• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Missing the 4-hour window, so I'm doing a 100% clear to get it out of the way.

Finding the Concept Art is /annoying/ when it's your goal instead of a neat side thing. I'm at 95% in one area with every room SCRUBBED and I can't find anything in the zone.

Tokubetsu

Missing the 4-hour window, so I'm doing a 100% clear to get it out of the way.

Finding the Concept Art is /annoying/ when it's your goal instead of a neat side thing. I'm at 95% in one area with every room SCRUBBED and I can't find anything in the zone.

Yea I'm gonna wait awhile for a guide.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ok I don't know if this has been asked yet but has anyone tried using an arcade stick for the game? I'm a bit of a stickler for former arcade franchises to be played on stick.
Tried it with my 360 TE VS. Seems to work as well as you'd expect any 360 pad (I've been playing using 360 pad most of the time and didn't really notice a difference in movement).

Keep in mind though, you will need to use the D-Pad to switch cyphers, while movement is with the left analogue. I'm very early into the game so I wouldn't know, but it might be better to ask if you need to hotswap cyphers on the fly in action later in the game. I'd imagine places give you a place to stop between platforming elements, but you never know.

Dahbomb

There are places where you need to switch Cypher modes. Its certainly helpful.

Ice Cypher is the best followed closely by Explosive cypher. Raw damage on bosses and heavy enemies makes Explosive mode the best but for trash enemies and fliers Ice is the best. Frozen enemies actually act like Shields and platforms you can jump off of plus some slightly bigger enemies (like the polearm wielders in the final stage) can be frozen solid with a charged shot. Reflect cypher is the next best for specific boss attacks and areas that are bullet hell intensive. Magnetic cypher sucks for everything except where its specifically required or in areas where enemies are harder to reach plus has lots of fliers.

Frozen kunai is also the best. For the options its, Orbs > Eagle > Panther. Orbs best for raw damage but Eagle best for enemies further away and clustered together. Panther is slow.

TWILT

Banned
Annnd beaten the game. Final area and boss were more frustrating than it needed to be (or maybe I just suck; prolly that lol), but overall, had a lot of fun with the game. 8/10.

KiraXD

Wish it had a hard copy... at least a collectors edition... have to break out my Strider Scarf... the game is awesome!

isdwwQebolvys.jpg

Just finished the Demo on PS4 and the whole thing just feels a bit bland and easy.

It's like a combination of Outland and Shadow Complex with none of the personality or ingenuity of those two games.
I loved Shadow Complex but a big difference here for me is that every move feels so damn good, and so smooth. As you gain upgrades your mobility goes through the roof and just moving through each area is a fucking joy.

I only wish there was far more to do at max Strider because its so damn rewarding to double jump and dash through the air and reflect shots and unleash specials and decimate the armies of soldiers, drones and mechs in these environments.

Am at the final boss (which is annoying) but I already want more. A lot more.

I am really enjoying this game. I needed something like this to break the monotony. We need more games like this now imo. Good old school adventure/action game that feels like a modernized version of the old games, especially Strider 2. So far, I think they did a really good job on this game. Hope it gets a sequel in the future.

Sanctuary

Ice Cypher is the best followed closely by Explosive cypher. Raw damage on bosses and heavy enemies makes Explosive mode the best but for trash enemies and fliers Ice is the best. Frozen enemies actually act like Shields and platforms you can jump off of plus some slightly bigger enemies (like the polearm wielders in the final stage) can be frozen solid with a charged shot. Reflect cypher is the next best for specific boss attacks and areas that are bullet hell intensive. Magnetic cypher sucks for everything except where its specifically required or in areas where enemies are harder to reach plus has lots of fliers.

Frozen kunai is also the best. For the options its, Orbs > Eagle > Panther. Orbs best for raw damage but Eagle best for enemies further away and clustered together. Panther is slow.

I've never found a use for the Ice Cypher outside of a single platforming section and the few blue shielded enemies. Enemies might act as shields, but they also prevent you from actually moving towards and hitting the next enemy.

The Explosive Cypher is the all around best damage Cypher, which is all you really need aside from a few gun turrets. The Magnetic Cypher isn't really very good for the actual Cypher, but the Kunai and Charge are great. You can hit enemies above you easier with it, and it goes through floors, but it seems to have the lowest damage, or tied for lowest with Ice. I'm also not sure why you would bother with Ice Kunai against fliers when the Explosive and Magnetic take them out MUCH faster.

The Magnetic Charge also seems to actually be the best charge of the group. Not only does it disable an enemy, it also draws fire from those in close proximity. So it's basically like an Ice charge (which I never found an upgrade for if it's even in the game).

SkylineRKR

How do you get Reflect Cypher anyway? I am at the second Solo fight and don't have it (I think it should be the one between Charged and Explosive). I never fought Solo before either. Didn't know bosses were missable.

How do you get Reflect Cypher anyway? I am at the second Solo fight and don't have it (I think it should be the one between Charged and Explosive). I never fought Solo before either. Didn't know bosses were missable.

If I remember correctly, I think you get it right after the Solo fight.

Gbraga

Please tell me this game has new game +, it would be really cool to play it with all the upgrades from the start.

I don't understand why this isn't 60fps on the PS360. I guess a matter of the developer not giving enough fucks about last-gen consoles. The game logic on the PC version being tied to 60fps might even be worse. Wut?

UE3 is pretty much 30 (at best) by default on last gen consoles though. Very few exceptions.

If it's actually stable 30 on the PS3, this may be an improvement haha

SkylineRKR

If I remember correctly, I think you get it right after the Solo fight.

I missed that. I am now in the tower, the point of no return. No reflect Cypher. Solo 2 doesn't grant you an upgrade. I suppose you'll need it against Solo 2, because I had a hard time dodging his bullet hell attacks. This was on Normal. In fact, the Tower is reasonably difficult on Normal too.

I must say I get sort of bored by this game. It started off good but its repetitive and bland.

Novocaine

Enjoying it so far. I'm on a mission to go to
the airship
but I decided to collect all of the secrets before I go there. I heard the game ends and doesn't let you continue after finishing it so I want to make sure I get everything.

One item left and it's pissing me off haha.

R0ckman

This game is really gonna need some patching. I got "reset damaged" and reappeared inside a hollow object (pipe) couldn't get out so had to reset.

Huh. Apparently, downloading the game off of JP PSN on PS3 gets you Strider 1 & 2 as well. It's priced the same as the physical edition though, and there's seemingly no way to get both games outside of that.

arit

why do people want dapd controls so bad? in the later areas of the game you have to precise jumps and warps that would be a lot harder with just the 8 dpad angles.

You did notice that even with the analog stick you still only have 8 directions to choose from? The dpad would be even more precise since it does have way less distance to travel.

Nemesis_

Enjoying it so far. I'm on a mission to go to
the airship
but I decided to collect all of the secrets before I go there. I heard the game ends and doesn't let you continue after finishing it so I want to make sure I get everything.

One item left and it's pissing me off haha.

The game warns you, for what it's worth. I believe it's after the airship.

Please tell me this game has new game +, it would be really cool to play it with all the upgrades from the start.

Unfortunately no new game+ and an added kick in the nuts.. if you go through on another difficulty it overwrites your progress I had 98% of the collectables etc and they got wiped when I did my 2nd playthough on hard

Dereck

To the people wanting to play this using the d-pad, this may not apply to everyone but I feel like you might change your mind if you give this game an hour of your time with the analog stick. After awhile it won't even matter because you would have already mastered the analog stick. At this point I don't even think I would want to use the d-pad, as my thumb would probably hurt.

This game gets a lot more interesting the further one gets in it. The "abilities" one gets and the newer stronger enemies combined with wall climbing and platforming makes this game fun. It's more than just running and mashing the attack button.

Dahbomb

I've never found a use for the Ice Cypher outside of a single platforming section and the few blue shielded enemies. Enemies might act as shields, but they also prevent you from actually moving towards and hitting the next enemy.

The Explosive Cypher is the all around best damage Cypher, which is all you really need aside from a few gun turrets. The Magnetic Cypher isn't really very good for the actual Cypher, but the Kunai and Charge are great. You can hit enemies above you easier with it, and it goes through floors, but it seems to have the lowest damage, or tied for lowest with Ice. I'm also not sure why you would bother with Ice Kunai against fliers when the Explosive and Magnetic take them out MUCH faster.

The Magnetic Charge also seems to actually be the best charge of the group. Not only does it disable an enemy, it also draws fire from those in close proximity. So it's basically like an Ice charge (which I never found an upgrade for if it's even in the game).
Explosive Cypher is the worst defensive cypher though. In a crowded area you will get hit a lot with it. This is where Ice cypher is superior, a frozen opponent acts as a shield and you can build your meter on it freely. You get to full meter fastest and safest with the ice cypher. Plus it can disable turrets and fliers which can also allow you to build meter safer..

I don't have the upgrade for the Magnetic Catapult though so my opinion might change on it. But as a Cypher its ok at best, useful in some areas but not in most.

I use ice cypher for general trash mobs/turrets, explosive for sub boss types and bosses with alternating Magnetic/Reflect as the situation requires.

Xander51

I find the visual design of this game baffling. The way the front side of everything is shrouded in darkness and the scanline filter are very unappealing. The gameplay itself is quite good.

Ashtar

Beat the game after 8 hours had a lot of fun with it, but I'm done with it forawhile. I loved the feel of the game when you had everything working, freezing enemies, reflecting bullets, blowing stuff up. However the game did have a few glitches (got stuck in a wall... twice) and had some framerate issues (at one point the game was chugging pretty bad, other wise it seemed to slow down a couple times at least).
Very enjoyable game, great distraction from my exam and paper that's due
Huh. Apparently, downloading the game off of JP PSN on PS3 gets you Strider 1 & 2 as well. It's priced the same as the physical edition though, and there's seemingly no way to get both games outside of that.
r-kelly-cigarette-gif-wtf.gif

Tokubetsu

Magnetic cypher's not bad for annoying flying enemies and the stun lock effect it has on your dash is nice for most every enemy.

nOoblet16

I bought this game using my British PSN account (since I live in UK) but my main PSN account is American, till date there hasn't been any issue because so long as the original licence holder's account is in the machine's system I can play the game using other accounts. But for some reason the PS4 doesn't lets me launch the game using my American account because I didn't buy it using that...is there anything I can to about it?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I bought this game using my British PSN account (since I live in UK) but my main PSN account is American, till date there hasn't been any issue because so long as the original licence holder's account is in the machine's system I can play the game using other accounts. But for some reason the PS4 doesn't lets me launch the game using my American account because I didn't buy it using that...is there anything I can to about it?

Did you activate your brit account as the primary system?

Jubbly

Finished it on PS4.

strider.jpg

Still have to beat it under 4 hours and on Hard mode.

Overall it is a good game, but could be better.

How on earth do you get the 3 collectibles in the laser grid in the Cryostasis area of the Research Facility? I unlocked the secret passage and got the first, but the other two I just can't get to.

Finished my first playthrough today - a little over 6 hours and a little under 70%. I really enjoyed it though I found some of the enemies near the end a bit annoying (the ones whose bullets push you back).

Overall, I found the levels to be a bit too sprawling. By time I got to the end level, I just didn't feel like running back through the other zones to collect everything, however I did enjoy looking around as much as possible when ever the game led me through the various areas.

I didn't read anything going in and unfortunately played it on Normal. By and large the game was far too easy on this difficulty level and while I look forward to trying on hard, I am going to miss having the same degree of mobility (for the first bit anyway). With that said, combat is fast and fluid, but I feel like it could have benefited from being a bit deeper - Strider has a lot of options, but by and large I felt that the game could have used a lot more interesting enemies. I also did not like having to use the dpad to change plasmas as it was a bit cumbersome (though I don't have good solutions to these issues). If this had been implemented differently, I think there would have been more options for using different plasmas dynamically in the various encounters. As it is, I tended to only use one plasma once I had engaged the enemy and maybe switched if a different shield was present.

My only real complaint, is how horrid the voice acting was. I don't know if they just had the staff do it, or if they brought some people in off the street and fed them lunch, but it was atrocious. I tried to take it, but ended up having to turn the dialogue off.

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah, I might try that. Did you collect any power-ups? I assume that most of the HP and energy power ups would be useful.

I collected ones I came across but didn't go out of my way for any. By the time I reached the tower I had about 7/10 health and 6/10 magic. Bosses do so much damage the extra health wasn't really needed plus only a few of them are actually tough. I got to the tower on my 4 hour play through at about 2 hours 52 minutes.

nillapuddin

I didnt see it discussed, what is the unlock condition for this?

Also,
60% complete
6 hours
6 costumes
(really trying to get as many collectibles as possible)

Im really enjoying the hunt for these items, I know the back tracking is a bit.. arduous, but still

Just got around to finishing this. I wish I had remembered to screen cap my results to see my completion percentage, but as of right now I'm pretty happy being 35th on the Steam leaderboard with a completion time of 3:15:10, considering it was my first attempt. I think my completion percentage was around 32-35%.

I'd like to go through a hard run and try to get 100 percent, but I could also see some of the bosses being extremely frustrating in that mode, and I have a lot of other games to play.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it. I think if you have a love for fast moving Metroid-vania games, you'll probably enjoy it more than others. My expectations for the genre may also have been lowered after playing games like Mirror of Fate and Arkham Origins: Blackgate. Guacamelee! was great though and released not that long ago, so I think it's just a love for the genre.

The biggest negative I can think of for the game is just the lack of unique environments. I never had a sense of location in this world, and most of the different zones just felt like the previous. Whereas in games like Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night, some of the greatest moments are discovering new locations and environments, which were all distinct and memorable.

Top Bottom