• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Redshirt

Banned
I just sat on the ledge right below him. The breath can't hit you there, and when he's done, you have time to get in several or so strikes.

So what's the general consensus here on Gaf? Thinking about buying this as I have nothing else to play right now. Is it worth the 15 bucks?

Megatron

So what's the general consensus here on Gaf? Thinking about buying this as I have nothing else to play right now. Is it worth the 15 bucks?

How did you feel about the demo? I bought it today and am only one trophy past where the demo ends but I feel like it's a good game, probably won't be on any game of the year lists. Keep in mind that it's basically a lock to see a sale this year, especially with so little other PS4 content at this point. That probably wont' be until the fall though, so I was fine with buying it now.

kurahadol

I'm enjoying the game, but good god, this game just needs to restart you at the boss battle and not the last checkpoint. It was that reason alone that I switched from hard to normal.

Ghazi

If the 360/PS3 is my only option, is the game still good/playable there? Which one should I get, DF Face Off said PS3 version was awful, wondering if anyone here's tried that version.

onionfrog

If the 360/PS3 is my only option, is the game still good/playable there? Which one should I get, DF Face Off said PS3 version was awful, wondering if anyone here's tried that version.
I haven't quite finished the game yet. I'm about 80% through with it, but it performs pretty well on PS3.
There were one or two areas where I experienced some minor slowdown. (A combination of lots of enemies and projectiles on screen. )... That was literally only once or twice out of the whole game though...

I'm not sure how the 360 version compares to the PS3 one.

How did you feel about the demo? I bought it today and am only one trophy past where the demo ends but I feel like it's a good game, probably won't be on any game of the year lists. Keep in mind that it's basically a lock to see a sale this year, especially with so little other PS4 content at this point. That probably wont' be until the fall though, so I was fine with buying it now.

I have an Xbox One and it doesn't look like there's a demo, unfortunately. I've seen some gameplay vids and read the reviews however and it definitely looks like something I might enjoy, like a Shadow Complex with ninjas. If it's even half as good as that game, I don't think I'd regret buying it.

I have an Xbox One and it doesn't look like there's a demo, unfortunately. I've seen a lot some gameplay vids and read the reviews however and it definitely looks like something I might enjoy, like a Shadow Complex with ninjas. If it's even half as good as that game, I don't think I'd regret buying it.
Man, what a bummer that MS has gone so backward with the XB1. Demo of every available XBLA game was one of the defining features of the platform. Damn shame about that.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
I have an Xbox One and it doesn't look like there's a demo, unfortunately. I've seen a lot some gameplay vids and read the reviews however and it definitely looks like something I might enjoy, like a Shadow Complex with ninjas. If it's even half as good as that game, I don't think I'd regret buying it.

I got it on Xbox One and I've been having a blast with it!I t's very arcady and fast-paced, so if you like games similar to that then I think you would enjoy it. Some bosses are hard, but you just need to figure out patterns etc. From my experience so far it's definitely worth it.

nillapuddin

N1REWgSl.png

Highly recommend, had a blast

I was definitely fishing for collectibles so my play time was a lot longer, I didnt realize until I was all the way upgraded that the Large Health Containers counted as collectibles, I intentionally didnt get many of them (cause I didnt need the health)

So egg on my face for that, but looking forward to my next playthrough very much
not sure if I want to go for 100% while on Hard mode, or just have a fun playthrough on Easy and get everything either way, awesome

In terms of enjoyment per dollar, this is right up there at the top

*Flaws*
Navigation, there are not clear indicators of which pathways cross into which area, which when back tracking, is VERY annoying

Ex:
Panther Run to - Military District - Top

would be very useful

ran and looked awesome on the xbox, very satisfied

Man, what a bummer that MS has gone so backward with the XB1. Demo of every available XBLA game was one of the defining features of the platform. Damn shame about that.

Yup, being able to sample all the arcade games was really great and going back on that for the XB1 is a baffling/frustrating move on MS part.

The End

Yup, being able to sample all the arcade games was really great and going back on that for the XB1 is a baffling/frustrating move on MS part.

There was no X1 demo? There were on the playstations.

That being said, as soon as they started talking about how there weren't arcade games, just digital games, I knew demos were doomed. There was no way there were going to require EA or Activision to release a demo for every game (although cribbing the 1hr timed demo from PS+ would have been a smart move).

How on earth do you get the 3 collectibles in the laser grid in the Cryostasis area of the Research Facility? I unlocked the secret passage and got the first, but the other two I just can't get to.

Is it the place with long lasers both vertical and horizontal? Dash, Double Jump, Dash works there. While you're hanging on a wall, don't jump out but instead dash out. Then you can do a double jump and a new dash after that.

Defuser

People are underestimating the magnetic catapault.

- Kills cyborg enemies in 1 hit or if not stuns them for a few seconds.
- For mechs, it stuns them for a few seconds so that's plenty of time to switch to explosive cypher and wail on them, if they recover from it, magnetic catapult them again.
-Destroys the normal shields that the soldiers carry unlike the rest of the catapaults.

I LOVE this game. The demo was pretty good, but the full game BLOWS the demo WAY out the water! Does anyone happen to have a map with the upgrade locations? Or know where any of the kunai range upgrades and kunai number upgrades are? I literally need one of each and then I have all the upgrades in the game...

I got my brother and two friends to buy this game and they love it! : D

edit: I found the last kunai number...still looking for that last kunai range...

edit: found them!

Footos22

Grabbed all the collectibles last night on my first hard playthrough.
All im missing is the green canister trophy collectibles wise.

Is there any in Meios tower?

Took my about 10hrs to finish the game on Hard, 100%. Went back to do a normal "speedrun" and finished it in 2:07, about 21%.

Overall, I loved the game. A bit too easy though and I wish you would unlock some insane difficulty level but nah, not much of a reason to go back to play it now. Will probably do another run in a couple of years.

Grabbed all the collectibles last night on my first hard playthrough.
All im missing is the green canister trophy collectibles wise.

Is there any in Meios tower?
Um, yeah. There's only canisters to collect in that area iirc. Most of them are pretty visible and hard to miss too.

Footos22

Took my about 10hrs to finish the game on Hard, 100%. Went back to do a normal "speedrun" and finished it in 2:07, about 21%.

Overall, I loved the game. A bit too easy though and I wish you would unlock some insane difficulty level but nah, not much of a reason to go back to play it now. Will probably do another run in a couple of years.

Um, yeah. There's only canisters to collect in that area iirc. Most of them are pretty visible and hard to miss too.

Cool thanks.
Hopefully ive not missed any outside the tower. I dont think i have.
Otherwise ill be getting my platinum tonight.

What is the trophy "Meet Cypher's Edge"? I am near the end of the game and still don't have it...How do I max out the hit meter 25 times? Is that the red circle thing in the top left corner?

What is the trophy "Meet Cypher's Edge"? I am near the end of the game and still don't have it...How do I max out the hit meter 25 times? Is that the red circle thing in the top left corner?
I'm pretty sure it's when you dishing out a lot of damage while taking none, and you enter the "rage mode" of sort. Don't think there's any indication on the HUD for that though.

eso76

3 hours in, game's really good.
Artstyle could be better, it's certainly not as memorable as the original (arcade) but it's growing on me.

Minor things i don't like; mostly the way Strider *doesn't* gain momentum when running downhill (and the way his animation doesn't flow when running down steeps with different inclination) and the game not always succeeding in delivering the sense of height and scale of the original.

Quality game, overall. I was skeptical but this is the best Strider game since the original and i hope this is successfull enough to warrant more sequels, including a full 3D DMC-like action game.

Lima

This game is kinda dark isn't it? I checked my brightness setting on my VT60 again after playing for an hour because it sure seems something is off but brightness level is correct. Anyone else notice this?

Got a PS4 this weekend and tried out the demo. Wasn't expecting much, and not wild about the backgrounds still, but it seemed pretty decent. I thought it was slow at first, then I tried doing the stage like a speedrun and it had a nice flow to it.

Do things pick up from there, or is the demo fairly indicative of the pace of the rest of the game?

dcx4610

Loved the game. I wish it was a bit longer because the game really started to get good once you had all of your power ups.

I wish the map was a little bit easier to understand. I didn't feel the urge to fill it in and get 100% like in Super Metroid. I also felt the Options were a bit worthless other than a couple of boss fights but still fun to use.

With a bit more polish, the game could have been an all time classic. Still, very good if you are looking for a good 2D game in the vein of Guacamelee and Metroidvania.

dcx4610

You fill up the little red circle above your life bar by attacking without getting hit. Once it fills, the screen blurs and you glow golden and can attack super fast. You have to obtain "Cypher's Edge" 25 times.

Redshirt

Banned
I don't even really enjoy 2D platformers that much anymore, and I've had a blast with Strider.

It made we want to throw my controller against the wall a few times, but you'll certainly get your $15 worth out of it.

Tadale

I finished it, ended up thinking it was pretty great. Like a lot of others have said, it gets a lot more interesting after you get the dash move and the projectiles.

Tizoc

So I just defeated the
worm boss, and it was hilarious. The Marketer said he wanted me to get rid of it, and I assumed I'd go through another area, which I was OK with...instead I go to his freakin' backyard and kill the thing XD.
I also like how its Cheevo/Trophy title is a reference to Dune

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Any tips for the final boss? I'm playing on hard.

They just had to fuck with the gravity didn't they? :(

dcx4610

Any tips for the final boss? I'm playing on hard.

They just had to fuck with the gravity didn't they? :(

I hide under the bottom right sphere. Once the projectiles fire, run up and dash into the portal and start hacking as fast as possible until you fall back. Repeat until 2nd phase and it's just a matter of staying off of the spheres and then jumping on and hacking when he hands on one. I used the flame cypher. I really couldn't tell if one was more powerful than the others.

Skilletor

Got a PS4 this weekend and tried out the demo. Wasn't expecting much, and not wild about the backgrounds still, but it seemed pretty decent. I thought it was slow at first, then I tried doing the stage like a speedrun and it had a nice flow to it.

Do things pick up from there, or is the demo fairly indicative of the pace of the rest of the game?

Things pick up. Strider unlocks mobility options the same way Alucard might unlock ways to move through stuff, lol. You're always earning more ways to get around or kill stuff. Game is just really fun to move around in.

Play on hard, though, if you get it.

dcx4610

I really wish the game had a New Game+ mode or at the very least, allowed you to save a completed game at the last check point so you can go back and explore and get 100%.

If there's one thing I could complain about, it's that the game lacks polish and feels like it could have used a few more months of tweaking. Very much worth $14.99 though.

OwlyKnees

This game is kinda dark isn't it? I checked my brightness setting on my VT60 again after playing for an hour because it sure seems something is off but brightness level is correct. Anyone else notice this?

Started playing it this morning and noticed the same thing. Definitely seems a little too dark, but every other game displays fine through my setup. Not sure if it's intentional or not.

Lima

I really wish the game had a New Game+ mode or at the very least, allowed you to save a completed game at the last check point so you can go back and explore and get 100%.

Actually there is a way. After defeating the last boss and ending the game asks if you want to save. Select "no" here and upon loading that save you will start at the tower again. Kinda weird but that is what a friend of mine did and it works.

Started playing it this morning and noticed the same thing. Definitely seems a little too dark, but every other game displays fine through my setup. Not sure if it's intentional or not.

Seems intentional. Tried it on my older Sony X4500 in the bedroom with the same result.

Jaeger

I'm getting dat ninja itch.

So I'ma make a move on this soon. What version should I get? What are the differences between the Japanese release, and the US? And also, I need this, but not for the price that some are asking on eBay. Any help?

Things pick up. Strider unlocks mobility options the same way Alucard might unlock ways to move through stuff, lol. You're always earning more ways to get around or kill stuff. Game is just really fun to move around in.

Play on hard, though, if you get it.

Thank you, sir, just what I needed to know.

dcx4610

I'm getting dat ninja itch.

So I'ma make a move on this soon. What version should I get? What are the differences between the Japanese release, and the US? And also, I need this, but not for the price that some are asking on eBay. Any help?

Strider 1 and 2 included on the Japanese PS3 version.

I really wish we could have gotten those in the states. They aren't even on the PSN as far as I know.

And my copy still hasn't even shipped from Play-Asia :|

Come the fuck on, I've been itching to play this for the last week.

Edit: Wow, the "complain to GAF for results" thing strikes again. Literally just switched to "packing order" :lol

Top Bottom