• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So I finally got my record player setup with a preamp and I think my needle is broken. Nothing happens and it just sounds like it scratches the record. Is getting a new needle easy?

btf1980

Epic score....

45 rpm titles - Music Matters and Analogue Productions

DSC_0009-55.jpg

DSC_0010-45.jpg

DSC_0002-96.jpg

DSC_0003-86.jpg

DSC_0004-80.jpg

DSC_0007-71.jpg

DSC_0012-40.jpg

DSC_0015-29.jpg

DSC_0017-33.jpg

DSC_0018-24.jpg

DSC_0024-15.jpg

DSC_0021-19.jpg

DSC_0025-13.jpg

Japanese Imports

DSC_0030-10.jpg

DSC_0037-5.jpg

DSC_0032-6.jpg

DSC_0036-8.jpg

DSC_0035-8.jpg

DSC_0034-8.jpg

Original pressings

DSC_0011-35.jpg

DSC_0014-31.jpg

DSC_0012-39.jpg

DSC_0002-94.jpg

DSC_0004-78.jpg

DSC_0006-70.jpg

New lp

DSC_0027-13.jpg

Nander

I came home with these yesterday (excuse the shitty phone pic):
LJfNBMyWj.jpg

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM
The National - High Violet
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

ngower

sazabirules said:
So I finally got my record player setup with a preamp and I think my needle is broken. Nothing happens and it just sounds like it scratches the record. Is getting a new needle easy?

Cartridge and stylus replacements are pretty easy. First see what type of cartridge you have and check for what stylus it comes with, then you should be able to find somewhere online that has one for sale. If not, you could find a respectable, new cartridge for pretty cheap if need be.

Got a lot of records this past week.

Yeasayer - Odd Blood
Spoon - Transference
The Murder City Devils - In Name and Blood
Editors - In This Light and On This Evening
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
Hot Chip - One Life Stand

mwfiuh.jpg

9k5sav.jpg

sazabirules said:

what cartridge is it? Some cartridges have replaceable styli (needles) some you have to completely change the cartridge.

TxdoHawk

I want to buy a record player new, rather than monkey around with the used market. I see the Pro-ject Debut III is often mentioned favorably, but I want to listen to 45's more than occasionally, so I think switching the band will get annoying. What's my next best choice around that price range?

WEGGLES

TxdoHawk said:
I want to buy a record player new, rather than monkey around with the used market. I see the Pro-ject Debut III is often mentioned favorably, but I want to listen to 45's more than occasionally, so I think switching the band will get annoying. What's my next best choice around that price range?
I have the debut iii and it's not a huge hassle.

Takes ~30 seconds. Just lift the platter, and move the belt up a notch. It's not a huge deal at all. Especially considering all the other things related to playing vinyl. One more step isn't a huge deal

And you could always get a speed box.

TxdoHawk said:

i have the speed box for my project, well worth the money, not only does it make things convienient it gives the player dead on speed.

a5izxx.jpg

some epic albums i picked up at Amoeba.
David Gilmour - s/t
Rush - Hemispheres
Jesu - Lifeline
Yes - Close To The Edge

and an awesome book about vinyl record stores called Record Store Days.

Picked up a lot of records this week, as one of the record stores opened up their warehouse of 50,000+ records to the public and were selling them for $1 each. I only got to spend an hour in there before I had to go to work, but I found a few good ones.

Regular Price
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
M83 - Digital Shades Vol. 1
Beastie Boys - The Mix-Up
Fever Ray - Fever Ray
Band of Horses - Infinite Arms

$1 each
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Four Way Street
The Kinks - Sleepwalker
Neil Young - Neil Young
Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
The Doors - L.A. Woman
The Who - The Kids Are Alright
Neil Young - Comes A Time

nmjlht.jpg

2iatyde.jpg

6rsdwm.jpg

btf1980

a few goods - glad to have the long out of print 45rpm version of Soultrane!!

DSC_0002-98.jpg

DSC_0001-86.jpg

DSC_0004-82.jpg

DSC_0006-73.jpg

DSC_0010-46.jpg

The following below are all original pressings.

DSC_0001-85.jpg

DSC_0003-89.jpg

DSC_0018-25.jpg

DSC_0017-34.jpg

DSC_0011-36.jpg

LZ & Pink Floyd

DSC_0012-41.jpg

DSC_0013-29.jpg

DSC_0015-30.jpg

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
So I just bought a Kenwood KD-3100 today. Got it for $5 at the local Salvation Army. It seems to run fine but the plastic lid could use replacing. Are there any sites that sell these things or am I better off just looking around on ebay?

Prez

I need some advice for cleaning my records. First I dust them off with a special brush, then I put the records in demineralised water with some alcohol and rub with a very soft cloth I bought for vinyl records. Some questions though:

When should I replace the water? I shouldn't clean my records in dirty water.

How many records can I clean before washing the cloth? Can I wash it with tap water? Otherwise the demineralised water gets dirty.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Winged Creature said:
what cartridge is it? Some cartridges have replaceable styli (needles) some you have to completely change the cartridge.

I don't know what kind of cartridge it is. I'm really new to this hobby and know very little about it. My table is a Dual CS 2110.

Stabbie said:
I need some advice for cleaning my records. First I dust them off with a special brush, then I put the records in demineralised water with some alcohol and rub with a very soft cloth I bought for vinyl records. Some questions though:

When should I replace the water? I shouldn't clean my records in dirty water.

How many records can I clean before washing the cloth? Can I wash it with tap water? Otherwise the demineralised water gets dirty.

i just bought the Spin Clean on sale for $59.99 from Needle Doctor a few weeks ago:
spin_clean_record.jpg

spin_clean_top.jpg

it comes with a 4oz. bottle of solution where you only use about 3-4 drops of solution on the brushes. I washed about 50 records at a time before changing the water/solution out and wiped everything down with a dry cloth provided. Seems to work like a charm, all my records are clean and does not sound as "scratchy" as before.

Prez

Giant Robot said:
i just bought the Spin Clean on sale for $59.99 from Needle Doctor a few weeks ago:
spin_clean_record.jpg

spin_clean_top.jpg

Well, it's not available in my country. I have no idea where to find something like this for cheap. I've been to some vinyl stores and they didn't have it.

I bought these records for €2 total recently:

29yf6si.jpg

Going to the flea market again tomorrow! :D

Really nice finds, Stabbie.

-------

Picked up a LOT of new records this week.

The Black Keys - Brothers (2xLP)
Deerhunter - Cryptograms/Fluorescent Gray EP (2xLP)
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love (2xLP)

uSEgdl.jpg

Echo & The Bunnymen - Songs To Learn and Sing (LP)
The Beatles - Help! (LP)
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest (2xLP)

Ql9QIl.jpg

Neil Young - After The Gold Rush (LP)
The Flaming Lips - Embryonic (2xLP)
Neil Young - Harvest (LP) (Replacing my scratched hand-me-down copy :lol )

iI2bsl.jpg

The Postal Service - Give Up (2xLP)
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True (LP)

HuTuil.jpg

and finally...The Nicene Creedence 4xLP edition of Pavement's Brighten The Corners :D

cmYpbl.jpg

finally had some money to buy a few albums

34xq49u.png

refused - the shape of punk to come
brand new - the devil and god are raging inside me
alkaline trio - alkaline trio
the damned - the black album

Picked up my biggest haul of records ever while I was on a road trip to Denver to see the Dead Weather. There was a place called Independent Records next to the venue and they had a discount section of 33 cent LPs. (I think I did a quadruple take when I saw this :lol ) I picked up 31 albums for a total of $11.02

qAMKul.jpg

LCD Soundsystem - Bye Bye Bayou
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
The Byrds - Live At Royal Albert Hall 1971

Enzfel.jpg

Past Lives - Strange Symmetry
My Brightest Diamond - Like A Thousand Shark's Teeth
No Age - Weirdo Rippers

NZo3nl.jpg

Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh
The Shaky Hands - Lunglight
The Shaky Hands - Let it Die

HqTTVl.jpg

Radiohead - My Iron Lung EP
Radiohead - No Surprises EP
Radiohead - Just EP
Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees EP
Radiohead - Creep 4 Track EP

1jgdbl.jpg

Radiohead - Pyramid Song EP
Radiohead - Karma Police EP
Radiohead - 2+2=5 EP
Radiohead - Drill 4 Track EP
Radiohead - High & Dry Planet Telex aa single

rvCRAl.jpg

Deerhoof - Milkman
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
The Notwist - The Devil, You + Me

7bMtul.jpg

No Kids - Come Into My House
Robert Pollard - Standard Gargoyle Decisions
Mates of State - Remixes Vol. 1

wqfLBl.jpg

John Vanderslice - Emerald City
Parts & Labor - Receivers
Parts & Labor - Mapmaker

GFPE7l.jpg

65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas
Bjork - Earth Intruders
Grand Ole Party - Humanimals

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got this on vinyl from some Portugese guy on the discogs marketplace. A cool, funky catchy deep/tech-house track. Heard it on a guest mix on John Digweed's Transitions show (I believe King Unique) then found out it's rare, only 500 were made...

l_ed5f96c63fb14eca96fdb94ffb24b9e2.jpg

Want to rip this to MP3... any advice on what USB turntable to get that won't break the bank?

oracrest

LoneWolf296 said:
Curious, where did you manage to pick up Aenima on vinyl?!!

It was just in the local record store. $50, but maybe they did a sneaky rerelease? It looks official, from what I remember seeing a friends copy a while back.

oracrest

Giant Robot said:
I've seen a few copies of Aenima on vinyl recently as well at the record stores, but for around $40ish

Now all they need to do is rerelease HUM - You Prefer an Astronaut, and I would be a happy man. I love the album, but you gotta sink $250-$350 for a copy, whenever one happens to surface on ebay.

oracrest

Giant Robot said:
just came in the mail today.

33yq1dd.jpg

Boris- Absolutego + Dronevil
Boris- Amplifier Worship

both limited to 1,000

Nice, I saw the green one at the store the other day, but didn't pick it up. Boris is playing in my town on Wednesday, but I have to skip it to see Rosetta. I have seen Boris a few times though, and have never seen Rosetta, so I am still stoked, but I wish they weren't playing on the same night :/

oracrest

Picked up a copy of Boris for myself at their show this week (and the third single I was missing from the set!)

also, coheed and Cambria, and a reissue of Failure - Fantastic Planet

d7ad63b3.jpg

scotcheggz

Hoooly, I didn't know this thread existed! I used to collect vinyl for years, I haven't bought any records for a while now, but they're still my treasure.

Does anyone know about insuring records? I sold a few about six months ago and got a handful valued and the prices made me shit myself. I sold off a couple of them, but considering I only took in a handful, I figured I should look into insurance at some point. Would they go on the home insurance, if I got my whole collection valued? I'm pretty clueless about home insurance.

btf1980

Mostly 45 rpm from Analogue Productions & Music Matters.

Music Matters titles

DSC_0003-91.jpg

DSC_0005-82.jpg

DSC_0003-95.jpg

DSC_0001-89.jpg

DSC_0005-86.jpg

DSC_0004-86.jpg

Analogue Productions titles

DSC_0006-78.jpg

DSC_0007-77.jpg

DSC_0008-63.jpg

DSC_0009-58.jpg

DSC_0010-49.jpg

Misc. titles

DSC_0010-47.jpg

DSC_0006-75.jpg

DSC_0007-73.jpg

DSC_0008-60.jpg

DSC_0009-57.jpg

DSC_0002-99.jpg

oracrest

Picked up the new Arcade Fire and an old Kyuss reissue. It was my first Josh Homme album. Still holds up good! Great riffage and grimy as all hell.

dfd15e52.jpg

Top Bottom