• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

xJavonta

Banned
Sounds like bad equipment

Edit: could be numerous things
Idk. He got the player from his mom who has had it since she was a teenager so maybe it's just worn out.

numerous factors play into how we listen to vinyl and the quality.

- the equipment quality
- is it virgin vinyl?
- has the record been cleaned before play? has it been cleaned at all?
- how does the owner handle their records?
- what is the quality of the vinyl itself? weight?
- what was the source master for the pressing? digital or analog?

all of those play into the overall quality.
I honestly couldn't tell you. I've been looking to start collecting them though but figured "what's the point if it sounds like shit" I'm not sure about it anymore.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
It doesn't sound better, just different. If the first thing you heard was a bunch of loud crackling it was probably just an old shitty record that wasn't cared for.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is there a semi-decent way of flattening slightly warped vinyls without using any heating solutions? One somewhat rare vinyl appeared in the mail today, and I'd rather take a safe approach. One thought I had was to put it inbetween a pretty heavy glass pane I have and the table the glass pane lies on, so as to get a bit "squished" inbetween.

On the other hand, this vinyl plays perfectly fine despite being a little bit uneven, so maybe I should just leave it alone?

Besides heating yeah, just even weight on both sides and leave it for a half a day or day. Also just keeping it shelved with other records in a slightly tights spot (as long as youre not struggling to remove it that'll be fine), it'll flatten next to each other.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I've been looking to start collecting them though but figured "what's the point if it sounds like shit" I'm not sure about it anymore.

don't take away the wrong impression from that experience. LP collecting is definitely a hobby you'll want to put some time and effort into learning and researching. As much as the factors that I put in an earlier post do matter, the overall care and maintenance isn't really much to think about. It just becomes routine and your records will sound great as long as the most basic care is taken.

so is the drive soundtrack hard to find

Well not really, depending how much you are willing to pay.

Any decent sub 100 players out there?

Yes, scourge fleamarkets, Salvation Armys, yardsales and whatnot for older hifi turntables like Dual, Marantz, Thorens, Pioneers, Technics and so on. Rules of thumb: if it weights a ton, looks good, works and maybe even has a positive comments in the interweb, it most likely is a good buy.

Erekiddo

This is the setup I settled on, and is currently on its way.

x252DBTCFGR-o_nocover.jpeg
Pro-ject Carbon Debut

Music Hall PA1.2 MM/MC

Infinity Primus p163 x 2

Now it hasn't come yet, so I haven't experimented with hooking it up yet - but I wanted to give myself time to obtain the parts/connections I need. Will I be able to hook up the speakers to the preamp using Y Audio splitters, or will I need another piece of equipment?

Now it hasn't come yet, so I haven't experimented with hooking it up yet - but I wanted to give myself time to obtain the parts/connections I need. Will I be able to hook up the speakers to the preamp using Y Audio splitters, or will I need another piece of equipment?

You'll need some sort of amp, or anything with AUX input at least.

Erekiddo

Any recommendations on decent priced amps?

I currently use a Sony HT-CT150 receiver/soundbar for my gaming systems .. I'm curious if I could plug the preamp into that.

Any recommendations on decent priced amps?

Yes, scourge fleamarkets, Salvation Armys, yardsales and whatnot for older hifi amps like NAD, Marantz, Sony, Pioneers, Technics and so on. Rules of thumb: if it weights a ton, looks good, works and maybe even has a positive comments in the interweb, it most likely is a good buy.

(heh)

This is the setup I settled on, and is currently on its way.

Pro-ject Carbon Debut

Music Hall PA1.2 MM/MC

Infinity Primus p163 x 2

I'm getting the same record player in a few weeks but still undecided on amp and speakers, let me know how that setup sounds

Erekiddo

Yes, scourge fleamarkets, Salvation Armys, yardsales and whatnot for older hifi amps like NAD, Marantz, Sony, Pioneers, Technics and so on. Rules of thumb: if it weights a ton, looks good, works and maybe even has a positive comments in the interweb, it most likely is a good buy.

(heh)

Thanks!

Looks like I'm learning toward a Marantz PM5004.

Scalibur

Anybody pre-order the limited edition? $250 is a lot of cheddar. Probably not meant to be played.

Text from TMR site: "Metallized vinyl records come housed in an entirely unique laser-cut wooden LP jacket, riveted to aluminum spines. All of these elements (gold, platinum, aluminum, wood and brass) showcase the Art Deco-meets-modern style, classic meets cutting edge, which is the essence of The Great Gatsby film and Third Man Records."

OvvNqJ7.jpg

http://youtu.be/BWOtFqcg7vg

Anybody pre-order the limited edition? $250 is a lot of cheddar. Probably not meant to be played.

Text from TMR site: "Metallized vinyl records come housed in an entirely unique laser-cut wooden LP jacket, riveted to aluminum spines. All of these elements (gold, platinum, aluminum, wood and brass) showcase the Art Deco-meets-modern style, classic meets cutting edge, which is the essence of The Great Gatsby film and Third Man Records."

OvvNqJ7.jpg

http://youtu.be/BWOtFqcg7vg

if the soundtrack wasn't shit I'd be tempted to pick up the non limited edition, and yeah, the LE seems to be more for display

nitewulf

Is there a semi-decent way of flattening slightly warped vinyls without using any heating solutions? One somewhat rare vinyl appeared in the mail today, and I'd rather take a safe approach. One thought I had was to put it inbetween a pretty heavy glass pane I have and the table the glass pane lies on, so as to get a bit "squished" inbetween.

On the other hand, this vinyl plays perfectly fine despite being a little bit uneven, so maybe I should just leave it alone?

leave it alone. i have a copy of Janis Joplin's Pearl which is warped to shit...but it plays perfect. unless you are an anal retentive ass, you wouldn't hear the pitch differences.

Flo_Evans

Need new main speakers.

I went to the last remaining independent stereo stores... I need more money.

I have doubled my budget, looking at $1000/pair speakers now lol.

option 1: PSB T5.

I have not been able to track these down in person, from what people have said they are similar to paradigms (Canadian).

option 2: Focal Chorus 716.

I listened to these in person, very nice. Actually made in france not china. Bright sound.

option 3: B&W 684.

ah yeah. Smooth. I like these but something in the back of my mind tells me it is marketing hype and kevlar. They sound very pleasant but I am not sure if they are really as "good" as the other choices. I don't want to say bose... but they seem to have a large marketing budget. MSRP price controls mean it is nearly impossible to get them at a discount, kind of further souring my impression.

Really anything in this class is a step up for me though and way better than what I have. I think its down to preference and aesthetics at this point.

I am also thinking of upgrading my receiver/amp but that will probably have to come later.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
All three of those are good speaker choices. Buying speakers is so subjective, and you are doing it the right way, i.e. going to local shops and listening. You also do indeed reach a price point where sound quality equalizes to some extent and you move to aesthetics, build quality, and other more esoteric features.

I've always been a B&W fan (currently using 805 Diamonds, and even with how much they cost, they're still the weak link in my system considering the level of turntable I have), but they are overpriced for what you get. At the same time, I'm supporting an independent local shop, and trust me, you don't have to pay MSRP most of the time. Just ask! The mark-up is so high on most $1000+ speakers that even the local shops will knock a bit off it if you are a serious buyer. All they can say is "no".

I never got a chance to demo Focal's locally, but I hear good things. Same for PSB.

Flo_Evans

All three of those are good speaker choices. Buying speakers is so subjective, and you are doing it the right way, i.e. going to local shops and listening. You also do indeed reach a price point where sound quality equalizes to some extent and you move to aesthetics, build quality, and other more esoteric features.

I've always been a B&W fan (currently using 805 Diamonds, and even with how much they cost, they're still the weak link in my system considering the level of turntable I have), but they are overpriced for what you get. At the same time, I'm supporting an independent local shop, and trust me, you don't have to pay MSRP most of the time. Just ask! The mark-up is so high on most $1000+ speakers that even the local shops will knock a bit off it if you are a serious buyer. All they can say is "no".

I never got a chance to demo Focal's locally, but I hear good things. Same for PSB.

I didn't dare listen to those... The sales guy tried to upsell me on the CM bookshelf series, they where very nice but for my application I don't think they would work as well, I wanted at least a respectable amount of bass without having to add a separate sub.

My old set of speakers where DCM KX10 "house party" bangers that I ran in the living room, I need something that can fill it out the space effectively. With kids I rarely have the time to just sit in front of my system anymore and listen critically.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I didn't dare listen to those... The sales guy tried to upsell me on the CM bookshelf series, they where very nice but for my application I don't think they would work as well, I wanted at least a respectable amount of bass without having to add a separate sub.

My old set of speakers where DCM KX10 "house party" bangers that I ran in the living room, I need something that can fill it out the space effectively. With kids I rarely have the time to just sit in front of my system anymore and listen critically.

Well, any B&W is going to have fantastic imaging, filling up space pretty well. The 805's do, sounds like fucking surround sound when in stereo. Of the ones you listed, I'd take a hard look at the Focals. If there's any dealers in your area, try out Polk, Monitor Audio, Dynaudio (they make fucking KILLER speakers, and I think they have a sub-$1k pair) and perhaps Energy and/or Paradigm.

In other news, recent pickups:

JLG-

Was 36 Chambers from a 3rd-party?

edit: lol it's in stock WTF?

I thought I had an order pending restock. Must have canceled it lol

Yeah it was instock. I actually got 2 copies because the first one they sent got damaged in the mail. The cover art was all wrinkled up and the record was slightly warped. I emailed amazon and they sent me another copy free of charge, shipped to me in 1 day.

Erekiddo

[Stuff is still being shipped, so I haven't had a chance to experiment - I just want to make sure I'm getting the right things]

I ended up purchasing a Marantz PM5004 integrated amplifier, but realized there's no sub output on it. How would I go about hooking up a subwoofer to this? Any good subwoofer recommendations?

Setup... almost.. complete.

I listened to these in person, very nice. Actually made in france not china. Bright sound.

ah yeah. Smooth. I like these but something in the back of my mind tells me it is marketing hype and kevlar. They sound very pleasant but I am not sure if they are really as "good" as the other choices. I don't want to say bose... but they seem to have a large marketing budget. MSRP price controls mean it is nearly impossible to get them at a discount, kind of further souring my impression.

Really anything in this class is a step up for me though and way better than what I have. I think its down to preference and aesthetics at this point.

I am also thinking of upgrading my receiver/amp but that will probably have to come later.

I've been a B&W fan for a while and would say the 683's are pretty decent for the money. I actually prefer the Paradigms im using for my music stereo setup. The B&W's I have are my 5.1 home theater set up and its true that B&W's have that bright sound.

I may go back to Paradigm or try some Dynaudios. Either way you really can't go wrong with those 3 choices you've listed.

Flo_Evans

[Stuff is still being shipped, so I haven't had a chance to experiment - I just want to make sure I'm getting the right things]

I ended up purchasing a Marantz PM5004 integrated amplifier, but realized there's no sub output on it. How would I go about hooking up a subwoofer to this? Any good subwoofer recommendations?

Setup... almost.. complete.

Most subs will have a speaker level input, you should be able to wire it to B channel. Or use the REC outs, depends on your sub. The problem with REC outs is they are not volume controlled, so you would have to set the level of the sub whenever you changed the volume. Some will have speaker level in/outs so you can run the A channel to the sub, then the outs to the speakers, this is usually the "best" because the crossover in the sub only sends the high frequency to the speakers so there is no overlap.

What's GAF opinion on the marantz pm5004 amp?

I was considering that exact one for my 2ch setup, but ended up with a Rotel unit instead to match my Rotel amp and CD player. I havent read anything bad about it. I've got a Marantz AV8003 pre/pro for my 5.1 setup and never had a problem with. Same era and family as that Marantz PM5004.

Flo_Evans

What's GAF opinion on the marantz pm5004 amp?

I was considering this one too.

Seems great on paper, my only concern with an integrated amp is my silly wife that like to listen to FM radio... seems no one really makes separate tuners anymore so I might have to get another stereo receiver.

I was also looking at NAD amps but it seems none of them have a built in phono stage, might be better sonically but I need to keep the system as simple and wife proof as possible.

I really like my current onkyo receiver, I might stick with them as it has never let me down.

looking at the Onkyo A-5VL. Phono stage, and a 24-bit DAC. But of course no tuner.

I was considering that exact one for my 2ch setup, but ended up with a Rotel unit instead to match my Rotel amp and CD player. I havent read anything bad about it. I've got a Marantz AV8003 pre/pro for my 5.1 setup and never had a problem with. Same era and family as that Marantz PM5004.

I was considering this one too.

Seems great on paper, my only concern with an integrated amp is my silly wife that like to listen to FM radio... seems no one really makes separate tuners anymore so I might have to get another stereo receiver.

I was also looking at NAD amps but it seems none of them have a built in phono stage, might be better sonically but I need to keep the system as simple and wife proof as possible.

I really like my current onkyo receiver, I might stick with them as it has never let me down.

looking at the Onkyo A-5VL. Phono stage, and a 24-bit DAC. But of course no tuner.

I'm 100% set on project carbon ($399.99), will the two be a good fit?

Erekiddo

Most subs will have a speaker level input, you should be able to wire it to B channel. Or use the REC outs, depends on your sub. The problem with REC outs is they are not volume controlled, so you would have to set the level of the sub whenever you changed the volume. Some will have speaker level in/outs so you can run the A channel to the sub, then the outs to the speakers, this is usually the "best" because the crossover in the sub only sends the high frequency to the speakers so there is no overlap.

I had a hunch this would be the way to do it. Do you have any sub recommendations that would pull this off?

Flo_Evans

I'm 100% set on project carbon ($399.99), will the two be a good fit?

I think so, I heard that table on my last trip to the store and it was very nice. I think stylus choice has more to do with a tables sound than anything. From all accounts the marantz amp is "warm" and is a good match for speakers that are more on the flat side.

The system I listened to it on was a rotel seperate pre and power amp + the B&W's

It's a solid deck, I think any problems or fine tuning could be done with different stylus'.

I had a hunch this would be the way to do it. Do you have any sub recommendations that would pull this off?

No. Sorry the only real experience I have with subs is the Polk 12" that I got as part of my home theatre setup. As I am sitting here slightly buzzed I am contemplating getting it out of the basement and trying it with the Polk monitor 50s from my HT system that are standing in until I decide what to get for my system. Slightly buzzed the polks sound pretty good on thier own though, 2nd guessing myself if I need new speakers or not now.

2 kids really cuts into your home theatre and record listening to time man... :p

Cross post from Recent Purchases thread... ignore the CD ;)

Clockwise, L to R: Django Unchained OST, Bibio - Silver Wilkinson, Daft Punk - Random Access Memories LP

ISP9PS4.jpg

Nice pick ups, did you get the free helmet with RAM? A store near had a sign it came with the purchase

I think so, I heard that table on my last trip to the store and it was very nice. I think stylus choice has more to do with a tables sound than anything. From all accounts the marantz amp is "warm" and is a good match for speakers that are more on the flat side.

The system I listened to it on was a rotel seperate pre and power amp + the B&W's

It's a solid deck, I think any problems or fine tuning could be done with different stylus'.

Also could I hook up my Harman Kardon SoundSticks III 2.1 Channel Sound System speakers to the marantz pm5004 amp? Just for a temporary sound while I search for proper speakers

Ban Puncher

After to listening to a bunch of different speakers (which is the best way to do it, yo) I picked up a pair of the B&W 683 last year and they are hands down the best set of fronts I've ever owned. I found the 684's weren't quite punchy enough but the 683's deliver and then some.

As the old rule dictates, spend more of your budget on your speakers rather than the receiver. Amps come and go every 5/10 years both quality and technology wise but good quality speakers can see you out for at least a couple of decades.

Plus if you go B&W you can be all like "can your speakers deflect bullets?" to your friends when they come over until they either buy a set or stop coming around altogether.

On a related note, I'm finding myself choosing between an upgraded Performance Pack Rega RP1 or paying more and going the RP3. Listened to the Pro-ject Debut and one other (Carbon I think?) but I ended up liking the Rega turntables better.

Recommendations are welcome.

andylsun

After to listening to a bunch of different speakers (which is the best way to do it, yo) I picked up a pair of the B&W 683 last year and they are hands down the best set of fronts I've ever owned. I found the 684's weren't quite punchy enough but the 683's deliver and then some.

As the old rule dictates, spend more of your budget on your speakers rather than the receiver. Amps come and go every 5/10 years both quality and technology wise but good quality speakers can see you out for at least a couple of decades.

Plus if you go B&W you can be all like "can your speakers deflect bullets?" to your friends when they come over until they either buy a set or stop coming around altogether.

On a related note, I'm finding myself choosing between an upgraded Performance Pack Rega RP1 or paying more and going the RP3. Listened to the Pro-ject Debut and one other (Carbon I think?) but I ended up liking the Rega turntables better.

Recommendations are welcome.

When I buy a pair of new speakers (instead of old Craigslist and town recycling finds) B&w 683's are top of my list. I have a pair of Dm220's that are ace but don't quite go low enough for me (without adding a sub).

I think the RP3 would be better if you can afford it. Always a little suspicious of getting a lower TT with mods than starting higher up the food chain but stock.

Mononoke

Banned
I have over a 100 vinyl (mostly new records from the 00s) - and some rare ones, like an original French Pink Floyd Animals pink vinyl from the 70s or an original yellow Achtung Baby vinyl.

However, I just never have the time to listen to vinyl anymore. And I haven't really kept up my setup. Vinyl is hard to ship and sell too, so I haven't even bothered selling or giving them away free. They just collect dust.

Top Bottom