• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
imaget9u8g.jpg

Today's pick up. That Dillinger escape plan albums artwork is on a pin wheel. It's pretty cool.

My vinyl collection is really small (don't have a working record player yet) but it's a start. Some of them have been in my "collection for years. I'll start with those:

CeGw3uU.jpg

lwotvFU.jpg

8OpQB7c.jpg

andylsun

I've never tried it myself, but I've heard that it works. Somebody posted about it in this topic ages ago and it reminded me of it. Wood glue is cheap, just first try it on a record you don't care about.

I've cleaned about 600 records in the last two years using this method. once you get your technique down it's very quick. I use it on all used records I buy, and it pulls off mould and ground in dirt amazingly well. I use it as a first-pass before any vacuum or other method.

The first ten or so were a disaster, either too thick, not thick enough or not even. Use a credit card sized piece of plastic to spread. I cut a little tab of dried glue and leave it ontop of the drying glue to give me a pull tab to remove the sheet when it's dry. I use a Stanton DD TT that is spare with it set to about 20rpm - seems to be a good compromise. Use Titebond II or whatever is equivalent - other titebond glues do not work.

The only downside is the amount of static electricity this method generates. A zerostat would be very useful to remove the static charge once you peel the glue.

nitewulf

it's possibly a terrible record player.

i found some very interesting records for uh about 25 bucks...a hipster must have offloaded his/her collection:

Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair
Les Rythmes Digitales - Darkdancer
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Mylo - Destroy Rock and Roll
VHS or Beta - Night on Fire

and these are all in damn great condition.

the local store had no idea what these were and didnt even put any price on them...each album is like 25 to 30 bucks or more online, and 60 or more for rarer stuff like Darkdancer and Hercules and Love Affair.

I got quite a bit more back for taxes this year than I thought I was going to, so I've already spent a bit on some vinyls that I've been looking for (Bjork - Vespertine, Nine Inch Nails - Broken 12"/7", The Fragile, Year Zero) and put together a modest 2.1 system. I didn't go all out, just a few things on sale... M-Audio AV 40 and a Polk Audio 10" sub.

Now I'm looking to upgrade my turntable from a very basic Audio-Technica LP60 to something that will compliment my 2.1 system. I'm not looking to spend more than $250-$300. I've been searching Craigslist for a Technics 1200 but haven't found anything below $400. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm still quite new to all of this.

BTW, I noticed this popped up on Urban Outfitters. I placed my order in since my local stores didn't have any in stock.

Cant say I like either band but those are some sick covers.
Yep, beautiful. I'm glad I love the music as well :D I was in a record shop a few days ago and saw one of the most beautiful vinyls I've ever put on a player...I just couldn't get into the music at all! If that band had hit only a small piece of my music nerve I might have bought it just for the package..The cover was awesome, too.

andylsun

Now I'm looking to upgrade my turntable from a very basic Audio-Technica LP60 to something that will compliment my 2.1 system. I'm not looking to spend more than $250-$300. I've been searching Craigslist for a Technics 1200 but haven't found anything below $400. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm still quite new to all of this.

BTW, I noticed this popped up on Urban Outfitters. I placed my order in since my local stores didn't have any in stock.

Don't discount the other Technics TT's. While the 1200MK2 appears to be 'the one' all the others from Sl-1200 MKI to SL-1800 are worth a look. I've picked up an SL-1700 and SL-1650 (changer!!) both on CL for $20 in the last year. While not quartz lock, they are both excellent TT's and easy to service.

I picked up a SL-1200MK2 for $40 last year on CL, but it was sold as parts only - needed a new power switch spindle which tends to snap off. If you find a cheap 1200MK2, then budget for a new spindle/bearing and stylus/cart

Don't discount the other Technics TT's. While the 1200MK2 appears to be 'the one' all the others from Sl-1200 MKI to SL-1800 are worth a look. I've picked up an SL-1700 and SL-1650 (changer!!) both on CL for $20 in the last year. While not quartz lock, they are both excellent TT's and easy to service.

I picked up a SL-1200MK2 for $40 last year on CL, but it was sold as parts only - needed a new power switch spindle which tends to snap off. If you find a cheap 1200MK2, then budget for a new spindle/bearing and stylus/cart

Thanks for the feedback. I actually found a guy who just put up a 1210MK2 today for only $200! So I picked it up tonight. The thing is in perfect condition, still had the original box and everything. It has a Shure M44-7 cartridge installed.

Anyway, now I need a preamp.

Damn! That thing is a STEAL for 200 bucks!

I know. I can't believe how lucky I got with this pickup. The guy who sold it to me was a DJ so he was fully aware of the 1210s value.

So for the time being I picked up an ART DJ Pre II but I have my eye on a Music Hall 1.2 preamp. The upgrade would be roughly $90 between the two. To anyone who has experience with a 1.2, is the upgrade worth it?

And bought myself a turntable :

Finally, I'll be able to listen again to the few hundred LP's that I've found/bought/inherited over the years. I've moved appartments 4 times over a span of more than 12 years since last time I put a record on.

First I tried were : Coltrane's My Favorite Things, Endtroducing, Pet Sounds, Goldberg Variations by Glenn Gould and Arthur Verocai.

Damn, these sound nice !

BdoUK

Awesome looking RP3. I'm a RP1 owner and it sounds amazing with the Ortofon Blue cartridge I added last year. I'd recommend Rega to anyone looking for a great sounding turntable.

Awesome looking RP3. I'm a RP1 owner and it sounds amazing with the Ortofon Blue cartridge I added last year. I'd recommend Rega to anyone looking for a great sounding turntable.

It does sound amazing. I actually went in the store thinking I'd buy a RP1 and then I spent a few hours listening to both and well, here goes my lunch money. It was on sale (with Elys cartridge and calibrated by a pro) but still.

And now I'm saving to buy the external power supply. God please stop, don't make me go to this awesome record store with thousands of excellent and often cheap records that I know of.

andylsun

Where can I find a cover for a 1200mk2? Preferably that ships from Canada and is a reliable vendor.

www.kabusa.com sell brand new 1200MK2 covers - not sure what shipping will be like to Canada. Be warned though, I bought one last year, and it's slightly warped and doesn't sit perfectly flush at the front. Seems to be a common problem - you can adjust the hinges slightly, but in the end I decided to leave it. Others on various audio forums have reported the same thing.

Edit: You may need the hinge kit as well if your deck doesn't already have the hinges.

As the TT is end-of-life then maybe we're just getting the tail end of the parts supply.

Stencil

Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx
pVP4o4y.png

We're New Here
Special edition w/ instrumentals. Not pictured (but basically the same as the green cover) is the outer box.
Came w/ CDs and a couple 12x6 photos too.

edit: Damn even matches my avatar... Pic from instagram (sry) so theres a little discoloration.

So I splurged a little bit and spent some of my tax return on some Nine Inch Nails vinyls that I've wanted for a while. They arrived yesterday.

Broken 12" & 7" with promo materials
ZlPFunD.jpg

The Fragile with glossy promo photo of Trent recording the album
SBpZ17A.jpg

Year Zero that has an etched side with artwork
07WAGU2.jpg

STG!

Yep, it's Physical and Suck. Some EU copies came with it.

Very cool, I gave my collection of NIN (and everything I had on nothing) to a friend years ago but I always kept Broken on vinyl, has a lot of memories. Always wondered why those two tracks never made it on there... a promo release, makes complete sense!

Picked up some cheap decks yesterday for some sketchy guys in a grimey house..
Gave the decks a good scrub and they are looking nice! Need new stylus(? the needle bits) but that came in at £7 for one so that should be here this week, if it works ok with both ill buy another so I can potentially mix.
Came with 18 random as hell vinyl, mostly Jungle, DnB and some Garage.
Looked on discogs and this is what it all looked like..

Dillinja & Lemon D ‎– Fluid / Hard Noize
Destiny's Child ‎– Jumpin' Jumpin' (The Sniper Mixes)
Shy FX & Gunsmoke ‎– Gangsta Kid II: The Final Chapter
MA2 ‎– Remixes Rollers Music (Recut Mix)
Substance (2) ‎– Lf-ant / Think
Freestyles - Musically Dope (Ganja Kru Remix)
DJ Demo & Harlequin ‎– Serious Soundz / Ricochet
Origin Unknown ‎– The Touch / Valley Of The Shadows (Remixes)
Ed Rush + Optical* ‎– Gas Mask / Bacteria
Pikachu ‎– Pikatune (Gotta Catch 'Em All)
Derek and Clive Live: "This Bloke Came Up To Me" This one.. jesus christ hahahaha
Freestylers ‎– Push Up / The Slammer
Youngstar (2) ‎– True VIP! / Funk Power
Jungle Brothers ‎– Jungle Brother
Untouchables, The (6) ‎– Wild West / Nine
Gappa G & Hyper Hype Information Centre Hype Rmx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oP20tJIuY74#!

Also dropped some cash on a bunch of vinyl ontop of the other stuff I have last week.

V.I.V.E.K - Asteroids/Over My Head/Over My Head(Om Unit Remix) (14/15 :0)
Digital mystikz- Return II Space LP
James Blake LP
James Blake-Enough Thunder EP
James Blake-Love What Happened Here EP
James Blake- Confidence Boost / Saying Ep

I really want to pick up Nicolass Jarr- Space is only noise and Valentin Stip - Anytime Will Do but I cant really afford to right now.

Posted this in the pick-up thread and learned this one existed. These are the first vinyls I have ever purchased.

tfycyv0.jpg

Some great pickups.

Is that the limited edition red vinyl of Antichrist Superstar? I got that a couple of weeks ago.

And I just picked up a new shelf for my vinyl, since it was getting out of hand with crates.

ZMBuObP.jpg

Some great pickups.

Is that the limited edition red vinyl of Antichrist Superstar? I got that a couple of weeks ago.

And I just picked up a new shelf for my vinyl, since it was getting out of hand with crates.

ZMBuObP.jpg

It is! it is actually what spurred me to begin vinyl collecting. I was browsing and saw that Manson had re-released the red vinyl to Hot Topic only and only pressed 1500 copies so I jumped on it and ordered it in store for $21.99.

I have always enjoyed collecting but have never liked that the majority of collectibles I like lose their value when I cross the threshold of the store I purchased them in. It seemed vinyl was a perfect avenue for me. (did I mention I have an absurd love of music)

nitewulf

Some great pickups.

ZMBuObP.jpg

where did you get that shelf?

i recently bought:

the beatles - abbey road, sgt pepper's...
pink floyd - wish you were here
deep purple - live in japan

the pink floyd and deep purple albums are great copies, specially the deep purple album is very rare and expensive. i got both fairly cheaply, and they sound amazing.

where did you get that shelf?

i recently bought:

the beatles - abbey road, sgt pepper's...
pink floyd - wish you were here
deep purple - live in japan

the pink floyd and deep purple albums are great copies, specially the deep purple album is very rare and expensive. i got both fairly cheaply, and they sound amazing.

At Ikea. It's the Expedit. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/09064/

These things were MADE for vinyl. They fit them perfectly, I love it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They shut down my favorite record store, it was a Specs Records that looked like a big chain store, but had pretty much the biggest new selection in the city and a lot of great albums. Now my only option is a really small store that tends to only stock hipster essentials, ha. The act of browsing through records at a store feels like it's becoming extinct :(

They shut down my favorite record store, it was a Specs Records that looked like a big chain store, but had pretty much the biggest new selection in the city and a lot of great albums. Now my only option is a really small store that tends to only stock hipster essentials, ha. The act of browsing through records at a store feels like it's becoming extinct :(

That sucks. Where do you live?

I live in the north Chicagoland burbs, so I'm fairly lucky as I have some excellent record shops in the area. Reckless Records in Chicago is nice, but my favorite place to go to for grabbing releases early and low prices is The Exclusive Company, in Milwaukee.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That sucks. Where do you live?

I live in the north Chicagoland burbs, so I'm fairly lucky as I have some excellent record shops in the area. Reckless Records in Chicago is nice, but my favorite place to go to for grabbing releases early and low prices is The Exclusive Company, in Milwaukee.
Miami, record stores are hard to find here.

Asimov

Banned
Hello, GAF.

Well, I have close to 200 vinyl records, but most of those were from my dad. The records are mostly classic rock, from Deep Purple, Black Sabbath to the The Beatles.

Anyway, I want to start buying discs again and the cheapest option would be to go to flea markets.

But... is there an online store I could order older records? Amazon is very expensive.

I can get tons of records at flea markets for less than $5 bucks.

Hello, GAF.

Well, I have close to 200 vinyl records, but most of those were from my dad. The records are mostly classic rock, from Deep Purple, Black Sabbath to the The Beatles.

Anyway, I want to start buying discs again and the cheapest option would be to go to flea markets.

But... is there an online store I could order older records? Amazon is very expensive.

I can get tons of records at flea markets for less than $5 bucks.

discogs.com

Top Bottom