• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

omgkitty

I made this a while ago (quote for link)

If you want to remove the graphics that's fine. It's not 100% complete but is better than the current OT :p

btw it's set so anyone can edit it, so go ahead and add to it if you like

Thanks for introducing me to the u-Turn Orbit when I can't even buy it yet :(

FLEABttn

Banned
Here's the first half of my recent acquisitions. The BT album cover was supposedly signed by him.

iJ9Ybr2v4PKIw.jpg

BeeDog

Excuse my ignorance, but what turntable do you have? It obviously emulates the classic, but the color of it throws me off. Is it a Reloop?

andylsun

Excuse my ignorance, but what turntable do you have? It obviously emulates the classic, but the color of it throws me off. Is it a Reloop?

It's a real Technics sl1200 mkii. Bought it as a parts unit for $40. The plinth was trashed, so sanded it down to bare metal and spray painted it with sparkly blue car paint. It looks ok, but going to do it again and lacquer it next time after the top coat. May get the transfer graphics off eBay to put under the lacquer which would finish it off lovely.

Fitted new main bearing spindle and rewired the tone arm and its completely awesome. The black heat shrink on the tone arm is party to help with sound,partly to hide the corrosion on the tube.

Edit: instant crush is soooooo good.

Some more used record pic ups

csyEWMAl.jpg

andymcc

Banned
lots of RAM in here.... I'll post my recent pick ups...

b7HxLZel.jpg

the Loveless is original and my girlfriend ordered it and had it shipped to me while she's in Europe. she rules.

So I've 100% settled on the Marantz PM5004 and pro-ject debut (black or white), will use some old speakers I have now for a month or so until I can save up for a proper pair. Will make the purchases in 2 weeks

really excited to actually be able to hear these vinyls I started collecting pretty recently, thanks to vinyl-GAF for the advice given up to this point

butzopower

proud of his butz
What's a good pair of speakers to get? I currently have two Sony APM-615s from the 80s that I got from a whole set when I moved to San Francisco. I'm in a pretty tiny room, maybe 12 feet by 12 feet. Not really looking to spend more than $500, but probably could.

Also, I just upgraded my receiver to a Onkyo TX-8255. I don't have a pre-amp, should I?

What's a good pair of speakers to get? I currently have two Sony APM-615s from the 80s that I got from a whole set when I moved to San Francisco. I'm in a pretty tiny room, maybe 12 feet by 12 feet. Not really looking to spend more than $500, but probably could.

Also, I just upgraded my receiver to a Onkyo TX-8255. I don't have a pre-amp, should I?

B&W 685's can be had for about that price used if you look around.

If your Onkyo receiver has an Phono-input, then you don't need a separate pre-amp. However, it's usually best to go with a separate pre-amp in the long run.

omgkitty

8849622199_f8d28150ce_c.jpg

So I was just in the store and came across a couple of copies of nostalgia,ULTRA. on vinyl. I found it kind of strange considering that it's never been released officially as far as I know. Needless to say, I had to buy it. I was also pleasantly surprised that it's on clear vinyl.

So I was just in the store and came across a couple of copies of nostalgia,ULTRA. on vinyl. I found it kind of strange considering that it's never been released officially as far as I know. Needless to say, I had to buy it. I was also pleasantly surprised that it's on clear vinyl.

It's a bootleg. Most likely pressed from low quality audio files.

Yeah looks like you're right. http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/03/30/nostalgia-ultra-being-pressed-for-rsd/ Oh well. The highest quality files available are going to be from the mixtape he released, and those weren't that great to begin with. Still cool to have as it will never officially be released it seems.
You're actually lucky; that's going to be worth a ton if it isn't already. The Channel Orange bootleg release is highly sought after, and I know the Nostalgia Ultra pressing is super limited. Not sure why there's no official pressing of his albums, if the demand is so clearly there.

You're actually lucky; that's going to be worth a ton if it isn't already. The Channel Orange bootleg release is highly sought after, and I know the Nostalgia Ultra pressing is super limited. Not sure why there's no official pressing of his albums, if the demand is so clearly there.

Bootlegs are never worth anything. You can buy Channel Orange on discogs for 20 bucks.

Bootlegs are never worth anything. You can buy Channel Orange on discogs for 20 bucks.

This, the bootlegs for both are quite easy to find

Local store owner can get me the marantz pm5004 for $400, so I'll definitely pick it up next week, hopefully he can save me a few bucks on the pro-ject carbon

omgkitty

I love the mix of people saying the Frank Ocean was a nice buy and the "it's a bootleg that probably sounds like shit and isn't worth anything."

This, the bootlegs for both are quite easy to find
I was under the impression both were limited, and would go up a ton in value once the market dried up. Guess I was wrong about that, my bad.

Did a check on eBay and the ridiculous prices sellers are asking for it threw me off guard.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Being a bootleg doesn't always mean that it's shitty and/or worth anything.

Considering it's source is a digital audio file pack of either 256kbp AAC format or a v0 transcode Frank did himself, I can't imagine it being all that great.

But I'd still like to own it.

CRS

I haven't listened to my copy but I was under the impression that they used the same mp3 files that we have. The highest quality version of the tape is the 192 kbps download, right?

I was under the impression both were limited, and would go up a ton in value once the market dried up. Guess I was wrong about that, my bad.

Did a check on eBay and the ridiculous prices sellers are asking for it threw me off guard.

eBay isn't always the best judge for market price because of the flippers out there

andylsun

Once you get into the realms of SP-15 TT's or other TT's that don't come with a dedicated tonearm, it's easy to site multiple arms around. Perhaps one for Stereo, one with a dedicated mono cart, and one for 78 rpm?

Or just to A-B different carts/styluses to see which you like more. I sometimes switch carts and headshells on my TT's depending if I've not heard a cart for a while.

Say a Shure M97XE can have quite muted treble, so something like an M91ED makes a nice change if you find that it's a bit dull, but M97 tracks warped records better with the stylus brush down.

Dwayne

Sick morning garage sailing. I found a record player and asked after it, and then proceeded to ask if he had any records for sale. The guy was really reluctant and was saying how they were all worth a lot of money, but let me look anyway. He had lots of junk, but a lot of great stuff too. Figuring he was going to charge me a lot, I put a few records back before presenting what I had grabbed.
He started looking through them, Leonard Cohen $1, etc... I was soooooo excited. He charged me $20 the lot, I couldn't believe it I was expecting to be paying that each. So I promptly paid and asked if I could go back and look again but he wouldn't let me, doh! So while i've got a few regrets putting back records (let it be among them), I'm in no position to complain:
YmVyWDKl.jpg
Zb6y9JRl.jpg

Also, 50c each elsewhere:
kF8TMPph.jpg

Also got an amazing game grab for $9. I've never had such a great morning!!

Dwayne

Continuing from my previous post, after I posted I started thinking more and more about the records I missed out on, so I jumped in the car and drove back over to the garage sale (it was after 11am, I didn't have high hopes it'd still be on). he was still there, so I asked again if I could go back and look again... and reluctantly again, he let me!

The guy wasn't silly, he knew they were worth a lot more than what he was selling for, but for whatever reason he priced them cheap anyway. I paid $65 for everything that follows. Pure madness, so happy.

P2rfW0Bl.jpg
C63Vgffl.jpg
Z4utXkFl.jpg
O6O0CFcl.jpg
6FqI3Vml.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm doing a comparison of the new Queens of the Stone Age record of the Vinyl and CD versions.

It's like night and day, the Vinyl is perfectly separated for each instrument and levels are perfectly balanced. The CD is racked up so loud and everything is so flat.

Sometimes I can't believe people can't hear this difference, it's such a shame because it's so amazing.

andylsun

I'm doing a comparison of the new Queens of the Stone Age record of the Vinyl and CD versions.

It's like night and day, the Vinyl is perfectly separated for each instrument and levels are perfectly balanced. The CD is racked up so loud and everything is so flat.

Sometimes I can't believe people can't hear this difference, it's such a shame because it's so amazing.

Try it with any recent red hot chilli peppers release - I know the CD mastering is deliberate, but it's awful!

Erekiddo

It finally happened vinyl-GAF

my first ever record player

Awesome! You went with the black. Looks slick. I remember you stating you were looking into this one when I had posted pictures of the red one I was interested in. (I ended up getting it.)

What other stuff do you have it hooked up to?

Awesome! You went with the black. Looks slick. I remember you stating you were looking into this one when I had posted pictures of the red one I was interested in. (I ended up getting it.)

What other stuff do you have it hooked up to?

Thanks, right now it's hooked up to my computer Harmon Kardon speakers as a temporary speaker. I'm getting the Marantz PM5004 for the amp and I'm still unsure about speakers. I will probably roll with this setup for a month or two before I decide which speakers I want for sure

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Why would you want to? Wear and tear on an LP sleeve is beautiful. That's personality, it has a story and its own history.

One of my pet peeves of listening to vinyl was that I wasn't able to scrobble my plays onto Last.fm (I know..). I've started using CogScrobbler to manually scrobble my plays and it's been working like a charm. You can save albums to your own personal library to make re-scrobbling the tracks easy for the future. dope stuff.

One of my pet peeves of listening to vinyl was that I wasn't able to scrobble my plays onto Last.fm (I know..). I've started using CogScrobbler to manually scrobble my plays and it's been working like a charm. You can save albums to your own personal library to make re-scrobbling the tracks easy for the future. dope stuff.

Incredible, thank you so much for this! Didn't even know such a thing existed.

Top Bottom