• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

btf1980

I like 3 stores.

Tropicalia in Furs (For rare stuff)
Good Records (Funk, Soul, Afrobeat, Jazz - Their used records are vacuum cleaned)
Permanent Records in Greenpoint Brooklyn (Decent stuff and all their used records are vacuum cleaned)

GAF, bought my first LP today, will be delivered in a week or so. (Machinarium soundtrack.) I bought it as a collectible, but also want to listen to it.

What decent turntable can I get for ~200$ total (don't hurt me -_-).

I use Swan M10 speakers right now. No Amp, so will need a player that has a built in phono-amp. (Something that can be bypassed if I decide to get an amp/better speakers later?)

I don't mind going the used route (ebay or elsewhere).

Also, is there a website/forum that discusses how newer LPs are mastered compared to the Amazon/iTunes/CD version?

4157187718_dbcf154526.jpg

Im not sure how many of your are familiar with the library label Montparnasse 2000 aka MP2000 but its a favorite of mine. Library music is music made to be background music for tv and movies but there is also some really good music there.

The biggest guy of MP2000 is Janko Nilovic but other talented people did work for the label. You might have heard the music of Nilovic and not known it as one of his tracks was sampled for the Jay-Z song D.O.A. and the Beatnuts have also sampled him in the past. And lots of people have sampled from various MP2000 songs including MF Doom and Kid Koala. Also you can hear MP2000 music in the anime series Gatchaman aka Battle of the Planets.

On my site i have a regular feature called MP2000 Monday where i share a song or two a week. Also on the site is an informational super post on the label with cover art, tracklisting, links to songs, where to buy the records etc. The MP2000 super post is a work in progress where new info is updated on a regular basis and i welcome anything people can add. So check out the links below GAF to learn more about one of my favorite labels

MP2000 Super Post (part 1)

MP2000 Monday songs

Flickr MP2000 cover art set

I just bought a turntable this week so I could play the Eli soundtrack and Bioshock 2 vinyl record on it. It's nothing special, Sony PSLX250H, entry-level unit, sounds pretty good and cost less than $100. I'm sure such a cheap choice will be egregious to the true audiophiles here but it's good enough for my purposes, I just wanted to put a toe in the water and if I really get into it I can always upgrade to a superior unit down the line.

4429261751_6fc88364f2_b.jpg

4429261567_9e482a80cb_b.jpg

I definitely think it could be the start of a cool new hobby though, I'm off to Amoeba records soon to see what kind of interesting finds I can make, and it makes me wish I still had all my old vinyl from when I was a kid!

btf1980

Gary, I'm sure you can swing a Pro-ject Debut 3. They are very affordable, and it will make a world of difference. If that turntable complete with cartridge cost less than $100, that cartridge must be atrocious.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Cool thread.

I sold most of my vinyl years ago including many regrets of original prints of Metallicas Puppets, justice and Black Ablum but I did keep this one and it's probably my most treasured. Sorry for image quality (taken with my phone)

24xf3hw.gif

Here's the cheapo turntable I got:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005T3XH/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It got lots of good reviews (4/5 overall) although I'm sure from people far less audio-centric than the posters here. Since I literally own one vinyl record right now and not sure if I'm really going to get into it I wasn't about to splash out hundreds of dollars on a unit just yet. After a couple of trips to the vinyl store I'll see if this something I could really get into as a hobby and if so I'd consider upgrading to something like that Pro-Ject deck.

WEGGLES

I had that one. It's OK.

It's not the best, by far. But It plays records and you don't have to worry about droppin the needle too hard or what not since it's an auto.

I got my carbon fibre brush in the mail.

Do I brush the side I'm playing before I play. Or do I brush both sides before playing?

And can I just start the turntable and brush it there (with out the needle on the record, of course)

WEGGLES

Hmm. It seems to work great on most records.

Though
Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone still has an unlistenable amount of static-y surface noise. :[

Sometimes when I brush a record, listen, then go to flip it the mat sticks to the record (It's just the felt one that came with my Debut III). Should I get a new one, or is that fine?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
WEGGLES said:
Hmm. It seems to work great on most records.

Though
Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone still has an unlistenable amount of static-y surface noise. :[

Sometimes when I brush a record, listen, then go to flip it the mat sticks to the record (It's just the felt one that came with my Debut III). Should I get a new one, or is that fine?

No, that's normal. Some records will still retain a static charge for various reasons. You may also need to get a record washing fluid and microfibre cloth for the odd stubborn record.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh this thread is nice.

I have 2 or 3 boxes of old vinyl. Does anyone think they are semi knowledge able on prices / rarity or know a good forum for that kind of thing?

I'll need time to dig them all out and such. (I feel like I should keep some, but 3 boxes with the amount of room I have now is not so good)

Alucrid

Banned
Hazaro said:
Oh this thread is nice.

I have 2 or 3 boxes of old vinyl. Does anyone think they are semi knowledge able on prices / rarity or know a good forum for that kind of thing?

I'll need time to dig them all out and such. (I feel like I should keep some, but 3 boxes with the amount of room I have now is not so good)

discogs.com? Maybe search for the albums you have and see what they're going for.

WEGGLES

Witchfinder General said:
No, that's normal. Some records will still retain a static charge for various reasons. You may also need to get a record washing fluid and microfibre cloth for the odd stubborn record.
Will do.

Later.

Broke currently :lol

In other news I got Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions in the mail today. The first record I've gotten that I'd say sounds significantly better than mp3.

All my records sound better than MP3. But this is the first one that is a lot better.

No suggestions from GAF, I am disappoint. :(

Anyway, after some interwebs research, ended up getting a Vintage Rega Planar 2 (Glass Platter with R200 tonearm, Grado ZF1 Cartridge, Original Box and close to mint visual condition) off Craigslist for 150$. Also got a TCC TC-750LC phono preamp off ebay.

Definitely a step up form my previous setup of mp3s-->Onboard sound card-->speakers

seltax.jpg

w1bpcg.jpg

2ywshw8.jpg

Also, is it ok to keep the tt plugged in all the time?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Probably. I keep mine plugged in.

Here's something awesome:
GGRP_DM_poster.jpg

The company created a record player from a corrugated cardboard envelope that can hold a 45 rpm record in place. Just spin it with a pencil, and voila, vibrations pass through the needle to generate a recording of a children's story called "A town that found its sound." It's a brilliant marketing idea--and a great reason to upcycle old pieces of cardboard.
So awesome.

whatsinaname said:
No suggestions from GAF, I am disappoint. :(

Anyway, after some interwebs research, ended up getting a Vintage Rega Planar 2 (Glass Platter with R200 tonearm, Grado ZF1 Cartridge, Original Box and close to mint visual condition) off Craigslist for 150$. Also got a TCC TC-750LC phono preamp off ebay.

Definitely a step up form my previous setup of mp3s-->Onboard sound card-->speakers

seltax.jpg

w1bpcg.jpg

2ywshw8.jpg

Also, is it ok to keep the tt plugged in all the time?

Rega makes nice tables, great choice

WEGGLES said:
In other news I got Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions in the mail today. The first record I've gotten that I'd say sounds significantly better than mp3.

listen to it at maximum volume!
the tones on that album are so fucking amazing.

nitewulf

Latest haul, all 180g vinyl:

NewLPs.jpg

been listening to the coltrane and chet baker albums, basically....i cant describe the beauty in words. so good.

nitewulf said:
Latest haul, all 180g vinyl:

[IM]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/nitewulf/2009%20-%20stereophonic%20spectacular/NewLPs.jpg[/IM]

been listening to the coltrane and chet baker albums, basically....i cant describe the beauty in words. so good.

I don't have any Zeppelin on Vinyl (yet). Should I just get Mothership or look for used copies of the original LPs?

ATF487

There was a used record store by me when I went to school in Amherst, and I have the following:

Radiohead - In Rainbows
R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant and Fables of the Reconstruction
Rolling Stones - December's Children (And Everybody's)
Big Black - Songs About Fucking
U2 - Boy and Unforgettable Fire
Drones - Havilah
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Led Zeppelin - II
and maybe a few others

I bought these when I lived with my room mate and could use his turn table, but now I have nothing to play them on...I see myself buying more vinyl in the future though, 'cause with digital music I've lost all want to buy CDs. I just rip them and put them in a CD wallet, but vinyl is more involved, and sounds different enough from the MP3s to make it a worthwhile supplementary purchase

Jewbacca

Banned
I have

numark_tt200.jpg

It is hooked up to some crappy Insigna 200 watt audio reciever, it sounds nice but I know its is crappy.

We own a ton of Rilo Kiley/Jenny Lewis Albums, All of Radioheads stuff, Thom Yorke, and a ton of oldies that were passed down from wifeys parents.

nitewulf

whatsinaname said:
I don't have any Zeppelin on Vinyl (yet). Should I just get Mothership or look for used copies of the original LPs?
well, here are my thoughts on that:

if you find mint original LP's, they'd probably have the best analog sound, as they were pressed from the original tapes. but they'd still have the 70's rock mixing...which may or may not be enjoyable.

if you find the 80's cds, they were apparently recorded from the original master tapes, so these would be your next best bet on the original sound.

the 90's cd's are the worst of the bunch, highly compressed, loud. i have the 90's box set and its just awfully flat and boring, and you must use equalization for it to sound involving (which is what most normal people do anyway).

pretty sure the mothership vinyl remasters are digital, someone else could chime in, but i guess they would use the original master tapes...remaster to digital format, use the digital source to record the cd's and press the vinyls. i only did play one disk, disk 3 for over the hills and far away, and it was quite enchanting. the songs were remastered under supervision from plant and page, as far as im concerned, whats good enough for them, is good enough for me. very full, warm, and wide soundstage. quiet, noise free and just very pristine audio.

keep in mind, your gear matters in this regard as well.

beautiful art deco artwork, 20 page booklet, back cover...and 4 slip cases w/ original band member photos for each one. it's a great set.

To Have & To Hold

Add this one to your list of must see vinyl inspired documentaries and movies. Director Jony Lyle gives a quick teaser of his upcoming film entitled To Have & To Hold, which Lyle describes as “a ‘musicmentory’ to celebrate the age of vinyl records.”

The film promises enough archive footage, records rooms, music collections, pressing plants, and rare vinyl to satisfy even the most die hard physical music addicts. In addition to its irresistible collectible eye candy, To Have & To Hold, which is scheduled for a 2010 release, features interviews with such notable vinyl aficionados as Questlove, Chuck D, Bobbito Garcia, DJ Amir, Bruce Lundvall, Christian Marclay, and Paul Mawhinney.

http://www.cratekings.com/to-have-to-hold-vinyl-musicmentory-f-questlove/

Questlove's collection is really nice.

nitewulf said:
well, here are my thoughts on that:

if you find mint original LP's, they'd probably have the best analog sound, as they were pressed from the original tapes. but they'd still have the 70's rock mixing...which may or may not be enjoyable.

if you find the 80's cds, they were apparently recorded from the original master tapes, so these would be your next best bet on the original sound.

the 90's cd's are the worst of the bunch, highly compressed, loud. i have the 90's box set and its just awfully flat and boring, and you must use equalization for it to sound involving (which is what most normal people do anyway).

pretty sure the mothership vinyl remasters are digital, someone else could chime in, but i guess they would use the original master tapes...remaster to digital format, use the digital source to record the cd's and press the vinyls. i only did play one disk, disk 3 for over the hills and far away, and it was quite enchanting. the songs were remastered under supervision from plant and page, as far as im concerned, whats good enough for them, is good enough for me. very full, warm, and wide soundstage. quiet, noise free and just very pristine audio.

keep in mind, your gear matters in this regard as well.

beautiful art deco artwork, 20 page booklet, back cover...and 4 slip cases w/ original band member photos for each one. it's a great set.

The cd's from the 80s were made from dubs, not the master tapes.

edit: best bet is to find the original pressings or the RL version of led zeppelin II. If not see if you can scoop up the classic records 200g reissue from the original tapes there not the easiest to find

btf1980

Been busy these last few weeks...

Rob Zombie - Demon Speeding 45
DSC_0002-69.jpg

St. Vincent
DSC_0010-32.jpg

DSC_0011-24.jpg

DSC_0009-38.jpg

Imperial Tiger Orchestra
DSC_0008-46.jpg

White Stripes - Under The Great White Northern Lights (limited ed. vinyl boxset)
DSC_0002-73.jpg

DSC_0004-61.jpg

DSC_0007-53.jpg

DSC_0013-23.jpg

DSC_0024-12.jpg

DSC_0022-14.jpg

The Kills
DSC_0001-71.jpg

Maxine Sullivan
DSC_0005-63.jpg

Buddy Guy
DSC_0014-22.jpg

DSC_0012-29.jpg

Hawk
DSC_0011-26.jpg

DSC_0010-33.jpg

Tons of classical - Living Stereo, Classic Records, original Deutsche Grammaphon pressings...

DSC_0006-57.jpg

DSC_0009-41.jpg

DSC_0003-70.jpg

DSC_0016-19.jpg

DSC_0018-16.jpg

DSC_0019-15.jpg

thefit

Benn scoring some good ones lately. Got this for $2 today

Its Theatre of Hate's first release which was live, a first pressing it does't even have track listings just two strips of tape hand written indicators of the side your playing. The vinyl is mint and sounds great. Awesome pre punk sound too.

1585k7.jpg

btf1980

Got some SXSW swag.

This is the "Texas Sized" Third Man Records stamped edition of White Blood Cells by the White Stripes that was only available at SXSW. It's larger than a normal sized lp. It's a 13 incher! It says "Y'alls turntables ain't big enough." ha!

DSC_0003-72.jpg

Other SXSW goodies from Thirdman Records.

DSC_0005-65.jpg

DSC_0007-56.jpg

DSC_0009-43.jpg

DSC_0012-30.jpg

The Noisettes
DSC_0014-23.jpg

DSC_0010-35.jpg

Cat Power
DSC_0016-20.jpg

The Mighty Imperials
DSC_0018-17.jpg

Raconteurs 7"
DSC_0013-25.jpg

Original RCA Victor mono pressings from the 50s!
DSC_0020-14.jpg

DSC_0023-14.jpg

Lee Morgan - The Rumproller
DSC_0025-11.jpg

Also picked up a few Classics before the prices went up...

DSC_0005-64.jpg

DSC_0003-71.jpg

DSC_0006-58.jpg

DSC_0007-55.jpg

DSC_0009-42.jpg

btf1980

nitewulf said:
are the prices of the classic LP's gonna go up, did you get them from elusivedisk?

The prices are already up. Time Out, Sketches of Spain etc are $50 a pop now. Others are $40. Prices went up because Classic Records was having financial problems. Acoustic Sounds is now the distributor of Classic Records, so prices went up across the board.

I did not get these from Elusive. I have a few connects. I'd be broke if I got all these records from Elusive etc. At $50 a pop, it adds up. :lol

luiztfc

So, I want to jump in in the Vinyl World. Thing is that I don't have the slightest idea of what to buy.

Can you guys recommend me a good entry level turntable and a pre amp?

I guess I'd willing to spend 400 dollars.

luiztfc

Giant Robot said:
the consensus here will tell you Pro-Ject Debut III

Beautiful! It seems that's the one I'm buying. Does it have a pre amp?

@PetriP-TNT

What is a speedbox ?

Edit: Jesus, found it, 150 dollars... I guess I'll buy it next month.

Also, is a cartridge upgrade recommendable?

Alucrid

Banned
luiztfc said:

@PetriP-TNT

What is a speedbox ?

Edit: Jesus, found it, 150 dollars... I guess I'll buy it next month.

Also, is a cartridge upgrade recommendable?

Changes speed from 33 rpm to 45 rpm for 7" records or some 12" ones.

luiztfc said:

no turntables come with a pre-amp/phono stage.
if you have a receiver/pre-pro/integrated amp, check to see if it has a Phono input. I'd get a pre-amp/phono stage before a speed box.

STG!

goldenticket said:
yeah ive bought from them before, i like that you can pay via paypal

They're really good like that. Plus, since they're located in NY I get everything next day. Just snagged some dividers (.040") to clean up the look since I sort everything by label, another 500 poly inner sleeves for the 12's and 100 poly inners for the 7's.

Top Bottom