• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Thanks man, sounds good. I've been looking at this one Audio-Technica AT-LP120 or the Audio Technica AT-LP60. I'm leaning towards the 120 because of the design and I've read some favorable opinions of it.

Also anyone have any experience with Amazon warehouse because I found the ATLP120 for $150 (actually $215).

With how I'm going to be using this thing, should I opt for the 60 or 120?

I was in your exact same position a few months ago and I went with the 120 through Amazon warehouse too, actually. First of all the 120 is amazing. I didn't really know anything about vinyl (I still kind of don't) but I don't regret it at all. Very easy to setup, there's not much to it and the manual is easy to read.

As for Amazon warehouse, I use it all the time and have never been let down. As long as you read their descriptions you should be fine. However, when I received my AT-LP120 some of the items were loose in the product box, which unsettled me a bit. I'd say go for the "Like New" items if you can.

Cider X

Hello vinylGAF

Today I picked up a bunch of albums including the remastered 180g vinyl of Coldplay's "A Rush Of Blood To The Head".
It has decent sound, but on the track "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" during the quiet intro there are some really nasty loud, repeatable pops for about 20 seconds. Should I take it back? Or is this what can be expected? The vinyl looks pristine, there are no visual defects...

This is the release:
coldplay_rush_f__85377.1349549722.1280.1280.jpg

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
This is pretty obvious, but since you didn't mention it in your post: did you try cleaning it?

Cracks and pops are normal but can be drastically reduced depending on the turntable, the cartridge and the power supply.

I like them though. Part of the charm.

If you cleaned the record and your turntable is properly grounded and the vinyl isn't shitty-ly remastered, yeah it might be defective.

I would try it on a different turntable if you can and see if it still happens.

Here's what I got in the past couple of months.

Rocket from the Crypt - Group Sounds

Bought this at their concert in Barcelona last week along with 2 t-shirts. Sweet.

Cult of Luna - Vertikal

Love this record cover art but they decided to place a sticker right on top of it with the numbering of the LE. I want to take it off but I'm afraid of damaging the cover. Why do they do these things? :(

Vast - Visual Audio Sensory Theater

This is a record I really love. Do not enjoy so much their later stuff though, they went a bit into nu-metal territory.Glad I found this on vinyl, was not expecting that.

Trans Am - Futureworld

Fucking Amazing record. The first two tracks are absolute party hits!

The Dillinger Escape Plan - S/T EP

A reissue of their first recording.

Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beercoaster

The most retardedly funniest record ever and with pretty awesome music and rapping in it too, if you ask me! Had to buy it.

June of 44 - In the fishtank 6

A very short EP but with very nice songs and was cheap.

omgkitty

Italians Do It Better are restocking their store here in about 4 hours with a lot of stuff that's super cheap, so if you're interested, here's the details.

We Just Received A Huge Stack Of Vinyl From Portland. Johnny & Adam Raided Glass Candy's Stash For The Summer Tour & Express Mailed It To Los Angeles. These Are All Temporary Restocks Of Random Amounts For Mail Order Only. We Also Have About 150 Copies Left Of The New Pressing Of "Night Drive" On Snow White Vinyl. "Kill For Love" On White Is Coming Any Day Now...But You Might Not Want To Wait. In An Effort To Help People Save Money On Combined Shipping...And To Give Everyone Around The World An Equal Chance To Grab These...We Aren't Posting Them As "BUY NOW" Until Monday.

These Records Go Online Monday At:

12 Noon In Los Angeles
3 PM In Montreal
9 PM In Paris

Here's What We'll Have:

079 Copies / Chromatics "Kill For Love" 2xLP Magenta Vinyl
037 Copies / Chromatics "In The City" LP White Vinyl
099 Copies / Desire LP White Vinyl
013 Copies / Desire "If I Can't Hold You" 12" Black Vinyl
197 Copies / Symmetry "Themes For An Imaginary Film" 3xLP Black Vinyl
015 Copies / Glass Candy "Geto Boys" 12" Black Vinyl
027 Copies / Glass Candy "Feeling Without Touching" EP Black Vinyl
033 Copies / Glass Candy "Warm In The Winter" 12" Colored Vinyl Mix
016 Copies / Appaloosa "Intimate" 12" Remix By Johnny On Black Vinyl
027 Copies / Farah "Gay Boy" 12" Black Vinyl
027 Copies / Mike Simonetti & Johnny Jewel "Hollywood 7" Edit Bootleg Black Vinyl
011 Copies / Mike Simonetti "Capricorn Rising" LP Black Vinyl
015 Copies / Mike Simonetti "That Look" Edit 12" Black Vinyl
004 Copies / Premier Rang "Les Corpes Humides" 12" Black Vinyl
009 Copies / Bottin "Fly Like An Eagle" Edit 12" Black Vinyl
008 Copies / Solange "Robots Are Un-American" 12" Black Vinyl

12"s & EPs Are $3.00
1xLPs Are $10.00
2xLPs Are $13.00
3xLPs Are $15.00

Link to store

omgkitty

And you even included Paris time... I wanted Kill for Love and I still missed it dammit.

Haha I just copied and pasted from their website. Kill for Love sold out immediately in the first minute. Don't worry though as they will have white vinyl copies for sale soon.

FnordChan

Trans Am - Futureworld

Fucking Amazing record. The first two tracks are absolute party hits!

Oh, man, I don't think I've listened to Futureworld in something like a decade. I had no idea Trans Am's back catalog was being reissued on vinyl; I may have to pick up Surrender To The Night this weekend.

Just a heads up, There's a few copies of this left:

http://music.musicofthemoon.com/album/moon-ep

Limited run of 100 and I know GAF loves some Hotline Miami soundtrack.

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered a copy.

FnordChan

got the jessie ware and Yeah yeah yeah albums today, cant wait to listen to them. Also i should be getting my Chromatics -Night drive from IDIB today

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I really haven't updated in awhile, so here goes nothing (left to right).

Toro Y Moi - Blessa
Toro Y Moi, Dog Bite (2) - Lyin (Pt. 1-4)/Would Be
Toro Y Moi - June 2009
Tamaryn - Mild Confusion

Shlohmo - Laid Out
Desert Sessions, The - Vol 1. Instrumental Driving Music For Felons / Vol II. Status: Ships Commander Butchered
Tom Tom Club - Close To The Bone
Daft Punk - Discovery

Dharma (8) - Technology And Truth
Toro Y Moi - Anything In Return
Chelsea Wolfe - Unknown Rooms: A Collection Of Acoustic Songs
Black Keys, The - Brothers

Julie Doiron - I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day
Girls (5) - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
Smoke DZA - Rugby Thompson
Allah-Las - Allah-Las

Stevie Wonder - Music Of My Mind
Brian Eno - David Byrne - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts
Yeasayer - Ambling Alp
SBTRKT* - Live

Merilee Rush & The Turnabouts* - Angel Of The Morning / That Kind Of Woman
Carolyn Hester - Carolyn Hester
Carly Simon - Carly Simon
Numbers - Now You Are This

Desire (16) - II
Black Keys, The - Thickfreakness
Maggie Bell - Queen Of The Night
Laura Nyro - Eli And The Thirteenth Confession

Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery
Phil Collins - Face Value
Eleanor Friedberger - Last Summer
Alela Diane - Alela Diane & Wild Divine

Sonic Youth - Simon Werner A Disparu
Sonic-Youth* - The Eternal
Isis (6) - Panopticon
Chromatics - In The City EP

Seals & Crofts - Summer Breeze
Queens Of The Stone Age - Queens Of The Stone Age
Darkside (22) - Darkside EP
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step

and I even updated my bed sheets!

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So I found a Technics SL-B10 in my grandmother's closet (Probably belonged to my uncle when he was younger.), and was wondering if it's worth trying to get it fixed/replacing it's parts (I think it needs a new needle?) or just buying a whole new turntable from Amazon? (or from my local Goodwill/Flea Market if I'm lucky)

I want to have something ready for when Random Access Memories comes out.

Dwayne

So I found a Technics SL-B10 in my grandmother's closets (Probably belonged to my uncle when he was younger.), and was wondering if it's worth trying to get it fixed/replacing it's parts (I think it needs a new needle?) or just buying a whole new turntable from Amazon? (or from my local Goodwill/Flea Market if I'm lucky)

I want to have something ready for when Random Access Memories comes out.

Great turntable, go for it. Is it actually broken?

I picked up Django Unchained (blood splattered vinyl edition) from my local record store today

I really should get around to posting some pics of recent purchases to contribute to the thread

HTuran

Missed the Jamie xx Record Store Day edits this morening , going to have to pick them up online.

Did manage to get a copy of Shigeto's Lineage repress recently though. Threw in a couple of Ghostly slipmats for good measure.

derder

GAF I need some moral support.

1. I learn that Drive LP got lost in shipping or something. Never followed up on it.
2. My buddy calls to tell me that there are already two people in line for the 2 copies of DMB.
3. My friend (who wanted Blind Melon) and myself (Tame Impala, Cut Copy) show up an hour later.
4. People start to show up and the guy behind me in line is there for the same and more electronica. We get buddy-buddy and talk about music for a while. He's been in contact with the record store owner and knows that they have 10 Tame Impala, 6 Cut Copy and 1 Blind Melon.
5. One hour before opening, the owner shows up and in conversation, I bring up the fact that Drive didn't get shipped. He tells us that they actually got copies of Drive at 9pm the night before.
6. The guy behind me tells me that he'd already talked to owner and knew that they had 2 copies. He didn't want to say anything because the guys in front looked sketch.
7. The DMB guys look up ebay on their phones. They start to talk to me and one starts to talk to me about how much he loved Drive and soundtracks in general.
8. When we go through the line, the DMB guy grabs a copy of Drive and Poltergeist and other one offs. I grab the second Drive LP and in a moment of zen, hand it to the guy behind me.

Did I do the right thing? I had ruled off getting the record and didn't know that they had a copy until an hour before. The guy behind me, who I felt wouldn't resell it, had actually been waiting 6 or so hours for it. The DMB fans were actually just there to pick up all the one-off records.

tl;dr I had the Drive LP in my hand and gave it to someone who wanted it more than I did and I need emotional support. Also, screw DMB fans.

I'm actually happy about Drive delay, because now the record shop owner can hold it aside for me because its not apart of record store day

I'll post pics later today of some recent buys

Got pretty much everything I wanted!

-Fela Kuti
-David Bowie Picture Disc
-The Roots
-Biggie
-Buddy Guy

Had to wait since 6:30 AM for 3 and a half hours in the freezing rain but it was worth it!

8bit

Knows the Score
Did anyone even see the Pulp vs Soulwax 12"? There are loads on ebay and I don't know anyone that saw one in a store. Might be UK only though.

BeeDog

Did anyone even see the Pulp vs Soulwax 12"? There are loads on ebay and I don't know anyone that saw one in a store. Might be UK only though.

Tons of Pulp vinyls here in Stockholm. Only saw the Pulp name and missed that it was a Soulwax split, so didn't care at all.

I live in Raleigh and went to School Kids. Apparently the distribution center was in Chapel Hill which is about 40 minutes away.

If it's any consolation, the exact same Drive OST that came out last month in super limited quantities is coming out in a larger scale next month and it's on amazon for pre order

Lear

Well, my first Record Store Day was a bust. All I wanted was the Kate Bush Running Up That Hill picture disc and I couldn't find it anywhere. The three stores in Birmingham (UK) city centre hadn't had a single copy in. The only place that had got copies was a tiny (like seriously tiny) record store I'd never heard of, which had 8 copies but there were huge queues this morning and I was too late. Kinda ridiculous that a big city seemed to get 8 copies in total (when 2500 were produced for the UK). Guess the nature of RSD is such that you have to rely on luck.

Of course by the time I got home at ~10:30am there were already 40+ copies on ebay (there are now over 100 up). Utter bastards.

surly

Banned
^^I really hate that aspect of record collecting when it comes to limited presses. I understand why people do it, but it still sucks.

derder

We pulled to the record store at 12:15am and they were opening up early at 8am. We were 3rd in line and the line was 10 deep by 2am.

It was raining for most of it, but luckily we parked in the only spot available out front and just slept in the car until 7 :)

Top Bottom