• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

oracrest

A couple more pickups last night. The 2LP re-release of The Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come, and Brand New - the Devil and God are Raging Inside Me.

ffac2dfe.jpg

Woffls

I've got a fairly decent collection. I think I've got all of Zeppelin, Rainbow, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple's albums, and they've all been extraordinarily well kept for the last 20 years or so. Might post pics eventually.

I actually need to buy a pre-amp because at the moment they're hooked up to an old Technics hifi, but I'd rather have it as part of my main setup, or at least have the option.

I also want to be able to buy brand new pressings of Pink Floyd albums :(

BobDylan

I am looking to buy a record player for 12" vinyl. Any recommendations on what kind to get? looking for something fairly cheap just to play records in my room with

BobDylan said:
I am looking to buy a record player for 12" vinyl. Any recommendations on what kind to get? looking for something fairly cheap just to play records in my room with
Fleamarkets and garagesales, look for Duals, old Technics etc.

Jewbacca

Banned
BobDylan said:

I ended up getting a dj turn table and hooked it up to a 5.1 system. But he is right I found a ton at flea markets after I made my decision.

TxdoHawk

Does white vinyl get grimy looking without frequent cleaning? There's an album I want that had a limited release in white, and I'm on the fence about spending extra for it. I looked around on Google, but oddly enough this hasn't come up anywhere.

TxdoHawk said:
Does white vinyl get grimy looking without frequent cleaning? There's an album I want that had a limited release in white, and I'm on the fence about spending extra for it. I looked around on Google, but oddly enough this hasn't come up anywhere.
No it does not.

rj331u.jpg

Red Sparowes - Aphorisms EP from the Boris/Red Sparowes tour.

14ctjtc.jpg

BXI (Boris + Ian Atsbury collaboration) One of the most beautiful albums to listen to this year. I highly recommend if you're even remotely any sort of epic rock. Also from the same Boris/Red Sparowes tour

148eu6u.jpg

Blondie - Eat To The Beat :D

30hrnmh.jpg

Pink Floyd - Meddle. First pressing.

and here's what i think is my coolest pick up from this weekend is.
Possessed - Beyond The Gates. First pressing on Combat Records
14ngxmb.jpg

29ehth5.jpg

23lbg9y.jpg

zy006.jpg

My most recent pickups

mmszgk.jpg

css - donkey
brand new - devil and god be ragin'
the faint - danse macabre remixes
iron & wine - shepards dog
the faint - blank wave arcade remixes

200bsld.jpg

Mars Volta - Octahedron & Bedlam in Goliath. The arrowhead shaped one came with bedlam and is the worst song ever

oracrest

I ordered the Slayer box set "the Vinyl conflict" (lol)

To my surprise, it came with a signed test pressing of God Hates Us All. I guess the first number of orders got them.

a15f8500.jpg

fd237e99.jpg

Warpaint - Exquisite Corpse. Probably my favorite band of the moment. Really great female duet singing, and soothing psych rock sound.

b2c468e2.jpg

and some Black Angels..

72e5a16d.jpg

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
oracrest said:
I ordered the Slayer box set "the Vinyl conflict" (lol)

To my surprise, it came with a signed test pressing of God Hates Us All. I guess the first number of orders got them.

a15f8500.jpg

fd237e99.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuck, I'm so jealous. I need to get this, stat.

I'd love to hear what the sound quality is like.

TxdoHawk

After lots (and lots and lots and lots) of consideration, I wound up buying a Technics SL-1200 MK2 from one of the 50 billion people who have tried DJ-ing and given up. While that arrives in the mail (along with a preamp and some cabling) I've been slowly picking up random vinyl.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/TxdoHawk/176542110.jpg (vaguely NSFW, drawn nipples.)

This is the reprint of Witchcult Today. Sad that it's not in gatefold, but happy not to pay insane Ebay prices for a copy. (I am definitely going to nab the Dopethrone reprint too, but I am waiting for the new album to go up for pre order.)

IMG_0843.jpg

I'm a big Eurobeat fan, so no doubt I will be picking up lots of singles. Annerley Gordon is easily my favorite of the artists, so this was an easy first choice. Kind of crazy though...I had no idea 45's came in 12-inch varieties up until now.

Edit: Oh, there was an additional point to me bumping this thread...I'm looking for budget bookshelf speakers to replace some Sony's that came with a mini system. I am in a very small room, so power is the least of my concerns. Are the Polk T15's worth considering? Anything in the $100 range? Or should I not even bother until I can afford to drop serious change on a set?

btf1980

Haven't posted in a bit, but I've been busy. Doing some system changes, but the vinyl is still spinning.

These are 45rpm titles. Music Matters and Analogue Productions. Click for the full size.

oracrest

devon the dude said:
Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath.

Nice, Ouroborous is one of my favorite songs by them.

My favorite one of theirs to throw on the record player though is 'Scab Dates.' A lot of people don't like it or the way they jam out live, but I really dig how all the songs bleed into each other, and I like the new interludes and change ups.

gohepcat

Banned
Witchfinder General said:
I upgraded my cartridge recently to an Ortofon A90. Holy hell is it amazing:

1000x500px-LL-0f0dc097_ortofon3.jpg

My vinyl has never sounded better.

That is a $4200 cartridge.

That is extremely extravagant. Sorry to go so off the rails, but I don't think I've ever met someone who would spend that kind of cash on something like that.

Where do you get that kind of scratch?

gohepcat said:
That is a $4200 cartridge.

That is extremely extravagant. Sorry to go so off the rails, but I don't think I've ever met someone who would spend that kind of cash on something like that.

Where do you get that kind of scratch?
*spits out coffee*

Holy fuck at >4,000$ cartridge.

I just got these two and they sound fucking glorious on mah magneplanars. I love the low and mid ranges they produce. Spend a lot of time listening in the evenings now that it's getting colder and there's less to do outside.

when-the-devils-loose.jpg
1034735.jpg

oracrest

Witchfinder General said:
I upgraded my cartridge recently to an Ortofon A90. Holy hell is it amazing:

My vinyl has never sounded better.

I am pretty ignorant to how the spectrum of quality works for players. I'm sure the product itself is built better, and it looks really cool, but what exactly makes it better quality? Does it have better needle balancing and electronics? Does it wear on the record less?

I will probably upgrade from my simple Stanton table not too long, but still don't know what means what for players.

edit:
brianjones said:
what else do i need? a receiver i'm guessing.. any recommendations on that front?

I have a reciever that is several years old now, and I needed to get a preamp between the table and the receiver. Something to keep an eye out for.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
LegendOfGood said:
Quick question: is there a good place to buy vinyl somewhere in Buffalo, NY?

First time I saw this post. Back in 2000 I vaguely remember going to a vinyl shop/DJ store on Harlem ave in Cheektowaga to pick up tickets to a rave. Lord knows if it's still there :p

Aegus

So my granny recently passed away and I managed to get a hold of their extremely ancient record player which in all the time I've been alive (25 years) I'd never seen on or being played.

It still bloody well works! This is a machine from the late 60s!

Kind of excited to have my very first vinyl player. Just need to get some vinyls tomorrow!

my first ever vinyl:

2le4h2b.jpg

it's not a rare version or anything.. but i'm excited. :D

truly the only format worth physically owning these days

Bioshocked said:
Picked up my biggest haul of records ever while I was on a road trip to Denver to see the Dead Weather. There was a place called Independent Records next to the venue and they had a discount section of 33 cent LPs. (I think I did a quadruple take when I saw this :lol ) I picked up 31 albums for a total of $11.02

wait you got all that awesome shit for $.33 a piece? what the hell?

ATF487

The Boss!

I've tried to modify my vinyl purchases for things that would have been pressed on vinyl first, or just records like the new Gareth Liddiard album that would sound better with analog warmth. Im gonna go and try to find some Stones/Neil Young this weekend

theBishop

Banned
Aegus said:
So my granny recently passed away and I managed to get a hold of their extremely ancient record player which in all the time I've been alive (25 years) I'd never seen on or being played.

It still bloody well works! This is a machine from the late 60s!

Kind of excited to have my very first vinyl player. Just need to get some vinyls tomorrow!

Congrats on the turntable, but it looks a bit dubious. Replace the cartridge and belt as a minimum before handing over any precious records to that table.

Stencil

Sorry to bump this topic out of oblivion, but I recently caught the collecting bug and I couldn't resist.

I have a few questions:
1. My dad has an old Discwasher brush and told me he just uses rubbing alcohol on it, but my boss at work (record store) uses windex. Are either of these preferable?
2. What do you store your 45s/7"s in?

I forget what my other Qs were... I'll post a pic of my collection later, too.

Stencil said:
Sorry to bump this topic out of oblivion, but I recently caught the collecting bug and I couldn't resist.

I have a few questions:
1. My dad has an old Discwasher brush and told me he just uses rubbing alcohol on it, but my boss at work (record store) uses windex. Are either of these preferable?
2. What do you store your 45s/7"s in?

I forget what my other Qs were... I'll post a pic of my collection later, too.

1. Anything that doesn't leave residue / other crap to the records

2. In shoeboxes mostly

this weekends haul

cky volume 1 on picture disc, only 8 bucks.
2010-11-07%2017.49.39.jpg

2010-11-07%2017.49.46.jpg

also :
Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Ghostland Observatory - Twin Cities EP

Easy_G

I need some advice. I've got my hands on a few records recently, and with an awesome record store just around the corner from me, I'm really wanting to start listening to vinyl. I've poked around on amazon and google, and one thing is clear: it's possible to spend either very little or an insane amount of money on a system.

Being that I'm just starting out and don't have much of a collection, it seems a waste to invest too much. Is it worth getting a <$200 turntable to get my feet wet and then upgrade down the line if I want? Any recommendations?

Easy_G said:
I need some advice. I've got my hands on a few records recently, and with an awesome record store just around the corner from me, I'm really wanting to start listening to vinyl. I've poked around on amazon and google, and one thing is clear: it's possible to spend either very little or an insane amount of money on a system.

Being that I'm just starting out and don't have much of a collection, it seems a waste to invest too much. Is it worth getting a <$200 turntable to get my feet wet and then upgrade down the line if I want? Any recommendations?

thats what i did

i got this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005T3XH/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$80 lol

am enjoying it.. i can see myself getting a pro-ject debut III in the future

theBishop

Banned
No Age's Everything in Between is pretty slick. The "sleeve" is a big 40-page book of strangeness. Art, landscapes, tour picks, lyric snippets, odd bits of dialog, etc. Pretty cool.

Easy_G said:
Go look for some older Marantz/Dual/Technics/etc. turntables from drift stores and you might score an high end one for cheap... I have also heard that a lot of Technics SL1200:s go for less than $200 on Craigslist or something so that would be the best buck for your money (Ebay prices go from 200 to 450...).

I don't really know about good new ones going for less than $200, but any decent looking SL1200-clone could do you just fine!

I recently rediscovered my Bowie "Fashions" picture disk set that I bought ages ago.

I haven't got a vinyl player anymore, so I've just put them up on display.

QEmVQ.jpg

blame space said:
wait you got all that awesome shit for $.33 a piece? what the hell?
I'm a little late answering this, but yeah, as unbelievable as it sounds, it really happened. I saw the $.33 section and thought there had to be some kind of a catch, like buying a membership card, or you could only buy one per visit or something like that, but I asked the guy at the counter and he said there was no catch. As I was paying for it he told me that even with the price that low the record store still makes a profit. I kind of want to plan another trip to Denver to visit the store again... :lol

Man, I've bought a ton of records this month and haven't posted in a while. Maybe I'll post them all tomorrow...

Top Bottom