• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Right now I've got a bunch of LPs on my wall. King Crimson "In the Court," "Larks Tongues," "Starless and Bible Black," and Red are above my couch. I've got Pink Floyd's "Wish You were Here" above my CD collection. And above my TV I have Anathema's "Weather Systems" and Storm Corrosion's self titled album. I tend to switch things up a bit. The ones above my couch are usually old prog albums, though, and the ones above my TV are usually newer records.

Would you mind snapping a pic of two of this, if you don't mind? I've been toying with the same thing, just a few records that I like the look of.

Side note: I totally need to get Weather Systems on vinyl. Was my #1 favorite album of 2012, and it's criminal that I don't have the vinyl yet.

RDreamer

Would you mind snapping a pic of two of this, if you don't mind? I've been toying with the same thing, just a few records that I like the look of.

Side note: I totally need to get Weather Systems on vinyl. Was my #1 favorite album of 2012, and it's criminal that I don't have the vinyl yet.

Sure. I just changed out Wish You Were Here for my Steven Wilson picture disc:

qd4ulrA.jpg

OUoitRn.jpg

atoqf9D.jpg

And yeah I got Weather Systems for an almost criminal price. The Omega Order had a sale that wasn't supposed to work on everything, but it did. So I got Weather Systems CD, Vinyl, and shirt for like 12 bucks, lol.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
And yeah I got Weather Systems for an almost criminal price. The Omega Order had a sale that wasn't supposed to work on everything, but it did. So I got Weather Systems CD, Vinyl, and shirt for like 12 bucks, lol.

BURNING JEALOUSY!! Lucky dog!

The records up on the wall look really great, I'm definitely gonna have to do that, for a few like that.

Got some new stuff in today, including what may be the best colored vinyl I own (and I have quite a few):

Also a rose swirl colored Kadaver album:

guys:
Envy 14 LP box set...$160

http://shop.temporaryresidence.com/trr200
Formed in 1992 with an average age of 15 years old, Envy began as a blistering punk quintet, whipping violent riffs into frantic bursts that rarely cracked the two-minute mark. Their inexhaustible exploration of new sounds and ideas would lead them to incorporate strains of a experimental noise, subtle ambience, and triumphant, cinematic rock. Invariable Will, Recurring Ebbs and Flows is a limited-edition super-deluxe box set that collects every song ever recorded by Envy (95 songs in total) across 14 vinyl LPs, all remastered for vinyl in 2013. Each record is housed in its own full-color jacket, featuring all new artwork. Also included is a brand new, previously unreleased 100-minute DVD, a DVD data disk packed with all 95 songs in high-quality MP3 format, and a 100-page coffee table book featuring dozens of exclusive photos, plus lyrics to every Envy song, transcribed in both Japanese and English languages. The entire mind-blowing package is housed in a sturdy custom outer box – printed on a custom reflective metallic foil board. Strictly limited to 1,000 copies, Invariable Will is a monument to one of underground music's most enigmatic bands, and a celebration of their unfettered brilliance.

and yes i just ordered the coloured vinyl box set.. I REGRET NOTHING!.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Traded in some stuff tonight and picked up:

IMG_1377_zps2dcb1107.jpg

Portishead - Third
Donna Summer - Greatest Hits Vols. 1+2
Masayoshi Takanaka - Jolly Jive
Yoshitaka Minami - Montage

This early '80s Japanese pop is so great.

DJ88

How much did you pay for the daft punk records?

Was $32 for Homework, but I wanted to get an original 97 pressing in good condition.

And $12 for Da Funk/Musique with the cool little promotion papers that came with it way back then.

Pretty much every record store in the world carries Homework and Discovery in stock. New they're usually around $25.

Yup, those are the re-releases. They can be bought on Amazon too.

Dude—No ...

Neo Member
Okay, so I have just recently started getting into vinyl but I don't really know where to start as far as decent hardware goes. Somebody recommend a pretty great starter turntable, and throw some good receivers, speakers and phonostages my way as well.

BURNING JEALOUSY!! Lucky dog!

The records up on the wall look really great, I'm definitely gonna have to do that, for a few like that.

Got some new stuff in today, including what may be the best colored vinyl I own (and I have quite a few):

Also a rose swirl colored Kadaver album:

Is that "Abra Kadavar"? I ordered my concert ticket before I could get the album. :eek:

Dude—No ...

Neo Member
Dude—No ...;56405480 said:
Okay, so I have just recently started getting into vinyl but I don't really know where to start as far as decent hardware goes. Somebody recommend a pretty great starter turntable, and throw some good receivers, speakers and phonostages my way as well.
1 characters

Really don't want to start a new thread for this.

Dwayne

Dude—No ...;56490316 said:
1 characters

Really don't want to start a new thread for this.

Turntable:
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
Music Hall MMF 2.2
Rega RP-1

Poke around steve hoffman forum for some good information on everything else.

I get most all my non-metal vinyl from Amazon, but I mostly order from allthatisheavy.com since they carry what I like to listen to most.

discogs.com

If you don't find a record there, it doesn't exist.

amazon.com with prime is usually the best best, but not always

compare amazon.com with discogs.com to see what the fair price it for any vinyl

thanks guys!!! need an actual record player/turn table first....then I'm all in for buying some more records, ASAP!!!

STG!

discogs.com

If you don't find a record there, it doesn't exist.

Well, that's not always true: even disregarding one off pressings like acetates, certain genre's still have a long way to go. And it also depends on how deep in you go into collecting. ;)

But it's gotten a lot better over the years, I'll give them that! It's a great site to build a collection with, much easier than years ago with eBay being the main marketplace and the possibility of getting outbid at the 11th hour... Man, screw that. Outside of a few guys who list tunes on discogs at absurd, unrealistic prices, I truly don't miss those eBay days at all.

Erekiddo

Hi all,

I finally got into the vinyl scene with the release of NOFX's box set back in February, and have been hunting down new additions since.

I am currently using an Audio Technica AT-LP60 with an upgraded ATN3600DLX cartridge. Lately, however, I am becoming more and more disappointed with this set. New vinyls, 180 gram, right out of the package, skip! It's maddening.

Can someone please give me recommendations for a complete set that'll cost less than $500?

Edit: I'm looking at the Pro-ject Debut Carbon. It needs a preamp, right? Any suggestions on good ones for this setup?

andylsun

Hi all,

I finally got into the vinyl scene with the release of NOFX's box set back in February, and have been hunting down new additions since.

I am currently using an Audio Technica AT-LP60 with an upgraded ATN3600DLX cartridge. Lately, however, I am becoming more and more disappointed with this set. New vinyls, 180 gram, right out of the package, skip! It's maddening.

Can someone please give me recommendations for a complete set that'll cost less than $500?

Edit: I'm looking at the Pro-ject Debut Carbon. It needs a preamp, right? Any suggestions on good ones for this setup?

Art DJ Pre II is a great Pre amp at a great price. I use mine with my thorens and my technics

RDreamer

I've been using the AT LP-60 for a while and it's just fine for me. I don't experience any skips except on really old records that look like they should most definitely skip.

FLEABttn

Banned
I skipped on half the vinyl I had at the time. It was probably a simple adjustment that could have fixed it, had the thing any adjustments to make.

I have an AT-LP 60 as well. Barely any skips, although I am looking to upgrade to a turntable that has those features. It's a fantastic and cheap entry-level record player that does what its supposed to do: play records. If you love the thing, then upgrade!

I have an AT-LP 60 as well. Barely any skips, although I am looking to upgrade to a turntable that has those features. It's a fantastic and cheap entry-level record player that does what its supposed to do: play records. If you love the thing, then upgrade!

thanks for the advice!! I mean, that is my situation, entry level, not looking to spend a ton....maybe I'll pick it up after all and see how it goes.

RDreamer

Yeah, I'll probably do that pretty soon. When I got this I only had a pretty small-ish record collection, but since it's really ballooned up. It's still sort of a secondary treasure hunting hobby, not really a main thing so I wouldn't love to pay a ton on another one, but something a bit better would be nice.

I really wish that one I saw at Goodwill and showed you guys a while back was in working order, or I knew I could get it to working order. That one looked nice as hell.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My latest acquisitions.

Vinyl cabinetry:

And visited the local record store and dropped ~$190:

Starting from the top, then left to right,

Sunn O))) - Oracle
Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over the Sea
John Mayer Trio - Try!
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Do any of you have game music on vinyl? Outrun might be my favorite game ever, and I have an original 1986 pressing of Sega Game Music Vol.1. Side A is the entire Outrun soundtrack. It's one of my favorite things I own :p

Dwayne

I used to have Rez Vol 1, but I sold it -_-

I've got the Megadrive collection one and have been keeping an eye out for the Dreamcast one. There's ton's of retro arcade ones on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Top Bottom