• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

andylsun

Found this used. Single sided with writing on the b side that says

Love might bring us back together
Music sounds better with you

Cost $1.99

Very pleased

Q7Be2n3m.jpg

pablito

sup vinyl gaf! super new in the whole vinyl game. past month i got a starter turntable (audio technica, can't remember exact model at the moment) and it's just hooked up to some computer speakers. i'll most likely be getting that kickstarter uturn when it drops, but i haven't yet decided on the rest of the setup. i'll have pics of my records soon to show off.

question - is there a place that sells just the covers of the albums, or places where you could get one made? there's a record for sale that's VERY cheap, but it has no cover. it's like 90% cheaper than regular, so i really want to get it. but i'd like to have a cover for it, preferably the actual cover for the album (or at least something that looks like it).

RDreamer

Got a new belt in the mail for my turntable, so I'm pretty happy about that. Also got a brand new record for standing up in my sister's wedding. Her new husband is really into music and vinyl, too, so he got everyone something. I scored The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour." I really need to get my Beatles collection into gear, since I only have Sgt. Peppers, a really really beat up copy of Rubber Soul, and now this.

Any Uk guys have any recomendatiosn for online shops?
I use Red eye / Chemical the most but Im after some MF DOOM stuff and they dont stock that.

Theres viny digital webshop in Europe that has Mm food and its listing madvillany as being in stock on the 28th but Im not sure I trust that date as its not up for pre-order anywhere else and thats a sunday..

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
recent pickups

photo59o66.jpg

from left to right:

Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons
Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin
Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Homeboy Sandman - Kool Herc
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

that QoTSA package is a marvel to behold. I bought the deluxe edition so it came with 180 gram Vinyl, super heavy stock sleeves, extremely heavy cover and a nice weight for the paper stock that's built into the cover itself. Probably my favorite purchase of the year so far as far as records go.

amnesiac

I've had three or four orders from Discogs and they've all been great. I had an order actually come in the mail today.

Haves ordered 5x from there, including one from Denmark, all good experience

Like eBay, just make sure user feedback is good and abundant

Cool, gonna order some stuff tonight.

recent pickups

photo59o66.jpg

from left to right:

that QoTSA package is a marvel to behold. I bought the deluxe edition so it came with 180 gram Vinyl, super heavy stock sleeves, extremely heavy cover and a nice weight for the paper stock that's built into the cover itself. Probably my favorite purchase of the year so far as far as records go.

Is that copy of Remain In Light the original or a reissue?

wenis

That is an original pressing :) my entire Talking Heads collection is original pressings, I made damn well sure of that. Remain in Light took forever to find too! (only because I try and not use Discogs too often, the moment of finding that record you've been searching for after awhile is a feeling that can not be replicated by buying it online).

STG!

I got about 3000 records.

Just bought a whole bunch of classic tunes with some breaks I don't have, can't wait to start chopping them up this weekend! :-D I haven't been buying too much vinyl as I bought another synth recently, heh.

Edit:

Thought you guys might appreciate these:

1sOkAbQl.jpg

Source.

Whoa, that is badass, I've never seen that model Technics before.

Took me over a month to finally get mine, but it's really awesome. Artwork/lyric sheets is/are beautiful.

-Mikey-

I really want to get the Studio Ghibli LP and then I listened to a majority of the tracks. It's not bad by any means, but I don't see myself listening to it more than once.

Great packaging and care went into this release.

amnesiac

Great. Something happened to my needle and now everything sounds distorted. It was a cheap cartridge anyway. Looking for new ones... I might get the Shure M97xE...

andylsun

Great. Something happened to my needle and now everything sounds distorted. It was a cheap cartridge anyway. Looking for new ones... I might get the Shure M97xE...

M97 is a steal at the price, what cart do you have? Cheap carts aren't necessarily bad, so a new stylus may be enough

recent pickups

photo59o66.jpg

from left to right:

i need talking heads remain in light album too.

Right now I'm in for a bidding on task talk's spirit of Eden and it's only at 17 euros! Good I hope I get . I'd be willing to pay 50€ for it.

amnesiac

M97 is a steal at the price, what cart do you have? Cheap carts aren't necessarily bad, so a new stylus may be enough

I have an Audio Technica CN5625AL cartridge on my retro Pioneer turntable. The replacement stylus costs nearly the same price as the cartridge itself, so going with the Shure might be a good decision.

I'm still really confused about what happened though... It was working perfect until I put Creedence on. It's relatively new too.

STG!

I'm still really confused about what happened though... It was working perfect until I put Creedence on. It's relatively new too.

You might have just gotten a bad stylus. I got a Shure replacement stylus that the needle was bent more upwards, so when it sat in the grooves the bottom of the cartridge actually touched the vinyl. I never noticed it when I first installed it, just popped it on like I usually do. I thought I was hearing things when I took off my headphones, as the contact was audible! :(

Thankfully the vinyl was fine, but it certainly opened my eyes to it! In all the years I've had turntables that never happened to me before.

ATF487

YESSSSSS!!!
Found what could be one of my top 5 records of all time in mint condition for only 25 euros! So happy

Whoa, I just bought this same LP yesterday, although it was the reissued one that might have been digitally sourced or some nonsense like that

Also got Big Star's no.1 record.

wenis

I just picked up my new(ish) Pro Ject Debut III turntable from a friend who sold me his 5 month old model for $200. I'm fuckin stoked right now and it sounds beautiful as an upgrade from my Sony PS-T3.

Now I just need to upgrade my speakers. Then my receiver.

Beauty Shot

and 3 pick ups
Bill Evans Trio - Moon Beam
LCD Soundsystem - 45:33
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

and one copy of Run The Jewels signed by both Killer Mike and El-P

Untitlednoqu4.jpg

picked this one up yesterday for $6.99. Apparently its rare, not a huge PTM fan, but my wife likes em

R8uUOGfl.jpg

portugal the man - satanic satanist on clear vinyl

also got the newest portugal the man for 10 bucks, 311 soundsystem for 14 bucks, and 311 music for 12 bucks.

Top Bottom