• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

We pulled to the record store at 12:15am and they were opening up early at 8am. We were 3rd in line and the line was 10 deep by 2am.

It was raining for most of it, but luckily we parked in the only spot available out front and just slept in the car until 7 :)

Wow, dedication

Also, record store day and a few recent purchases

RSD
Notorious BIG - Ready to Die
The Roots Things Fall Apart

Janelle Monae - ArchAndroid
JT - 20/20 Experience
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

imagepcbe.jpg

more pics coming...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Only thing that appeals to me about RSD is that some stores run general sales, like $x off a purchase of $xx or whatever. Gives me an excuse to dig through their used crates a few more times.

Not at all interested in the slew of singles/EPs/7" releases.

Chris R

Wow, why even bother having something called "Record Store Day" when the only record store in the entire area participating gets a box of 30 records with 20 of them being Miles Davis/Aerosmith/Linkin Park :| Waste of time to even head down and check it out.

CRS

Great RSD today.

Hopefully will go back sometime next week and continue trekking through their used sections.

The only one I didn't get was Shuggie Otis' LP. I guess their Sony shipment was late. :(

I really only wanted to get Frightened Rabbit's Midnight Organ Fight re-issue as I knew no stores in my state would have gotten Drive yet. Anyway, got out front of a smaller record store since it didn't have too large of a line and was going to be the second group ushered in when I asked the attendant who was telling us when we could enter if they even got the album. He pops his head and and asks and the store owner says they only got one and right when he said that this kid who was on his way out ran back and snagged it.
Ruined my day.
Turns out that was the only store in my area that even ordered it.
Oh well. Maybe I can pick up Drive when it makes it's way over to NY.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, in little podunk Little Rock, Arkansas we didn't have but one store taking part in RSD, and they didn't get anywhere near all of the releases I was interested in, but here's my haul:

Calexico - Spiritoso
Of Monsters and Men
At the Drive-in - Relationship of Command (orange vinyl)
Cut Copy - Bright Like Neon Love
Dio - Magica (picture disc)
John Lennon - Imagine (white vinyl boxed set with swag in it)

Pretty happy with my haul, I'm listening to the Calexico right now and it's amazing.

RSD purchases from Crash Records in Leeds, UK:

x2DBnOm.jpg

Metronomy - Pip Paine (You Owe Me £5000)
Django Django - Hi Djinx
Breton - Remixes
Suede - Barriers/Animal Nitrate
Pulp - After You
Foals - My Number
Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords

Everything I wanted but got up at 3.30am after 2.5 hrs sleep. Was still drunk when I got to the quee at 4.30 and number 23!

Dwayne

These aren't all RSD releases, though, are they - The Final Cut and Coney Island Baby?

EDIT: WTF is the Syd Barrett?

Nah, just Velvet Underground and the xx. I rarely go to the record stores so I picked up a few other titles too. The two stores in central city, 5-10 minutes after opening only had 8 or so people in them, and upon buying some records I was the 9th person to enter into the raffle they had, not a great sign. They both had bands playing later though, and that seemed to bring people in.

The Syd Barrett record is a bootleg with outtakes and rare songs (Scream thy last scream etc), pretty happy to find it :)

It's today unless you had special access
I live in New Zealand, we get RSD first :) That said, I wanted the pulp single and didn't see it anywhere, also had my eye open for the ELP box which no one had. I think a few of the releases are still in the mail to the stores.

I live in the Chicago suburbs, so I had my choice of many shops in Chicago and Milwaukee. I decided to go with the Exclusive Company in Greenfield, since I assumed traffic would be less compared to the Milwaukee store or someplace like Reckless or Dave's in Chicago. I got there 2 and a half hours early and got 15th in line, but by opening, there was at least 150 there. I snagged the last copy of Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun. Also got Cut Copy - Bright Like Neon Love and David Bowie - The Stars (Are Out Tonight). Missed the MGMT cassette and the Dan Deacon 7". Really wanted the Deacon 7".

I was surprised to find Caribou/Manitoba - Up In Flames. I thought it was only a UK RSD 2013 exclusive, but they had one copy. Snatched it right up. It's on really cool red flame wax.

Anyway, a pretty successful first Record Store Day outing.

rgjtYVe.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So in addition to the RSD haul, I got in from Amazon James Blake's latest. Like the self-titled vinyl release, this one is also a sonic powerhouse. The imaging is just fucking AMAZING. Playing in stereo on my rig, the sound is coming from the entire front of my room, nothing directional at all. The self-titled release had always been my go-to demo vinyl to show off my setup, but this one seems to have surpassed it.

Easily the pinnacle of sound quality and engineering, from the hundreds of vinyls that I own that is. Amazing.

nitewulf

i got:

Factory Communications
Both The Animals 10"s
Miles Davis - Milestones and Round About Midnite
Nick Drake
Brian Eno X Nicolas Jaar X Grizzly Bear

nitewulf

So in addition to the RSD haul, I got in from Amazon James Blake's latest. Like the self-titled vinyl release, this one is also a sonic powerhouse. The imaging is just fucking AMAZING. Playing in stereo on my rig, the sound is coming from the entire front of my room, nothing directional at all. The self-titled release had always been my go-to demo vinyl to show off my setup, but this one seems to have surpassed it.

Easily the pinnacle of sound quality and engineering, from the hundreds of vinyls that I own that is. Amazing.

you should get a copy of Space is Only Noise by Nicolas Jaar.

jergrah

Went to my little local place late in the afternoon -- picked up Best of the Ink Spots and an Ella Fitzgerald that I was missing from my collection

SCENE REPORT:

The Literally Only Day Of The Year I Go To A Record Store-day seemed to be a success once again with 100m lines of people flogging in front of records stores all around the world itching to buy used Prince records that have been there since the last TLODOTYIGTARSD which hopefully gave the record stores enough extra money to pay their next months rent. Too bad all the records I was even slightest bit interested seemed to be AWOL from whole northern Europe which means, once again, couple months of wait until they can be scourged from Discogs etc for 1/3rd of the price. Meanwhile stores around the world continue to stock new records and everything is back to normal until christmas 2 TLODOTYIGTARDS 7.

To sum up:

+ hopefully free space on the shelves to buy new stock (?) <-- awesome!
+ hopefully one month of financial solitude for stores
+ some people getting records they liked
+ some people getting records they can flip on ebay

- some people getting records they can flip on ebay
- some people having to snatch records from record flippers on ebay
- everything was expensive.jpg
- mainstream labels once again driving up the acceptable price to pay for a new record

Bitter? Nah.

Well, my first Record Store Day was a bust. All I wanted was the Kate Bush Running Up That Hill picture disc

Well unless the picture disc is somehow something special, the 12"/7" is available in every fleamarket in the world for fraction of the price. :)

Also one rule of advice when buying replacement parts: don't assume things, get the service manual and google the exact replacement part number. Turns out that there are 3 quite similar belts to Duals for example that fit quite random models even if the insides look the same :p

andylsun

Welp, after listening to the first 10 minutes of this on YouTube, I bought the vinyl off Amazon. Thanks!!!

While not vinyl, there are quite a few of his tracks for free download (lossless format) on the Clown and Sunset website. Don't break my love LP is well worth buying, but didn't get a physical release.

I've got Space is only Noise on CD, but thinking about double dipping. Keep me There is an amazing track

Shiv47

My RSD experience was okay, though it'll be the last time I do it. It isn't worth the lining up to me, especially as the camper aspect seems to get larger each year. I arrived an hour and a half earlier than I did last year, and the line had already gotten almost to where I started last year. Plus, people near the front who held spots for friends to roll up 20 minutes before opening is bullshit. At any rate, I got probably 60% of what i came for, I might pick up the rest online, I may not. Nothing I missed was an absolute must have. I got the Numero Group stuff, and Van Dyke Parks, Olafur Arnalds, and Zombies re-issues.

I also got these earlier in the week; Blade Runner limited re-issue on red vinyl, and the MFSL Imperial Bedroom release.

Shiv47

anyone lucky enough to get the At the Drive In lp?

i am also wondering which ones were actual exclusives?

Which RSD releases were exclusives? The RSD site lists what was an exclusive (with number of copies), and what was a RSD first day release (but not limited).

Went to my little local place late in the afternoon -- picked up Best of the Ink Spots and an Ella Fitzgerald that I was missing from my collection

Best of the Ink Spots. Damn I'm jealous. I missed Rsd again this year because of work. This year had a lot of shit I wanted.

My RSD experience was okay, though it'll be the last time I do it. It isn't worth the lining up to me, especially as the camper aspect seems to get larger each year. I arrived an hour and a half earlier than I did last year, and the line had already gotten almost to where I started last year. Plus, people near the front who held spots for friends to roll up 20 minutes before opening is bullshit. At any rate, I got probably 60% of what i came for, I might pick up the rest online, I may not. Nothing I missed was an absolute must have. I got the Numero Group stuff, and Van Dyke Parks, Olafur Arnalds, and Zombies re-issues.

I also got these earlier in the week; Blade Runner limited re-issue on red vinyl, and the MFSL Imperial Bedroom release.

I got to my local at 4.30am and was 23rd in the queue. The first time I did it (2010) I got there at 6.15 and was 12th!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So my mother had given me her vinyl collection that she amassed as a teen and young adult. I've been meticulously cleaning them then spinning them and some are just phenomenal in sound quality, but one has risen to the top of the heap for sonic qualities, imaging, and just overall awesomeness:

That's right, John "Fucking" Denver! Shit sounds amazing!

andylsun

No BEAK> over here, but picked up this today

Joy Division and New Order on side 1!

EsoBakvl.jpg

Edit: Side 2 is awesome! Never heard of The Durutti Column before, but the song Otis is beautiful - nice slice of Happy Mondays at the end too...

nitewulf

Got a copy for my friend, and my local has loads of copies spare.

Seems the UK has been better served than the US...

would you mind picking me up a copy on your next trip, if still available? i'll pay you or if you are interested in the Miles Davis - Round About Midnight (I haven't opened it yet), i'll trade for it.

Minus_Me

Finally got my hands on a original print Porgy and Bess 1976 by Oscar Peterson and Joe Pass. Couldn't be happier about the purchase.

Dwayne

That said, I wanted the pulp single and didn't see it anywhere

spoke too soon, apparently it was everywhere I just didn't recognise it from the front side (where you have to look closely to see it's pulp, compared to the back).
Found one down the road just now :D
hRFYsgjl.jpg

Flynn

Yeah, I don't think I picked up any record store day exclusives. But I did use the 10% discount to on the Fela box set #2 and some other random stuff.

FnordChan

RSD-2013-Haul.jpg

My RSD buddy and I didn't make it to the first shop until twenty minutes after they'd opened, so the place had already been descended on my locusts. This was disappointing, but I did pick up a copy of Listen, Whitey! The Sounds of Black Power 1967-1974 I'd been interested in. Then we got in line an hour early at another store across town, which paid off nicely when I snagged two of the RSD exclusives I was gunning for: a Fela Kuti 12" with an expanded version of "Sorrow, Tears and Blood" and Vuolo & Grande's 1979 Italian library LP Desert. Unfortunately, the owner didn't even have the opportunity to order any of the Death Waltz RSD exclusives, so no dice there, but they did have a copy of the soundtrack to They Live waiting for me to ease my pain. Finally, it's not vinyl but I was compelled to pick up the 5-disc reissue of The Conet Project for those times I want to lounge around the house and casually listen to numbers stations broadcasts.

FnordChan

Picked up the following on RSD:

Buck 65 - Honky Talkin' Blues
ISAN - Beautronics
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Caribou - Start Breaking My Heart
Caribou - Up In Flames
Lapalux - Nostalchic (non RSD release)
National Forest - In Your Makeup (non RSD release)

RDreamer

Finally had time to check out my local store to see if they still had some stuff. Picked this up:

rS0Tyk3.jpg

Steven Wilson picture disc. It's just a few demos, but I'm a sucker for SW stuff, and I'd like to hang it up.

andylsun

Hows the Nicolas tune? I'm in Asia right now so I couldn't pick it up :(

Nicolas Jaar? The brian eno track is exactly what you'd expect - very ambient/minimal soundscape. Need to listen with headphones. I don't know the grizzly bear original, but the remix sounds very Nicolas Jaar.

There were lots of copies of this left at my local Newbury Comics on Sunday, so it may not be hard to find if you are in europe/USA in a few weeks/months.

Edit: had some time listening to it this morning - both sides of the record are awesome. Growing on me nicely.

Top Bottom