• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

btf1980

Got some new 45 rpms in. :)

John Coltrane Quartet - Crescent (ORG)
DSC_0006-38.jpg

Little tidbit. The pic in the gatefold insert was used as the cover for the A Love Supreme album.
DSC_0010-20.jpg

Jackie McLean - Swing, Swang, Swangin' (Music Matters)
DSC_0004-44.jpg

DSC_0006-37.jpg

Ben Webster - See You At the Fair (Analogue Productions)
DSC_0001-49.jpg

Oliver Nelson - The Blues And The Abstract Truth (Analog Productions) - The lineup speaks for itself here, look at the names on the cover! Talk about a dream team of talent.
DSC_0002-53.jpg

Midas

btf1980 said:
I think Art Blakey, Sonny Rollins, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean and early Coltrane are good places to start personally.

Just saw your reply. :lol

I'm going to pick up something from someone of these names and see if it's something for me. :)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
blame space said:
I was just given a Mcintosh C-32 preamp. So, uh, I guess it's time to upgrade my turntable, right?

Very nice. Yes, you'll not only need to upgrade your turntable but everything else if you want to take advantage of the C32.

Witchfinder General said:
Very nice. Yes, you'll not only need to upgrade your turntable but everything else if you want to take advantage of the C32.

Damnit! How much are we talking here? I'm probably way too poor to actually take advantage of it. Maybe I'll sell it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
blame space said:
Damnit! How much are we talking here? I'm probably way too poor to actually take advantage of it. Maybe I'll sell it.

Think $1000 per component, i.e. Power amp, CD/turntable, speakers. If you're not willing to shell out anything more than sofa-change then either sell it (what a shame) or give it back to your dad.

Witchfinder General said:
Think $1000 per component, i.e. Power amp, CD/turntable, speakers. If you're not willing to shell out anything more than sofa-change then either sell it (what a shame) or give it back to your dad.

it was actually in my cousin's step dad's garage along with some other matching a/v equipment (power amp, radio). no turntable or speakers, though. drats.

pj

Banned
blame space said:
it was actually my cousin's step dad's garage along with some other matching a/v equipment (power amp, radio). no turntable or speakers, though. drats.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Witchfinder General's opinions

nitewulf

blame space said:
it was actually my cousin's step dad's garage along with some other matching a/v equipment (power amp, radio). no turntable or speakers, though. drats.
keep the c32, its a vintage mcintosh...just upgrade one component at a time. you'd be a fool to sell it.

I only buy vinyl. These days most come w/the digital copy packed in anyway, so for ~$20 you're getting a lossless reproduction and the digital convenience of a CD.

pj said:
I wouldn't put too much stock in Witchfinder General's opinions

why not? Anyone have any speaker + turntable recommendations? I assume that's all I need, right? Since I have the pre-amp and power amp.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
blame space said:
why not? Anyone have any speaker + turntable recommendations? I assume that's all I need, right? Since I have the pre-amp and power amp.

You know you started this thread right? :lol

What happened to the gear you used to have? I know this thread has lots of turntable recommendations, just check back. You should ignore Witchfinder because he masturbates to hifi catalogs, you don't need to spend 5 grand to get great sound that you will enjoy.

Borgnine said:
You know you started this thread right? :lol

What happened to the gear you used to have? I know this thread has lots of turntable recommendations, just check back. You should ignore Witchfinder because he masturbates to hifi catalogs, you don't need to spend 5 grand to get great sound that you will enjoy.
:lol yes, of course. however, up until this point I've been a "$150 built-in preamp TT -> shitty computer speakers" kind of vinyl listener, unfortunately.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Well, as far as my vinyl listening goes, I have a franken-setup of stuff that I've inherited from parents and my brother.

There's the turntable itself (the only new component):
DSC_5651.jpg

Not ideal I know, but it's really all I could afford on a limited budget. If I'd known that Calgary actually has about 8 record stores when I bought this...anyways.

The table is connected to an old amp I got from my parents when we upgraded the family room media center:
DSC_5661.jpg

Which goes out to my speakers, which my brother gave me when he upgraded his set:
DSC_5654.jpg

It's actually a 5.0 setup, with the other two mounted on the wall where I usually sit.

Half my collection is from my parents (left side) and the rest is mine.
DSC_5645.jpg

My mom listened to some pretty good music back in the day.

Pride of my collection would probably be my copy of Parallax Error Beheads You, signed by Ben Jacobs (Max Tundra).
DSC_5526.jpg

blame space said:
:lol yes, of course. however, up until this point I've been a "$150 built-in preamp TT -> shitty computer speakers" kind of vinyl listener, unfortunately.

audiogon is your friend, you can find a decent, amp, TT and speakers there. Lots of people have built very nice systems for $500 to $1000.

FnordChan

For Christmas I got a new record player: The Numark TTUSB.

numark.jpg

Yes, it's a cheap new USB turntable, but it does the trick and it was available dirt cheap from Amazon. I consider it to be a stopgap until I can track down a nicer turntable, whenever that may or may not be. I'm also looking forward to putting it's digitization capabilities (including the 1/8" input to USB support) to good use.

In celebration of the new record player, I finally got around to borrowing a camera and took some fairly dodgy pics of my latest acquisitions. First off, a couple of albums I snagged earlier in the year:

disco-soccer-censored.jpg

I freely admit that I was compelled to buy Sidiku Buari's Disco Soccer for the awesome cover. (I figured I'd best do a bit of censoring just to keep it on the safe side; you can see the NSFW original here.) Cover aside, I was also psyched to hear the combination of disco sounds and Ghana grooves, and while the results were a lot heavier on the disco than I expected I'm definitely not complaining.

Speaking of awesome covers:

saturday.jpg

It took a bit of doing to track down the Wax Poetics double-LP reissue of the Lyman Woodard Organization's Saturday Night Special, but thankfully I was able to find it available via discogs.com from a local seller who allowed me to drop by and pick it up rather than go through shipping. At any rate, the music here is fantastic in a funky soul jazz sort of way.

Meanwhile, each and every People's Potential Unlimited release continues to kick ass. Here's some of their latest:

tri-fire.jpg

When you're rescuing cassette tape demos it's not exactly audiophile material, but I'm still digging the hell out of Tri-Fire Volume One, releasing rare material from the founders of the Midnight Express Show Band. But, the synth funk shines through and there's a nice insert in the PPU fashion.

ppu45s.jpg

There are also a couple of new 45 releases available from People's Potential. First off, 4 Reel's "One Life To Live"/"Oh Lover" has been lovingly resurrected from private label obscurity. Then there's "Love Junky" by Dr. Otto Gomez(!), which is as awesome as it sounds.

I decided that I needed a couple of records to go along with the player under the tree, so these were waiting for me on Christmas morning:

mulatu.jpg

The celebrated Mulatu Astatke's 1972 album Mulatu of Ethiopia was quietly gathering dust at my local record shop. It's a nice 180 gram reissue featuring that awesome Ethiopiques sound.

world1.jpg

The same shop has been stocking some recent Honest Jons albums compiled from their raids on the EMI archives, including The World is Shaking: Cubanismo From The Congo 1954-55. It's a terrific document of the infusion of jazz, Latin, and European pop music into the traditional Congolese sound, with plenty of tunes spread out over two LPs, with detailed liner notes to put it all into perspective.

world2.jpg

I'll be heading back to the shop for some more Honest Jons action after I've had some time to absorb this round.

Finally, I couldn't resist grabbing at least a couple of albums from the newly remastered and reissued Kraftwerk discography.

kraftwerk.jpg

Each album came in a cover sleeve, with the original vinyl artwork inside, along with a full-sized booklet of pictures to admire while enjoying the pioneering music. I'd be happy to have the entire catalog, but the two I most wanted were Autobahn...

autobahn1.jpg

autobahn2.jpg

...and Radio-Activity.

radio1.jpg

radio2.jpg

And there you have it. Hurrah for Kraftwerk! Hurrah for vinyl!

FnordChan

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
This thread has reminded me i have an old deck in my attic from a long time ago when my dad was.. ripping vinyls to the PC i believe.. he must have got rid of them after because i never saw any vinyls after that.
I msy dig it out or see if there are any old records still up there.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
my old man's turntable finally died this weekend... i'm looking to replace it with something nice, what models should i be looking at? maybe in the $80 - 120 price range?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Holy fuck, i'd like to scrap my last comment. It dawned on me where the records may be hiding if we still had them, and sure enough. Back of a cupboard in my drum room. Nice big stack of 45RPMs and the bigger ones, which i have yet to dig out but i'm guessing those are 33RPM?

EDIT: Found the deck. In good nick except the bloody needle has broken off. Got the cartridge out i just need to find somewhere i can get me a new one of these.
EDIT 2: Oh and then i realised the bit the arm rests on when it's off has dissapeared. I reckon that'll be in the box i found the turntable in though so i'll go back up to the attic tomorrow and glue it back on if i find it.
EDIT 3: Got a replacement stylus today, £12.50 for the damn needle.
Anyway i've been listening to some Stone Roses from my mum's collection. Loving it but i'm mainly going to be using this as an outlet for Drum n Bass and Dubstep vinyls. I can't wait to pick up some good shit.

WEGGLES

jon bones said:
my old man's turntable finally died this weekend... i'm looking to replace it with something nice, what models should i be looking at? maybe in the $80 - 120 price range?
If you're only willing to spend ~$80-120 on a turntable look into used stuff then.

A new $80 turntable won't be any good.

WEGGLES said:
If you're only willing to spend ~$80-120 on a turntable look into used stuff then.

A new $80 turntable won't be any good.
Yeah this. Look in your local flea markets/salvation army places and such, you should be able to find some quality turntables for that price

I found a bunch of ollllld Muscle Shoals and Stax records the other day at my record store, I almost shat myself. Picked up like 10 singles and a couple LPs :D

STG!

FnordChan said:
I freely admit that I was compelled to buy Sidiku Buari's Disco Soccer for the awesome cover. (I figured I'd best do a bit of censoring just to keep it on the safe side; you can see the NSFW original here.) Cover aside, I was also psyched to hear the combination of disco sounds and Ghana grooves, and while the results were a lot heavier on the disco than I expected I'm definitely not complaining.

Haha, yeah, it's amazing what they can get away with back then for the cover art. One of my personal favorites below, only because it has one of the tastiest breaks on it my ears have ever heard.

blowfly.jpg

FnordChan

STG! said:
Haha, yeah, it's amazing what they can get away with back then for the cover art. One of my personal favorites below, only because it has one of the tastiest breaks on it my ears have ever heard.

That's amazing. The world definitely needs more album cover art just like that, especially if tasty breaks are included.

FnordChan

btf1980

Got a few records. Before I go further, I just want to make a quick note about Christian McBride & his band, Inside Straight. These guys are consummate pros and are the real deal! I've seen McBride a few times, and he never disappoints. His latest album, Kind of Brown is great. I picked up the 210gram double lp version naturally. It's a limited run, so once it's sold out, that's it.

I took some pics of him performing on Tuesday. To say he killed it is an understatement. His bass playing on the Freddie Hubbard song, "Theme For Kareem" was amazing.

DSC_0018-11.jpg

The sax player was incredible.

DSC_0047-1.jpg

On to the records.

Christian McBride - Kind of Brown
DSC_0010-23.jpg

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me - 45 RPM - Classic Records (Clarity Vinyl)
DSC_0013-17.jpg

DSC_0015-16.jpg

DSC_0019-11.jpg

Gil Evans Orchestra - Out of the cool - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
DSC_0021-12.jpg

Hank Mobley - Roll Call - 45 RPM (Music Matters)
DSC_0023-9.jpg

DSC_0024-7.jpg

Horace Parlan - Spur of the moment - 45 RPM (Music Matters)
DSC_0027-7.jpg

DSC_0029-9.jpg

Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame - 45 RPM (Music Matters)
DSC_0033-4.jpg

DSC_0035-4.jpg

btf1980 have you considered getting any of those Hoffman/Gray masters on SACD?? I picked up a few on SACD, the only 45s i got were from the music matters releases.

btf1980

Winged Creature said:
btf1980 have you considered getting any of those Hoffman/Gray masters on SACD?? I picked up a few on SACD, the only 45s i got were from the music matters releases.

I have all the SACDs released so far also. :D

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
PetriP-TNT said:
Yeah this. Look in your local flea markets/salvation army places and such, you should be able to find some quality turntables for that price

managed to trade an Audio Technica AT-PL50 for a bag of coke

515815M208L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

So I have been eyeing the Pro-Ject Debut III and the Xpression III turntables. Any other comparable manufacturers I should be looking at? Music Hall, Rega?

my setup right now consists of:
Receiver- Pioneer Elite 84-TSXi
Amplifier- B&K Reference 200.7
Subwoofer- Velodyne DD-10
Speakers- B&W 683 (l/r)

this setup was mainly built around gaming and movies, but is a little versatile. Most likely will be getting rid of the receiver for a A/V processor, probably a B&K Reference 70

btf1980

Giant Robot said:
So I have been eyeing the Pro-Ject Debut III and the Xpression III turntables. Any other comparable manufacturers I should be looking at? Music Hall, Rega?

Speakers- B&W 683 (l/r)

this setup was mainly built around gaming and movies, but is a little versatile. Most likely will be getting rid of the receiver for a A/V processor, probably a B&K Reference 70

The Xpression is a great table for the money imo.

btf1980

Just got the John Coltrane Heavyweight Champion boxset. These are his complete recordings on Atlantic.

DSC_0003-53.jpg

Booklet is pretty informative.
DSC_0004-50.jpg

The titles.
DSC_0007-42.jpg

DSC_0008-38.jpg

Double lp of outtakes from his various Atlantic sessions.
DSC_0010-25.jpg

nitewulf

Giant Robot said:

Speakers- B&W 683 (l/r)

Pro-Ject seems to have a new entry level line:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-RPM1-3-Turntable-in-Red?sc=2&category=352

I've also heard good things about the Rega P5, the tonearm is supposed to be very good.

jon bones said:
You're willing to spend $500 on yet another pair of shoes, not to mention what I hope is quality weed and coke, and you set your bar for audio at ~$100? smh.

btf1980

Figured I would post this here.

I'm a member of a meetup group called http://analogapartment.com/

It's a group of vinyl enthusiasts that meetup to discuss records, visit local record stores, listen to hifi etc Our last meetup event was at the legendary Stereo Exchange in NYC (happens to be my dealer too) - http://stereoexchange.com/

So we listened to some music and perused the gear, talked about music & hifi. It was a great time. I also took some pics between chatting & listening.

The organizer is looking to setup a visit to Grado Labs in Brooklyn. So anyone in the NYC area is free to join our group.

The NYC Analog Apartment Meetup (New York, NY) - Meetup.com

Anyway, here are some pics.

Michell Gyrodec w/ a Rega tonearm
DSC_0002-57.jpg

DSC_0006-44.jpg

DSC_0003-52.jpg

Bel Canto CD2 & Ayre Universal Player
DSC_0004-49.jpg

Another Michell turntable
DSC_0007-41.jpg

Ayre amplifier. Very dynamic!
DSC_0005-50.jpg

Sonus Faber Liuto speakers
DSC_0009-28.jpg

Wavelength & Ayre gear
DSC_0008-37.jpg

Rel sub - Meridian dock to the side
DSC_0012-24.jpg

The room - Ayre, Sonus Faber, Michell, Bel Canto, Wavelength, Richard Gray, Rel, Shunyata etc
DSC_0011-20.jpg

Sonus Faber Liutos were incredible
DSC_0015-17.jpg

Listening to the Gyrodec
DSC_0016-16.jpg

btf1980

Then we stepped it up and went to these

Totem Wind speakers with Ayre gear...
DSC_0017-19.jpg

DSC_0020-10.jpg

Ayre turntable - forget the cartridge on it.
DSC_0022-10.jpg

The power supply for the turntable was gigantic!!
DSC_0024-8.jpg

Ayre player
DSC_0023-10.jpg

Monoblocks on pagode stands - Audio Research to the right
DSC_0025-6.jpg

Sonus Faber Stradivari ($45K) and some Meridian speakers.
DSC_0026-9.jpg

Vienna Acoustic - The Music speakers $27k?
DSC_0028-10.jpg

Sonus Faber
DSC_0029-10.jpg

DSC_0036-5.jpg

btf1980

Sonus Faber Amati - $30k? Notice the Quad speakers in the back.
DSC_0037-3.jpg

Mac attack - McIntosh
DSC_0040-4.jpg

Entry level Michell turntable
DSC_0042-1.jpg

MC-275 tube McIntosh amp - LUSH!!
DSC_0045-2.jpg

Wadia & Audio Research gear on pagodes - I think there is enough $$$ in this room to put someone through law school.
DSC_0047-2.jpg

DSC_0014-17.jpg

Shunyata King Cobra power cords connected to an Audio Research tube amp.
DSC_0039-2.jpg

DSC_0062-1.jpg

B&W 805s, Pro-ject rpm5, McIntosh MVP871 and an integrated.
DSC_0054-3.jpg

DSC_0052-2.jpg

B&W, Vienna Acoustics & Sonus Faber
DSC_0055-2.jpg

Audio Research tubes
DSC_0057-2.jpg

DSC_0058-2.jpg

DSC_0059-2.jpg

The big daddies. 802D from B&W with a ton of Mac gear. Can you feel the heat?
DSC_0063-2.jpg

Mac glow.
DSC_0066-1.jpg

802D
DSC_0065-2.jpg

Sonus Faber Ellipsas with some mac tubes....
DSC_0070-2.jpg

DSC_0072-1.jpg

Mac attack
DSC_0067-2.jpg

STG!

Some lovely toys in those pics, thanks for sharing. The Mc equipment is just gorgeous, I love the sound output on them.

I think it's time to make another big vinyl purchase this week, been mostly buying a couple here, a couple there. Got the itch.

Dwayne

hey, i'm just getting started in vinyl, can anyone suggest a good vinyl community? What's the neogaf in the vinyl world?
I'd be keen to buy/sell/trade too, instead of dealing with ebay. I've had some good bargins from the gaf Buy/Sell/Trade thread so looking for something like that.

Anyone know of any good EU stores that have a decent selection of current vinyl? I've always had an vinyl-player around (first my dads, now my GFs) and I've come to the conclusion that I really want the majority of my music on vinyl. So far I've had to order from labels directly, which have meant fairly high costs for delivery.

I kinda shot myself in the foot by being a metal/alternative nut, which kinda limits my chances compared to being a jazz-geek :p

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Shrike_Priest said:
Anyone know of any good EU stores that have a decent selection of current vinyl? I've always had an vinyl-player around (first my dads, now my GFs) and I've come to the conclusion that I really want the majority of my music on vinyl. So far I've had to order from labels directly, which have meant fairly high costs for delivery.

I kinda shot myself in the foot by being a metal/alternative nut, which kinda limits my chances compared to being a jazz-geek :p

As the resident Meta/vinyl audiophile on GAF let me point you to a few sites I use for my record purchasing:

http://www.theomegaorder.com/
http://www.relapse.com/store/product.aspx

+ Amazon, eBay, etc...

Giant Robot said:

Speakers- B&W 683 (l/r)

I have the Xpression III it is a fantastic table, the speed box makes it even better.

STG!

Dwayne said:
hey, i'm just getting started in vinyl, can anyone suggest a good vinyl community? What's the neogaf in the vinyl world?
I'd be keen to buy/sell/trade too, instead of dealing with ebay. I've had some good bargins from the gaf Buy/Sell/Trade thread so looking for something like that.

www.discogs.com

Happy hunting. :)

Top Bottom