nippon Yasan and have their's ship already?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I was pretty surprised to see that I was one of 5 total people on the leader board that had completed the game on hard on XB1 last night. Lots of people on the normal difficulty leader board though.

VariantX

Yup, that's it. The first 5-10 minutes of the game is the exact same as the rest of the game, no change. The first 5-10 minutes of a game is usually the best indicator of what the entirety of a game is like.

Anyway, does anyone know about the unlockable costumes and custom colors? Is that unlocked during the first playthrough or do you have to beat the game before you can get/do any of it?

you have to find the strider icons that represent the fallen striders to get extra palettes havent figured out full customization yet.

Christ I want the d pad! Also strider doesn't turn around fast enough. If you're facing right, tap left , release a charged attacked but the attack still goes right then there's a problem. I need NES Ninja Gaiden levels of precision here.

Just tried and always end up in the direction I intended. Also, you can turn on a dime by tapping attack as soon as you press the opposite direction.

Blues1990

Given that the Nintendo Wii U & Nintendo 3DS are my primary consoles, I hate it that I'm going to miss out on this one. The game as a whole looks great, and I love the new remixes of the NES Strider tracks.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Played the demo and watched a few feeds. Felt flimsy and oddly paced. Perhaps I remember my Striders wrong but it felt odd. Not impressed. Was looking forward to it too.

Top Bottom