• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Mononoke

Banned
catatonic can I have your records

I would totally give them away, if shipping wasn't such a pain. There is like a specific way you have to ship vinyl so they don't get warped. And like I said, I have a lot of vinyl. Some of them are limited Edition pressings like In Rainbows, or I have some Bob Dylan Bootleg series (and they are in these huge boxes).

Would be a massive pain.

Alucrid

Banned
I have over a 100 vinyl (mostly new records from the 00s) - and some rare ones, like an original French Pink Floyd Animals pink vinyl from the 70s or an original yellow Achtung Baby vinyl.

However, I just never have the time to listen to vinyl anymore. And I haven't really kept up my setup. Vinyl is hard to ship and sell too, so I haven't even bothered selling or giving them away free. They just collect dust.

Haha. Last summer I sold all my records. Like, 300 of them. Was such a pain in the ass, but I'm glad it's done and over with.

I've got a question for you guys, we bought an old record player off of Craigslist and I want to replace the needle. Are record needles a standardized part? I'm not talking about replacing the entire cartridge, just the tiny needle? I took it out of the cartridge assembly to get a look at it and it looks like it would be a standardized piece across all record players.

Flo_Evans

I've got a question for you guys, we bought an old record player off of Craigslist and I want to replace the needle. Are record needles a standardized part? I'm not talking about replacing the entire cartridge, just the tiny needle? I took it out of the cartridge assembly to get a look at it and it looks like it would be a standardized piece across all record players.

They are usually cartridge specific. http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Replacement-Stylus

post a pic of it?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I have over a 100 vinyl (mostly new records from the 00s) - and some rare ones, like an original French Pink Floyd Animals pink vinyl from the 70s or an original yellow Achtung Baby vinyl.

However, I just never have the time to listen to vinyl anymore. And I haven't really kept up my setup. Vinyl is hard to ship and sell too, so I haven't even bothered selling or giving them away free. They just collect dust.

Hnmmmmm if I had some fund age right now I'd sen you boxes of pre made vinyl shipping boxes. Fill em up and send them back to the return address ;)

Wow, I do not envy you!

Well, actually I do envy you. But shipping them out must have been a pain.

I just got a lot of 20 records I bought from Ebay and it cost the guy $8 to ship them media mail. I had him take the records out of the jackets and stack them on top, and none of the albums arrived warped.

Thraktor

I would totally give them away, if shipping wasn't such a pain. There is like a specific way you have to ship vinyl so they don't get warped. And like I said, I have a lot of vinyl. Some of them are limited Edition pressings like In Rainbows, or I have some Bob Dylan Bootleg series (and they are in these huge boxes).

Would be a massive pain.

Where are you? Is there a local website you could sell them through, so the buyer can just drop over and pick them up personally?

FLEABttn

Banned
The blade runner soundtrack might be one of the cleanest pieces of audio I've heard.

I'll take a picture when a couple more things I have on order come in.

Flo_Evans

PPDh6od.jpg

I've got over a couple hundred punk records 7's 10's and 12's from the 70's and 80's. Yet I haven't had a turntable in years. Good thing they still make DJ turntables so I'll get one eventually.

Flo_Evans

how much did you pay for outrun? I saw it today for 50.

$33 off amazon I think. (Just checked still in stock) My son's favorite record. Loves to dance to it. He likes it so much he scribbled all over the cover with a pen. Gotta love kids, at least he only destroyed the art and bit the record.

FLEABttn

Banned
did RAM come out already? how is it, worth buying?

Amazon seemingly pushed up delivery of it because everyone else broke street date (i got it today). It doesn't come out until tomorrow.

I think it's as good as discovery, and better than homework and human after all. The sound quality is quite a bit better than the CD.

-Mikey-

$33 off amazon I think. (Just checked still in stock) My son's favorite record. Loves to dance to it. He likes it so much he scribbled all over the cover with a pen. Gotta love kids, at least he only destroyed the art and bit the record.

Is that the Deluxe Edition of Outrun? Got mine last week and it's pretty nice. The hard cover reminds me of my old yearbooks.

-Mikey-

Relationship of Command will be getting another run this August! I missed out on the RSD release and a small supply at Hot Topic.

D.Lo

You should, that's a very pretty looking record, cover, sleeves and all. The French translation is a nice touch !
Thanks! See below for some explanation as to why it is French...
Wow, you got it, it's a direct reference to that poster. I love Saul Bass' work, and wanted a '60s jazz record' like image for the cover. Several of our gig posters have also been Saul Bass influenced.

Also originally the girl was holding a gun, as a counterpoint to St Joan's cross. Decided we didn't want a gun on the cover so changed it to drum sticks.

I am new to the vinyl record scene. I am looking to get a decent record player/ turntable without having to drop a boat load of cash. Can anybody recommend one? ALso... I am clueless to how the whole sound thing works. Will I need to buy speakers separtly? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

derder

I am new to the vinyl record scene. I am looking to get a decent record player/ turntable without having to drop a boat load of cash. Can anybody recommend one? ALso... I am clueless to how the whole sound thing works. Will I need to buy speakers separtly? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

head-fi.org might be a better resource for getting started.

-Mikey-

I can't decide if I want to buy this or not. It is undoubtably good, but I can't find myself in the mood to listen to it most of the time. I have High Violet, love it, I just don't know if I need more?

Yes, you do. I wasn't too impressed by it, but fell in love during multiple listens. Comes with mp3 and flac!

Dwayne

all right fine someone get me something to paste. don't make it dumb with graphics and stuff

I made this a while ago (quote for link)

If you want to remove the graphics that's fine. It's not 100% complete but is better than the current OT :p

btw it's set so anyone can edit it, so go ahead and add to it if you like

Dwayne

have a look at the op, ask any questions you have

Danielsan

I can't decide if I want to buy this or not. It is undoubtably good, but I can't find myself in the mood to listen to it most of the time. I have High Violet, love it, I just don't know if I need more?
As with any type of music, you need to be in the mood for it. According to my Last.fn account I've scrobbled The National (Alligator, The Boxer, High Violet and Trouble Will Find me, though mostly the latter) around 347 times over the past 4 weeks, and that data is probably not even complete. So needless to say, I was in the mood for the The National. I highly recommend picking up the new album and giving it a good amount of listens. As with pretty much all their work, it takes a couple of listens before things start to click. Initially I was underwhelmed by the singles they released prior to the album leak/release, but I quickly found myself completely in love with those songs, and the entire album for that matter.

Yes, you do. I wasn't too impressed by it, but fell in love during multiple listens. Comes with mp3 and flac!
Yep, it's another grower and even after 25-30 listens over the course of a short period, I'm still not sick of it. Great packaging too, as per usual, and the flac download is just icing on the cake.

Top Bottom