• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
found these two at the record shop today

photo2ohusc.jpg

photo1vtuxd.jpg

and this came in the mail

photoeiug1.jpg

Dwayne

Pickups for today :D Went to my fav opshop, an hour before close and went to where the records are, there was already a lady there and she'd pulled a bunch out, and then some guy started hovering over the CD's stored directly above them. I waited for ages, poking around in the books trying to see what she had. Luckily she had nothing of note, and he didn't care to look at the vinyls. I burst over and flicked through, pulled the Pink Floyd, Boz Scaggs and Led Zeppelin at $4 each, but the lady at the counter charged me $1 each for them :D They're far from good condition, but they play ok and that'll do for the time being. KC and Bo Hansson I paid dearly for at the record store, probably would have brought some more but the entire place was packed as they had a band playing, I only got to look in a few bins.

1uMlTZU.jpg

Ianm4HE.jpg

I got black, but they also fucked up my order and ran out of my original pink that i ordered.

It was supposed to be pink? That would been cool, first 1000 copies

It's on amazon right now (regular black) for $30 but $17 on best buy but doesn't ship till end of next month, I don't mind waiting a month

wenis

Picked these four up today:

Deerhunter - Microcastle / Weird Era Cont.
Various - Jean-Luc Godard - Bandes Originales 1959-1980
Jimi Hendrix Experience, The - Axis: Bold As Love
Tom Tom Club - Tom Tom Club

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Pickups for today :D Went to my fav opshop, an hour before close and went to where the records are, there was already a lady there and she'd pulled a bunch out, and then some guy started hovering over the CD's stored directly above them. I waited for ages, poking around in the books trying to see what she had. Luckily she had nothing of note, and he didn't care to look at the vinyls. I burst over and flicked through, pulled the Pink Floyd, Boz Scaggs and Led Zeppelin at $4 each, but the lady at the counter charged me $1 each for them :D They're far from good condition, but they play ok and that'll do for the time being. KC and Bo Hansson I paid dearly for at the record store, probably would have brought some more but the entire place was packed as they had a band playing, I only got to look in a few bins.

1uMlTZU.jpg

Ianm4HE.jpg

Major props for Boz Scaggs!

Edit: My haul from this week

Moss - Horrible Night (import)

(from top left to right)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada
Atoms for Peace - Amok
The Flaming Lips - The Terror
Iron Maiden - 7th Son limited picture disc

Major props for Boz Scaggs!

Edit: My haul from this week

Moss - Horrible Night (import)

(from top left to right)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada
Atoms for Peace - Amok
The Flaming Lips - The Terror
Iron Maiden - 7th Son limited picture disc

Oh, Moss are freaking amazing! Saw them live at Roadburn and it was one of the highlights. Listening to Horrible Night and their previous album A LOT lately.

What's the negative aspect of leaving records in the plastic sleeve? I came across this in the comment section a few times on YouTube crate diggers

What's the negative aspect of leaving records in the plastic sleeve? I came across this in the comment section a few times on YouTube crate diggers
Are you talking about the shrinkwrap they come in? If so, there's a chance it can warp the record due to it being too tight. I've also heard stories of records with the shrinkwrap left on and it becoming bonded to the jacket.

Are you talking about the shrinkwrap they come in? If so, there's a chance it can warp the record due to it being too tight. I've also heard stories of records with the shrinkwrap left on and it becoming bonded to the jacket.

No, the 10 cent clear sleeves you put vinyl in. I personally remove the shrink wrap whenever I get a vinyl and just put it in a sleeve, I thought that was ok to do

ngower

So the debut carbon is going to cost me $400, what's the best amp and speakers I can get for another $500 to complete the setup?

If you find some deals you could get an NAD C316BEE and a pair of PSB Alpha B1's. Brand new you'd expect to spend something like $650 for both.

The resealable ones are so called japanese outer sleeves and they suck ass: if you get one, replace it with a normal sleeve and throw the resealable one to your worst enemys face.

wenis

Re-sealable will just of course seal in the moisture and if its an older record the dirt and grime in there will mix up with the moisture and wreck your shit. Sealable is only good for shipping. Let those records breathe when they're in your home.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Yep, don't use sealable sleeves folks. Get the 3 or 4 mil open-topped sleeves.

Incidentally, I also replace almost all my inner sleeves with these here.

I say almost all because some inner sleeves aren't the feature-less paper ones and deserve to be kept, though if the record will fit back into the package next to it, I'll replace it and keep it next to the vinyl.

omgkitty

Various - Jean-Luc Godard - Bandes Originales 1959-1980

Called my local record store about this yesterday to ask them to save it for me and it literally sold out minutes before I called them. Then they told me it was a limited run of only 500 and that they couldn't order any more. Luckily I found someone selling a copy on discogs for $25, so hopefully that should be here tomorrow.

wenis

Yep, don't use sealable sleeves folks. Get the 3 or 4 mil open-topped sleeves.

Incidentally, I also replace almost all my inner sleeves with these here.

I say almost all because some inner sleeves aren't the feature-less paper ones and deserve to be kept, though if the record will fit back into the package next to it, I'll replace it and keep it next to the vinyl.

ooooh, these are nice. Might have to pick some up for my most favorite records. which style packaging did these not work too well with?

Called my local record store about this yesterday to ask them to save it for me and it literally sold out minutes before I called them. Then they told me it was a limited run of only 500 and that they couldn't order any more. Luckily I found someone selling a copy on discogs for $25, so hopefully that should be here tomorrow.

Dude I just walked into Amoeba and saw it with like 5 other copies behind it. I think the release was pretty under the radar. I didn't know what it was, but had to see because of Anna Karina and then when I flipped it over I just knew I had to buy it. $25 ain't bad though, for a first and final print and the construction on it is great and it sounds beautiful.

Are from the UK? because I've asked around and they say that it hasn't been released in the US yet

Nope. I ordered it back in October and it only came in recently because I guess they finally got all my emails with my complaints. So I'm not sure why it can't be found in US stores right now. Although I swear I saw it Rasputin not too long ago.

I went to my new favorite record shop (which happens to be mainly a book store) and snagged these two

photo1n1u1v.jpg

Crystal Antlers - Tentacles

photo25u7d.jpg

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

I actually found SoS for 10 bucks cheaper than it goes for everywhere else in the city. That was fucking crazy to me.

and they also had a copy of Talking Heads - Remain in Light, but it was the shoddy Rhino remaster. Guh, so disappointed.

I just started collecting vinyls and my dad gave me all of his old records. His old record player was lost long ago in a flood so I'm looking to get one for my home. My wife is looking for one for me too but we're not sure what to get. We want to hook it up to our current sound system (Denon 1712 receiver, a set of B&W 686s and a Martin Logan Dynamo 300).

Any suggestions? Should I have to buy anything else outside of the turntable?

amnesiac

I just started collecting vinyls and my dad gave me all of his old records. His old record player was lost long ago in a flood so I'm looking to get one for my home. My wife is looking for one for me too but we're not sure what to get. We want to hook it up to our current sound system (Denon 1712 receiver, a set of B&W 686s and a Martin Logan Dynamo 300).

Any suggestions? Should I have to buy anything else outside of the turntable?

If you are really serious about audio quality, you should get a phono preamp

amnesiac

I am big on audio but since I'm just graduating from college, I can't afford to go all out. I want to start with the basics and work my way up.

I see. Well the only thing that I would think is necessary besides the turntable and the stereo setup is a record brush. Dust can be your worst enemy.

Dwayne

I am big on audio but since I'm just graduating from college, I can't afford to go all out. I want to start with the basics and work my way up.

Your reciever doesn't appear to have a phono input, so you'll either need to get a phono preamp or get a record player with one built in. What's your budget?

Your reciever doesn't appear to have a phono input, so you'll either need to get a phono preamp or get a record player with one built in. What's your budget?

Drats! So does that mean I won't be able to use my current setup even with a phono preamp? (I'm sorry. I have a lack of knowledge with audio equipment)

(edit): I just realize I can hook up the Phono preamp to the receiver)

My budget is $200-$300

omgkitty

Dude I just walked into Amoeba and saw it with like 5 other copies behind it. I think the release was pretty under the radar. I didn't know what it was, but had to see because of Anna Karina and then when I flipped it over I just knew I had to buy it. $25 ain't bad though, for a first and final print and the construction on it is great and it sounds beautiful.

Well my store tweeted a picture of it, and I think that's what made some people realize what it was (it's how I originally found out about it). I was really annoyed at the time, but I'm just glad I got it.

Has anyone who ordered the MOON EP heard anything about shipping? He said he'd ship out the beginning of May, but then he moved to LA a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything about them.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
ooooh, these are nice. Might have to pick some up for my most favorite records. which style packaging did these not work too well with?

Really they fit most anything just fine, the only problem I had was when I wanted to put a record into one of these, but also to keep the existing record sleeve, because it had lyrics on it, or whatever. Makes for a tight fit.

Otherwise, they're great!

FnordChan

Has anyone who ordered the MOON EP heard anything about shipping? He said he'd ship out the beginning of May, but then he moved to LA a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything about them.

I have heard exactly zilch and was kinda wondering about that myself.

Meanwhile, I recently got happy on Discogs and imported a bunch of Italo Disco 12" singles from German. I'll post pics when they arrive, if only to try to help justify the cost by sharing with NeoGAF.

FnordChan

omgkitty

I have heard exactly zilch and was kinda wondering about that myself.

Meanwhile, I recently got happy on Discogs and imported a bunch of Italo Disco 12" singles from German. I'll post pics when they arrive, if only to try to help justify the cost by sharing with NeoGAF.

FnordChan

I can't justify the cost for any of my purchases as I still don't own a record player :S

FnordChan

I can't justify the cost for any of my purchases as I still don't own a record player :S

It's okay to collect media for a player you plan on buying so long as you buy it eventually. Don't be like my friend who imported a bunch of anime LDs in the mid-90s and never got a laserdisc player! The next time you're about to buy a poster, maybe consider picking up a turntable instead.

Or not. Far be it from me to discourage anyone from buying totally awesome Akira posters.

FnordChan

Parch

Considering the possible warp damage from shrinkwrap, it's a bit silly that collectors will only consider an LP "mint" if it's still in the shrinkwrap. Remove the wrap and it's considered "near mint" and half the price.

I have a shelf full of rock from the 70's and 80's and kept them in outstanding condition. Most have been played only once or twice for recording and then carefully stored for decades. But silly me, I put my initials in ink on one corner of the back cover. It's barely noticeable and other than that the album is pristine, but a so-called "collector" tells me they're now considered a downgrade to "very fine" so I'll give you 50 cents for it. Yeah, how about you piss off you asshole.

It's a crazy market. Sometimes ridiculously overpriced, but sometimes people expect everything for free.

Considering the possible warp damage from shrinkwrap, it's a bit silly that collectors will only consider an LP "mint" if it's still in the shrinkwrap. Remove the wrap and it's considered "near mint" and half the price.

I have a shelf full of rock from the 70's and 80's and kept them in outstanding condition. Most have been played only once or twice for recording and then carefully stored for decades. But silly me, I put my initials in ink on one corner of the back cover. It's barely noticeable and other than that the album is pristine, but a so-called "collector" tells me they're now considered a downgrade to "very fine" so I'll give you 50 cents for it. Yeah, how about you piss off you asshole.

It's a crazy market. Sometimes ridiculously overpriced, but sometimes people expect everything for free.

I've actually wondered about this very point, the removal of shrink wrap to avoiding warping but the record and sleeve still in perfect condition and value takes a nose dive

I'm not into selling anything I have so it doesn't bother me

xJavonta

Banned
I was told that vinyl sounds better than digital so I had my friend's brother put play some vinyl for me. The second he put that needle down all I heard was crackling shit that sounded like a 128 Kbps stream. Did he just have shitty equipment?

I was told that vinyl sounds better than digital so I had my friend's brother put play some vinyl for me. The second he put that needle down all I heard was crackling shit that sounded like a 128 Kbps stream. Did he just have shitty equipment?

Sounds like bad equipment

Edit: could be numerous things

wenis

numerous factors play into how we listen to vinyl and the quality.

- the equipment quality
- is it virgin vinyl?
- has the record been cleaned before play? has it been cleaned at all?
- how does the owner handle their records?
- what is the quality of the vinyl itself? weight?
- what was the source master for the pressing? digital or analog?

all of those play into the overall quality.

BeeDog

Is there a semi-decent way of flattening slightly warped vinyls without using any heating solutions? One somewhat rare vinyl appeared in the mail today, and I'd rather take a safe approach. One thought I had was to put it inbetween a pretty heavy glass pane I have and the table the glass pane lies on, so as to get a bit "squished" inbetween.

On the other hand, this vinyl plays perfectly fine despite being a little bit uneven, so maybe I should just leave it alone?

Top Bottom