• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

If you're looking for really recent, popular, mainstream releases, Amazon is probably your best bet. Discogs destroys pretty much Amazon (or anyone else for that matter) for anything beyond that.

I haven't really been looking for obscure records or out if print stuff so that may be why amazon is working out so well. It's not just "really recent" or popular stuff either that Amazon has fantastic prices of, again, I'm including all the sellers on Amazon

Any members of the forum here that live in the Las Vegas area? I'm heading down there next weekend and I'd like to hit a few record stores in the area. Any suggestions?

BdoUK

When possible I always try to buy from my local record store, but Amazon has recently started to offer AutoRIP digital MP3 downloads for all vinyl orders. It's very nice to pre-order a vinyl (i.e. the Audio Fidelity Blade Runner) and be able to immediately download the album in digital form.

8bit

Knows the Score
Oooooh, good point. I had pre-ordered the Blade Runner vinyl last month, Off to Amazon now to get it.

When possible I always try to buy from my local record store, but Amazon has recently started to offer AutoRIP digital MP3 downloads for all vinyl orders. It's very nice to pre-order a vinyl (i.e. the Audio Fidelity Blade Runner) and be able to immediately download the album in digital form.

I also prefer to buy all locally, as I have 3 decent record stores around me, but when I see their price for something and then take out my phone and see the amazon price is not only cheaper but no tax and prime shipping, hard to say no. But once in a while the local store will have amazon beat and I'll snatch it up then.

omgkitty

NIGHT_DRIVE_COVER.jpg

Just picked up the White Vinyl from their site for $18 with shipping!

I really really want weeknd on vinyl but $200 for 3 vinyl is just crazy, especially after the signature fiasco

I feel ya, but I've been waiting for this to finally be pressed. I had extra tax return money this year, so I figured what the hell.

I have no problem paying a pretty penny for something limited or hard to find, as long as it's something I see myself listening to more than a few times.

BTW, now we're getting a signed lithograph and something special from Kissland for the whole signature nonsense.

I feel ya, but I've been waiting for this to finally be pressed. I had extra tax return money this year, so I figured what the hell.

I have no problem paying a pretty penny for something limited or hard to find, as long as it's something I see myself listening to more than a few times.

BTW, now we're getting a signed lithograph and something special from Kissland for the whole signature nonsense.

I'm a huge weeknd fan but I've heard nothing but negative things about him as a person. Honestly wasn't surprised he felt he wouldn't bother signing 500 records, even though fans paid $200 for them. He will likely just have an intern sign them now.

Still doesn't mean I don't want those records though lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_0166_zps55978560.jpg

Jeff Beck, Bowie, Zeppelin, Prince, and CocoRosie.

They had copies of Truth and Beck-ola individually, but one was a Japanese pressing and didn't have anything but the paper sleeve, so I opted for the double LP reissue just to get both albums for a solid price.

nitewulf

IMG_0166_zps55978560.jpg

Jeff Beck, Bowie, Zeppelin, Prince, and CocoRosie.

They had copies of Truth and Beck-ola individually, but one was a Japanese pressing and didn't have anything but the paper sleeve, so I opted for the double LP reissue just to get both albums for a solid price.

hmm, you should have gone for the japanese pressing i think...they usually sound damn good. and have a certain charm.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, I considered it, but my setup is almost as old as this pressing (ha!) so the quality difference would've been lost on me. It's why I avoid buying all these recent 180g reissues and get the dusty old originals for a couple of bucks.

Because I've recently started buying vinyl I have a bunch of vinyl still in shrink wrap, I've heard about warping. Should i remove the shrink wrap and put them in clear sleeves to avoid this?

STG!

Because I've recently started buying vinyl I have a bunch of vinyl still in shrink wrap, I've heard about warping. Should i remove the shrink wrap and put them in clear sleeves to avoid this?

Keep them stacked up vertical and tight, like you would books. When you store the vinyl at an angle, basically over time and due to the weight on them, they could warp. Especially if they aren't kept in temperature controlled enviroments.

I usually remove the outer shrink, but it's not a big deal if you want to keep it on to preserve the art. It's safe regardless, and you can always get some resealable sleeves. :)

Keep them stacked up vertical and tight, like you would books. When you store the vinyl at an angle, basically over time and due to the weight on them, they could warp. Especially if they aren't kept in temperature controlled enviroments.

I usually remove the outer shrink, but it's not a big deal if you want to keep it on to preserve the art. It's safe regardless, and you can always get some resealable sleeves. :)

Thanks, I think I'm going to look for some sleeves

But do sleeves damage the art?

CRS

I just tear the corners of the shrink wrap and leave them as is. Works for me until I play them but I don't bother with sleeves.

There is a slight chance that your record could get warped if the shrink is super tight, but less when it's opened from one side. I usually tear them away anyway, shrink sucks. Plastic sleeves cost like a penny a piece.

Pro tip: don't use knife or nails or anything else on the shrinks, just rub the open side to your pants (jeans preferred).

If they're good they shouldn't! Here's a site I use, they carry both outer (and inner!) sleeves:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-90-poly-sleeves.aspx

Appreciate it, I was looking for something like that

Today for a $60(post tax) I picked up 5 brand new vinyl
Common - Be
TCQ - low end theory
Miles Davis - kind of blue
F+M - ceremonials
Eminem - relapse

The local record guy was showing me the prices on the distributer website and we negotiated he each one

I only have two records so far, so they won't stand up vertically without using something to hold them up, which I've read is also bad for them. What should I do?

And is it true that the sound quality of a record will degrade over time no matter what due to the needle going over it?

And is it true that the sound quality of a record will degrade over time no matter what due to the needle going over it?

I was at my parents recently and put on Beatles '65. The cover was beat to hell, but good lord did that platter sound nice! Take care of your records and they will be fine.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Guys, they're not holy relics, you can take the plastic off. You can even play them using a record player.

Dwayne

Ok since no one stepped up to write a new op, i'll do it
I've started a google doc and so far have thrown a bunch of links and info in there

it's currently set open for editing, so if you guys have anything to share or you think is important, please add to it

I'll close it for editing tomorrow and try and craft something together after that

quote to see link - thanks CRS :) die lurkers!

CRS

Ok since no one stepped up to write a new op, i'll do it
I've started a google doc and so far have thrown a bunch of links and info in there

it's currently set open for editing, so if you guys have anything to share or you think is important, please add to it

I'll close it for editing tomorrow and try and craft something together after that

Hide the link with the e-mail method.

Quote to see link.

Dwayne

like what I see so far, looking forward to the finished OP

Cheers :) It's starting to expand a bit now.

You guys feel free to re-write, correct, or add to anything I've written. I really don't know that much and am probably skimming over some important details.

CRS

Cheers :) It's starting to expand a bit now.

You guys feel free to re-write, correct, or add to anything I've written. I really don't know that much and am probably skimming over some important details.

Yeah looks real good. Now we need to come up with a fancy title.

Vinyl-GAF |OT| 33 RPM Thread for Vinyl Listeners and Collectors ?

Also, audiogon.com should be a great site to recommend for equipment.

-Mikey-

Yeah looks real good. Now we need to come up with a fancy title.

Vinyl-GAF |OT| 33 RPM Thread for Vinyl Listeners and Collectors ?

Also, audiogon.com should be a great site to recommend for equipment.

Current OT:
Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

New OT:
Stuck in the Past - a 33 1/3 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Vinyl-GAF |OT| 33 1/3 RPM Thread of Vinyl Is Plural

I opened the google doc but then it started to change before my eyes so I got scared and closed the tab.

Dwayne

Vinyl-GAF |OT| 33 1/3 RPM Thread of Vinyl Is Plural

I opened the google doc but then it started to change before my eyes so I got scared and closed the tab.

That's the magic working

Several sections i've just put <text> as a placeholder, if anyone has anything, go ahead

Polyvinyl's got a cool sale going. You can get a grab bag of six 7"s for $10.

From their site:

From Encyclopedia Brown to the currently unsolved case of who keeps leaving their dirty dishes in the office sink, nobody loves a good mystery more than us.

And that's why -- for one week only -- we're offering the Polyvinyl Mystery 7" bundle! For just $10, we'll pick out a random assortment of six 7"s from throughout our entire catalog of releases and ship it to your door.

To ensure that we can send these out in a timely manner, we aren't able to take any requests, but we promise not to send you any duplicates!

You are also guaranteed to get records from six different bands. Unless you order two bundles. In that case you might get two from the same band, but such is life.

Hurry -- this great deal will only be available for one week (until 4/18), but may end sooner if stock runs low!

Please note: there is a limit of 2 bundles per customer.

Protip: Use the coupon code "UTR" to save an extra 10%. I ordered two of them and it came out to be $22.43 shipped.

Edit: Forgot to include the link. http://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/index.php?id=2388

zerotol

Banned
Every time I've ordered records from Polyvinyl, they put candy in the package along with whatever records i bought. Usually Airheads

KG56s7B.jpg

STG!

I only have two records so far, so they won't stand up vertically without using something to hold them up, which I've read is also bad for them. What should I do?

Very cool! When I was starting out (and had very little extra cash to throw at storage solutions), I used milk crates and would stuff them with extra cardboard and old shirts to keep the vinyl vertical. Pretty cheap and easy! I'm sure they sell smaller record holders that would hold 50 or so records, then you can cut cardboard pieces 12"x12" to fill out the empty space.

I do something sort of similar now, since I sort my vinyl by label then cat# it doesn't grow linearly, by putting extra cardboard inserts on the left and right sides (I use a couple of Ikea Expedit units for storage nowadays, and it's a cubbyhole type design). So when I add to a particular letter, I have extra space to add in new vinyl almost all the time by simply removing the extra cardboard, and I don't have to move my entire collection around.

And it's true, vinyl can and will degrade over time, but if you use high quality, low wear needles and calibrate your equipment correctly (using the proper amount of weight, balance, etc.), you'll extend the shelf life tremendously and it's basically never an issue. I have tons of heavily played records that still sound phenomenal by making sure I keep up with my setup! :)

if you use high quality, low wear needles and calibrate your equipment correctly (using the proper amount of weight, balance, etc.), you'll extend the shelf life tremendously and it's basically never an issue.

How do you calibrate it correctly? And how do you know if a needle is good? I don't even have a record player yet.

STG!

How do you calibrate it correctly? And how do you know if a needle is good? I don't even have a record player yet.

Well, this can be a pretty deep question! :) Do you have an idea what turntable you're looking to buy? The manual will give you the basic rundown on what's necessary to set up your turntable correctly (like balancing the tonearm, etc.), and the cartridge you buy will let you know what weights you should use. You'll also want to set it up on a nice stand or piece of furniture that doesn't shake or move at all, and use a bubble level to make sure the platter of the turntable is perfectly level. This is kind of the basic stuff.

For what kind of cartridge/needles you should buy, it depends on what you plan on doing (mixing/play back only), and what you're looking to spend. I'd check out some reviews if you're on the fence, but make sure you buy a turntable that allows you to swap them out.

If you want to delve further, I'm sure there's plenty of guides online how to properly set up a turntable so you might even want to google around or check out some youtube vids. Since it's new to you, it's worth researching that's for sure! It's not too hard, so have fun with it!

Well, this can be a pretty deep question! :) Do you have an idea what turntable you're looking to buy? The manual will give you the basic rundown on what's necessary to set up your turntable correctly (like balancing the tonearm, etc.), and the cartridge you buy will let you know what weights you should use. You'll also want to set it up on a nice stand or piece of furniture that doesn't shake or move at all, and use a bubble level to make sure the platter of the turntable is perfectly level. This is kind of the basic stuff.

For what kind of cartridge/needles you should buy, it depends on what you plan on doing (mixing/play back only), and what you're looking to spend. I'd check out some reviews if you're on the fence, but make sure you buy a turntable that allows you to swap them out.

If you want to delve further, I'm sure there's plenty of guides online how to properly set up a turntable so you might even want to google around or check out some youtube vids. Since it's new to you, it's worth researching that's for sure! It's not too hard, so have fun with it!

I honestly don't even know what a cartridge or a weight is. I'm completely new to this.

I was looking at one of the Pro-Ject tables, but I heard somewhere that the Rega R1 is a better choice. I don't know which one to go with.

I plan to listen to music only, nothing special.

grkazan12

I have the same dilemma, as the guy above just slightly different. So my first vinyl is going to be Random Access Memories by Daft Punk and I really want to listen to it on vinyl. I don't plan on amassing a huge collection of vinyls, I feel like I might from time to time by some of my favorite albums on vinyl. I also plan on using the record player on a pair of Sennheisers and really nice Logitech speakers.

With that said, I don't want to spend too much on a record player. I want something that's affordable, but can also output decent sound quality. I'm not an expert, but is there anything like the player I described above, only with a preamp. I'm also planning to use this via auxiliary.

Any recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated.

CRS

A cartridge is the device at the end of the arm of the turntable. It contains the needle which can be switched out too (and can be another can of worms.)

grkazan12, you can look up Audio-Technica's LP turntable series. I think they might be what you're looking for. They're solid tables with a pre-amp built in. Just set it up and ready to play. No worries about a pre-amp, PSU, etc.

grkazan12

A cartridge is the device at the end of the arm of the turntable. It contains the needle which can be switched out too (and can be another can of worms.)

grkazan12, you can look up Audio-Technica's LP turntable series. I think they might be what you're looking for. They're solid tables with a pre-amp built in. Just set it up and ready to play. No worries about a pre-amp, PSU, etc.

Thanks man, sounds good. I've been looking at this one Audio-Technica AT-LP120 or the Audio Technica AT-LP60. I'm leaning towards the 120 because of the design and I've read some favorable opinions of it.

Also anyone have any experience with Amazon warehouse because I found the ATLP120 for $150 (actually $215).

With how I'm going to be using this thing, should I opt for the 60 or 120?

Top Bottom