• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
tumblr_mdplo02pzq1qkwdpuo1_500.jpg

todays pick ups

Gangrene - Vodka & Ayahuasca
Hassaan Mackey & Apollo Brown - Daily Bread
Theloneous Monk - Straight, No Chaser

-Mikey-

Has anyone ever used Music Direct?

I'm approaching 6 weeks on my Tron: Legacy 2x LP and am beginning to think they never had it in stock to begin with.

CRS

Need to upgrade my record player (It's really bad) and I'm looking into getting this this. It's within my price range and the reviews look great. I've tried to look for some Technic SL-1200s but have always had bad luck at a local flea market.

The most I'm willing to spend is $300 MAYBE $350. My setup is an audio-gd NFB 5.2 DAC/Amp with Audioengine A2 speakers.

surly

Banned
Some records I picked up recently: -

The reissue of the first LP from the Fat Boys, which comes in this pizza box: -

The record inside is a pepperoni pizza picture disc: -

And after buying that, I picked up a copy of this old 7" Fat Boys picture disc: -

And while not a solely vinyl release, I copped one of these DJ Shadow box sets: -

Main box: -

Contents: -

Perspex case that holds the collection: -

The etched design on the front glows in the dark (not the best pic): -

Certificate of authenticity signed by DJ Shadow (number 248 of 500): -

Record: -

Some of the CDs: -

Another packaging shot: -

It's a nice collector's piece and very well thought out/designed, except they were clearly in a rush to get them shipped as they sent mine out before the glue that holds the cardboard inner packaging had set, which damaged the vinyl record and a booklet (not shown above). They're sending me replacements though, so it's all good.

hoverX

If I was to order albums through Discogs and the shipment was from the US to Canada would I have to pay duty?

Since the album isn't from a store I'm not really sure of the rules on this.

CRS

Need to upgrade my record player (It's really bad) and I'm looking into getting this this. It's within my price range and the reviews look great. I've tried to look for some Technic SL-1200s but have always had bad luck at a local flea market.

The most I'm willing to spend is $300 MAYBE $350. My setup is an audio-gd NFB 5.2 DAC/Amp and I'll be using Audioengine A2 speakers and a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900 headphones.

So I did a little more research and I guess spending $100 or so more would be beneficial as I would be able to get either a

Rega RP1
Audio-Technica LP1240
Music Hall MMF 2.2
Pro-Ject Carbon

With my setup, quoted above, would those tables be too much? What about something like a Pro-Ject Expression III?

hoverX

It isn't listed under the sellers details?

I don't think it's really up to the seller. Duty is charged by the gov't once it hits the border. If I understand it correctly, I seller wouldn't even know how much duty would be charged.

EDIT: A ha! Found this: http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/

Looks like the fees are most likely going to come from the brokers who clear customs, not duty itself.

EDIT EDIT: I"ve heard that if you can convince the seller to write "gift" on the shipping manifest you can save a lot. :)

In Finland, if your order exceeds 42 euros, you have to pay duty tax. In USA, as every state have different taxing laws (I think?) you can just try. In any case, it's up for the buyer to think about and in general with vinyl records it's not as much of a problem as you can almost certainly get them through with "old records are worth $0.01". anyway.

Incidentally, the 42 euros goes down to 22 euros next January, essentially killing every chance of buying any records overseas in case of risking getting stamped on a tax of 22%+toll fee of 7%. With euro already down the shitter, those are some very VERY expensive records. How I miss the days when 1 euro could get you 1.6 dollars.

Been collecting vinyl for a while now, after many years of debating it. I have a rather lame setup at the moment but over time I'll drop money down on something higher end. Here are a few of my most recent pick-ups. I'm a sucker for colored and transparent vinyl.

XDTlc.jpg

The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation

4IVCM.jpg

Labyrinth Soundtrack
The The - Infected
Breakfast Club Soundtrack
Purity Ring - Shrines

-Mikey-

Lid up, down or off when playing a record? I have a technics sl- 1700 and have been playing records with it closed for almost a year now. I've never had any issues with sound or the tonearm while playing a record.

It was a debate I noticed while trolling around various places and there is a decent split of people playing tunes with it off / up or closed.

Lid up, down or off when playing a record? I have a technics sl- 1700 and have been playing records with it closed for almost a year now. I've never had any issues with sound or the tonearm while playing a record.

It was a debate I noticed while trolling around various places and there is a decent split of people playing tunes with it off / up or closed.

I play them off or up, usually up. If you have a cat or something then it makes sense to play records with the lid down. It is after all a dust cover that is meant to keep dust off from the plate... the lid supposedly resonates if it's down causing some noise or something.

I don't notice the difference anyway, it is just a convience factor for me.

wenis

340544_1015228772346077cvh.jpg

came in the mail today. Toro Y Moi's latest single So Many Details

also, question, how do you guys store your records?

i dont have a shelf currently, but i do have enough that they're wedged in between my bed and a book shelf. there's enough that no record is leaning on it's side or anything so it's like a shelf and everything has a plastic sleeve. and do you keep the records out of the cardboard sleeve and just sitting in the plastic sleeve? to prevent the cover wear ring?

i dont have a shelf currently, but i do have enough that they're wedged in between my bed and a book shelf. there's enough that no record is leaning on it's side or anything so it's like a shelf and everything has a plastic sleeve. and do you keep the records out of the cardboard sleeve and just sitting in the plastic sleeve? to prevent the cover wear ring?

Get an Expedit from Ikea and couple of shoeboxes for the 7"'s or something. I keep the records inside the covers, just store them properly (don't stack up 100's of LPs without putting some spacers with them. If they lean side by side, you might get ringwear from them as the records outside the covers the touch the ones next to them if you got another 50 LP's putting weight to it.

For 7"'s I keep some of the records that are tight to fit outside the covers and the rest inside the covers. Same things apply, store them properly to avoid ringwear.

Wolfe

Get an Expedit from Ikea and couple of shoeboxes for the 7"'s or something. I keep the records inside the covers, just store them properly (don't stack up 100's of LPs without putting some spacers with them. If they lean side by side, you might get ringwear from them as the records outside the covers the touch the ones next to them if you got another 50 LP's putting weight to it.

For 7"'s I keep some of the records that are tight to fit outside the covers and the rest inside the covers. Same things apply, store them properly to avoid ringwear.

You'll have to excuse me but I'm not really sure what you mean by the bolded, might just be the wording.

340544_1015228772346077cvh.jpg

came in the mail today. Toro Y Moi's latest single So Many Details

also, question, how do you guys store your records?

If I may ask, what model turntable is that Sony?

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Big thanks to the forum members in this thread for providing great advice. I ended up going with a Clearaudio Concept (TT), Rega Brio-R (Int amp), and Rega RS-1 (speakers).

instead of paying for expensive speaker cable; I decided to build my own speaker cables and found this site.

http://www.diyspeakercables.org/

bTpVa.jpg

Got a few more things this past week, mostly as gifts.

GmV5h.jpg

bgZqd.jpg

IqQyl.jpg

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness reissue

HVCxb.jpg

Crystal Castles - II
Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robotos
Radical Face - Ghost

CRS

Since i'm able to spend more on a turntable,

Would $700 for a Rega P3-24, Elys2 Cartridge, and the TT-PSU be a good deal?

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
I bought a few records online, and 2 were wobbly, and warped when i opened the package. It seems records are hit or miss, not sure if i can return them if it's opened? How often does this happen?

I bought a few records online, and 2 were wobbly, and warped when i opened the package. It seems records are hit or miss, not sure if i can return them if it's opened? How often does this happen?

Do they skip? If they do, return them, otherwise it isn't worth the trouble. Maybe you could get a partial refund if you'd like to I guess. If the packaging was crappy then you could definitely get a refund. Where did you buy them?

Records get warped in the mail every now and then, but as long as it doesn't affect the playing it's not much of a trouble. Some/most are bit warped when they come out of the factory too. I got some records in the heatwave last summer that were shaped like friggin' chainsaw blades.

Guagloves

Neo Member

Where does one order spacers? I could use some for my Expedit.

^I use cardboard/LP mailers (not the prettiest solution), but I guess bookstores/IKEA should have something that fits.

In case of Expedit, full shelves with records standing in upright position (like 12 o'clock upwards) shouldn't cause too much stress.

Anyone from Boston here? Where are the best record stores? So far my favorites have been In Your Ear records and Store 54. I feel like there used to be a ton more but they've all closed down...

I have two records from my one of my favorite artists but both of them are sorta fucked up. None of my other records skip around like these do. So sad :( the records I wanted the most are busted. Oh and they are Actress's Splazsh and R.I.P

Thought I would post this here: I decided to treat myself to a couple of box sets.

333.jpg

"William Basinski's Disintegration Loops is being released in its entirety by Temporary Residence as an enormous box set that weighs 12lb. The set contains nine LPs, plus five CDs, a DVD and a 144 page book. It includes all four volumes of The Disintegration Loops, remastered and pressed to both CD and vinyl, plus two orchestral performances pressed to vinyl, the 63 minute film on DVD and a book featuring photos and liner notes by Basinski, Antony, David Tibet and others."

9SkQtl.jpg

and:

13069_1127312034508.jpg

tumblr_lrcnhrriEW1r1li3zo1_500.jpg

Of course the first set arrives, and I find that someone spilled whiskey in my turntable. :(

Guess it is time for an upgrade. Any suggestions for a decent turntable in the $200 range?

^ I sound a broken record here, but I'd try to find some old hi-fi turntable for a decent price (Thorens, Marantz, Dual, Technics etc. or even Pioneer, Sony...). Good rule of thumb: if it looks good and it weights a ton it might actually be pretty good!

I just started spinning my vinyl's now I have one of those crappy Crosley Record Players FOR NOW! I know people hate them and rightfully so but it's all I have at my disposal for the moment! It didnt seem to be messing the vinyls up either, which is a good thing! I clean them with a solution and micro fiber cloth....

wenis

Whats the most anyone here has spent on a record? The most for me was 60 bucks.
I spent a hundred bucks on a 7inch single of Washed Out's "feel it all around" with toro y moi's remix on the other side. It's 1 out of 300.

andylsun

Some records I picked up recently: -

And while not a solely vinyl release, I copped one of these DJ Shadow box sets: -

It's a nice collector's piece and very well thought out/designed, except they were clearly in a rush to get them shipped as they sent mine out before the glue that holds the cardboard inner packaging had set, which damaged the vinyl record and a booklet (not shown above). They're sending me replacements though, so it's all good.

How is the live at Glasgow DVD? I've seen the shadowsphere tour 3 times and would love a good video version, but can't spring for the box set. Is it a complete live show? Full version of Sad and Lonely at the end?

Edit: I see live at Glasgow is listed as a CD on the packaging and also on discogs. I thought this was supposed to be a DVD release?

Ravager61

I spent a hundred bucks on a 7inch single of Washed Out's "feel it all around" with toro y moi's remix on the other side. It's 1 out of 300.

I think I've only spent about 80 on a black metal album. In my quest to own every Sunn O))) full length on vinyl though, I'm about to spend a lot more.

AfroLuffy

finally, I got everything setup.

Just superb! I haven't heard one myself, but that clearaudio table is extremely well regarded, must sound great.

Have you thought about seperate stands for the speakers? Placing them farther apart ought to yield a much wider and more enveloping soundstage.

Also, please, where did you get that lovely piece of furniture your turntable & amp are sitting on?

Top Bottom