• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Do any of you have game music on vinyl? Outrun might be my favorite game ever, and I have an original 1986 pressing of Sega Game Music Vol.1. Side A is the entire Outrun soundtrack. It's one of my favorite things I own :p

I have this.

8QrIjGz.jpg

p2yaZHk.jpg

Would have loved the Chaos Theory sound track, but it is a bit too expensive for me right now.

Would have also loved Sleeping Dogs on Vinyl.

FLEABttn

Banned
Do any of you have game music on vinyl? Outrun might be my favorite game ever, and I have an original 1986 pressing of Sega Game Music Vol.1. Side A is the entire Outrun soundtrack. It's one of my favorite things I own :p

I have the Shatter soundtrack on vinyl. #29/1000. It's a pretty shade of blue.

I would kill for the ikaruga soundtrack on vinyl. unfortunately, i don't think it exists.

spectros4

Neo Member
I found a setup to play vinyl in my parents basement. There's a stereo receiver, speakers, and a Pioneer PL 514 auto return record player. The only problem is that the player has no needle. How much would that set me back?

The player itself has four cables coming out of the back. One for power, left and right audio, and one silver metal one in the shape of a U. I'm assuming the last one is to connect to an amp? The stereo receiver has places for that metal U, and one specifically labeled with the omega symbol which is for an amp connector?

So jealous. Outrun music is my jam.

BoatAck

My friend has that Final Fantasy vinyls set that came out last year. It's pretty cool. I just have Halo, RF Armagedon, and Bioshock 2 soundtracks on vinyl. I wish more game music was released on vinyl.

My latest acquisitions.

Vinyl cabinetry:

And visited the local record store and dropped ~$190:

Starting from the top, then left to right,

Sunn O))) - Oracle
Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over the Sea
John Mayer Trio - Try!
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

I wonder what's the percentage of people owning a turntable who put Charles Mingus' Ah Um on display. I'm thinking about 72%.
I do too

How's that Beatles collection ? I'm regularly on the verge of buying it and then I think 'no I don't want to have to rebuy the mono records when they inevitably put them out.'

Although to be honest I'm not even sure I will actually hear that much of a difference with my setup.

JLG-

I found a setup to play vinyl in my parents basement. There's a stereo receiver, speakers, and a Pioneer PL 514 auto return record player. The only problem is that the player has no needle. How much would that set me back?

The player itself has four cables coming out of the back. One for power, left and right audio, and one silver metal one in the shape of a U. I'm assuming the last one is to connect to an amp? The stereo receiver has places for that metal U, and one specifically labeled with the omega symbol which is for an amp connector?

That metal shaped "u" is the ground wire.

Like JLG- said, that U is the groundwire. There should be a screw behind the amp where you can screw it on. If not, stick it to some surface that conducts electricity. It's also very important that it is connected to reduce noise, pops and whatnot.

I am using a Pioneer PL 540 and I love it. PL 514 looks pretty good too, totally worth it for a new needle.

andylsun

So jealous. Outrun music is my jam.

New needle for your existing cartridge would depend on the cart. Brand new stylus and cart can be as low as $20 or the sky is the limit.

For something to get you up and running, a Red Ed elliptical stylus and cart is a good start.

Can you post a pic of the headshell and cartridge.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I'm assuming that's the headshell and cartridge. There's just no needle underneath it.

That's just a headshell (the part that screws in to the arm)

hN20wwS.jpg

Here's a headshell with cartridge so you can see how it fits together. The "needle" aka stylus is the little white part in the front. Buy a new cartridge and it will come with a needle. When you need to replace the needle, you can just buy a new stylus. You can also buy cartridges premounted on headshells if you don't want to bother with. ANDDDDDD you can even buy integrated headshells and just screw it in to the arm:

cLTnVRY.jpg

Ricker

I still have my old Thorens turntable...obviously the needle on it is probably done by now(havent touched it since CD's started)...wondering how much they are worth now,if I can even find one...I have about 100 LP's left I think...

FnordChan

That Sega Game Music LP sounds incredibly sweet. Meanwhile, the only game music vinyl I have is Photek's "The Third Sequence"/"Titan" 12" from the Wipeout XL soundtrack. I haven't dusted this off in a while, but your question has encouraged me to dig it up. Thanks!

FnordChan

spectros4

Neo Member
That's just a headshell (the part that screws in to the arm)

Here's a headshell with cartridge so you can see how it fits together. The "needle" aka stylus is the little white part in the front. Buy a new cartridge and it will come with a needle. When you need to replace the needle, you can just buy a new stylus. You can also buy cartridges premounted on headshells if you don't want to bother with. ANDDDDDD you can even buy integrated headshells and just screw it in to the arm:
I detached the headshell, which does have a cartridge. So I should just get a new stylus? What would be compatible with this?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I wonder what's the percentage of people owning a turntable who put Charles Mingus' Ah Um on display. I'm thinking about 72%.
I do too

How's that Beatles collection ? I'm regularly on the verge of buying it and then I think 'no I don't want to have to rebuy the mono records when they inevitably put them out.'

Although to be honest I'm not even sure I will actually hear that much of a difference with my setup.

You know, oddly enough, Mingus Ah Um was what I was playing when I got all that cabinetry finished! There's something else there now hehe. Although, it does make a perfect display, so maybe I'll just put it back and leave it there. It's one of my favorite albums of all time, and each time I listen to it I get new appreciation. I've had the SA-CD for years, and only now got the LP, which is an old pressing I found in a used record store.

The Beatles, yeah I almost held out for the mono pressings, but after reading about it, I ultimately decided to just go ahead and get this set and be done with it. It sounds fan-fucking-tastic and you just can't go wrong getting it, in my opinion. Maybe one day I'll try out the monos and see what I think.

In other news, my latest buys, all import color vinyls:

Orchid - In the Mouths of Madness

Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend

Uncle Acid - Mind Control

Erekiddo

someone replied to you on the last page
i'm getting a bugle2 for my setup. hagerman has them up for preorder for non-kickstarter backers now on his site.

Wow, I'm sorry, I didn't even see his reply.

Checking out his submission plus yours. Thank you. :)

I've been looking into getting a record cleaning machine, but I'm not ready to drop the cash for some of the $500-$1,000 machines. There are two machines that I've found for under $250. I just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with either.

It's either a KAB EV-1 for $150...

kab_ev1_500.jpg

...or a Record Doctor V for $200

RDV_1.jpg

Help me decide, VinylGAF!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I don't have a comment on either of those cleaners, but I can give two thumbs up to the one I went with, which is a manual cleaner. Takes all of 2 minutes to spin the thing around a few times, then wipe it off. I've had some crazy dirty vinyl that I'd gotten from used record stores and such, and they come out the other side of this pristine.

andylsun

I detached the headshell, which does have a cartridge. So I should just get a new stylus? What would be compatible with this?

Empire xl15-31c cartridge. Lptunes has a stylus for $34. Are you in the USA or elsewhere?

I'd probably go for the stylus at that price. Cartridges are pretty resilient and unlikely to be faulty themselves

Erekiddo

I don't have a comment on either of those cleaners, but I can give two thumbs up to the one I went with, which is a manual cleaner. Takes all of 2 minutes to spin the thing around a few times, then wipe it off. I've had some crazy dirty vinyl that I'd gotten from used record stores and such, and they come out the other side of this pristine.

I can also vouch for this. I've been picking up some records from the '60s that were in serious need of care. One spin through this thing, and they came out looking flawless.

Hey all, I'm new to this thread and just got back into vinyl after a bit of a hiatus. Ffinally found a gf that supports my habit. She's my wife now :). I found this beauty at a thrift store for $35 bucks.

It works and sounds great. Has that awesome old tube sound. The only thing it needs is a needle. I'm at my wits end trying to find one. Any suggestions? It's an old Wards Airline. All I can find online are service manuals.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hey all, I'm new to this thread and just got back into vinyl after a bit of a hiatus. Ffinally found a gf that supports my habit. She's my wife now :). I found this beauty at a thrift store for $35 bucks.

It works and sounds great. Has that awesome old tube sound. The only thing it needs is a needle. I'm at my wits end trying to find one. Any suggestions? It's an old Wards Airline. All I can find online are service manuals.

That thing is fucking awesome! Sorry, I don't know how to help with finding a needle to fit it :(

Both of the cleaners I posted are manual, which is why they are so cheap compared to other record cleaners. The difference between these and a Spin Clean are these units both have a vacuum, so there's no need to air dry the records after cleaning.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Both of the cleaners I posted are manual, which is why they are so cheap compared to other record cleaners. The difference between these and a Spin Clean are these units both have a vacuum, so there's no need to air dry the records after cleaning.

Ahh, sorry they looked like auto-cleaners. In that case, I'd probably go with the one with higher reviews/cheapest. The one like I have, sans vacuum, you just use the included cloths to wipe them off. I've got my whole system down now, and can do an entire record from dirty to spotless and dry inside a minute. The only downside is that you eventually run out of dry cloth to use and have to stop, but by that time I've gone through 25-30 records and am ready to stop anyway.

Someday I think I'll invest in an auto-cleaner but at this rate (I don't clean much at a time) I'll probably just stick with what I have.

amnesiac

Owners of Tame Impala's Lonerism: Does your copy skip? Record 2 of mine has a dent in it which makes Feels Like We Only Go Backwards skip :(

Also, just preordered the new National and Daft Punk LPs, pretty excited.

spadge

The only one I own so far is this:

Getting that Persona 4 vinyl on friday, and and My M.O.O.N. EP should ship eventually.
There's that Anamanaguchi kickstarter going on, too.

andylsun

Can you take some close up pics of the TT and headshell? The TT may be made by someone else (e.g. Garrard) and the headshell could have a mono, stereo or 78 cart

What amp is present?

I don't know if my wife will let me haul something like that home, but if I find one I will and hide it in the basement

swoon

Can you take some close up pics of the TT and headshell? The TT may be made by someone else (e.g. Garrard) and the headshell could have a mono, stereo or 78 cart

What amp is present?

I don't know if my wife will let me haul something like that home, but if I find one I will and hide it in the basement

yea take some pictures and get the model number.

http://stores.ebay.com/carolesneedles?refid=store&sspagename=domain

i buy from her a lot for console turntables, she's nice and might be able to help you out further if you don't see one for sale immediately.

andylsun

Here's an album of a few more pics...hope I got the relevant parts.

http://minus.com/mW5QblwguEJhj

Is the number on the side of the cart 50588?

Turntable needles has a list of Admiral flip styluses for Ward Airlines consoles but I don't see that number there.

Flip styluses have both 78rpm and LP styluses on the same cantilever. 78's use a much wider groove and need a different stylus.

Edit: picked up a really clean late 70's copy of Led Zep IV at a yard sale for $1. Rocking out to it now. It's a George Piros pressing so nice and dynamic.

Top Bottom