• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Maybesew

Does this game make anyone else wish for a Rygar re-make? Rygar and Strider were two of my favorite arcade titles as a kid.

Just played the demo, and I really like the look and speed of this game, BUT... I could just barely beat the first mini boss on normal. Am I just setting myself up for frustration if I buy this?

RyudBoy

Just finished it with 96.4% completion after 11hrs. Really good game, I enjoyed it quite a lot. Now to beat it again under 4hrs and then eventually get 100%.

hawk2025

Game gets better and better as you proceed.

The level design improves, combat improves, everything. I think it should be played on Hard -- a big part of the fun is dealing with the enemies and exploring the combat a bit rather than just mashing Square non-stop.

Having a really good time with this at 35%. Can't wait to get whatever skill will let me backtrack and hunt for collectibles.

Nuke Soda

SUj4AXF.jpg

Working on a video guide for Remember The Fallen, some of them are pretty well hidden.

I'll check out the Survival and Time Trial modes, see if there's any thought put behind their design. I bet the game only ranks you on time because it's essentially impossible to no damage.

Platinum at 0.0% What does that even me?
Lol.

Tokubetsu

Game gets even better once you can deflect bullets.

One side note/question though. How does the eagle flight thing work? Is it only those set location teleport points where you're prompted to press Y?

Dahbomb

So I am at the point of no return... how do I beat the final boss and then go back to collect items?

Or is there no other way? I guess I will have to make a duplicate save file on my PC. Anyone know the save file for the game?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Game gets even better once you can deflect bullets.

One side note/question though. How does the eagle flight thing work? Is it only those set location teleport points where you're prompted to press Y?

The eagle itself is a power attack.

Liberty4all

Banned
Just played through the demo. Very awesome definitely going to grab this at some point. It feels like a game destined for sale prices down the road though so I can wait. Demo is definitely worth the time to download and play through.

BlackEyes

Anyone else getting random fps drops on the pc version? i got 780 gtx ti and it's going down to 30~45 fps for no reason then goes back to 60 a second later

I Just play the game for about one hour and I really enjoy it
btw for those of you who finish the game , are you thinking beating the game in less than 4 hours is easy or not?

Liberty4all

Banned
A few more thoughts. As a child of the 70s who grew up in arcades throughout the 80s/90s and owned all the 8bit and 16bit consoles ...

This game is basically where we always imagined "next Gen graphics/games" would go had 3D not come and screwed up our glorious 2D future.

Game has a definite arcade and old school console feel to it imho (played demo on normal), although I do think it feels a tad slower than the strider I remember on Genesis. The lack of Dpad support is a real heartbreaker but not a deal breaker.

VariantX

I Just play the game for about one hour and I really enjoy it
btw for those of you who finish the game , are you thinking beating the game in less than 4 hours is easy or not?

probably could just set the game to easy and steam roll through it since you're more likely to be attempting it after playing it on a harder difficulty. Nothing in the achievement/trophy specifies that you have to do it on normal or hard.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm at the point where I need to collect all the remaining hidden costumes and POW pickups and the map system's failings are now very salient.

1) I wish that you could effectively browse the entire game's map, but when you zoom out to the big map and then pick an area to look at, it's not centered correctly and you can't see every part of it. Seems like a bug or an unfinished implementation.

2) I wish the colored door icons indicated somehow whether you had ever opened them or not. Or that the map told you if you had been in a room or not by shading in explored areas. I enjoyed playing the game a lot, but scouring every corner of every area that still contains pickups sounds kind of terrible.

WilyRook

Very generous demo! A one-on-one boss fight, as well as another spectacular boss fight that closes out the demo. The sections of map that lead to those fights are enough to get a good sense of the general traversal throughout the game, and it's littered with enemies to tear through. Playing it through on hard and I ended up learning to time jumps between enemy burst fire, and sometimes even jumping between individual bullets. Also learned how to beat the bosses with only getting hit once or twice. So good! And so much fun to control. Even just swinging the sword for the first time put a smile on my face due to how responsive it is.

Eusis

Is there any advantage to buy Strider on PS4 instead of Xbox One?
Streaming maybe? If the PS4 had D-Pad support I'd think that might be it, but even then that's not as critical as last gen since it seems the XB1 actually has a decent D-Pad going by the one I tried in a store (albeit unattached to an actual console...)

Tizoc

Gah the game's crashing on me when I load my save game/resume game.

Basically I've gotten to the part in the game where I need to do a long vertical climb in Khazak city. I accidently drop down outside to the entrance. I decide to quit and load so that I can start from a checkpoint close to where I need to do the verical climb.

Anyways now everytime I try to load the game it crashes. I may need to start the game from scratch, not that that's an issue since I'd have just lost maybe an hour's worth of play =P

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I have a 5770 and getting a rock solid 60 at 720p with all the effects on. Computer is 6 years old. Seems very well optimized.

Hiryu's animation when he throws a kunai is so goofy/great. It reminds me of Legend of Kage.
Its decent but you can expect slowdowns in dense areas. You would have to turn all of the effects off which doesn't really detract from the experience IMO.
Thanks. I think my card is just below the recommended spec, but fuck it ima take the risk and see if I can get it to work at a lower FPS or res.

Dahbomb

Thanks. I think my card is just below the recommended spec, but fuck it ima take the risk and see if I can get it to work at a lower FPS or res.
Framerate is more important in this game. I would go low resolution and turn all effects off... should be playable.

Trike

why the hell is this game making my computer resolution go to 1280x1024 when I set it to 1440x900, my actual resolution?

TentPole

Playing on hard alleviates every single complaint from the Giant Bomb review. I will never understand people who complain about a game being too easy while ignoring harder difficulties.

Playing on hard alleviates every single complaint from the Giant Bomb review. I will never understand people who complain about a game being too easy while ignoring harder difficulties.
I don't know...
Giant Bomb Review said:
With more variety to its combat and some more time spent smoothing out its rough edges, Strider could have been a significantly better game.
Seems like the issues of variety and weirdness (audio balance, unskippable dialogue) would still be there regardless, but he does mention the game's lack of difficulty quite a lot too, which is odd considering.

I have walked Kazakh Outskirts endlessly...

Where is the last 14%?! :|

Edit:

Seems like the issues of variety and weirdness (audio balance, unskippable dialogue) would still be there regardless, but he does mention the game's lack of difficulty quite a lot too, which is odd considering.

This is what's weird, some of it is skippable. I've been able to skip a few of them by pressing start, others do nothing. :/

Hard difficulty seems ideal, not at all easy. I think some reviewers must strictly judge game difficulty on default regardless of a game's audience, who in this case are intelligent gamers that increase the difficulty when it's too easy.

Eusis

Hard difficulty seems ideal, not at all easy. I think some reviewers must strictly judge game difficulty on default regardless of a game's audience, who in this case are intelligent gamers that increase the difficulty when it's too easy.
Well, it's a reasonable assumption that normal's meant to be middle of the road and the best bar to base a game, especially as some games screw up difficulty royally one way or the other (or barely make a dent.) And I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the intended audience didn't plan to beeline to Hard, doubly so with the Metroid angle bringing even more in than just Strider fans.

Dahbomb

Game isn't hard even on Hard. It definitely lacks challenge. I would actually say that Strider gets easier as you go along... getting stuff like double jump, reflect, teleport dash and more health/power up bars makes the game easier overall while the enemies generally remain the same. I thought the hardest portion of the game was near the start, having to deal with bullet hell areas without the reflect was fairly tough especially with the starting low health.

That said I haven't played through all of the Challenge modes so maybe that's where the challenge lies for the game.

Audio balance?
It was mentioned earlier in the thread and in the Giant Bomb review:

Giant Bomb Review said:
The audio, other than the occasionally lame voice acting, is good, but on my 5.1 setup the PS4 version had a really rotten sound mix, with music primarily pumping out of the rear speakers and things like the "shing" of your sword slash, dialogue, and other combat-related audio quietly coming out of the center channel. For the record, this setup has been fine for plenty of other PS4 games, but I would have to make some major adjustments to individual channel volume to make this game sound anything close to correct. Unless maybe the audio team know how drab the dialogue was and tried to buried under a few layers of sound...

But for my part I haven't seen or heard anything weird. I haven't wanted to skip any cut-scenes yet as everything I've seen so far has been very short, and I've also been p[laying with a 5.1 headset and have had no problems with the audio. Difficulty has also been fine on normal, but I do expect to replay through several times on hard. *shrug*

I wouldn't mind the option to disable the subtitles and graphics when characters talk though, as it does take too large a chunk of the screen. But it hasn't been a problem.

system11

Not as good as I hoped.

* Sound mix is awful. Dropping FX and voices to half kind of helps.
* Analogue directional control. Really?
* Run blindly mashing the attack button, ignore most of the bullets since health refills are almost constant.
* Bland, bland, bland.

Just try Strider in MAME - yeah. That pretty much sums up everything.

Tokubetsu

It was mentioned earlier in the thread and in the Giant Bomb review:

But for my part I haven't seen or heard anything weird. I haven't wanted to skip any cut-scenes yet as everything I've seen so far has been very short, and I've also been p[laying with a 5.1 headset and have had no problems with the audio. Difficulty has also been fine on normal, but I do expect to replay through several times on hard. *shrug*

I wouldn't mind the option to disable the subtitles and graphics when characters talk though, as it does take too large a chunk of the screen. But it hasn't been a problem.

Yea, no option for turning off subtitles probably my biggest gripe right now.

Skilletor

Not as good as I hoped.

* Run blindly mashing the attack button, ignore most of the bullets since health refills are almost constant.
* Bland, bland, bland.

While I'd prefer dpad controls, analog isn't a big deal. Play on hard.

Sound mix is off, yeah.

Graphics are bland, but it's not like Strider has ever been some prime example of awesome art direction. I think it looks pretty nice for what it is. The aesthetic matches futuristic cyber stalker guy.

gunstarhero

Not as good as I hoped.

* Bland, bland, bland.

Agreed on all points - but I'm still having some fun. Fighting the gravitron brought back great memories. Unfortunately that fight was just as easy as the original.

It's a good game- just not better than 1 or 2. No digital control really bummed me out, and seriously, wtf is with the sound design - it sounds like its an audio bug. :-/

Riddler

Not as good as I hoped.

* Bland, bland, bland.

What?

Maybe in the first area & when your overpowered fully upgraded(actively switching between powers)

Maybe give it more time since you did buy it?

Wonko_C

I'm enjoying the crap out of the movement in this game. This will make the wait for Titanfall a little bit easier. :)

It's the opposite to me. Titanfall beta is making the wait for Strider a little bit easier. (Waiting for my fixed 360, or a DX10 patch for the PC version, which is less likely.)

Top Bottom