• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

I only really buy records from The Prodigy, used to buy Happy Hardcore but i dont listen to that anymore, into break beat now so slowly building up my collection
Anyways, here my Prodigy 12" and 7" collection

exp_V.jpg

Andriod bootleg, What Evil Lurks, Charly, Everybody In The Place, Everybody In The Place, Fire/Jericho, The Prodigy Experience 2x12" album, Out Of Space UK 12" promo, Wind It Up, Out Of Space

JIL_V.jpg

One Love, No Good UK 12" promo, No Good, Voodoo People, Poison, Poison UK 12" promo, Music For The jiltedGeneration 2x12" album

FAT_V.jpg

Firestarter UK 12" promo, Firestarter, Firestarter US 12" promo, Breathe, Fat Of The Land 2x12" album, Smack My Bitch Up

AONO_V.jpg

Babys Got A Temper UK 12" promo, Babys Got A Temper, Girls/Memphis Bells UK 2 track promo 12", Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned 3x12" album, Girls, Hotride, Spitfire

TL_V.jpg

Charly reissue, What Evil Lurks reissue, Voodoo People/Smack My Bitch Up remixes promo, Out Of Space remixes promo, Voodoo People/ Out Of Space remixes, Voodoo People/Out Of Space remixes

IMD_V.jpg

Omen, Invaders must Die 2x12" album, Warriors Dance, Take Me To TheHospital, Invaders Must Die boxset 5x7" CD/DVD and Lost Beats EP

VP_MUTE.jpg

Voodoo People US 12"

atg.jpg

Against The Grain 3x10" XL recordings Promo

Picture009.jpg

Spitfire UK 12" promo andpress sheet

smbufr.jpg

Smack My Bitch Up 1 sided 1 track French 12" promo

wwwwwwww.jpg

Wind It Up US 12"

MiSC_V.jpg

Flint Asteroids 10" 2 copies, and Charly, Everybody In The Place, Out Of Space, Fire/Jericho 7"

Also have Girls/Mephis Bells US 12" promo and Hotride US 4 track promo 12" which iv not got pics of :D

My full Prodigy collection is here http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=evanswolves82

Winged Creature said:
I have the Xpression III it is a fantastic table, the speed box makes it even better.

thanks.

I've been out listening to several turntables (Music Hall mmf 2.1/mmf 5.1, Rega P1/P2) and for the price/performance felt the Xpression III is the one for me. Was thinking of either the NAD PP2 or the Pro-Ject Phono Box II as a pre-amp as well. Can't wait.

How much sound performance did the speed box do for you other than convenience?

The speed box made the speed dead on, no slight fluctuations at all. Improved in all areas, openess, bass etc. As for phono stages i like the Cambridge Audio 640P more then the NAD, Ive dealt with both and preferred the Cambridge. Its received its fair share of stellar reviews so check that one out.

^^^thanks again
I'll probably try that speed box out eventually. I'd like to take gradual steps in adding stuff so i can experience every change in the system :)

I've also been hearing good things about the Bellari VP130. My friend has one and raves about it. They can be had used for about the same price as new Pro-Ject/NAD phono-stages.

Just got word that the Pro-Ject RPM1 Genie will be making it's way to North America soon for $479 CND (maybe $449 USD?)

The exact date will be announced in the next few weeks or so.

nitewulf

just set up my analog front end.

first, my first vinyls:

turntable:

phono pre-amp:

question, where can i buy brit-pop and new wave vinyls online?

nitewulf

Giant Robot said:
Nitewulf- What kind of TT and phono stage is that? How do you like it?
The table is an Origin Live! Aurora MK2. The phono stage is an Eastern Electric Minimax Vacuum Tube Phono Preamplifier. I just set everything up this weekend, and had a few hours of listening session with the setup. It sounds very beautiful, smooth, full bodied, with a lot of dynamics and slam. Very involving, it makes you tap your toes, I mean all of this is due to the synergy with the rest of my system as well (Preamplifier -> Power amplifier -> Speakers), but the analog components do sound very different from my digital front end, I find the vinyl setup to be more dynamic and involving.

Sanskrit

God, I love vinyls. My dad has a big collection in the garage. Among others, the complete Beatles Collection from the 70's :D

nitewulf

my wife just got me Coltrane's "Blue Train", 200gram pressing and Miles Davis' "In a Silent Way". I was floored, both by the fact that she got me those completely as a surprise...I took her to Academy like once, and she re-traced not only my steps but got me two stunning albums on her own whim, and secondly, the albums are stunning, just beautiful sounding.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Currently listening to Deadwing by Porcupine Tree on blue vinyl. Haven't listened to this through my valve preamp yet and thus far it's a revelation.

nitewulf

devore fidelity speakers are very nice! i auditioned the gibbons when i was shopping. he makes 'em right in brooklyn too!

they sell both shindo gear and devore gear at In Living Stereo. where was this?

btf1980

nitewulf said:
devore fidelity speakers are very nice! i auditioned the gibbons when i was shopping. he makes 'em right in brooklyn too!

they sell both shindo gear and devore gear at In Living Stereo. where was this?

At the DeVore Fidelity factory! The listening room is actually John DeVore's office. Yeah. :lol

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I picked up Pink floyd - the final cut for 10 pound mint condition did i get a good deal ?

ravien56

So I finally picked up a record player, first one, and listening to my vinyls on it, I'm hearing a lot of static. If its playing through just speakers, its enough that it bothers me but when I plug in the headphones, goddamnit. Is it just a shit record player?

There's a record fair here tomorrow and I guess I am going. Too bad I have already spent most of my money on records this week anyway. I am hoping to score at least couple of LP's and 7"s anyway.

ravien56 said:
So I finally picked up a record player, first one, and listening to my vinyls on it, I'm hearing a lot of static. If its playing through just speakers, its enough that it bothers me but when I plug in the headphones, goddamnit. Is it just a shit record player?

It might be a shitty needle, dirty records... many possible reasons. Clean the needle, clean the record and check if your turntable is properly grounded etc.

ravien56

PetriP-TNT said:
There's a record fair here tomorrow and I guess I am going. Too bad I have already spent most of my money on records this week anyway. I am hoping to score at least couple of LP's and 7"s anyway.

It might be a shitty needle, dirty records... many possible reasons. Clean the needle, clean the record and check if your turntable is properly grounded etc.
The records are new so I doubt it....and the player itself is pretty new but how do I clean the needle? Also, how do I know if its properly grounded? Kinda new to the vinyl game.

nitewulf

check all the connections, i mean the audio interconnects between the turntable and your amplifier, make sure they are nice and tight, the cables are properly shielded etc.

there should be a ground wire from your tone arm, if not, I guess the maufacturer designed it that way. if you do have it, connect it to a ground terminal on your amplifier.

don't touch the needle with a brush or something, i guess blow on it hard, and brush the cartridge body itself for dust, fabric, lint etc.

btf1980

Interplay 45rpm - Bill Evans (one of the rare times he worked with a horn player outside of Kind of Blue)
DSC_0004-55.jpg

DSC_0001-64.jpg

DSC_0002-64.jpg

DSC_0003-60.jpg

Gil Evans - Into the hot!!!
DSC_0007-48.jpg

Duke Ellington records, most are original pressings!
DSC_0006-50.jpg

DSC_0008-42.jpg

DSC_0009-34.jpg

Midas

Can I somehow clean my pickup needle? I think they're dirty or something, there's no way that I have killed two needles in less than a year so it must be something else. Maybe the whole tone arm on my 1210 needs a replacement?

nitewulf

yeah you can use the Onzow ZeroDust to clean your needle.

BTF, the Night Train album is fantastic, are all these 45s $50/album?

I wish the analogue productions/music matters releases were cheaper, since they sound bloody amazing. Beacause of the prices i just get the sacd by analogue productions.

nitewulf

i just scored an original copy of Pet Shop Boys' debut album for 2 bucks...the thing sounds bloody amazing, it was almost never played...gotta keep perusing the local thrift stores and flea markets...:lol

is jazz samba out in any of these fancy versions? i may buy a few of my absolute favorites...

Midas

nitewulf said:
yeah you can use the Onzow ZeroDust to clean your needle.

BTF, the Night Train album is fantastic, are all these 45s $50/album?

That was expensive, still cheaper than a new needle though. Thanks for the tip!

I see someone picked up that Bob&Gene album, good stuff. Is crazy that it took 40 something years for that album to finally release.

btf1980

ShinobiFist said:
I see someone picked up that Bob&Gene album, good stuff. Is crazy that it took 40 something years for that album to finally release.

I know, that's insane. Great album too.

btf1980

I've been listening to music now for at least 4 hours everyday. I wish this was a full time job.

Max Roach!
DSC_0016-17.jpg

Original pressing of This is June Christy.
DSC_0017-23.jpg

Original pressing of this Count Basie
DSC_0019-14.jpg

Original Living Stereo RCA Victor Red Seals
DSC_0012-27.jpg

DSC_0013-21.jpg

DSC_0014-19.jpg

DSC_0026-12.jpg

DSC_0020-12.jpg

DSC_0024-11.jpg

About a dozen golden mercury imports from the Netherlands.
DSC_0021-15.jpg

DSC_0025-9.jpg

DSC_0027-11.jpg

btf1980

Latest haul...

DSC_0005-59.jpg

Japanese import of Introducing Lee Morgan. He was only 18 when he recorded this album. The album was recorded literally a day after his debut album as a leader, Lee Morgan Indeed! Crazy.
DSC_0002-66.jpg

Afrobeat legend Tony Allen's "Homecooking". Crazy good.
DSC_0003-64.jpg

DSC_0002-67.jpg

Coltrane kills on the album.
DSC_0004-57.jpg

Next 4 are 45rpms from AP & MM.

DSC_0006-54.jpg

DSC_0007-50.jpg

DSC_0008-44.jpg

DSC_0009-37.jpg

DSC_0010-30.jpg

DSC_0012-28.jpg

nitewulf

btf, what stores if any, do you buy from in the city? so far i liked Academy (LES) the best, any other stores where they have reasonably priced jazz lps (Bleecker St. Records is decent as well)?

Top Bottom