• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

andylsun

Thank you very much for your help. I will tell him to repair it himself and I will pay for the turntable plus the reparation. If he does not do it then I'll pass.

Good idea. I would pay €20 for a basket case SL-1500 so I could practice trying to repair it, but wouldn't pay €90 unless it was demonstrated as working (holds correct speed and tracks the stylus properly)

Just wanted to say it's been a joy for since getting my first record player recently to be able to actually play these records I've bought, go through 1 a day on average, make time for it every night, like rediscovering music

I got this yesterday. It's a test press of Tomorrow's Harvest, by Boards of Canada.

Pretty excited about this.

KLsDOn3.jpg

Errr, how did you get this? What's the deadwax codes?

A record store here in Salt Lake City was having a contest. Anyone who bought Tomorrow's Harvest on release day was given a code word to email to them to be entered to win. I was the lucky winner. It's got the same exact codes in the deadwax that my normal release has.

Anyone use the Polk TSI 300 or 400 floorstanding speakers for their 2.0 setup? I have small sony bookshelf speakers and want to upgrade to something a little better with fuller sound. Subwoofer is not really an option. Used with Marantz PM5004 and debut carbon.

Yeah, don't. It's just plastic and not really worth your money. If you want to rip records you can easily do the same via the RCA-output. With that money you could find a better (vintage) turntable from flea markets or online etc.

I was able to win an auction for a Technics SL-QD33 for 30 euros. Is that a good deal?

$(KGrHqR,!nYFG2Qo)dmwBRuct2VEHg~~60_85.JPG

RDreamer

I have an Audio Technica LP60, and I just moved and set it up again and have a bit of a problem. It seems to be playing waaaaay too slow. Does that mean that maybe the belt got stretched and a I need a new one or would that be another problem?

New stuff! This is Harmonicraft by Torche. So colorful! I love what they did with the LP. Very nice (and huge) gatefold cover, clear vinyl and even a lollipop slipmat!
The album itself is really heavy but uplifting. Kind of a mix between party stoner rock & pop. It all fits together really well somehow.

Dwayne

I have an Audio Technica LP60, and I just moved and set it up again and have a bit of a problem. It seems to be playing waaaaay too slow. Does that mean that maybe the belt got stretched and a I need a new one or would that be another problem?

Quite possibly. I had this issue with a record player I was fixing up and a new belt corrected it. Set to 45, a 33 would play at around the right speed :D
Otherwise you may have a motor issue. Depending on your motor, you may be able to adjust the speed on a pot.

Dwayne

Nice. You guys are so lucky to have ikea in you're country, in New Zealand all the Ikea stuff is privately imported from Australia. Expect a 80% markup on anything. That said, i've got a 4x4 Expedit coming this week, very excited :)

Scalibur

Recieved my limited Gatsby soundtrack. It came with a pair of cotton gloves and handling instructions. Beautiful kit. Will post pics later.

So I finally got my set up!

Technics SL-QD33
Pioneer A-109 Amplifier
Eltax Millennium 100 speakers (do any of you guys know this brand? first time I hear of it)

120 euros altogether, not bad at all! Well... if everything works as it should of course. I could not try it out yet because the turntable came without RCA cables or ground cable (they are separate on this model) so I need to grab one tomorrow.

I think there is something wrong with the turntable, though, because the record size detector for full LP is always down, so I guess that I will not be able to play 7'' records unless I fix it. Here's a picture.

Also I think I should get a new needle...

Do you guys think I will have trouble finding one for this cartdrige?

So I finally got my set up!

Technics SL-QD33
Pioneer A-109 Amplifier
Eltax Millennium 100 speakers (do any of you guys know this brand? first time I hear of it)

120 euros altogether, not bad at all! Well... if everything works as it should of course. I could not try it out yet because the turntable came without RCA cables or ground cable (they are separate on this model) so I need to grab one tomorrow.

I think there is something wrong with the turntable, though, because the record size detector for full LP is always down, so I guess that I will not be able to play 7'' records unless I fix it. Here's a picture.

Also I think I should get a new needle...

Do you guys think I will have trouble finding one for this cartdrige?

You should be able to play 7" inch records even if the automatics are "stuck", just lift the tonearm to the record and it will return normally after the record ends.

Here's some talk about the cartridge:
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21210

andylsun

Even if you bought those records to chuck the vinyl in the bin and mount the sleeves on the wall you've got a hell of a good deal.

They all get played! Had an early Depeche Mode revival in my car this morning. Reminds me I need to find a vinyl copy of Music for the Masses - prob my favourite album of theirs

omgkitty

Just a heads up to those who ordered it: I just received my MOON EP.

71/100

Same here. No extra's either :( I found it strange that it came from the UK as well, especially since he's based in the US, but oh well.

I have 73/100...took me a while to figure out it was written on the inside of the sleeve.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Time for a bump. I've been meaning to post in this thread forever.

Here are some recent additions:

La Luz - Brainwash 7"
Billie Holiday - Ladylove
No Joy - Wait to Pleasure
YAMANTAKA // SONIC TITAN - YT//ST
Charley (sic) Christian - Jazz Immortal

It's been a great year for new music, which has been terrible for my wallet.

CRS

Nice!

I need to get Plastic Beach and The Fall to complete my collection.

Edit: or just the Fall, I think. Can't remember if I picked up an LP copy or not.

omgkitty

Just got this in the mail:

9294360991_e10923663a_c.jpg

Comes with a nice set of a blue and a red vinyl. Too bad the download code is for a bunch of 192kb files.

Top Bottom