• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

NIN90

Yeaaah, so this game does the thing where if you beat the game on hard it only unlocks the achievement for that difficulty. You'll need to start a new run for the normal difficulty achievement.

JonCha

Yeaaah, so this game does the thing where if you beat the game on hard it only unlocks the achievement for that difficulty. You'll need to start a new run for the normal difficulty achievement.

Kinda sucks. Playing on Hard myself, pretty fun imo.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I love all the obvious and not so obvious nods to other games.

Some examples (spoilers).

The Very metroid esque music when you get a new powerup and upon starting the game

The clicker sounds from TLOU the symbiotic soldiers make

There are a few more I noticed too!

I find the trophies/achievements names awesome.

I'm thinking about going in blind on this game based on some cool art and good impressions. Would I be right in expecting basically a modern beat-em-up with Metroid-esque progression? And how Metroid-esque are we talking

Dahbomb

I'm thinking about going in blind on this game based on some cool art and good impressions. Would I be right in expecting basically a modern beat-em-up with Metroid-esque progression? And how Metroid-esque are we talking
You get abilities that unlock areas in the levels. Those areas lead to more upgrade/collectible. You can go back to previous areas once you have the upgrades. There is some backtracking in the game so you get to play an early area but with souped up gear showing how far you have come.

Not as good level design as Metroid obviously or as involved ability repertoire. Basical formula is definitely similar though.

Sanctuary

Just finished, 5:25 67% complete. Last area was really annoying and
Meio
seemed rather cheap, until I realized you could actually
jump down to the bottom area where the health pods were. That's odd too considering if you fall from all the way up top, it kills you as though there's no bottom.

Also wish I had known you could actually skip cutscenes after they are 3s over by mashing ESC. Doesn't work at all with the controller for some odd reason.

Nuke Soda

Ashamed to admit I got lost for a while after
defeating all three Pooh sisters and then I was studying the map when I noticed in big hard to miss letters my current objective, quite embarrassing.

Ardenyal

Can someone help me with Meios tower?

The two mechs launching freeze grenades and floating mine shitters get me stun locked no matter what i try :(

I get a bit of a Metal Gear Solid vibe from it so far. Just in terms of atmosphere and stuff. Not the series, but specifically the PSOne game. It's probably just all the steel and snow.

Sanctuary

Just
take them out one at a time. Stay as close to the walker thing as you can and just spam the fire/explosive cypher, orbs (LB/L1 + Y or Triangle) and your cat. Just take out the purple fliers whenever they are in range with kunai.

Ardenyal

Just
take them out one at a time. Stay as close to the walker thing as you can and just spam the fire/explosive cypher, orbs (LB/L1 + Y or Triangle) and your cat. Just take out the purple fliers whenever they are in range with kunai.

Ok, thanks for the help.

Randam

is there more to the combat system, than spamming attack and running through enemys?

and when/where does the game safe your progress?

beat a (mini)boss yesterday, got a new ability, it said control-point(german version), I left the game shortly after, when I started playing again, I started way, way, back before the boss fight.

Nuke Soda

is there more to the combat system, than spamming attack and running through enemys?

beat a (mini)boss yesterday, got a new ability, it said control-point(german version), I left the game shortly after, when I started playing again, I started way, way, back before the boss fight.

The save rooms are the ones that have giant screens and a pad you can stand on to regain health.

VariantX

Can someone help me with Meios tower?

The two mechs launching freeze grenades and floating mine shitters get me stun locked no matter what i try :(

Fight them 1 at a time. If you have magnetic boost, they'll never be able to get a hit in, mag boost + option A + explosive plasma can kill them extremely quickly.

Montresor

5 years ago, I absolutely hated hate HATED the Castlevania games on DS and Super Metroid on Wii VC.

Fast forward to today and within the past year I have greatly enjoyed Dust Elysian Tail and Symphony Of The Night. I'm not sure if I suddenly like Metroidvania games or if Dust + Symphony of the Night are just that much better.

I guess nowawadays Strider (and off-topic, Arkham Black Gate and Shadow Complex too?) would be up my alley.

Item Box

Just finished on normal with 3:53 on the clock and 65% completed. I regret not playing on hard, as the game was pretty easy, and even became much easier with each option you obtain.

Option C felt pretty broken, as most bosses didn't last more than 30 seconds(with the exception of the final boss which took about a minute or two) if you constantly sic the hawk on them while mashing the attack button. Add all three options together and you become unstoppable. I didn't mind this much as it made me feel badass, but being able to take so much hits was pretty disappointing, allowing you to eat anything that gets thrown at you while wailing away.

This is probably a different story on hard, so i'll give it another go sometime later.

SegaShack

I played the demo on hard and doing what you described kept getting me killed. You have to time your jumps to avoid bullets and attack downwards in mid air. Also you should strategically slide as well. Running through enemies and attacking will not work.

You get reflect way too late in this game IMO, because you can't block attacks at all they should have allowed projectile reflects from the beginning for well timed attacks, once you get that move you can really strat attacks a lot better.

The game seems to checkpoint in random locations but also in the white health regen rooms, those so far have always checkpointed my progress.

I don't think the game checkpoints on item pickup which is DUMB.

The game for me is just a solid 6/10 fun platformer with exploration but nothing special, above average.

arit

I congratulate the person who thought that no invulnerability frames on hit, and a not really well implemented control gimmick during the bossfight would be good ideas.
Why shouldn't a strider want to duck while escaping an instant ray of death...

Tizoc

Just beat
the 3 sisters, neat boss fight
IMO the best part of Strider are the boss fights. There is a Boss Rush mode correct?

Anung

Un Rama
Started a new game today on hard and I think I might be able to do it under 4 hours as well. I'm sitting at 2 hours 12 minutes and I've just beaten
Wang Mu Queen Mother of the West
I think I'm doing pretty decently so far.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You get reflect way too late in this game IMO, because you can't block attacks at all they should have allowed projectile reflects from the beginning for well timed attacks, once you get that move you can really strat attacks a lot better.

The game seems to checkpoint in random locations but also in the white health regen rooms, those so far have always checkpointed my progress.

I don't think the game checkpoints on item pickup which is DUMB.

The game for me is just a solid 6/10 fun platformer with exploration but nothing special, above average.

It seems to checkpoint at an upgrade terminal, like Health or Energy. I have died a few times early on in Hard mode and instead of sending me back to the last save point, it spawned me at the most recent hidden upgrade station, only if it was reached AFTER my last save station. I do believe that if you turn off the game without eventually making it to a proper save station, you lose that progress.

Best way to ensure your progress is saved is watch for the little kanji save icon in the lower right to appear when you run past save stations. When you see 'checkpoint' appear in the bottom right, I believe its just a temp respawn point...but since Hard difficulty has gotten real easy after several health-ups, I haven't died much to even test this.

Oh and I will agree, after 2:30 hrs on Hard mode, I would agree with 6/10 scores so far. Dumb fun, but not great either. Some clever moments mired in a lot of filler padding with rote action. On hard mode it gets a bit irritating that most fodder enemies take multiple hits to take down too. Not really upping the challenge that much sadly(especially with several health upgrades) and it hinders the satisfaction of slicing enemies in a clean single chop. Just irritating mostly.

eso76

solid game.
Not like it required impressive game design skills, and I haven't really seen anything especially surprising in terms of creativity or new ideas, but it's very well done and mechanics flow perfectly well.

I'm really liking it, unfortunately though, art direction could have been much better, would have turned this into a niche classic.

garth2000

So if I was guessing, I'd say I'm about 50% done the main story.

I'm really liking it. It's not terribly hard (on medium), but it's fast and fun to play, kind of makes you feel badass as you run through it.

I also like the metriodvania feel of it.

One question though. Does it ever become less linear? I know there are areas in the early parts of the game I couldnt get into because I didnt have the right power, but so far it seems like there are several barriers that wont let me get back to the first areas.

Do I acquire some sort of level select ability later on?

Sanctuary

I congratulate the person who thought that no invulnerability frames on hit, and a not really well implemented control gimmick during the bossfight would be good ideas.
Why shouldn't a strider want to duck while escaping an instant ray of death...

Yeah, the attacks being able to infinitely chain was kind of stupid. Thankfully it's usually only a problem on some of the boss fights. But eventually you learn how to just avoid most of them anyway.

Music is perfect.

Yep. It kept popping into my head too hours after having finished it.

So if I was guessing, I'd say I'm about 50% done the main story.

The game tells you how much you've completed it overall (AFIAK it's seperate from the items found per area). As for returning to earlier areas; you'll still have a somewhat long hike ahead of you, but eventually you'll have two different transportation methods that shorten the runs.

RE_Player

Every other person on my PS4 friends list is playing this, as am I. I hope the next gen game drought Xbox One and PS4 are having leads to a lot of sales for this.

Anung

Un Rama
Just completed this on hard in 3 hours 14 minutes XD A few bits gave me grief but overall it wasn't uber difficult. Only 3 more trophies for the Platinum.

My right wrist is killing me now though D:

Grinchy

Banned
I just finished the demo and it was pretty awesome. Only complaint is that I can't use the dpad for movement. There were times when I was sliding when I didn't want to be. It's not a dealbreaker though. Game seems great.

jett

D-Member
I don't understand why this isn't 60fps on the PS360. I guess a matter of the developer not giving enough fucks about last-gen consoles. The game logic on the PC version being tied to 60fps might even be worse. Wut?

GetemMa

Just finished the Demo on PS4 and the whole thing just feels a bit bland and easy.

It's like a combination of Outland and Shadow Complex with none of the personality or ingenuity of those two games.

Didn't like it much. Bland and gets repetitive quickly. Visual style isn't that interesting and the music was only alright. On the plus side, Strider controls well.

Didn't like it much. Bland and gets repetitive quickly. Visual style isn't that interesting and the music was only alright. On the plus side, Strider controls well.

damn shame you feel that way man.

I've only been playing it in bursts (usually like a boss/Option in each play session) and every time I load it up, I instantly get that surge like the first time I started playing it :)

pixlexic

Banned
why do people want dapd controls so bad? in the later areas of the game you have to precise jumps and warps that would be a lot harder with just the 8 dpad angles.

Chindogg

Ok I don't know if this has been asked yet but has anyone tried using an arcade stick for the game? I'm a bit of a stickler for former arcade franchises to be played on stick.

BPoole

Enjoying it so far, but I regret not playing on Hard from the get go. I'm about 3 hours into the game (
just best the 3 sisters
) and I haven't died yet.

Top Bottom