• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

-Mikey-

Yes. 33 RPM 7" do exist but aren't that common.

UK RSD has some great stuff:

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-products/2013.aspx

Factory Floor - Untitled 10" & DVD
Toy/The Horrors - Motoring/Moving Further 12"
Mogwai/Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat - Special N (L. Pierre Remix)/The Copper Top (Remixed By Plasmatron For Mogwai) - 7"
Various Artists - Earache: The World's Shortest Album - 5"
TV Themes reissued by Death Waltz.
The Residents - Kaw-Liga.
Chas & Dave - Rabbit (shaped vinyl)
Beak>
Brian Eno vs Nicolas Jaar vs Grizzly Bear

I'm trying to get my hands on:
Antoni Maiovvi – Yellow: Original Music From The Short Film

Put in an order for it at my local store. Being in the US, I'm not sure what my chances will be of snagging one.

IMG_2927.jpg

Got a hold of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden tonight, making my modest collection of vinyl feel nearly complete. There are only a handful of other albums I'm reeeally looking to pick up now.

Holy fucking shit, where did you get these? How much?

Edit: sorry for the late reply lol

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I won't be home for RSD, but there are participating stores here. I really want that Jandek box set and Thee Oh Sees EP. Guess I will get up early.

They were reissued last year; pretty typical prices ~$15-20.

I still need to pick up the vinyl of Hollis' solo album eventually.

Damn, you just reminded me of this amazing album that I'd completely forgotten. Lent it to a friend and never saw it again. Putting it on my fetch list.

omgkitty

Vangelis’ Blade Runner soundtrack receives vinyl reissue

blade-runner-vinyl.jpg

Do androids dream of electric sheep? That’s a question vinyl enthusiasts will ask next month. Some 30 years later, Vangelis’ brilliant score to Ridley Scott’s 1982 sci-fi masterpiece, Blade Runner, is finally resurfacing on vinyl via Audio Fidelity.

Due out April 16th, the soundtrack will be available on translucent red 180-gram vinyl and will include Vangelis’ original 12-track score as opposed to New American Orchestra’s eight-track release that surfaced in the early ’80s, as Exclaim. ca points out.

Consult the full tracklist and revisit the score via Rdio below. Pre-orders are ongoing.

“This announcement is brought to you by the Shimato Dominguez Corporation – helping America into the New World.”

Blade Runner Tracklist:
01. Main Titles
02. Blush Response
03. Wait for Me
04. Rachel’s Song
05. Love Theme
06. One More Kiss, Dear
07. Blade Runner Blues
08. Memories of Green
09. Tales of the Future
10. Damask Rose
11. Blade Runner (End Titles)
12. Tears in Rain

Supposedly this has the full original soundtrack, which to my knowledge, has never been released physically. This is a big deal! (at least to me it is) You can preorder it here.

RDreamer

So, my local Goodwill has this:

It's a Panasonic Technic SL-23.

Is this a good buy for 60 bucks? I've currently got an Audio Technica AT LP-60.

I've got a ton of vinyl and love collecting them, but still don't know squat about turntables. My parents got me the Audio Technica for christmas and it works pretty fine. I don't know if I need to replace it or anything, but if this other turntable is something really good I'd totally pick it up.

I've got a ton of vinyl and love collecting them, but still don't know squat about turntables. My parents got me the Audio Technica for christmas and it works pretty fine. I don't know if I need to replace it or anything, but if this other turntable is something really good I'd totally pick it up.

If it works, absolutely.

Danielsan

I have one myself. It's a great little turntable. Definitelyworth a pick up if its in good condition.

Here's mine:

uZ3D3.jpg

Lately I've been slowly amassing a collection of vinyl records and my mother owns a ton of old goldies in this format that have been sitting in her closet for decades, but neither of us actually owns a record player.

So, I was wondering if y'all could give me some suggestions as to quality players to buy? Money is not a terribly huge concern, so I will let you all use your personal judgment as to what constitutes an unreasonably expensive machine.

I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject but since no one is answering... I would say that if you are looking at buying new, a $500 budget is enough for a good turntable (I'd look into Project-Carbon Debut and Rega RP1 which would be my choice). I bought a Rega RP3 recently which is fantastic but you're looking at a $1000 price tag. That's with a cartridge in both cases but without a pre-amp if you need one.

Oh and these might not be great choices if you listen to a lot of 45rpm...

If you're looking for used turntables then anything's possible (vintage Thorens, depending on the model, are usally worth looking into).

I really, really want that Jandek boxset.
Almost enough to pay double + shipping from a discogs reseller when it inevitably isn't released in Australia.
Almost :(

Other than that, and the Ege Bamyasi cover album which should be good fun, there's nothing that really grabs my attention. Which is good for my wallet I guess.

Oh my goodness, that original pink pressing of Post is on the top of my want list as soon as I get my new bank card. Unbelievably jealous.

D.Lo

My vinyl obsession has led me to release my band's first album on a 33, even though it is completely unjustifiable economically. I just wanted one for myself. So I guess it's a record that cost me $2500.

RDreamer

If it works, absolutely.

Is it like a huge improvement over what I have now, or just a generally pretty solid record player?

Is there anything else I'd need to buy if I got it? I hear people talking about amps and stuff. Do you need one or can I just plug it into my sound system like I currently do? Also, I should probably replace the needle on it too right away, right?

Might go back today and see if I can test it out there.

Edit: platter doesn't move and the needle is broke. Not sure how to fix the platter. Might need a belt or something

Edit2: yup, no belt. No idea if it works, then.

Hello Vinyl-GAF, today I officially started my vinyl collection, picked up Tunnel of Love - Bruce Springsteen

tomorrow I plan on going back and getting 20/20 Experience, Vampire Weekend and maybe Highway 61 Revisited

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
FyXpBsl.jpg

Records will fall off the side, would not buy.

My vinyl obsession has led me to release my band's first album on a 33, even though it is completely unjustifiable economically. I just wanted one for myself. So I guess it's a record that cost me $2500.

This is me. Except for the having $2500 part.

And Icarus, yes if money isn't a huge concern just get a Project or a Rega. You don't want to go overboard and have it end up in your closet next to your short wave radio and karate outfit.

A rough little vinyl storage thing I built for my gf for her birthday. She doesn't have the biggest collection but it's more than those few I have, haha. Of course the usual Ikea ones are more simple and practical but I kinda wanted to get away from that. Also she can put her record player on top...or just some flowers or something. :) (The smaller brown compartment to the left is for disordered or currently used LPs so you don't create a mess!)
djH9fO9.jpg

A rough little vinyl storage thing I built for my gf. She doesn't have the biggest collection but it's more than those few I have, haha. Of course the usual Ikea ones are more simple and practical but I kinda wanted to get away from that. Also she can put her record player on top...or just some flowers or something. :)
djH9fO9.jpg

It's very nice actually. Looking good and I really like the more accessible side storage for the most recently played records.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
HOW CUTE. Pin that shit to Pinterest, son.

Not entirely sure how a record player's supposed to fit on that since the top is less than the width of a record. Also I'm not sure what that hinged lid is supposed to give you access to. But I'm glad that you are expressing yourself creatively.

Recent pickups

Pearl Jam - Crown of Thorns/Can't Help Falling in Love (7" Ten Club single) $1
The Dirtbombs - The Merit/Mystified 7" (3 sealed copies for $1 each. One red vinyl, one blue, and one green)
Okkervil River - I Am Very Far (sealed 2xLP) $10
Neon Indian - Fallout/Polish Girl 7" $1

It's very nice actually. Looking good and I really like the more accessible side storage for the most recently played records.

HOW CUTE. Pin that shit to Pinterest, son.

Not entirely sure how a record player's supposed to fit on that since the top is less than the width of a record. Also I'm not sure what that hinged lid is supposed to give you access to. But I'm glad that you are expressing yourself creatively.

Thx! :) Her strange ancient record player fits perfectly, I took the dimensions of my broken one and she's got the same player. The lid (you can pull around it all the way to back) is just so that she could browse the collection like with an open crate...if she doesn't want to put anything on the top, that is. Makes no sense maybe, I'm just leaving the option. ;D I will paint the sides later this week. Haven't decided on a motive, yet.

caex

Neo Member
So, I just picked up a Pioneer PL-530 from a local record shop, Static Age Records. Unfortunately, the receiver I have is blown, so I need to get a new one. What is a decent receiver for under 200, if there is one?

A rough little vinyl storage thing I built for my gf for her birthday. She doesn't have the biggest collection but it's more than those few I have, haha. Of course the usual Ikea ones are more simple and practical but I kinda wanted to get away from that. Also she can put her record player on top...or just some flowers or something. :) (The smaller brown compartment to the left is for disordered or currently used LPs so you don't create a mess!)
djH9fO9.jpg

this is scrump as fuck but i don't think you could fit a turntable on top of it.

EDIT i can't read

andylsun

Brian eno x nicolas jaar x grizzly bear! Chance of finding that in New Hampshire is probably pretty low.

Edit: factory records sampler... Ooh - wonder what the track list is

So, I just picked up a Pioneer PL-530 from a local record shop, Static Age Records. Unfortunately, the receiver I have is blown, so I need to get a new one. What is a decent receiver for under 200, if there is one?

I know I sound like a broken record (heh) but cruise around pawn shops, flea markets, yardsales and what not an find a sturdy older receiver that a) works b) has a phono-input.

andymcc

Banned
I've been mostly looking up hip hop vinyl but most other alternative and classic rock I've searched has shown up and cheaper

no, not at all.

i've found local record stores around where i live for $2 to $3 cheaper a piece on average. additionally, amazon's stock is usually shit when a big release comes out (you'll be moved to backordered status without fulfillment date in no time) and, with older records, you're always going to get a reissue which isn't always going to sound so great.

I've been mostly looking up hip hop vinyl but most other alternative and classic rock I've searched has shown up and cheaper

Dunno about Hip Hop vinyls but first hit for "hip hop rap distro" was Fat Beats:

http://www.fatbeats.com/

and everything I checked that was available on Amazon was more expensive on Amazon.

Alternative and especially classic rock is easy to get through Discogs.com

hoverX

Stupid cats broke the stylus on my record player.

Question for everyone. I've got an Ortofon cartridge (concorde, i think) hooked up to a Technics 1200 mk2. I bought this cartridge around 10 years ago. Should I shop around for a better cartridge or just buy a replacement?

At the time it was a great cartridge and what I could afford. Plus I was a DJ at the time so i wasn't really looking at it from an audiophile angle.

andylsun

Stupid cats broke the stylus on my record player.

Question for everyone. I've got an Ortofon cartridge (concorde, i think) hooked up to a Technics 1200 mk2. I bought this cartridge around 10 years ago. Should I shop around for a better cartridge or just buy a replacement?

At the time it was a great cartridge and what I could afford. Plus I was a DJ at the time so i wasn't really looking at it from an audiophile angle.

Put a OM-5e stylus or better (OM-10) on the concorde cart and you should be all set. I would buy a genuine one, not an aftermarket. My aftermarket OM-10 was crap

Myriadis

IMG_2927.jpg

Got a hold of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden tonight, making my modest collection of vinyl feel nearly complete. There are only a handful of other albums I'm reeeally looking to pick up now.
Now I'm a bit jealous. I "only" have a CD of the Spirit of Eden, but at least I have it.

Picked these all up at a flea market yesterday:

GbnFG.jpg

All for 10 bucks total. All in really great condition. And the Thick as a Brick one has the original fold out newspaper design. I absolutely love it and I'm glad I went for it even though it was a buck more expensive than the version without that.

I love it when I get some good deals for Vinyls in good Shape. From my ~60-70 vinyls I have, some are in quite some bad condition. Some bad scratches that can cause a loop or too much dust on them, or the album cover is rotting. But it's damn great to get one in good condition for 2€, especially when it's not that common. I would love to have that OG Tull album.

Went on vacation and bought quite a few vinyls. Couldn't help myself, found some pretty good deals. Also The Weeknd Trilogy box set came in today. Not happy about the whole signature fiasco but apparently it's going to be rectified with either a partial refund or new prints with signatures. Box set is gorgeous tho, and the albums sound great.

Also picked up the Frank Ocean Channel Orange bootleg. Found it for cheap and since they're still sitting on an official vinyl release, I figured what the hell. It actually sounds decent but the packaging is barebones.

andylsun

This one?

http://www.ortofon-shop.com/shop?pa...age_lite_pdf.tpl&product_id=96&category_id=33

On my cartridge it doesn't explicitly say I have a concorde 10. I have no idea what model it is. Like i mentioned earlier, it's fairly old.

Yes, that should fit the Concorde.

If you get it, make sure you set the tracking force based on the stylus, even if the old stylus on your Concorde ran with a higher tracking force.

Concorde normally came with Pro S stylus, but OM stylus fit fine.

Went on vacation and bought quite a few vinyls. Couldn't help myself, found some pretty good deals. Also The Weeknd Trilogy box set came in today. Not happy about the whole signature fiasco but apparently it's going to be rectified with either a partial refund or new prints with signatures. Box set is gorgeous tho, and the albums sound great.

Also picked up the Frank Ocean Channel Orange bootleg. Found it for cheap and since they're still sitting on an official vinyl release, I figured what the hell. It actually sounds decent but the packaging is barebones.

I really really want weeknd on vinyl but $200 for 3 vinyl is just crazy, especially after the signature fiasco

hoverX

Yes, that should fit the Concorde.

If you get it, make sure you set the tracking force based on the stylus, even if the old stylus on your Concorde ran with a higher tracking force.

Concorde normally came with Pro S stylus, but OM stylus fit fine.

I think I might get this stylus. They have it in stock at the shop down the street from my office. That way I won't have to pay for shipping or customs.

http://www.ortofon-shop.com/shop?pa...age_lite_pdf.tpl&product_id=20&category_id=22

Do you think it looks good?

Dwayne

anyone want to write a better op for this thread? blamespace is about, he could edit it in. I would but I just don't know enough about it all yet (which is why I want a comprehensive op with some good links) :D

anyone want to write a better op for this thread? blamespace is about, he could edit it in. I would but I just don't know enough about it all yet (which is why I want a comprehensive op with some good links) :D

It would be cool to see someone make an informative and comprehensive OP

After going through discogs also, it seems amazon is still cheapest, but you have to factor in non amazon.com sellers. But the amazon prime price is still usually cheaper then competitors

After going through discogs also, it seems amazon is still cheapest, but you have to factor in non amazon.com sellers. But the amazon prime price is still usually cheaper then competitors

If you're looking for really recent, popular, mainstream releases, Amazon is probably your best bet. Discogs destroys pretty much Amazon (or anyone else for that matter) for anything beyond that. I also order alot from HHV.de, Juno.co.uk, Redeyerecords.co.uk, vinyl-digital.de and bleep.com because when you order a bunch of records at a time it makes the shipping somewhat bearable. Living in Canada fucking sucks for shipping, so jealous of American domestic shipping prices.

Top Bottom