• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

zerotol

Banned
I got pretty much the only thing I wanted on Record Store Day, the Giant Henry LP
CcprTTP.jpg

A few others I grabbed recently

Unwound - "Live Leaves"
V6ZAAbK.jpg

Toys That Kill - "Fambly 42"
DcoFxX2.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My latest acquisitions (excluding RSD stuff previously posted). Most are used record store finds, with only the top two rows being new. All have been put through my record washing apparatus and have new Mobile Fidelity Original Master Sleeves.

Starting at the top left, moving right:

Oscar Peterson Plays the Cole Porter Song Book
Freddie Hubbard - First Light
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Live at Berkeley
Phoenix - Bankrupt!
Alison Krauss & Union Station - paper airplane
Nicolas Javr - Space is Only Noise
Deep Purple - Live in Japan
Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
The Police - Synchronicity
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Deep Purple - Burn
Deep Purple - In Concert
Miles Davis - In Person
Deep Purple - Burn (single)
Nazareth - 'Snaz
Joni Mitchell - Clouds
Anything Goes! The Dave Brubeck Quartet Plays Cole Porter
Charles Mingus - Mingus Au Um
Charles Mingus - Reevaluation
Miles Davis - Quiet Nights

Local record store owner says he's getting Drive picture disc on Tuesday, very excited, didn't think I'd get it

New pickups:

Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
Nas - Illmatic
Wu tang - 36 chambers
Erykah Badu - Baduizm

The reflection from all my pics are from the sleeves I put them into

Danielsan

It's been a while since I picked up some vinyl so today I blew some cash in my favorite record store in Amsterdam.

Purity Ring's debut album on teal vinyl. I've been meaning to pick this up a for a while now. Love the teal.

LGXpZvS.jpg

Bonobo's The North Borders on vinyl. Not as great a release as Blacks Sands, but still easily one of my favourite albums this year. Love the cover art so I had to pick it up.

V7QSUQQ.jpg

Last but not least. This awesome looking vinyl picture disc from Kraak & Smaak. Apparently a remnant from record store day 2013. I saw two copies lying around and it looked so awesome. I immediately went for the listening stations to check it out. I'm mildly familiar with Kraak & Smaak (they are a Dutch producer trio) and I know they have some great stuff. To my great pleasure the tracks on the album are fantasic, so I just had to pick this one up.

You can check out the main track here: The future Is Yours

hIJBSYk.jpg

CRS

I've heard nice things about Pro-Ject's and was considering one but after reading Audiogon/Head-Fi/etc. I decided to get a Rega setup.

My setup in the near future will be a Rega RP6 + TT PSU (This makes it able to switch between 33.3 RPM and 45 RPM with a button press and records sound a lot better), a Pre-AMP (Most likely a Rega) which outputs to my amp.

Do you listen to a lot of 45s? I think they sound pretty good, but adjusting belts is a hassle. They make a speed box so you might want to budget for that I'd you listen to a lot of 45s

I also think you can only use the more expensive speed box within the carbon, buy check that out

45s are usually just singles right? or 7" records? If that's the case I don't as I don't have any singles or 7"s

I've heard nice things about Pro-Ject's and was considering one but after reading Audiogon/Head-Fi/etc. I decided to get a Rega setup.

My setup in the near future will be a Rega RP6 + TT PSU (This makes it able to switch between 33.3 RPM and 45 RPM with a button press and records sound a lot better), a Pre-AMP (Most likely a Rega) which outputs to my amp.

what did you read to make you not get a Debut Carbon?

swoon

45s are usually just singles right? or 7" records? If that's the case I don't as I don't have any singles or 7"s

for the most part yea. some stuff like 12 eps, jazz records (especially the reissues) and every once in a while someone like julia holter will have her single album released as a double LP set at 45. I think Tama Impala's records are at 45 as well.

CRS

Turntable -> Pre-Amp -> (Amp) -> Speakers/Headphones

There are exceptions when the turntable has a built-in pre-amp like Audio-Technica's line.

hey all, new to the thread, just subscribed...looking to get into vinyl...I'm in the US, can anyone recommend me a good record player, or a good site to shop for one? I'm slowly building a collection already without a means to play them...so far just Local H's latest album and a recent Misfits live album they signed. Looking to get the new Daft Punk on vinyl too. thanks for the help everyone!

suppose I can help out by saying I'm more casual about it, looking for good sound but doesnt have to be crazy top shelf stuff....at least not yet ;)

spectros4

Neo Member
hey all, new to the thread, just subscribed...looking to get into vinyl...I'm in the US, can anyone recommend me a good record player, or a good site to shop for one? I'm slowly building a collection already without a means to play them...so far just Local H's latest album and a recent Misfits live album they signed. Looking to get the new Daft Punk on vinyl too. thanks for the help everyone!

suppose I can help out by saying I'm more casual about it, looking for good sound but doesnt have to be crazy top shelf stuff....at least not yet ;)

I'm pretty much in the same situation too, and have been casually following this thread for a bit. I'm wondering if besides the actual record player, I'll probably need speakers, but will I also need some sort of a mix-box for volume and other stuff?

Shiv47

I'm still waiting on Blade Runner. Amazon keeps pushing back the release date!

Yeah, I ordered from Acoustic Sounds. Not sure why they haven't sent Amazon their stock. Managed to order a couple UK RSD titles from Rough Trade today, when they put their remaining stock up. I think I've just about gotten everything I had originally wanted, minus the Big Star release.

I've been thinking about getting into vinyl for years, just started collecting a month or so ago and building up a library. I'm also looking to get a record player now and realized it's a bit more complicated then I thought lol

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
New people: it's really simple, don't worry. There's what's called a LINE signal, and a PHONO signal. A LINE signal is what pretty much all consumer electronics use. Inputs on computer sound cards, AUX inputs in car stereos, inputs in to A/V receivers etc. A PHONO signal is a quieter signal, so it needs to be brought up to LINE level. In ye olden days stereo systems all had PHONO inputs, which had internal amplifiers to bring the signal up. But most things nowadays only have LINE inputs, so you need to get an external amplifier (preamp) to bring it up to LINE level first. OR, some turntables have internal preamps, and you can just set them to output at LINE level. That's all there is to it.

What do you listen to music through now? As long as it's not a phone or an MP3 player it very likely has a LINE input you can utilize.

I think my turntable's about to give up the ghost. I've also been thinking about getting the Pro-ject Debut Carbon, but I just got word from a friend in the audio industry that told me he can get me a nice discount on a Rega P-1 (or similar table). Any thoughts on which would be the better choice?

Yeah, if you can afford the difference, a Rega RP1 is better and more easily upgraded than an Pro-Ject III.

But then again, with the same starting point I ended up with RP3 so be careful. : )

It's been a while since I picked up some vinyl so today I blew some cash in my favorite record store in Amsterdam.

Purity Ring's debut album on teal vinyl. I've been meaning to pick this up a for a while now. Love the teal.

LGXpZvS.jpg

Bonobo's The North Borders on vinyl. Not as great a release as Blacks Sands, but still easily one of my favourite albums this year. Love the cover art so I had to pick it up.

V7QSUQQ.jpg

Last but not least. This awesome looking vinyl picture disc from Kraak & Smaak. Apparently a remnant from record store day 2013. I saw two copies lying around and it looked so awesome. I immediately went for the listening stations to check it out. I'm mildly familiar with Kraak & Smaak (they are a Dutch producer trio) and I know they have some great stuff. To my great pleasure the tracks on the album are fantasic, so I just had to pick this one up.

You can check out the main track here: The future Is Yours

hIJBSYk.jpg

Which one? Distortion? I think that's the best one from the ones I know, it's amazing actually :)

These are the records I got at Roadburn

Crowbar - Obedience thru suffering
My first crowbar vinyl, hope they are rereleasing their other stuff too, need to check on that!
A1QBw4c.jpg

Amesoeurs
This is a record a friend of mine bought me as a present because she thinks I will love it. It's supposed to be some black metal ambient stuff, don't know. The vinyl is translucent and looks amazing. Thanks Isa! :D
BwnxOGi.jpg

1bPUyC2.jpg

Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Classic. I saw The Psychedelic Warlords playing Space Ritual at Roadburn at it reminded me of how fucking awesome this record is. Then I saw it at the store and I had to have it, of course.
hJtNkP3.jpg

Godflesh - Hymns
So happy to have this on vinyl. Can't wait to play it.
vmSIrQ4.jpg

Trinacria - travel now journey infinitely
Another present this time from the record store guy haha. No idea what this is but he said I would like it looking at the stuff I bought. Will see.
b8q2dtE.jpg

New people: it's really simple, don't worry. There's what's called a LINE signal, and a PHONO signal. A LINE signal is what pretty much all consumer electronics use. Inputs on computer sound cards, AUX inputs in car stereos, inputs in to A/V receivers etc. A PHONO signal is a quieter signal, so it needs to be brought up to LINE level. In ye olden days stereo systems all had PHONO inputs, which had internal amplifiers to bring the signal up. But most things nowadays only have LINE inputs, so you need to get an external amplifier (preamp) to bring it up to LINE level first. OR, some turntables have internal preamps, and you can just set them to output at LINE level. That's all there is to it.

What do you listen to music through now? As long as it's not a phone or an MP3 player it very likely has a LINE input you can utilize.

thanks boss, helpful basic info. I listen to all music through my PC at the moment.

spectros4

Neo Member

Say I were to get this record player and these speakers. The player has a built in preamp
Is that all I would need to be able to play some vinyl?

Danielsan

Which one? Distortion? I think that's the best one from the ones I know, it's amazing actually :)
I have to admit, I don't think I've actually been to distortion. There's a couple of record stores that I've visited in Amsterdam, but of those few I prefer to go to Concerto. There's just a great vibe there. They have 5-6 Technics 1200s you can use to check out the vinyl, the guys working there are very friendly and helpful and they often tend to spin some cool records which is a fun way to get introduced to new music.

Danielsan

but if I go with debut carbon III I will need a preamp, amp and speakers to play it?
That's correct unless you get the version with the build in pre-amp, or an amp with a phono line build in. Honestly, the whole "you need a pre-amp" is very confusing for newcomers. The best recommendation I can give is to just hit up ebay, craiqslist or whatever local equivalent and to get yourself a nice, cheap, secondhand amp from the 70 - 90s with a phono port build in. You can easily check if the the amp has one as it is clearly marked phono on the back.

CRS

but if I go with debut carbon III I will need a preamp, amp and speakers to play it?

A record table gives out a really low (phono) signal so a pre-amp/phono amp/phono pre-amp (they're the same) amplifies the signal enough to a listenable level. If you didn't have a pre-amp, you would hear close to nothing coming out of your speakers.

Be careful with some new-er receivers. They may say that they have a phono input but it's bullshit and it's just a line input.

The second amp is optional. I have an audio-gd DAC/headphone amp that I currently use for my computer rig but will also use for my turntable setup since they drive my headphones really well.

CRS

Actually, those looks like passive speakers. You will need an amp or a receiver.

I didn't see anything on that Amazon page but after looking them up they are indeed passive speakers. Bummer.

So yes, I apologize for my previous post and you will need an Amplifier, not to be confused with the amplifier.

Passive = needs amp/receiver with amp

Active/Powered = no extra amp required

I have to admit, I don't think I've actually been to distortion. There's a couple of record stores that I've visited in Amsterdam, but of those few I prefer to go to Concerto. There's just a great vibe there. They have 5-6 Technics 1200s you can use to check out the vinyl, the guys working there are very friendly and helpful and they often tend to spin some cool records which is a fun way to get introduced to new music.

Oh, you need to go. The guy running it is not that helpful, the vibe is oppressive and the record players probably suck but man, it's vinyl paradise! LOL Just kidding, it's great, it's just that the place is a mess with so many records EVERYWHERE, but that's what I like about it.

http://www.distortion.nl/store.php

l.jpg

2335468-Distortion_Records_Westerstraat_Amsterdam.jpg

<3

That's correct unless you get the version with the build in pre-amp, or an amp with a phono line build in. Honestly, the whole "you need a pre-amp" is very confusing for newcomers. The best recommendation I can give is to just hit up ebay, craiqslist or whatever local equivalent and to get yourself a nice, cheap, secondhand amp from the 70 - 90s with a phono port build in. You can easily check if the the amp has one as it is clearly marked phono on the back.

A record table gives out a really low (phono) signal so a pre-amp/phono amp/phono pre-amp (they're the same) amplifies the signal enough to a listenable level. If you didn't have a pre-amp, you would hear close to nothing coming out of your speakers.

Be careful with some new-er receivers. They may say that they have a phono input but it's bullshit and it's just a line input.

The second amp is optional. I have an audio-gd DAC/headphone amp that I currently use for my computer rig but will also use for my turntable setup since they drive my headphones really well.

thanks

RDreamer

Amp stuff seems confusing. I'm glad I apparently stumbled into the right setup. I'm using one of those Audio Technica players that apparently has a pre-amp (and the crappy used one I had before that apparently did too), and I just plug it into the line in on my surround system. Sounds pretty damned swell to me.

I guess I could use my new headphone amp before plugging it into the surround, though, right?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I guess I could use my new headphone amp before plugging it into the surround, though, right?

No that would just distort the signal because you're amplifying a line level signal above line level and then plugging it in to a line level input.

Dwayne

http://recordsonwalls.com/
these are pretty cool. The idea of LP's on the wall is cool, and the point they're easily removable and cheap is appealing. I guess the downside is the lack of framing around the record itself, if the edges aren't in great nick it'd be noticeable.

RDreamer

these are pretty cool. The idea of LP's on the wall is cool, and the point they're easily removable and cheap is appealing. I guess the downside is the lack of framing around the record itself, if the edges aren't in great nick it'd be noticeable.

Those are pretty cool, though I do like the frame around the edges with normal frames. And normal frames can be found cheaper (at least I've found them on sale for very cheap)

Right now I've got a bunch of LPs on my wall. King Crimson "In the Court," "Larks Tongues," "Starless and Bible Black," and Red are above my couch. I've got Pink Floyd's "Wish You were Here" above my CD collection. And above my TV I have Anathema's "Weather Systems" and Storm Corrosion's self titled album. I tend to switch things up a bit. The ones above my couch are usually old prog albums, though, and the ones above my TV are usually newer records.

No that would just distort the signal because you're amplifying a line level signal above line level and then plugging it in to a line level input.

That's what I thought, and why I never tried it, but I thought I heard someone saying to do that recently. Must have misheard.

Flynn

Have only had my turntable for weeks and have been on a spending spree. I just made a big order from Deep Discount. I think I might need an intervention soon.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Cool !

Edit: and they don't ship to Yurop because"there is a small percentage of non-North American LPs which are slightly too small for these frames". Not cool. And wtf may I add.

Top Bottom